PDA

View Full Version : Is It The Tire or the Pressure

seadog
06-08-2016, 05:25 PM
I have about 18 hundred miles on a new OEM Bridgestone rear tire and the center section had already a very distinguished flattened area in the center of the tire. The same thing happened to the first tire so I am wondering if we are running the correct pressure. I have had it at 41 pounds from the start so I am thinking of adding a few pound to see if it will eventually round out. Has anyone else experience this on their rear OEM tire?

53driver
06-08-2016, 05:31 PM
41 is per the manual, AND it's also the max listed on the side of the tire.
I'm not sure going higher is safer - especially with hotter weather coming.

Gotta ask: did you check the pressure with different gauges? Make sure one isn't lying to you?

Battoo
06-08-2016, 05:56 PM
if you go more you will wear it out more if you want more tire on the ground let some out say 35

seadog
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM
I want the tire to stay round more than having a flattened center section. It almost squares up the tire, with ridges on each side, like the tire in the thread about Elroy's Extended trip help is doing the same thing as my old tire and new tire is doing. I have two gauges I depend upon and both are made by Slime and they are both a lot more accurate then one might expect of a small tire gauge. I never had a tire on my old bike do what this tire is doing, the old bike tire always stayed round and didn't flatten out in the center like the stones are doing.

opas ride
06-08-2016, 07:02 PM
I have over 9,000 miles on my rear tire and it still has a decent amount of tread left...When I change tires, probably this fall, I am not going to use the OEM tires, but plan to get the new Dunlop E-4's as I am told they wear much, much better than the E-3's and are a better tire than the Bridgestones ...JMHO....Ride safe....BTW, I usually try to keep the front at 38/39 and the rear at 40/41....

Blk6bgg6
06-08-2016, 07:31 PM
I HAve wondered same,been running that 41 psi.In my case I have never owned big touring ride like this so maybe the big weight difference compared with my past bikes explain the flat spot.I currently am @ 12000 miles .I know tires in future just tricky knowing when cause they not cheap, wear bars my best indicator I suppose

khusmc
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Perhaps a flat spot from sitting over the winter if the bike was on its side stand?

willtill
06-08-2016, 07:56 PM
Car tire on rear.
/thread

shooter
06-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Dog , youre riding in a straight line too much. Lean that thing over some. Find some curves. Get rid of that chicken strip. If that don't work as you ride down a straight road lean your body one way and the bike the other. After 5 miles switch sides.:yikes:

Pap
06-08-2016, 08:22 PM
Mine did the same. I ride my bike to work. too much superslab. Definitely wore the center down to almost flat. Sidewalls had plenty of tread.

seadog
06-08-2016, 08:23 PM
Perhaps a flat spot from sitting over the winter if the bike was on its side stand?

It didn't sit on this tire over the winter I just put it on this spring about 1800 miles ago and its progressing to the same wear pattern as the old tire.

seadog
06-08-2016, 08:28 PM
Dog , youre riding in a straight line too much. Lean that thing over some. Find some curves. Get rid of that chicken strip. If that don't work as you ride down a straight road lean your body one way and the bike the other. After 5 miles switch sides.:yikes:

My favorite ride in the state is M22 north of Manistee, Michigan and it runs the lakeshore and I am always pushing the curves hard. Like I said, My Dunlop on the M109R always stayed rounded and never squared up like these Stones. I just don't understand it at all. they are just wearing really funny and it doesn't seem to be just mine as I have seen plenty of pic of wornout stones and they are all the same. I think the next tire is going to be a Dunlop to see if they make a difference.

lgjhn
06-08-2016, 08:30 PM
+1 to what Shooter said.
It's neither the tire nor the pressure that's causing it....it's the riding style.
It's also very common on the GWs because they're used mostly for highway/touring riding with very few curves.
IMHO, that type of riding is benefited by "darksiding" it, but that's another thing in and of itself.
Find some twistiest curves you can find and wear the sides off some.

seadog
06-08-2016, 08:35 PM
+1 to what Shooter said.
It's neither the tire nor the pressure that's causing it....it's the riding style.
It's also very common on the GWs because they're used mostly for highway/touring riding with very few curves.
IMHO, that type of riding is benefited by "darksiding" it, but that's another thing in and of itself.
Find some twistiest curves you can find and wear the sides off some.

As My Dunlops on my M109R never square up like this and I ride this B just like I rode the M109R and I love running curves so that riding style thing ain't flyin'

cruzdog954
06-08-2016, 08:43 PM
A flat spot across the center of the tire is called - "Floridatis".
Try leaning the bike left and right.

