PDA

View Full Version : Stock seat. Hurts the lower back.

Kolsch
06-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Hello forum,
So I added the utopia back rest to my stock seat, hoping it would not make my lower back go numb. It work a little bit, but on long rides still no relief. Next I bought gel pad for the seat, still the same but I can go further.

I have highway pegs, that I use. Still the same.

Any ideas???

shooter
06-05-2016, 11:00 PM
I have a bad lower back. I would recommend a new seat by one of our sponsors. I can personally speak for the Ultimate seat. I'm sure others will chime in on their recommendations.

53driver
06-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Hello forum,
So I added the utopia back rest to my stock seat, hoping it would not make my lower back go numb. It work a little bit, but on long rides still no relief. Next I bought gel pad for the seat, still the same but I can go further.

Any ideas???

Two suggestions:
1. Use the highway pegs to stretch out your hamstrings while you ride
2. Get a seat that locks your butt in place and gives it a FIRM place to plant.

Do you have any herniated discs?
Cheers,
Steve

Kolsch
06-05-2016, 11:11 PM
I don't think I have a herniated disc. I hope I don't.

53driver
06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think I have a herniated disc. I hope I don't.

I hope not either - they suck like a Dyson.

I have two: L4/5 & L5/S1.
I find that if I do not keep my lower back supported against the back of the seat and my hamstrings stretched, my lower back will begin to bother me and I know to scootch back and try and get the support from that angled bit of material back there. Honestly if the passenger "butt chock" was right there, it would be a win for me.

Having written that, I have rode this bike over 1000 miles in one day with the stock seat and my back didn't feel any worse than it usually does.
For me the key is keeping the hamstrings stretched out. Through lack of stretching in my younger days and add the inevitable dehydration inherent in my current alcoholic lifestyle, there are days my hamstrings feel like they are going to snap up like those roller window shades. I have the AeroPegs and while riding I can place my heels on them - usually one at a time - and lean my face forward into the console. This done every hour or so eliminates my lower back issues.

Inexpensive option? Take a regular dose of ibuprofen before riding as a preventive measure. I know lots of riders over 50 years old that do this religiously to keep fluids from collecting in their butts, knees, and ankles. Repeat during the ride every 4 hours as necessary.....

Expensive option: go to the F6B rally (20 -24 Sep) and sit on as many seats as possible until you find one your butt likes. This way you can see the saddle on the B and then actually see and feel the effects of that particular seat on your seat height, arm & leg positions, etc.

Until 19 Sep? Motrin is your friend.
Cheers,
Steve

kenny urban
06-06-2016, 10:31 AM
Any ideas???
I have found that IF you STAY-OFF the highway pegs as MUCH as Possible,,that really helps,,
Only use them for a couple minutes-MAX, ONE leg at a time,,
Just to stretch, and then back down to the Lower pegs,,
I also do a couple stretches RIGHT before getting off the bike,,
When your on the bike for long periods of time, and JUST hop-OFF,, the mussles get quite a shock !!, also,,
I like to put-on the throttle lock, and stretch-out my shoulder mussles for a second, just before getting off the bike,,

Just my TWO-CENTS,,
KennyU.

airfreek
06-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Hello forum,

Any ideas???

Your back pain may have nothing to do with your seat. What pre-load setting do you have the bike set at when loaded with gear verses when you are riding alone?

53driver
06-06-2016, 10:56 AM
Your back pain may have nothing to do with your seat. What pre-load setting do you have the bike set at when loaded with gear verses when you are riding alone?

Good point!

Kolsch
06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
Stock setting. Really don't know much about that? What would you recommend?

Also. I added the passengers back rest would any of the after market seat work with the passengers back rest?

53driver
06-06-2016, 04:30 PM

Also. I added the passengers back rest would any of the after market seat work with the passengers back rest?

Page 36 (I think) in the Owner's Manual reveals the secrets of the rear shock pre-load adjustor.
If you (and no one else) has touched it, it is on the "softest ride" setting.
Had it been more than halfway up, my recommendation would be to turn it down to dampen the bumps in the road.

I have no clue on after market seats working with the OEM backrest. Most aftermarket seats have their own backrests as an option.
Good luck.
Steve

nvmyf6
06-06-2016, 05:03 PM

Oh yeah Kolsch, You definitely want to adjust your Preload. It is very easy to do.

The adjuster is behind the right side, side panel. Open up the right side, side bag, then remove the side panel. And there it is.

Max is I think 30 clicks, I put mine at 17 clicks.

Check out this thread.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8445-How-many-clicks-do-you-set-the-ride-adjustment&highlight=preload+adjustment

grendl
06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
I set my preload to about the middle,but I noticed when I had just gotten my bike. The first 5oo-700 miles were murder on me. I couldn't believe any seat could be that bad or uncomfortable.
Then I stopped noticing it. Now I can and do ride all day,tour and have done one 1k run with no worry about seat comfort.This led me to believe that maybe we don't break them in long enough before we change them out?
Now that said,I still want a Mustang for the looks but as a practical need? My stock seat and backrest are just fine..