PDA

View Full Version : Dress shoes or boots

stroguy
05-30-2016, 10:33 AM
What do you daily riders wear in your professional/causal wear? I need footwear that isn't a motorcycle/hiker appearance when you first see it. Thanks.

pilotguy299
05-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Wear boots & keep loafers in your saddlebag. Switch when you get wherever, or don't.

stroguy
05-30-2016, 11:00 AM
The boots I wear now go on once a day. They are super comfortable but not forgiving to lace up. Plus I am pretty lazy.

shooter
05-30-2016, 01:17 PM
Alpine and others have some zip up the side.

willtill
05-30-2016, 02:08 PM
Leave a pair of dress shoes at work, under your desk. That is what I used to do when I had to go into the office.

Now since I work from home I just go barefoot. :icon_wink:

Travelor
05-30-2016, 02:14 PM
What do you daily riders wear in your professional/causal wear? I need footwear that isn't a motorcycle/hiker appearance when you first see it. Thanks.

Kohl's carries a semi-dress boot by Marc Anthony that has a zipper on the side. Brown or black, really comfortable for the bike and the sole has some of the best grip on the pavement I've ever had, even with expensive dedicated riding boots.

http://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/2079496_Amber_Brown?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

pilotguy299
05-30-2016, 02:29 PM
Kohl's carries a semi-dress boot by Marc Anthony that has a zipper on the side. Brown or black, really comfortable for the bike and the sole has some of the best grip on the pavement I've ever had, even with expensive dedicated riding boots.

http://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/2079496_Amber_Brown?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1

Those look good! might have to get a pair myself :)

GaTeach
05-30-2016, 04:28 PM
Cowboy boots!

willtill
05-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Cowboy boots!

You wear cowboy boots in the classroom? Or cowgirl boots?

:icon_wink:

stevenolts
05-30-2016, 05:33 PM
I wear these Bates GX-8 I got them for around $100.00 on sale. Goretex Waterproof, Thinsulate warmth, and comfortable.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-insulated-side-zip-with-gore-tex%C2%AE/20133M.html

Steve

3Chief
05-30-2016, 06:20 PM
I wear these Bates GX-8 I got them for around $100.00 on sale. Goretex Waterproof, Thinsulate warmth, and comfortable.

http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/gx-8-insulated-side-zip-with-gore-tex%C2%AE/20133M.html

Steve

+1 I wear something similar by Bates on my way in and put on my safety toe boots at work.

seadog
05-30-2016, 06:46 PM
Cowboy boots!

Cowgirl boot!

stroguy
05-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Cowboy boots!

Tried that once. Not safe with the mini floorboards I use, the heel kept catching the board and it wasn't fun. I would love to wear my AB's everyday. Thanks though.

stroguy
05-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Hey, those are nice. We have a Kohls up the road, thanks I'll take a gander but the heel may catch like my AB's. Heel is not as large so they might work.

ths61
05-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Tried that once. Not safe with the mini floorboards I use, the heel kept catching the board and it wasn't fun. I would love to wear my AB's everyday. Thanks though.

Cowboy boots with roper's heel, very stable. No problem with the drop mini-boards.

GONRDN
05-30-2016, 08:19 PM

$40.00 Kmart. Love them.

stroguy
05-30-2016, 08:35 PM
Not quite what I'm looking for when a tie is required at work. Have had those boots and they do make comfortable boots for the bike.

Az Wingrider
05-30-2016, 08:52 PM
I wear Bates Durashocks. They have a rubber sole that is not to aggressive and they look like oxfords if your pants are long enough. They are a duty boot but the bottom portion is all leather that takes a good shine. there is no Gortex that shows and they have a side zipper for easy on and off. They also come in a wide width which I need. About $100.00 from Working Person's Store online.l

stroguy
05-30-2016, 09:06 PM
Love this board, thanks all. I do a lot of shopping at WPS, I'll check it out.

shooter
05-30-2016, 09:58 PM
Stro , The Frye Company. James style boot. Kinda pricey but looks great. It is an MC boot.

