PDA

View Full Version : EZ-Pass transponder

wjduke
05-30-2016, 01:40 PM
Scenario...got a new EZ-Pass last week. Went to my first toll booth yesterday. It didn't work. The attendant came out, took it off me which was a pain in butt with gloves and all, went back inside the booth. I assume she scanned it, gate opened, handed it back to me, and said get moving. There was no time for a chat, so here I am.

Now the details....I have a Hi-Viz vest with a clear plastic pocket which I thought was perfect for it. It's supposed to be horizontal in the car, but in the pocket it has to be vertical. The flap on the pocket covers about 1/4 of the unit. Was it the plastic, the flap, being vertical, a first time thing, or just my bad luck? Any ideas out there? I don't know what to expect next time. I do have a zipper pocket on the other side that I can use I suppose. Just pull it out at the gate, but I'm not looking to do that.

I looked at holders online, and it seems that they secure in the vertical position. Any advice on that will work too.

Thanks,

Wayne

114th COBRA
05-30-2016, 02:01 PM
I put mine on the center of the windshield down close touching the dash. Works fine, doesn't obstruct view, and doesn't look bad.

willtill
05-30-2016, 02:01 PM
I have seen a post elsewhere that showed the transponder being positioned underneath the windshield garnish (out of sight). So does the transponder really need a clear line of sight in order to work?

SierraKen
05-30-2016, 02:25 PM
I keep mine in the center cubby hole but make sure it is on top of anything else. Works fine for me.

Steve 0080
05-30-2016, 02:57 PM
I call Sun Pass and tell them I have added another vehicle and THEY put the info in their system and I carry nothing !!!

zzh54
05-30-2016, 03:35 PM
On my tinted KW windshield I had it stuck to the lower left, I have friends that carry them in their tour trunks and not a problem. I tried in the center cubby but did not scan. Still working on the placement in a secure part of the bike.

willtill
05-30-2016, 03:50 PM
On my tinted KW windshield I had it stuck to the lower left, I have friends that carry them in their tour trunks and not a problem. I tried in the center cubby but did not scan. Still working on the placement in a secure part of the bike.

Try under your windshield garnish.

wjduke
05-30-2016, 03:58 PM
So you guys have it out of sight and it works? I have no clue then why mine failed, at least this time. I already put the Velcro type deal on my car windshield, although that may never see a toll booth. I may get another setup to secure it to the windshield down low. That wouldn't bother me, although it's a dust collector area with my Klockwerks. Damn, I'm really stumped as to why it failed. I don't want to bury it someplace until I at least know it's working right.

Thanks

2015F6B
05-30-2016, 05:05 PM
I call Sun Pass and tell them I have added another vehicle and THEY put the info in their system and I carry nothing !!!

I did the same thing. Added my tag number to their system, it takes a pictures of my plate when I go through the toll booth and it gets charged to my Sunpass account. Simple.

wjduke
05-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Guess Sunpass is more advanced than EZ-Pass. They have both of my vehicles registered with tag numbers. That doesn't seem to be the way it works up here.

cruzdog954
05-30-2016, 08:16 PM
I also went the registration route with Sunpass. However, I do carry it - just put it inside the front cubby hole and works fine - I went to their website to verify that the charges on the tolls occur.

stroguy
05-30-2016, 08:39 PM
I just 3M taped mine to a chip bag clip. Added some rubber to the grip part of the clip and mount it to the windscreen when I need it. In the cubby when I'm done.

Penguin
05-31-2016, 12:23 AM
Here in Illinois I just register my motorcycle's license plate to my I-Pass account and never take the transponder with me. The toll both just takes a picture of my plate as I ride by and it gets cross referenced to my account and deducted accordingly.

DMAGOLDRDR
05-31-2016, 06:03 AM
Up here in New England,,,Our tolls sometimes have Gates and as you found out Wayne, you will need access to the EZ Pass or they will make you pay. I have been through it.
Back when I had my Valk I had it mounted inside the fairing. All was great for years until the battery in the transponder wore out and it would not read. At Bear Mt New York Toll there is a gate and the attendant would not let me go because the EZ Pass didn't read and I could not hand it to her. had to pay. IF it is just a fly by Toll then it can read off your plate and charge automatically.

Your issue was the transponder needs to point UP towards the reader over head.

114th COBRA
05-31-2016, 06:29 AM
I just 3M taped mine to a chip bag clip. Added some rubber to the grip part of the clip and mount it to the windscreen when I need it. In the cubby when I'm done.

STRO: I like that idea, and may give it a try. Definitely would add more security to the transponder. Thanks for sharing. :039:

wjduke
05-31-2016, 06:40 AM
Up here in New England,,,Our tolls sometimes have Gates and as you found out Wayne, you will need access to the EZ Pass or they will make you pay. I have been through it.
Back when I had my Valk I had it mounted inside the fairing. All was great for years until the battery in the transponder wore out and it would not read. At Bear Mt New York Toll there is a gate and the attendant would not let me go because the EZ Pass didn't read and I could not hand it to her. had to pay. IF it is just a fly by Toll then it can read off your plate and charge automatically.

Your issue was the transponder needs to point UP towards the reader over head.
Thanks Dan.

STRO: I like that idea, and may give it a try. Definitely would add more security to the transponder. Thanks for sharing. :039:

After what Dan said, I'm going to do something similar. I went online and ordered another set of strips, so I might have it attach to my shield as I approach, then pull it off and store it. Now that I know all this.....thanks to everyone.

stroguy
05-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Thanks, With the rubber grip on the clip I have had the bike up to triple digits and it doesn't even shake.

