PDA

View Full Version : When the calculations are off

taxfree4
06-02-2016, 04:35 PM
My best buddy, who shall remain nameless to protect the stupid, just sent me pics of the pickup truck ascent he tried. Having a Harley Road Glide Ultra @ 940 lbs. he went to Harbor Freight and bought a loading ramp that had a 1000 lb. capacity. The one calculation he didn't figure on was his weight, 200 lbs., since he would be riding it up the ramp. He said 30 m.p.h. was the sweet spot to get it up on the ramp and into the truck. Funny thing as he was ascending, the ramp started to bend and he gunned it, feeling the sudden droop, and slammed into the back of the pickup, ripping off the kickstand, and hitting hard and falling over to the left and being pinned. Thank God for idiot strength as he righted the bike and strapped it down and went to the dealer to fix the derby cover oil spew, the original problem. Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.

stroguy
06-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Harbor Freight has a plus minus 1000 pound tolerance on their high end 1000 pound ramps. At 30mph the absorbed weight would have been a shy bit over 1000 pounds. The dogs are cool.

Davidk
06-02-2016, 05:10 PM
Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.

Fixed for you: Friends should let stupid friends ride.

pilotguy299
06-02-2016, 05:19 PM
glad to read that your friend is still a safe distance from genius...

lol

Penguin
06-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Sometimes you just have to stand there and shake your head.score10/10

taxfree4
06-02-2016, 06:47 PM
My father used to say "If you had a half a brain you'd walk with a limp". It took me forever to figure that out then you realize it's an insult, in a nice way, so I'll give that to my buddy as constructive criticism.

seadog
06-02-2016, 07:14 PM
It's harder when your stupid and forget your math, love the dogs, I had a 125 pound golden lab named Horse when I was younger and couldn't keep the dog out of the water, he would go out in the driveway after a rainstorm and plop right down in the puddle if that is all that was available at the time.

Travelor
06-02-2016, 08:21 PM
My best buddy, who shall remain nameless to protect the stupid, just sent me pics of the pickup truck ascent he tried. Having a Harley Road Glide Ultra @ 940 lbs. he went to Harbor Freight and bought a loading ramp that had a 1000 lb. capacity. The one calculation he didn't figure on was his weight, 200 lbs., since he would be riding it up the ramp. He said 30 m.p.h. was the sweet spot to get it up on the ramp and into the truck. Funny thing as he was ascending, the ramp started to bend and he gunned it, feeling the sudden droop, and slammed into the back of the pickup, ripping off the kickstand, and hitting hard and falling over to the left and being pinned. Thank God for idiot strength as he righted the bike and strapped it down and went to the dealer to fix the derby cover oil spew, the original problem. Friends shouldn't let friends ride stupid.

OMG!! Wonder how he calculated the 30 mph sweet spot. Does he know the distance to stop from 30 mph? A little more than the length of a pickup bed...... Maybe it was a blessing the ramp failed.

shooter
06-02-2016, 08:49 PM
:icon_doh:

YikesCops
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM
I did the bike in the back of the truck thing once. Scarred the hell out of me. After that I got an enclosed trailer.

shooter
06-02-2016, 09:54 PM
I gotta say , the guy had balls. It takes balls to attempt that skinny ramp going up that high with a bike that big. I used to do it with a 300 lb dirt bike all the time. Not with a big boy like that. Like was said above , he was lucky it didn't work. 30 mph and stopping in a slick truck bed don't add up. Something tells me he would have hit the hood on his way to the ground.

Steve 0080
06-02-2016, 10:08 PM
Here, hold my beer.....

taxfree4
06-03-2016, 02:14 AM
I gotta say , the guy had balls. It takes balls to attempt that skinny ramp going up that high with a bike that big. I used to do it with a 300 lb dirt bike all the time. Not with a big boy like that. Like was said above , he was lucky it didn't work. 30 mph and stopping in a slick truck bed don't add up. Something tells me he would have hit the hood on his way to the ground.

According to him what helped him slow down was as the ramp gave way the rear wheel slammed into the edge of the tailgate just making it over, which tells me it not only gave way but fell off. I didn't want ask too many humiliating questions, I'll give it a couple days. I told him next time he has an idea like this PLEASE notify me as I would gladly take the ride to PA. to film this for the enjoyment of generations to come.

When the guy at Pocono Mountain Harley saw the bike, the ramp and the pickup he said to my buddy "I'm trying to decide whether you're the dumbest or most bad ass mother f@#ker on the planet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_K2k9VaklI

RickJ
06-03-2016, 10:13 AM
My father used to say "If you had a half a brain you'd walk with a limp". It took me forever to figure that out then you realize it's an insult, in a nice way, so I'll give that to my buddy as constructive criticism.

My father used to say: "There are more horses asses than horses"

Hey...I won't jump on the "your friend is an idiot" bandwagon...but for the grace of God... in fact...I've been in the idiot neighborhood ...glasss houses and stones...

taxfree4
06-03-2016, 11:32 AM
My father used to say: "There are more horses asses than horses"

Hey...I won't jump on the "your friend is an idiot" bandwagon...but for the grace of God... in fact...I've been in the idiot neighborhood ...glasss houses and stones...

100%, I've done a lot of stupid things, not as dumb as this, however, it's nice to know that the "dumb ass" award has been handed to him till I out perform him.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-03-2016, 11:45 AM
Without an Arched ramp, most all Motorcycles will bottom out on the peak and the rear tire will "spit" the ramp out if it is not secured to the truck.
Being in the Outdoor Power Equipment business I see the same thing happen to Lawn Tractors all the time.

FLAT RAMPS are dangerous if not secured !!!!!

For your entertainment just put... "Motorcycle load fail" into youtube and sit back and laugh.

rock lobster
06-04-2016, 04:23 AM
And today's Darwin Award goes to.....

xltsport
06-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Once rode my fj1100 up a 2 by 12 wooden ramp into the back of my 4 wheel drive super duty ramp was so long that I had blocks supporting the middle so it didn't sag. Slowed down at the top so I would not crash into truck and tried to put my foot down. One problem I was still on the ramp. Foot just found air goosed the throttle spun the tire and made it. I'll never try that again. Scared the crap out of me.