Penguin
05-31-2016, 12:12 AM
Try these

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-ridge-2-air-boots?gclid=CjwKEAjwya-6BRDR3p6FuY2-u3MSJAD1paxTO_rV4u4PkSUDV9440tRfBQ5YSymVF2Zhao7Rsi IN6BoCuoLw_wcB

They also come in a waterproof version

ShanghaiDan
05-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Like others, I leave some "work shoes" at the office. I wear Dainese Fulcrums when riding (which are nice looking boots), but then slip into some Merrells when I get to the office. More comfortable, and no need to wear out the $300 boots any earlier than I need to!

Brewdog
06-01-2016, 07:00 AM
I like Rocky cowboy boots for riding. I wear them to the office too. The days of me giving a shiit what others think are long gone. :icon_biggrin:

SimonTemplar
06-02-2016, 01:44 AM
I've been wearing these for quite awhile now. Terribly comfortable and not at all bad looking off the bike.

Sidi Blades (clicky) (http://www.revzilla.com/product/sidi-blade-riding-shoes)

....sT

Kolsch
06-02-2016, 07:54 PM
I found the most comfortable steel toe boots ever! "Redbacks" Australian made. Tug boat workers wear them. $150 well worth the money and great protection. Slip ons.

adventurous1
06-09-2016, 01:58 AM
KEEN Sandals.

PCH or Million Dollar Hwy.....that's generally all i wear. Though over about 8k elevation i'll throw on thermal socks.

53driver
06-09-2016, 08:04 AM
KEEN Sandals.

PCH or Million Dollar Hwy.....that's generally all i wear. Though over about 8k elevation i'll throw on thermal socks.

Well, to each his own.
I've seen way too much go wrong to even think about wearing sandals while riding.
Occupational hazard, I suppose.

Best of luck on your trip.
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
06-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Well, to each his own.
I've seen way too much go wrong to even think about wearing sandals while riding.
Occupational hazard, I suppose.

Best of luck on your trip.
Cheers,
Steve

Just posting the links (will not post the pictures). If these don't make one think and reconsider... nothing will. :shhh:

Warning! Graphic images below!

http://baggers.bikernet.com/docs/stories/12853/skinned%20foot.jpg

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=af1_1350245320

53driver
06-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Just posting the link (will not post the picture). If these don't make one think and reconsider... nothing will. :shhh:

Warning! Graphic image below!

It's called "de-gloving" when the skin is peeled away in one contiguous piece like a glove would be upon removal......

willtill
06-09-2016, 09:32 AM
It's called "de-gloving" when the skin is peeled away in one contiguous piece like a glove would be upon removal......

I would think that would hurt a little, don't you think....? :shock:

stroguy
06-09-2016, 09:39 AM
We had pics in the Air Force safety meetings of someone that wore their wedding ring while playing basketball. Lay up ended up with the ring catching the net hook and tadat, degloving of the ring finger skin.

wjduke
06-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Just posting the links (will not post the pictures). If these don't make one think and reconsider... nothing will. :shhh:

Warning! Graphic images below!

You'll never convince hundred's of thousands of bikers who ride without protection. It has to happen to them first. I see too much of it to think otherwise.

53driver
06-09-2016, 11:38 AM
You'll never convince hundred's of thousands of bikers who ride without protection. It has to happen to them first. I see too much of it to think otherwise.

And? I don't intend to convince anyone of anything. I wore a uniform for over 28 years so people could make life choices.
I'm cool with that.

All I ask is that people who make choices don't tap - unplanned or planned - the "common checkbook" to aid in their results/recovery of their choices.
I.E. make sure you are $$$ covered so my tax money doesn't have to pay for your choices.

Cheers,
Steve

airfreek
06-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Wear boots & keep loafers in your saddlebag. Switch when you get wherever, or don't.

Great response....never skimp on safety in case you go down

3Chief
06-09-2016, 07:50 PM
We had pics in the Air Force safety meetings of someone that wore their wedding ring while playing basketball. Lay up ended up with the ring catching the net hook and tadat, degloving of the ring finger skin.

Ditto, worked with a guy who started to fall coming down a ladder shipboard and his wedding band caught on the scuttle a degloved the ring finger.

wjduke
06-10-2016, 04:50 AM
And? I don't intend to convince anyone of anything. I wore a uniform for over 28 years so people could make life choices.
I'm cool with that.

