PDA

View Full Version : Name this highway

coffee_weasle
05-20-2016, 01:50 PM
(hint, california)

3Chief
05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
I don't remember the number but I do believe that's Senora Pass...

imscots
05-20-2016, 02:11 PM
hwy 330, road going up to Big Bear

Patch
05-20-2016, 02:14 PM
Hwy 108...photo is named...but like 3 Chief said...Sonora Pass

BIGLRY
05-20-2016, 02:48 PM
State Route 108, also known as Highway 108. SR 108 runs generally northeast across central California from Modesto crossing the Sierra Nevada at Sonora Pass, to U.S. Route 395 near the Nevada state line. The route was once recommended to continue south of Modesto to Interstate 5, although today the route is a county road. Parts of SR 108 are closed annually during the winter due to inclement weather along the summit. Highway 108 is one of many great rides in the golden state.:icon_biggrin:

taxfree4
05-20-2016, 03:09 PM
State Route 108, also known as Highway 108. SR 108 runs generally northeast across central California from Modesto crossing the Sierra Nevada at Sonora Pass, to U.S. Route 395 near the Nevada state line. The route was once recommended to continue south of Modesto to Interstate 5, although today the route is a county road. Parts of SR 108 are closed annually during the winter due to inclement weather along the summit. Highway 108 is one of many great rides in the golden state.:icon_biggrin:

Big Larry, I'm afraid to ask the GPS coordinates of that particular sign because I know damn sure you would have them... off the top of your head.

BIGLRY
05-20-2016, 04:32 PM
Big Larry, I'm afraid to ask the GPS coordinates of that particular sign because I know damn sure you would have them... off the top of your head.
38.3277 N, 119.6368 W or near about:icon_lol:

At 9,623' elev. Sonora Pass is the second-highest highway pass in the Sierra Nevada, lower by 321 ft. than Tioga Pass to the south. Having been born and raised in Calif. and ridden most of Calif's. good MC roads over the last 65+ years I would rate State Route 108 as one of the 10 best in the state. :yes:
I had to cheat, I did not know the GPS coordinates of that particular sign only Sonora Pass and not off the top of my head, but off my Bikes's GPS.:icon_mrgreen:

3Chief
05-20-2016, 04:39 PM

At 9,623' elev. Sonora Pass is the second-highest highway pass in the Sierra Nevada, lower by 321 ft. than Tioga Pass to the south. Having been born and raised in Calif. and ridden most of Calif's. good MC roads over the last 65+ years I would rate State Route 108 as one of the 10 best in the state. :yes:
I had to cheat, I did not know the GPS coordinates of that particular sign only Sonora Pass and not off the top of my head, but off my Bikes's GPS.:icon_mrgreen:

I drove it last year...I don't recommend it in a truck with a camper hauling a bike trailer...Was an awesome drive but the GF was freaking out the whole time. I'm heading back down south next week and hopefully get to run it on the B sometime during my time there.

taxfree4
05-20-2016, 05:42 PM

I still would have bet the house you had the coordinates of either the sign or the Pass. BTW I did a C2C in July of 2015 to San Francisco, had I known Sonora Pass was within striking distance I would have hit it since it's in your top 10.

BIGLRY
05-20-2016, 06:15 PM
I still would have bet the house you had the coordinates of either the sign or the Pass. BTW I did a C2C in July of 2015 to San Francisco, had I known Sonora Pass was within striking distance I would have hit it since it's in your top 10.
There is always next time my friend:icon_lol:

taxfree4
05-20-2016, 06:43 PM
There is always next time my friend:icon_lol:

Amen to that. I had a ride in appointment at Russell but got caught in a storm in Mill City, Nevada on July 8th the likes I've never seen in my life. Hail/torrential rain and a 30 mph south wind, gusting to who knows, that deputy sheriff's closed down I-80. Nothing like standing in the rain for 90 minutes till the flooded interstate waters subside. Called Russell, told them my predicament, they refunded my deposit, top notch operation. Waited 2 years for that ride and that appointment so I WILL go back, except the next time I see a storm curtain... I'll stay in Winnemucca.

seadog
05-20-2016, 06:47 PM
(hint, california)

I think with a 26% grade they should have called it Hell's Drop! My God a 9% grade is bad enough let alone one that steep.

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 06:51 PM

I grew up riding the canyons of So-Cal. This one was one of my all time favs. I could spend a whole day hitting all the canyons in the Santa Monicas, some maybe multiple times in both directions. Long before all the squids over ran it and turned the area into a CHiP convention. Mulholland being a perfect example.
Grew up in Simi Valley.
The Santa Susana Pass Road between Simi and San Fernando Valley used to be one of the only ways in from the valley before the 118 freeway. We settled all our grudge matches on 'The Pass'. Everyone I know left skin and paint on that road. And off the side of it. Another favorite sunday ride was the backway to Santa Paula out of Moorpark to the 150 to the 33 out of Ojai to either the Pine Mountain Inn or Frazier Park via Lockwood cutoff. Anyone remember the moto movie doc called 'Take It To The Limit'? Movie opens with roadracer Dave Emde on a bonestock XS11 whipping up to 130 on the 33 before he got into a high speed wobble.

MotoMike
05-20-2016, 06:53 PM
uh-oh. Didn't mean to sidetrack. my apologies.

53driver
05-20-2016, 07:15 PM
uh-oh. Didn't mean to sidetrack. my apologies.

Happens all the time mate, just as long as you say you are sorry, all is forgiven - mostly......

And especially if the hi-jack is worthwhile and not a monotone soliloquy on how Stroh's parents abused him and Shooter was made to watch.....

BIGLRY
05-20-2016, 11:21 PM
Happens all the time mate, just as long as you say you are sorry, all is forgiven - mostly......

And especially if the hi-jack is worthwhile and not a monotone soliloquy on how Stroh's parents abused him and Shooter was made to watch.....
:icon_laugh::stirthepot:

3Chief
05-24-2016, 03:02 PM
I think with a 26% grade they should have called it Hell's Drop! My God a 9% grade is bad enough let alone one that steep.
It would be an awesome ride tho, I had a blast in the truck but I like a challenge. On the B it would very cool...