But seriously, I get a flat center when I do high speed runs on high ambient temperatures. Mostly in my past superbike.
I tend to check the tire pressures at least twice a month.

lgjhn
06-08-2016, 09:15 PM
As My Dunlops on my M109R never square up like this and I ride this B just like I rode the M109R and I love running curves so that riding style thing ain't flyin'
Dog,
Just my opinion, but we're looking at a 764 lb bike with Dunlops compared to a 844 lb bike with Bridgestones.
Stones for GWs are known to be, generally speaking, a somewhat softer compound then the harder compound E3 Dunlops.
I've mounted a bunch of both brands and the Stones are definitely a softer compound....so maybe it is the tire design. However, the softer compound, in part, contributes to making them a great rain tire.
I know almost every Wing I've seen with some mileage on the Stones will have the "chicken strips" and, IMHO, it's due to highway mileage with a heavy bike that's loaded up.
Maybe wear out the Stones and then put on a set of Dunlop E4s and see how they do??:shrug::shrug:

Steve 0080
06-08-2016, 09:40 PM
And the reason some go to a CT is the same 16 posts as above. After a few thousand miles you are on a car tire, at least by appearance !

:stirthepot:

bob109
06-09-2016, 12:16 AM
I want the tire to stay round more than having a flattened center section. It almost squares up the tire, with ridges on each side, like the tire in the thread about Elroy's Extended trip help is doing the same thing as my old tire and new tire is doing. I have two gauges I depend upon and both are made by Slime and they are both a lot more accurate then one might expect of a small tire gauge. I never had a tire on my old bike do what this tire is doing, the old bike tire always stayed round and didn't flatten out in the center like the stones are doing.

Was your "old bike" a 860lb. behemoth like the 6? With just 1190 miles on my OEM Stone the center had flattened out. After observing that, I figured if I was going to be running on a "flat centered tire" it may as well be a G-Max Car Tire. I know! I know! I'm going to crash and burn and go to hell! That should have happened 47K miles ago:yikes: Still upright and breathing and able to pen this response has some merit:stirthepot:

bob109
06-09-2016, 01:12 AM
My favorite ride in the state is M22 north of Manistee, Michigan and it runs the lakeshore and I am always pushing the curves hard. Like I said, My Dunlop on the M109R always stayed rounded and never squared up like these Stones. I just don't understand it at all. they are just wearing really funny and it doesn't seem to be just mine as I have seen plenty of pic of wornout stones and they are all the same. I think the next tire is going to be a Dunlop to see if they make a difference.

The stock tire on my 109R was a 240 series and had nowhere near the "pronounced thread radius" as the 6's OEM Stone! The narrower radius is more apt for "center wear" as you are experiencing! I went to a 250 Avon Venom R on my 109 which delivered 12.5K miles of wear, twice that of the OEM tire. The tire was extremely dangerous in heavy rain! As me how I know:yikes:

seadog
06-09-2016, 06:38 AM
The stock tire on my 109R was a 240 series and had nowhere near the "pronounced thread radius" as the 6's OEM Stone! The narrower radius is more apt for "center wear" as you are experiencing! I went to a 250 Avon Venom R on my 109 which delivered 12.5K miles of wear, twice that of the OEM tire. The tire was extremely dangerous in heavy rain! As me how I know:yikes:

12.5 miles on your avon, unheard of on my 250 Dunlop, if I got 7500 miles out of my dunnies that was huge mileage! I only got just 6990 out of the OEM Bridgestone on the F6B, I drive my bike like I stole it and that's all the time. So I never expected the mileage that people were proclaiming was going to happen on my ride and I was right. The other thread is right, the dam stones turn into a car tire whether you like it or not. I will try one more tire when the stone is worn out and put an Elite 4 Dunlop on and go with that and if that one turns into a car tire maybe Shooter is right although I hate to give him to much credit or his head will get too big and he won't be able to get thru a door:crackup:

Felloverboard
06-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Is it possible that you only checked your tire pressure after you rode to a store with a pump ?? You should only check cold pressure. A moto tire will change 4 or 5 pounds after you have been riding even a short distance.
I run a Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55/16 and have about 15,500 on so far and will make it to 22-24 k easy. Great for traction in rain or dry, high rated for hydroplaning. 30 lbs air when cold.

shooter
06-09-2016, 02:46 PM
12.5 miles on your avon, unheard of on my 250 Dunlop, if I got 7500 miles out of my dunnies that was huge mileage! I only got just 6990 out of the OEM Bridgestone on the F6B, I drive my bike like I stole it and that's all the time. So I never expected the mileage that people were proclaiming was going to happen on my ride and I was right. The other thread is right, the dam stones turn into a car tire whether you like it or not. I will try one more tire when the stone is worn out and put an Elite 4 Dunlop on and go with that and if that one turns into a car tire maybe Shooter is right although I hate to give him to much credit or his head will get too big and he won't be able to get thru a door:crackup:

I made all the doors bigger at my house.:crackup:

shooter
06-09-2016, 02:49 PM
And the reason some go to a CT is the same 16 posts as above. After a few thousand miles you are on a car tire, at least by appearance !

