PDA

View Full Version : I've been doing this wrong

seadog
05-30-2016, 01:54 PM
I have been using a bugger and water to get the majority of bugs off the bike and then using my cleaner wax and polish to finish it up, well that works but not as good as just a plain old micro fiber towel soaked in water and wrung out. I could not believe how much faster I could clean the bike. I follow it up with a dry micro fiber towel and it come out beautiful and I don't have to burn up my cleaner wax & Polish which cost money. I was impressed at how nice the matte silver bike came out. I never thought of using a wet micro fiber towel, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one, I just bought them from the local auto parts store and they are nothing special.

shooter
05-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Its hard to make a dull bike duller.:joke:

willtill
05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
Its hard to make a dull bike duller.:joke:

This may be true.... But Oh What A JOY to NOT have to clean chrome anymore. :nojoke:

:icon_wink:

seadog
05-30-2016, 06:54 PM
This may be true.... But Oh What A JOY to NOT have to clean chrome anymore. :nojoke:

:icon_wink:

I like the look of the mass amount of chrome on my last bike but hated to have to clean it. This F6B cleans up in 1/4 of the time it used to take me on the old bike and now with finding that these micro fiber towel take bugs off at a fast rate I even shortened that time up.:clap2::clap2::clap2: and the good part, the chrome that I added to the deluxe is hidden from the bugs, little bastards can't find it:crackup::crackup:

JackB
05-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I will take any wet towel and lay it on the windshield and fairing for 10 minutes and then wipe and dry.

seadog
05-30-2016, 07:20 PM
I will take any wet towel and lay it on the windshield and fairing for 10 minutes and then wipe and dry.

You don't need to wait, just wet a micro fiber towel and wring it out and wipe the bugs off the windshield and body parts. It is just quick and easy as they pretty much just wipe off. I follow behind it with a dry micro fiber towel and it dries nice and clean. I had forgotten my bike spirit clean wax and polish one day and a big nasty bug hit my clear section of my bagger shield. I was out in the middle of no where but I had water bottles with me and a micro fiber towel so I wetted the towel as a last resort but little did I know about how easy it was to clean with a wet micro fiber towel. I had driven about 20 miles with that bug splattered all over the clear windscreen. So I figure it would be hell to pay to get it off but the wet micro fiber towel just removed it in seconds. I was amazed at how easy it was.

Maddoggie501
05-30-2016, 08:56 PM
You don't need to wait, just wet a micro fiber towel and wring it out and wipe the bugs off the windshield and body parts. It is just quick and easy as they pretty much just wipe off. I follow behind it with a dry micro fiber towel and it dries nice and clean. I had forgotten my bike spirit clean wax and polish one day and a big nasty bug hit my clear section of my bagger shield. I was out in the middle of no where but I had water bottles with me and a micro fiber towel so I wetted the towel as a last resort but little did I know about how easy it was to clean with a wet micro fiber towel. I had driven about 20 miles with that bug splattered all over the clear windscreen. So I figure it would be hell to pay to get it off but the wet micro fiber towel just removed it in seconds. I was amazed at how easy it was.

I use the same process and am amazed how good it works. I don't even wipe it dry. It works great.

MisterB
05-30-2016, 09:18 PM
You will eventually see scratching from dragging the exoskeletons around between the MF and shield. They'll be the kind of scratches that show up mainly when sun is shining through.
JackB has the right idea, let the warm water soften the bond that the dead bugs have with the plastic and get them off with as little scraping as possible.
This is applicable for cleaning safety and prescription glasses as well. Avoid "wiping" these kinds of surfaces clean, let soap and water clean them and pat dry.
Ultimately you would never touch the windshield.

