PDA

View Full Version : Grand Teton, Yellowstone, WY, MT advice needed

Necanefan
05-25-2016, 06:26 AM
I'm really weeks away from a week-long solo trip into WY and MT. I have no specific roads landed yet and could use some advice. I'd like to see Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone during the trip. Beartooth Pass has also been on my list. If you know of any must-ride roads and reasonable (low cost) hotels in the area, please let me know. I'll start planning out my route and stops later this week. I'd rather not book hotels ahead of time so that I can spend time exploring areas that I come across during the week, but I'm worried about getting stuck without a hotel if I do that due to the vicinity to the national parks.

a1scoot
05-25-2016, 08:26 AM
I just came thru there as I completed an 18 day, 31 state ride across America..(solo)..
I stopped for the night in Buffalo at a Super 8 motel that was very clean and reasonable $72…
As I rode thru Yellowstone and the Tetons I ended up in Jackson Wyoming and paid $114 for a motel 6…
The road I came in on was Hwy14 to 191 which dropped right thru the middle of the park and was very scenic..
Good luck and bring some good rain gear as I hit both rain and snow…
a1scoot:icon_mrgreen:

Monk
05-25-2016, 08:29 AM
I would recommend Chief Joseph (296). It runs from highway 212 back toward Cody.

Also, look at highway 14 and 14 Alt over the Big Horn Mountains!!

Penguin
05-25-2016, 10:59 AM
When I rode Yellowstone and the Tetons I entered Yellowstone from the east and rode both loops of the park. I then exited the park from the south and continued to the Tetons. What a great trip. You will enjoy it.

53driver
05-25-2016, 04:46 PM
The "Highway to the Sun" in Glacier Nat'l Park won't be open until late June.....HIGHLY recommend it if you can get there.

Brasco
05-26-2016, 12:34 AM
The "Highway to the Sun" in Glacier Nat'l Park won't be open until late June.....HIGHLY recommend it if you can get there.

I'll back 53rider up on that. Just an amazing road to take. It's a bit tucked away but worth the trip if you have the time (but do take care to ensure it's open before deciding to venture up there). If you're wondering why it doesn't open until mid-June take a look at the pics on this attachment. A massive job each spring to get this road ready for summer travellers. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/glaciernps/sets/72157664781759964/

Necanefan
05-26-2016, 02:58 AM
I'll back 53rider up on that. Just an amazing road to take. It's a bit tucked away but worth the trip if you have the time (but do take care to ensure it's open before deciding to venture up there). If you're wondering why it doesn't open until mid-June take a look at the pics on this attachment. A massive job each spring to get this road ready for summer travellers. https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/glaciernps/sets/72157664781759964/

Wow! Those are some amazing pictures. If the road is open to motorcycles around June 20th, I'll have to make it part of my trip. By the looks of the pictures,

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Opens mid June, or often mid July.
Check with the Park before hand.

Necanefan
05-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Opens mid June, or often mid July.
Check with the Park before hand.

Looks like they are ahead of schedule and plan to open this Friday. Of course, that can change, but it looks good for my trip in a few weeks! Here's a link to the news announcement:
http://www.kulr8.com/story/32067534/beartooth-pass-scheduled-to-open-this-week

53driver
05-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Looks like they are ahead of schedule and plan to open this Friday. Of course, that can change, but it looks good for my trip in a few weeks! Here's a link to the news announcement:
http://www.kulr8.com/story/32067534/beartooth-pass-scheduled-to-open-this-week

That's Beartooth Pass, not the Going to the Sun!

Here's a link for the road I rode:
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Road to the sun and Bear tooth are very different passes.
Although Bear tooth will have snow drifts remaining in July.
Either way, prepare to be baptised at least once a day.

Jim

choptop
05-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Last year was my first time ever to Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, both coming and going was awesome as was Yellowstone and the whole trip. I want to go back and ride the Going to the Sun road.

Necanefan
05-27-2016, 05:59 PM
That's Beartooth Pass, not the Going to the Sun!

Here's a link for the road I rode:
https://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

Haha, yes they are very different passes. That's what I get for sneaking in a post while I should have been working: embarrassment. Either way, both roads are now on my bucket list.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Last year was my first time ever to Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, both coming and going was awesome as was Yellowstone and the whole trip. I want to go back and ride the Going to the Sun road.

I'd wait until late July or early August if you can plan it.
Good snow pack year last year could mean a late opening.
Better riding weather, less bugs, less roadwork...:icon_frown:

royr
05-28-2016, 02:55 PM
Grand Teton, take the inner park road. Motels in West Yellowstone +$100 a night.

Necanefan
05-29-2016, 10:15 AM
I'm looking to book my rooms for the first part of the trip. I'm looking at arriving Saturday night June 18th. My thought is to stay Saturday night in Dubois, WY, then explore Grand Teton NP on Sunday, travelling through Yellowsone and ending up in Cody. Cody seems like a good place to stay for the next two nights to continue to explore Yellowstone, Chief Joseph Hwy and Beartooth Pass. That brings me to needing to figure it up the trip from Tuesday evening on. Based on current pictures and condition, I would not bet on Going To The Sun Road being open in Glacier NP. I could head up to Shelby, MT to the east of Glacier, or to Kalispell to the west of Glacier and hope for the best. My questions to those familiar with the areas:
Would you suggest staying on the east or west side of Glacier?
What rides (1-2 days) would you recommend near or in Glacier?
Is there a destination other than Glacier that you would recommend?