:stirthepot:
A narrow azz car tire.maybe 1.5 inches. I like my 7 inch wide car tire better.

shooter
06-09-2016, 06:18 PM
If that new Dunlop performs like Dunlop says it will then it will revolutionize MC tire construction. It is disheartening to pay your money and then have that big flat spot after a thousand miles.

seadog
06-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Is it possible that you only checked your tire pressure after you rode to a store with a pump ?? You should only check cold pressure. A moto tire will change 4 or 5 pounds after you have been riding even a short distance.
I run a Bridgestone Driveguard 195/55/16 and have about 15,500 on so far and will make it to 22-24 k easy. Great for traction in rain or dry, high rated for hydroplaning. 30 lbs air when cold.

My bike sits overnight in the garage and I check pressure before every ride without fail. I add pressure from my compressor. I am going to start running 45 pounds in the rear tire to see if it will round back out with the extra pressure. When a tire flattens out in the center your not running enough pressure in it. If your car tire starts to wear in the center what do you do, you add air pressure if its over inflated you are scouring off the outside edges. There isn't enough air pressure in this rear tire at 41 pounds for the weight of the 6.
Shooter how much air pressure did we run in the dunnies? Wasn't it 45 pound in the rear because they were wearing poorly at the recommended 42 pounds on the Suzuki's

willtill
06-09-2016, 06:31 PM
My bike sits overnight in the garage and I check pressure before every ride without fail. I add pressure from my compressor. I am going to start running 45 pounds in the rear tire to see if it will round back out with the extra pressure. When a tire flattens out in the center your not running enough pressure in it. If your car tire starts to wear in the center what do you do, you add air pressure if its over inflated you are scouring off the outside edges. There isn't enough air pressure in this rear tire at 41 pounds for the weight of the 6.
Shooter how much air pressure did we run in the dunnies? Wasn't it 45 pound in the rear because they were wearing poorly at the recommended 42 pounds on the Suzuki's

Your wrong with the analogy of trying to compare a motorcycle tire's wear against a car tire, concerning pressure

All of a car tire's tread is contacting the asphalt at any one time. A motorcycle's tire tread is not.

Accept the fact that motorcycle tires will wear more often in the middle than not, unless they are a dual compound tread such as a Dunflop E3 Elite.

Been there, done it

shooter
06-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Dog I went with custom rims at about 3500 miles and a 260 Metzeler. I run 42 in it and get good wear.

edgeman55
06-09-2016, 09:10 PM
I ran 41/40 in the stock Bridgestones and at 11k they were not to the wear bars yet.Now I top out at around 385lbs and up here in the Northern Nevada mountains I ride pretty brisk in all conditions-so I figure the stockers would of gone to 12 or 13K and at my combined bike and me weight I feel that was pretty good.Change out both tires for the Metzler 888's at 11K as I never liked the way the Bridgestones felt on the tar snakes.The metzs I run at 42/40 and so far are wearing great and not flatting out as much as the Bridgestones did.I would guess you must ride a lot of straight line superslab to wear out the middle that fast-You need to find some corners to have fun on and wear out those sides-LOL.

53driver
06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
...I am going to start running 45 pounds in the rear tire to see if it will round back out with the extra pressure.....There isn't enough air pressure in this rear tire at 41 pounds for the weight of the 6.

Okay, I would be remiss in not reminding you that the MAX COLD INFLATION PRESSURE on the OEM Bridgestones is 41psi.

Capacities and Construction:
Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 825 lbs./41 PSI
Load Range: B
Bias or Radial Ply: Radial
Tread Plies/Material: 4 Nylon/2 Aramid
Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Nylon
DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

There. Just the facts.
Please carry on...

willtill
06-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Starting to turn into oil thread :icon_rolleyes:

shooter
06-09-2016, 09:44 PM
Okay, I would be remiss in not reminding you that the MAX COLD INFLATION PRESSURE on the OEM Bridgestones is 41psi.

Capacities and Construction:
Load Capacity/Inflation Pressure: 825 lbs./41 PSI
Load Range: B
Bias or Radial Ply: Radial
Tread Plies/Material: 4 Nylon/2 Aramid
Sidewall Plies/Material: 3 Nylon
DOT Approved for Road Use: Yes
Tube or Tubeless: Tubeless-Can be used with a tube

There. Just the facts.
Please carry on...