All I ask is that people who make choices don't tap - unplanned or planned - the "common checkbook" to aid in their results/recovery of their choices.
I.E. make sure you are $$$ covered so my tax money doesn't have to pay for your choices.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, with all due respect to your position here and the knowledge you have, this response to my post kind of ticked me off. I don't try to convince anyone of anything. I offer my opinions. You seemed to pick on that one word. I'm a veteran too, and I believe in the freedom we have. I didn't post the graphic photo's. Maybe what I should have said is, you can't fix stupid when it comes to wearing gear while riding. But, to each his own. Plus, the common checkbook is already tapped by life choices...this subject, smoking, drugs, etc. What I have to pay for medical in weekly deductions and co-pays proves that. I got hit by a car, I had full gear on, and trust me, the checkbook payment would have been much worse if I didn't.

As Ron White once said..." I had the right to remain silent, I didn't have the ability".

53driver
06-10-2016, 11:20 AM
I'm cool with that.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve, with all due respect to your position here and the knowledge you have, this response to my post kind of ticked me off. I don't try to convince anyone of anything. I offer my opinions. You seemed to pick on that one word. I'm a veteran too, and I believe in the freedom we have. I didn't post the graphic photo's. Maybe what I should have said is, you can't fix stupid when it comes to wearing gear while riding. But, to each his own. Plus, the common checkbook is already tapped by life choices...this subject, smoking, drugs, etc. What I have to pay for medical in weekly deductions and co-pays proves that. I got hit by a car, I had full gear on, and trust me, the checkbook payment would have been much worse if I didn't.

As Ron White once said..." I had the right to remain silent, I didn't have the ability".

wjduke,
First, I am open to any and all thoughts & opinions on this forum - no one should feel the need to remain silent.
I apologize if I "ticked you off." Not my intent as I truly believe we are on the same page.

I realize you don't try to convince anyone of anything - and I was agreeing with you in that I don't try and do that either - because you are right: willful ignorance cannot be fixed.
We both wore the uniform and defended people's liberty to make willfully ignorant choices. "To each his own" as you stated.
I just don't like it when those people also operate illegally by not having proper insurance and then the public funds need to be used to reconcile their errors.

I sent a PM further explaining my position on this - please let me know where we differ.
I'll buy the first several rounds in Arkansas if I fail to explain myself properly. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve

wjduke
06-10-2016, 12:04 PM
wjduke,
First, I am open to any and all thoughts & opinions on this forum - no one should feel the need to remain silent.
I apologize if I "ticked you off." Not my intent as I truly believe we are on the same page.

I realize you don't try to convince anyone of anything - and I was agreeing with you in that I don't try and do that either - because you are right: willful ignorance cannot be fixed.
We both wore the uniform and defended people's liberty to make willfully ignorant choices. "To each his own" as you stated.
I just don't like it when those people also operate illegally by not having proper insurance and then the public funds need to be used to reconcile their errors.

I sent a PM further explaining my position on this - please let me know where we differ.
I'll buy the first several rounds in Arkansas if I fail to explain myself properly. :cheers:

Cheers,
Steve
We're good!

badpapi
06-10-2016, 12:24 PM
i know all riders have a different opinion on this .
but honestly shoes, jacket , helmet , gloves and safety gear should be let those who ride decide ,
i don't think people are ignorant for not wearing a helmet or the kind of shoes they wear .
i also don't condone guys on the freeway doing wellies as long as they not playing with my safety, we are good .
i ride with whatever shoes i have on at the moment .
if i going for a day of riding i try to dress for the occasion . but going back and forward to work ,the gym , and every other occasion i ride with whatever shoes i wearing for the day and every time i visit NH,RI or any other state the is not helmet law . i take mine off . just love the feeling of the air and sun on my bald head .
Ride Safe Everyone !

willtill
06-10-2016, 02:29 PM
We're good!

I would've held out for at least for those free drinks :icon_mrgreen:

JGF6B
06-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Stroguy, if you find something, please post it. I'm in the same boat but I can't say I'm fond of any of the suggestions thus far.

stroguy
06-10-2016, 03:52 PM
I shall. I do like the Frye boots shooter suggested, look good. I also found a style in Stacy Adams Madison II. Give it a Google. Has a lot of eyelets to lace up, bit is more the way I wanted to head. Thanks everyone for the inputs.

JGF6B
06-10-2016, 04:47 PM
The Frye boots are pricey, but they might fit the bill.
Stumbled across this: http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/06/19/staff-favorites-frye-8r-engineer-boots
I'm still young enough to enjoy boots that last 20+ years.