PDA

View Full Version : BMW's answer to the F6B

TheShow
09-02-2013, 10:36 AM
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/07/2014-bmw-k1600gt-sport-announced/

I hope they keep the ABS, cruise, and electronic windshield. That will basically force Honda to add more specs to their 2014 F6B just to keep up. Gotta love competition!

GiddyupF6B
09-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Looks more like they are targeting the Concorse and Fjr to me.

Trike lady
09-02-2013, 12:43 PM
I don't see it as competition for the F6B. The GL1800 and the F6B are in a class by themselves. Most writers from motorcycle publications seem to write favorable articles about anything that resembles a sport bike. That's why I gave up reading Cycle World one sided reporting from writers that ride sport bikes.
To me this BMW is nothing more than a Sport Bike with bags and while many will poop their Depends over an in-line 6, the in-line 6 was out years earlier. I believe Honda had an in-line 6 as well as the other Japanese manufacturers. The engine design is not new and earth shattering.
It is the buying public that makes the call and the F6B was chosen by the people who really ride and this is the proof "Voted as the 2013 People’s Choice Motorcycle of the Year".
This bike is not in the same class as the F6B and the writers need not put it there.
I cannot see how the writer can call it a "luxury tourer" to me only a handful of bikes come to mind; Goldwing, Yamaha Royal Star Venture, HD Dressers and the Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.
Hmmm, I guess that 1983 Honda SilverWing GL650I that I have my eyes on could be a luxury tourer.
:lolup:
That's why I gave up reading the magazines and the writers on the Internet.
Who wants the 'Soap Box' next I've said my piece.

Sorry for the dark picture, camera flash not very effective.

chipmaker
09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
We discussed that bike awhile back. If it wasn't for the tallness and need for too much BMW maintenance, I would be all over that. Especially love the removable bags. I ride my F6B like a overweight sportbike, and that BMW is even sportier. But after 3 BMWs, I know they require too much time in the shop, and would have me on my tippytoes at stoplights. I think riders not coming for the GW world would find that bike exact competition for the F6B, I know I do. And I don't think Honda is gonna change anything on the F6B for next year except maybe colors... my 2 cents.

Writers are idiots anyway, remember they matched up the F6B with the HD bagger?

unsub
09-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd only add that:

1. BMW's inline 6 engine is somewhat of a maintenance gamble as compared to the GL1800. The GL platform has been around for a long, long time and is at it's peak of reliability, whereas the BMW inline 1600 is yet to be proven.

2. BMW's dealer network vs Honda's dealer network again make the Honda a good choice if you're into touring.

3. BMW's electrical deficiencies aka gremlins are still very prevalent across all models of motorcycles.

Personally I don't think there is any comparison possible between the Honda and BMW cruiser for the role they are intended to play.

Cool Hand Luke
09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
I had a 2000 BMW K1200LT, black of course, for several years. Sold it a while ago with over 80,000 miles on it. I really loved that bike. It was fast, smooth, I would leave my Goldwing buddies in the curves. It had a much better stereo at the time than GW, better cruise control (I really liked that it was on the left handlebar, that way you can really relax your right hand and adjust speed with left), much better suspension ( and in my opinion still better than F6B). It was very comfortable, I did many 500+ mile days with stock seat and only added driver backrest. I used j-pegs and LT's fairing didn't open my legs as wide as GW does.

Service wise it was dead reliable, never a hitch, never left me on the side of the road. My nearest BMW dealer is 120 miles away, but I only went there for when LT had to be hooked on a computer to check for whatever. Tire changes, brake pads, oil changes were done at my local shop just fine.

So, I had a great experience with my LT. It was also a looker - I sold it to a gentleman I met on ferry in Florida on my way from Daytona Bikeweek, he offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

Then I decided to replace it. I almost bought a newer LT, but as a rule I don't buy the same bike twice, I like to experience different rides. So I bought a 2007 Goldwing next. I thought it would be a great choice, BMW stopped making LT's and never replaced them. New GTL is not a replacement for LT, it is more of a sport tourer, not luxury tourer (LT). More sporty but less comfortable, no reverse and I don't like the look of trunk, seems like an after thought.

But I never really liked the GW. I missed the handling, less weight, better cruise, looks (to me) etc.
After test riding a new F6B I bought it on the spot. I feel like I found a great replacement for my LT, even the Rivco folding pegs remind me of j-pegs I had on LT! I do miss the power windshield, but until they come out with a tinted power one I'll stick with Baggershield, just love the blacked out look!

bobbyf6b
09-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Another reincarnation...

1283 1284 1285

srkeet
09-02-2013, 11:49 PM
We discussed that bike awhile back. If it wasn't for the tallness and need for too much BMW maintenance, I would be all over that. Especially love the removable bags. I ride my F6B like a overweight sportbike, and that BMW is even sportier. But after 3 BMWs, I know they require too much time in the shop, and would have me on my tippytoes at stoplights. I think riders not coming for the GW world would find that bike exact competition for the F6B, I know I do. And I don't think Honda is gonna change anything on the F6B for next year except maybe colors... my 2 cents.

Writers are idiots anyway, remember they matched up the F6B with the HD bagger?

Amen and plus 1 to Chipmaker on the BMW observations! Years ago i was on the BMW track. The bikes, when they're working, are fabulous! But when they're not functioning as designed, look out! The dealers are often far apart and parts from the homeland can take a LONG time to get here! Bmw always treated me well with the bikes under warranty, but...you gotta be careful. Again, when they are trouble free, they are awesome.

God bless y'all,

sr keet

1951vbs
09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I like the K1600GT but just can't justify giving BMW any more of my $$. One of the reasons I jumped at the F6B was the bullet proof reputation of the Goldwing over a decade, plus 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. After I put 100,000 miles on my Honda ST1300, I accepted the BMW mystic and reputation and bought a 2006 K1200S and then a 2007 K1200GT . The K12S needed a final drive replacement at 45,000 miles (out of warranty $3500) so I traded it in on the K12GT and had so many nagging problems I don't even want to get into it except to say that at 88,000 it jumped the cam chain, bent the valves and wrecked the head to the tune of $13,000 and 51 weeks down time due mostly to limited parts availability and specialized tools the dealer needed to get from Germany. Thank goodness I purchased the extended warranty. Yes I managed to get 88,000 miles out of it in less than a couple of years but it wasn't real enjoyable. BMW knew they had cam chain tensioner problems but never had a recall. IMO over engineered junk! I think they learned some lessons on the K16. The new GT appears to have some engine tip over protection but not the standard GT and GTL.

Philbert40
09-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I owned one before my F6B....They are completely NOT in the same category of motorcycles. You get a 100 % better feeling of trust with the F6B. When people would ask me what I thought about my K 1600 GTL....the answer was always the same: Croutch Rocket with Luggage! Very jittery!

We F6B riders have the best platform out there! Enjoy the ride!

4DI2D
09-04-2013, 06:13 PM
The CBX lives!!!