Oooor wipe it and do whatever you want and then you'll have a good excuse to get a new shield!
Wife and I like to get new windshields in the cages every 100k, we just drive to work and back on the highway but there's usually a ton of scratches by then that make it impossible le to see through at sunset, I'll be amazed if this plastic holds up for half that.

seadog
05-30-2016, 10:01 PM
You will eventually see scratching from dragging the exoskeletons around between the MF and shield. They'll be the kind of scratches that show up mainly when sun is shining through.
JackB has the right idea, let the warm water soften the bond that the dead bugs have with the plastic and get them off with as little scraping as possible.
This is applicable for cleaning safety and prescription glasses as well. Avoid "wiping" these kinds of surfaces clean, let soap and water clean them and pat dry.
Ultimately you would never touch the windshield.

Oooor wipe it and do whatever you want and then you'll have a good excuse to get a new shield!
Wife and I like to get new windshields in the cages every 100k, we just drive to work and back on the highway but there's usually a ton of scratches by then that make it impossible le to see through at sunset, I'll be amazed if this plastic holds up for half that.

It hard to make a dull bike duller! That matte silver comes out the same every time. It would be different if I had a glossy paint job but this matte silver takes anything you throw at it.

MisterB
05-31-2016, 12:31 AM
It hard to make a dull bike duller! That matte silver comes out the same every time. It would be different if I had a glossy paint job but this matte silver takes anything you throw at it.
Sorry dawg, I was only talking about the windshield. Matte silver sounds like the way to go with this soft paint. Also sounds like a great detective name: Matte Silver, DC Homicide Division...

When I brought it home my first act of ownership was removing some sticker below the gas filler, this left visible scratches from where my fingernail dragged over the paint.
I had to simply stop caring what the paint looked like on my Red '13. I'll wash the dirt off every now and then but I never look too closely. She's so much fun to ride it's hard to fault her for some scratches...

wjduke
05-31-2016, 04:28 AM
Sorry dawg, I was only talking about the windshield. Matte silver sounds like the way to go with this soft paint. Also sounds like a great detective name: Matte Silver, DC Homicide Division...

When I brought it home my first act of ownership was removing some sticker below the gas filler, this left visible scratches from where my fingernail dragged over the paint.
I had to simply stop caring what the paint looked like on my Red '13. I'll wash the dirt off every now and then but I never look too closely. She's so much fun to ride it's hard to fault her for some scratches...

I did the same thing. Big Cat had the 40th anniversary emblem for sale. I put it under the key entry where the puck mark was. It fits perfectly with the natural curve and everyone thinks it belongs there. Everyone mentioned the puck mark, but I don't hear boo about the emblem.

seadog
05-31-2016, 05:34 AM

When that bagger shield get so scratched up that it looks like hell, I will order a new one. The only problem I have had so far with it is getting the rubber screw locks out of the bottom panel to invert the top piece. I have tried different lubricants but so far I have not found one that makes this task any easier. I am going to try graphite powder next and keep going until one works.

stevenolts
05-31-2016, 11:34 AM
I just use water and my bare hand to clean. I then dry with a towel before the bike dries. It comes very clean with little effort. I use the Liquid Glass now and again after it is cleaned.

On my Harley I did the same clean and then used Pledge to polish after it was clean. Turtle Paste wax once or twice a year.

I do have a question about removing scuffs etc...
Can I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound / how thick is the paint?
Steve

junkyarddog
05-31-2016, 04:14 PM
A spray bottle with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water just dissolves the bugs. Wipe it dry and you're done. Spray it on and wait about 1-2 minutes.

opas ride
05-31-2016, 04:22 PM
A spray bottle with 1/2 peroxide and 1/2 water just dissolves the bugs. Wipe it dry and you're done. Spray it on and wait about 1-2 minutes.

So does a spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water..Works great and leaves no scratches or streaks. Do use a micro fiber towel although instead of a plain cotton rag.....Ride safe

seadog
05-31-2016, 06:38 PM
So does a spray bottle with 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 water..Works great and leaves no scratches or streaks. Do use a micro fiber towel although instead of a plain cotton rag.....Ride safe

the only problem I see with it is I hate the smell of white vinegar, my wife uses it to clean the coffee maker and it stinks up the house. I suppose using it outside would be a different story.:icon_frown:

unsub
06-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Thanks for the tip seadog.:yes: