PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an F6B with DCT

Greg O
06-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Would you purchase an F6B with a DCT automatic transmission?

53driver
06-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't buy ANY vehicle with an automatic transmission if I could help it.....

F6Dave
06-05-2016, 09:56 PM
I would. The VFR 1200 had a dual clutch transmission that looked nice. I think it had a semi auto mode. Some are speculating the next generation of the wing will have one.

shooter
06-05-2016, 10:56 PM
At this point I don't think they are as durable as our standard unit. From what I've seen there is a much bigger parasitic loss with a DCT than a standard trans. So my answer is no. With the broad torque band of the B I can safely say its the least shifted bike I've ever owned.

Patch
06-05-2016, 11:01 PM
If I hadn't already bought my F6B, and they had a DCT model available, I probably would if the pricing wasn't insane. I came from the NM4 which had the DCT...as long as it has the manual mode so I could paddle shift through the turns instead of having the bike shift mid-turn on me, it would be something nice to have for those twisty roads. The DCT would also be nice for the morning and afternoon commutes through the hellish traffic. Steep road stoplights, sitting in traffic, idling and not having to work a clutch lever for shifting up and down, just a few of the things I enjoyed about the DCT. Now...would I trade my current F6B in for a newer model with DCT...nope. I've gotten used to her with the manual. Jumping to another F6B just for a new option isn't worth it. Besides, I think an F6B with a DCT is most likely going to add significant cost to the bike.

Dave Ritsema
06-06-2016, 06:12 AM
No interest whatsoever. Been riding since 1974 with a clutch and any other way would just feel odd.

Retired Army
06-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Personally I am looking forward to a total electric Gold Wing. That would eliminate exhaust, transmission, and shift leaver plus engine coolant.

waynef6b
06-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Shifting gears on my Hayabusa seems normal..anything on a Wing,not so much.Bring on the DCT......Rode around on a 750 Hondamatic when I was 16..thought it was a Caddy,I'll take it back in a heart beat especially with paddle shifting.

Cobraguy
06-06-2016, 09:35 AM
I own and commute daily on a CTX700 with DCT it's a really nice ride. It's more refined from the first gen found in the DN01 so gone are the mid turn shifts.
Shooter there is no parasitic loss as it has two plate style wet clutches which allows the manual 6spd to be in two gears at the same time. which clutch is engaged determines which gear your in. It has three modes, full manual that allows you to manually paddle shift, Sport mode(most like normal riding), and Drive mode which is total economy(gets you to 6th gear at 37MPH). Honda would make a mint selling DCT equipped Wings to be triked for riders with limited physical abilities. I let a friend whole lost his left arm below the elbow try my CTX out. He is now back on two wheels, and rides with the hook.
So yes I would buy one.

2015F6B
06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Would you purchase an F6B with a DCT automatic transmission?

Not sure if I'd buy the DCT if it were offered but would certainly like to ride one to find out. I wouldn't dismiss it at this point.

six2go
06-06-2016, 11:30 AM
I would certainly like to ride one. I rode the N700 something or other with the DCT and thought that with a bit more power it would be fun. My VW GTI has their version(called a DSG)and I love it. There's no way a human can move a lever as fast as it shifts, plus you have the options of letting the computer do the work in normal mode and sport mode, or shifting yourself with the manual mode. This isn't a "slushbox" automatic, it's an electronically shifted "standard" gearbox so you don't have the power loss as in a true automatic. I wouldn't say never until ya tried it.

Brewdog
06-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I'd love to drive one! Clutching in heavy traffic sucks. The different modes sound awesome!

Greg O
06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
I also have mixed thoughts on DCT. I have been riding motorcycles for over 45 years and everyone I have ever owned had a manual clutch, except for my mini bike. Now that I am almost 56 I would entertain a Goldwing with DCT.

Slammd
06-06-2016, 07:44 PM
All I have to say is….no shifting = no fun!

pilotguy299
06-08-2016, 02:11 PM
I was actually thinking about this the other day. the one on the Burgman 650 is pretty decent, and you can always switch over to manual shift.

yes, I would.

six2go
06-08-2016, 03:33 PM
For more info on the newest version of Honda's DCT, check out the mini test of the new VFR1200X in the latest Motorcyclist magazine. They were quite impressed. I would probably be very interested in the 1200X if I could get my leg over the seat to mount up.

stevenolts
06-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I still drive a manual shift car / much more fun.
Steve

fast eddie
06-08-2016, 07:13 PM
An automatic transmission in a wing ? Yes,yes yes. What are they waiting for ? This is 2016 its a touring bike its a no brainer. I have an automatic in my tractor trailer when i hear guys say no way then don't buy it.

Greg O
06-08-2016, 08:47 PM
I was actually thinking about this the other day. the one on the Burgman 650 is pretty decent, and you can always switch over to manual shift.

yes, I would.

An automatic transmission in a wing ? Yes,yes yes. What are they waiting for ? This is 2016 its a touring bike its a no brainer. I have an automatic in my tractor trailer when i hear guys say no way then don't buy it.

I heard they were starting to install automatic transmission in semi tractor trailers, you would have thought they could have done it years ago. That has to be a saving grace for truck drivers.

Wing'n it
06-09-2016, 06:53 AM
I owned a 2013 Can Am Spyder with the semi-auto paddle shift and things went horribly wrong with that bike.... lawyer later and they replaced it with a 2014 with the new 3 cylinder motor and I thought it was the cats ass! Until,... I started having big "E" popping up in the shift indicator. That E stands for ERROR and the dealer could not find the problem, sold it with 1200 miles on it. I did like the auto and the paddle shift but...... it needs to work!

Cobraguy
06-09-2016, 09:50 AM
You just can't compare Honda's DCT with anything in the motorcycle market. Nothing else comes close. It's not a slush box. It has real clutches, two of them. I wasn't really sold on the DCT when I bought the CTX for my wife(she moved to the CTX from a Suzuki 650 Savage) she wanted the ABS more than anything. The only way to get ABS on the CTX is with the DCT. Once we got used to not grabbing for the nonexistent clutch lever when stopping it doesn't feel odd at all. Honda's chassis computer works really well and keeps the rider of the DCT from doing stupid things. If the front wheel isn't turning the rear will only go 20MPH and not shift - no wheelies or burnouts. In any mode you can't force a downshift that will chirp the rear tire or over rev the engine. When you brake hard enough to activate the antilock system the tranny also downshifts to the best gear to power out of trouble all way to full stop. It's really fun I've played with it on closed tight course, autocross for motorcycles, dive hard into turns grab all the brakes, turn the bike wide open coming out, no clutching no shifting just brake steer throttle.
Honda is putting out the Africa Twin in a 1000cc with DCT for 2017.

Cobraguy
06-09-2016, 02:12 PM
If anybody wants some more info on the DCT check out the link below.

http://world.honda-dct.com/

jkelley
06-13-2016, 11:09 AM
I just test rode a Can Am spyder this past weekend, While I didn't care for the overall way the vehicle rode and Im sure a lot of it was me being the problem, I did love the automatic in those. I really would consider an automatic Goldwing....