I'd like to get back to Omaha Friday or Saturday.

Dirtstiff's F6B
05-29-2016, 10:48 AM
Much prettier on the west side. You can go in and out of the park to the closed portion of the RTTS, then come back out and stay in Kalispell or Whitefish. The east side dumps you back into Helena. Some neat old silver mining towns and history around Helena that are worth seeing. Towns people in all the little burgs heading south, are great - Agusta, Chouteau. .

Check out the Ram's Horn Inn while in Dubois.
Cody is a neat base camp. Book your stay at Buffalo Bill's Hotel called The Erma. Neat old historic place with good food. You can ride north into Sunlight Basin or west, back toward Cody resevoir and Yellowstone or south east into Sheridan, Wyoming and cut east to Nebraska, while checking out all the little cow towns on the way.

That's part of my route planning for another trip in July.
Ride safe and look out for animals.

Edit: The Dirty side or the east side of Glacier going south, as described by locals, is also wide open, warmer to hot, compared to mtn travel.

J

royr
05-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Cody is not cheap. Check the room rates. You maybe able to stay closer for a little more $$. Last time I was in that area I stay in Columbus on I-90 north of Red Lodge.

Necanefan
05-29-2016, 03:30 PM
I booked the 19th and 20th in Cody, WY and the 21st and 22nd in Kalispell, MT. I had enough reward points stored up with Choice hotels to cover the 4 nights. I've still got to book the 19th in Dubois. The return trip home I'll just figure out where to stay depending on when I get tired.
It's a long way home from Kalispell, MT to Omaha, NE.

Necanefan
06-11-2016, 05:34 PM
As of today, Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park is not yet open for the season. If it is not open before I leave on my trip on Friday, I need to make a back up plan for a couple of days. I've heard good things about Lolo Pass. Has anyone ridden this? Would you suggest a different ride in the WY/ID/MT area?

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-11-2016, 07:36 PM
Beartooth Pass, Redlodge, Custer Battlefield, drop into Sheridan, Chadron and your almost home.
J

Monk
06-12-2016, 12:10 AM
As of today, Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park is not yet open for the season. If it is not open before I leave on my trip on Friday, I need to make a back up plan for a couple of days. I've heard good things about Lolo Pass. Has anyone ridden this? Would you suggest a different ride in the WY/ID/MT area?

I would very much recommend Lolo Pass!!! I've had the opportunity to ride it both ways.

If you run all the way into Lewiston, check out the Old Spiral Highway!
https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=old+spiral+highway+lewiston+id

Dirtstiff's F6B
06-12-2016, 12:44 AM
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/185/Idaho/The-Lolo-Pass.html#sthash.vHcW3kkJ.dpbs

Lolo is a beautiful ride. Saw wolves last time.

Brasco
06-12-2016, 01:08 PM
I've ridden Lolo a few times. Definitely worth the ride if you're in the area but not jaw-dropping scenic like Beartooth or Going to the Sun as it doesn't come close to the same elevation as those mountain passes (I believe Lolo is in the 5,000+ft. range.). I'd say it's not a "destination" road like Beartooth or Going to the Sun but definitely worth seeking out if you're nearby. On the Lolo you're in the forest but riding alongside a beautiful meandering river for a large part of the ride. A constant parade of good sweepers. Not any services on this road at all but there is a U.S. Forest Service visitor centre near the summit. The pic (sign says it all) from a couple years ago was taken at the start of highway on Idaho side of the pass. Lots of forest fire smoke in the air at the time. One word of caution. One of our fellow members on this board went down on Lolo Pass due to sand/loose gravel in a corner. Wrote off his F6B. I've also hit loose gravel from top coating in corners on mountain roads in Idaho and had the rear end of my bike (VTX at the time) kick out unexpectedly. Others may know better than me but locals told our riding group that Idaho state budget cutbacks have decreased the amount of road maintenance that's taking place. Probably true of a lot of other places too.

Necanefan
06-18-2016, 07:37 PM

I left Omaha Friday afternoon and made it to Laramie, WY Friday night. The bike showed 104 degrees riding across Nebraska. Not sure how close that is to reality, but it was HOT. Saturday morning I headed into the Snowy Range of Medicine Bow National Forest. Wow. Amazing ride! I put another relaxing 500 miles on today and have stopped in Dubois, WY for the night and to watch the CWS on TV. On to Grand Teton and Yellowstone tomorrow.

Necanefan
06-19-2016, 07:50 PM

I got up early and left the hotel at 4:30 to catch the sunrise in Grand Teton National Park. I had the park nearly to myself until about 7:00am. Great ride through Teton and Yellowstone. The day ended by riding the Beartooth Pass and then down to Cody for the night. The Beartooth was awesome! By far the best stretch of road and views of the day.
I'll post some more pics later.

jm21ddd15
06-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Them mountains sure are spectacular! Rode that route by Teton a couple years ago. If I was 30 years younger, I would like to hike up them. Now, just looking at them is great! Thanks for the pics!

Necanefan
06-19-2016, 09:33 PM