Vondawg
05-31-2016, 08:22 PM
On top of whatever's in center cubby works thru the plastic never have to touch it. NY EZ pass.

ReserveBum
06-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Wayne
ez pass holder at wal mart - @ $4.00. Mount to underside of Madstad base. Works great and when I want to remove it, it just comes easily out of that holder. In new england, they are working on the plate recognition but not ready yet (you can see the sensors going up on the Mass Pike and I-90)...still have to use the ez pass until thats ready

willtill
06-01-2016, 07:31 AM
I have seen a post elsewhere that showed the transponder being positioned underneath the windshield garnish (out of sight). So does the transponder really need a clear line of sight in order to work?

Found it! Here is where one Winger mounted his:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2dqoi94.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/33ol6k2.jpg

It's out of sight, protected and secure :yes:

wjduke
06-01-2016, 07:42 AM
I wonder still why it wasn't picked up when it was right in a left side vest pocket. Dan said it needs to point upwards. One of those hmmmmm moments.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-01-2016, 08:12 AM

See my previous post re: mounting under Fairing. It will work but.... if it is an older unit you will want it accessible.

I rode to Washington DC over the weekend and although "most" tolls are fly by, there are still a good amount with a gate. You will not be permitted to pass if you are in an EZ-PASS ONLY lane and it does not read. One of the guys I was traveling with had to wait for the TOLL personnel to come out and assist. That is just such a high stress time when you have a line of cars behind you and your stuck at a gate. And his was mounted correctly, there was just a glitch in the system and they needed to scan his transponder.

EZ-PASS is a great system but it does still have a few (very few) issues. 99% of the time all is well.

Felloverboard
06-01-2016, 08:13 AM
I have a Sunpass transponder that I never carry on the bike or car. It works on the Florida state tolls and the E-Pass roads around Orlando area both. I have 2 motorcycles and 2 cars registered on the one transponder. I take vehicles on or off as I wish online with my account anytime, tho it may take overnight for it to register. If a guest comes into town I just apply their vehicle to it also while they visit and remove it from my online account when they leave. It takes a camera shot of the lic plate and applies it to my account. I am not even sure where the actual transponder is anymore.
I saw one guy who had a spring hinge on his Lic plate and when he went thru the toll cameras he pulled the little wire he had attached to flatten the plate upward so it would not show on the camera.

vmaxed
06-01-2016, 08:15 AM
My (Motorcycle E-Z Pass) has arrows on it pointing up.

Ed..."coffee"

wjduke
06-01-2016, 08:46 AM
My (Motorcycle E-Z Pass) has arrows on it pointing up.

Ed..."coffee"

Mine does too Ed. That's when I mentioned that it was in my pocket vertically. I think the safest bet for me is to attach it to the windshield and see what happens.

Bill1584
06-01-2016, 04:20 PM

... pics of pretty black wing ...

Me, too. Tis a motorcycle EZ Tag from HCTRA here in the Houston area. Not visible, and readable by parking garages and the tollway booths and drive-thrus.

Bill

jm21ddd15
06-01-2016, 07:26 PM
I have an I-pass/ EZ pass. Have it attached to the back of my left glove, with Velcro. Rarely use the interstate, so, I just remove when not needed, or apply as needed. Never had an issue with the tolls, and is readily accessable if needed.

53driver
06-01-2016, 08:18 PM
I have an I-pass/ EZ pass. Have it attached to the back of my left glove, with Velcro. Rarely use the interstate, so, I just remove when not needed, or apply as needed. Never had an issue with the tolls, and is readily accessible if needed.

That, sir, is brilliant!

wjduke
06-05-2016, 05:42 AM
Well, the Velcro type securing strips came in the mail. I'm going to go with securing the thing at the lower portion of my windshield. The only issue I see now is the dark tint....time will tell. The test will be the next trip to PA....if it ever doesn't rain on our scheduled Sunday.....BOB PENN !!!!!!! :stirthepot:

DMAGOLDRDR
06-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Well, the Velcro type securing strips came in the mail. I'm going to go with securing the thing at the lower portion of my windshield. The only issue I see now is the dark tint....time will tell. The test will be the next trip to PA....if it ever doesn't rain on our scheduled Sunday.....BOB PENN !!!!!!! :stirthepot:

Wayne, the "Velcro" is actually 3M Dual-lock and you can pick it up at Radio Shack, any hardware store or I even get it at my local Stop & Shop.
As for the tint, I had it mounted inside the Fairing on my Valkyrie Interstate and it worked everywhere. Until as I said earlier, as the transponder aged and the internal battery wore down.

stroguy
06-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Me, too. Tis a motorcycle EZ Tag from HCTRA here in the Houston area. Not visible, and readable by parking garages and the tollway booths and drive-thrus.

Bill

Bill, did you get the giant plastic rectangle from HCTRA? I was and there was no way I was going to mount it and it wouldn't fit under the front cowl. I need just the large postage stamp kind of reflector.

wjduke
06-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Wayne, the "Velcro" is actually 3M Dual-lock and you can pick it up at Radio Shack, any hardware store or I even get it at my local Stop & Shop.
As for the tint, I had it mounted inside the Fairing on my Valkyrie Interstate and it worked everywhere. Until as I said earlier, as the transponder aged and the internal battery wore down.

I knew it wasn't really Velcro, but didn't know what it was called! Good to know Dan, thanks. They did supply the strips free. Ya, I hope this works. It would be convenient in that location.