PDA

View Full Version : MRA Touring windscreen report

BIGLRY
05-21-2016, 11:01 PM
As some of you know I, like a lot of other F6B owners have gone through a few shields in our quest to get the right comfort with less buffeting or calmer air in the space between the rider and shield.
First the OEM shield sucked, it looks good, but for a guy who is 6'5" tall and 400 lbs it is more of an after thought than anything that gives any type of wind protection IMO, in fact it pushed the wind right into my chest after having my RDL saddle made which raised me even higher than the stock saddle. After putting real tall shield on which was to wobbly when pushed into the triple digits I reinstalled a 16" Clockworks flair I had bought that was just to short, I re-drilled the holes to get almost another 2" in height and that helped enough that I could live with it, but is was not perfect.

Now Taxfree makes a post about the MRA X-CREEN TOURING and how he is going cross country with it add to his shield. I pm him...wondering (thinking out side of the box of course). How did it mount and did he think it could be added to a Clockworks flair? He did not know, but he had the mounting template and when he got back from his trip he would mail me the template so I could see if it would work on the flair. A few weeks go by and the template show up in the mail, I set up against the Clockworks flair and see real fast it would have to be mounted lower than the recommended position, but that it is doable. I check out the X-CREEN TOURING at https://www.mrashop.de/com/universal-screens/x-creen-part-xcsa-xcta-/ and I find it comes in tint or clear with two mounting options, clamp or drill and bolt along with two ways to run it, first in a fixed position with only a tilt adjustment or with adjustable arms so not only can you tilt you can raise or lower it. The testimonials sure were good and it is supposed to be good at high speed lifting the air higher over your head.

I check out the prices and it is not in the cards right then so that mod went on the back burner until Russ (rdeady) put up for sale a clear MRA X-CREEN TOURING in mint condition at a price I can handle so I contact him and the deal was done, yesterday the big brown truck delivered everything. It took me about 20 min to set the template, drill the four holes and install everything(this was not the clamp on mount model). I did have to lower the mounting holes lower than recommended about 2 1/2" due to the curve of the flair, but with the adjustable arms on it would set the X-CREEN up above the flair hopefully far enough to do what I wanted.

Okay hear comes the fun part....the test ride. I gear up and head out to the 101 freeway where the traffic is running around 75 MPH and there are real stiff breezes about 30 knots coming off the Pacific ocean for a nice headwind one way and a tailwind the other. I had adjusted the X-CREEN all the way up and tilted as far back as it would go to start, after my first 3 mile run against the wind I can tell it is working fairly nice, but I stop and adjust it with a more straight up angle which is easy to do with no tools needed, it clicks at each setting so you won't move one side more than the other and it is very secure in the mounts and adjustments. This time I make a 3 mile run downwind then turn around and do one against the wind......All I can say is I am very impressed with the results, I can put my hand just even with the top of the X-CREEN and as I move it up & down I can feel how much the air has been lifted over the X-CREEN and my head. As a big smile breaks out I head to a remote area out in the countryside where there is a road I have use for many years as a test bed for high speed runs, it is about 2 miles of perfectly straight flat smooth asphalt with no intersections, trees or anything just road and flat fields of wheat or garbanzo beans on both side with no fences anywhere (I have run off into the fields before):shhh:
I kicked the 6 in the ass and hit the triple digits and to my amazement the X-CREEN was not only rock solid it had lifted the air and allowed me to turn my head without worrying about my glasses coming off which has always been an issue when running at high speed on any scoot I run.
I never did adjust it any more other than the one time, I think I will put some miles on it like it is before doing any more adjusting.
Over all I love it and think I have found the right set up for me and my F6B. The only con would be the cost as the X-CREEN is a bit pricey new IMO, but then I think in this instance you get what you pay for.:icon_biggrin:
20951 20952

20953 20954

Phantom
05-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Great minds think alike ….

I had discovered 4 suppliers 2 years ago for this type of set-up.
I attempted to have WindVest produce a F6B specific deflector with a curve on top using very similar brackets.

it's the way to go.

faz
05-22-2016, 03:40 AM
is that the MRA touring or sport screen ?

taxfree4
05-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Congratulations, it looks perfect on the Klockwerks. It boggles the mind how well this little piece of plastic makes such a huge difference. It's Autobahn tested and can handle a beating, as you proved, and turns a good ride into a great ride. The beauty of it is the maneuverability to divert that wind any way you need it.

willtill
05-22-2016, 06:08 AM
Good write up.

It's seems to work like a mini-Madstad windshield?

Takes a lot of testicular fortitude to drill a shield and mount an accessory such as this. :shhh: BIGLRY paving the way for others to follow... :yes:

willtill
05-22-2016, 07:10 AM
Here is the link to the template... if anyone is contemplating the fit of the MRA shield for their current windshield solution:

https://www.mrashop.de//media/downloads/Pruefschablone_X-Creen_Tour.pdf

http://i68.tinypic.com/2624ar8.jpg

Pap
05-22-2016, 08:10 AM
Nice write-up BIGLRY. Glad it worked out for you. There must be something real about the "Two separate" windshield design.

53driver
05-22-2016, 08:37 AM
That's awesome!
One question: at 6'5" and the RDL, are you looking over or through the screen?

willtill
05-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Nice write-up BIGLRY. Glad it worked out for you. There must be something real about the "Two separate" windshield design.

Agree... though some of these windshields (like the one BIGLRY has) incorporate a recurve... makes it puzzling to me how all of that air is being redirected with the MRX

willtill
05-22-2016, 10:00 AM
Agree... though some of these windshields (like the one BIGLRY has) incorporate a recurve... makes it puzzling to me how all of that air is being redirected with the MRX

Need to see a smoke trail of air being pushed against/past the windshields... I think if we had an easy way to rig that up with a big fan.... it would be so helpful in trying to determine what shield is right for you/me/us.

Maybe someone sitting on a trucks tailgate holding two flares... with a motorcyclist at speed with mounted experimental windshield(s) directly behind... and someone filming adjacently in a chase vehicle. Science :icon_cool:

(...here, hold my beer and watch this) :icon_mrgreen:

stevenolts
05-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Is this set up better than the Madstad?
Steve

taxfree4
05-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Made a little video of the screen today in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/PWmO0mH_OzU

BTW, bought mine at www.twistedthrottle.com

willtill
05-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Very informative video Taxfree4.

There is life left in our stock shields now... I always liked the look of the stock shield on our F6B's but not the lack of protection when the weather becomes inclement.

How does it do in rainy conditions? I know it's not going to act like a barn door, but can you reasonably continue a ride in rain at highway speeds, with the MRA mounted?

taxfree4
05-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Very informative video Taxfree4.

There is life left in our stock shields now... I always liked the look of the stock shield on our F6B's but not the lack of protection when the weather becomes inclement.

How does it do in rainy conditions? I know it's not going to act like a barn door, but can you reasonably continue a ride in rain at highway speeds, with the MRA mounted?

For sure, I hit a boat load of rain in Indiana and Iowa and kept moving without any problem. Since I use it for the 3 seasons I get hit with rain all the time. If it rains I'll strap the GoPro on and run a little video.

Pap
05-22-2016, 05:55 PM
Good job on the video. If you're looking for rain, just ride in Pennsylvania!

BIGLRY
05-22-2016, 05:57 PM
That's awesome!
One question: at 6'5" and the RDL, are you looking over or through the screen?
Hehe good ? :icon_biggrin:
I look way over the screen, I'd have to scrunch down if I wanted to look through it. The top of the 16" Klockwerks Flair is even with my tits and then the X-CREEN is about 4" higher, remember I lost about half of the potential height of the X-CREEN due to the recurve of the flair an the necessity of having to mount it lower than normally recommended by MRA.
The RDL on my F6B is 4" up and 3" back from stock, so I am almost a full head high over my shield and X-CREEN. I'll post a side view pic as soon as I can get someone to take it with me setting in the saddle.

BIGLRY
05-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Is this set up better than the Madstad?
Steve
Never rode a Madstad, but the MRA X-CREEN Touring shield is sure cheaper price wise than the Madstad at $260 to $280 depending on what height you get verses $133 for the bolt on mounting or $162 for the clamp on mount X-CREEN Touring shield. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/brand/mra-motorcycle-windshields/ I only link "Twisted Throttle" as a price reference, I do not know them, have never done any biz with them nor endorse them, I did not buy there, mine was from a forum member.

The MRA X-CREEN Touring shield may be the answer for riders who don't want to change out the OEM shield and you could use the clamp on kit and not even have to drill any holes in your shield. I'm sure glad I checked them out.
I am very curious as to how well it would work on the OEM shield and my 4" higher RDL saddle. Mounting a MRA X-CREEN Touring shield on the OEM shield would allow it to be mounted at the recommended height, thus getting more coverage than I get with it on the flair shield.

BIGLRY
05-22-2016, 06:34 PM
is that the MRA touring or sport screen ?
As in the Title of the post "MRA Touring":icon_biggrin:

BIGLRY
05-22-2016, 06:41 PM
Good write up.

It's seems to work like a mini-Madstad windshield?

Takes a lot of testicular fortitude to drill a shield and mount an accessory such as this. :shhh: BIGLRY paving the way for others to follow... :yes:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/47/a0/bd/47a0bd039da486d01c624b06b61c69ee.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/9d/84/499d84931819cefe74a1d3976cb2216a.jpg:icon_lol:

f6b4gt
05-27-2016, 05:36 PM
Just added one to the stock screen on my 2015 and am completely amazed at the difference such a small screen makes...not sure about the looks though?

BIGLRY
05-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Just added one to the stock screen on my 2015 and am completely amazed at the difference such a small screen makes...not sure about the looks though?Did you use the clamp mount or bolt on type?
Yea the looks can be offsetting to some, but I'm a
http://unbounce.com/photos/function-over-form.jpg
type rider when it comes to comfort on my F6B.:icon_lol:

KennyGLVTX
05-27-2016, 07:50 PM
Looks kind of cool to me Larry. You know different just like you.:icon_lol:

Old Ryder
05-28-2016, 06:58 AM
Go it on the stock screen. I would say it is about 85% as effective as my 11" Madstad. So the Madstad is going in the barn at least for the summer.

After the Klokwerks, Baggershield, and Madstad I wish I had done this first. I love the looks of the OEM shorty!