SEE!!! He wonders why I kick him all the time.

shooter
06-09-2016, 09:48 PM

Will , I run the winter air in the summer cause it keeps my tires cooler. If I have a big load on I run helium for a little lift.:icon_cool:

willtill
06-09-2016, 09:49 PM
Will , I run the winter air in the summer cause it keeps my tires cooler. If I have a big load on I run helium for a little lift.:icon_cool:

:icon_mrgreen:

lgjhn
06-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Sure sounds like it, Will.
Just for giggles, I went looked at mine today and it's showing some "chicken stripping" too with just over 4K on em. :shock:
Once it's shot & ready to be replaced, I'll probably dark side it with a Bridgestone Driveguard.

willtill
06-09-2016, 09:52 PM
Sure sounds like it, Will.
Just for giggles, I went looked at mine today and it's showing some "chicken stripping" too with just over 4K on em. :shock:
Once it's shot & ready to be replaced, I'll probably dark side it with a Bridgestone Driveguard.

Ya... this is a heavy bike. My rear "stone" has almost 5K on it as well and it is developing a flat spot across the tread. Am not surprised. I have had many bikes and they all do it to a point. The center line of a M/C tire on a heavy road bike is always going to wear more.... that's why we sport those chicken strips on the outside...except for those of us whom ain't chicken :shhh:

shooter
06-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Oh and dog , if a car tire wears in the center its because you have too much air in it. If its under inflated you will wear the inside and outside edges.:banghead:

seadog
06-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Oh and dog , if a car tire wears in the center its because you have too much air in it. If its under inflated you will wear the inside and outside edges.:banghead:

You are again correct Shooter, so where does that put us on the motorcycle tire, how about change it when it wears out right! I know you guys love those car tires but I just can't get my head around the fact that a car tire was never meant to roll up on its edges. Where a motorcycle tire excels at that very thing. I will try the more air thing for a while and if it doesn't work then I will switch and try a different tire, probably an Elite 4 Dunlop.:banghead:

53driver
06-10-2016, 10:41 AM
You are again correct Shooter, so where does that put us on the motorcycle tire, how about change it when it wears out right! I know you guys love those car tires but I just can't get my head around the fact that a car tire was never meant to roll up on its edges. Where a motorcycle tire excels at that very thing. I will try the more air thing for a while and if it doesn't work then I will switch and try a different tire, probably an Elite 4 Dunlop.:banghead:

As someone stated here awhile back: "You can put Craftsman work boots on a 'heavy' ballerina and yeah, they'll last longer, but the girl just isn't going to dance the same way."
No, I've never tried DS.
Someday, maybe the Harley.
Cheers,
Steve

pilotguy299
06-10-2016, 11:00 AM
As someone stated here awhile back: "You can put Craftsman work boots on a 'heavy' ballerina and yeah, they'll last longer, but the girl just isn't going to dance the same way."
No, I've never tried DS.
Cheers,
Steve

The F6B is pretty nimble on the CT I have. At times I ride a lot more aggressively than I should, and the handling seems the same, and "maybe" requiring a little more on the handlebars to start in to a turn. But once there, it feels the same. The bike will stand up a lot quicker and with more authority, which i see as a large plus.

YMMV

shooter
06-10-2016, 04:46 PM
No, I've never tried DS.
Cheers,
Steve

That may be a true statement. I also know that you can put Usain Bolt in a combat boot and he can still outrun everybody else. I can tell you this. I can only say this for the Michelin Alpin. I could put that on your bike and I don't think that you could tell unless you looked. If you had absolutely no inkling then you wouldn't look.

opas ride
06-11-2016, 10:51 AM
No issues with my rear tire and I run 40/41 lbs in it always..Have run 39/40 in front since day one and got really tired of the "bouncy" harsh ride from the front forks/tires...Lowered the pressure to 37 in the front and man what a difference!!!....Anyway, no more high pressures for me, going to run close to what the owners manual says....36 front, 41 rear....Ride safe

wjduke
06-11-2016, 11:20 AM
I've been following this thread and I'm baffled. I have 7,300 miles on my tires and they look darn near new yet with no signs of what you have seadog. I don't ride hard, but I'm not a grandma either. We have some twisties here, but nothing like the south, and I do quite a bit of highway. I didn't take a pic, but I checked air and the quality of them this morning and they're wearing perfectly, in my opinion. My air pressure is never below 38.5 and never above 41. I check the psi every two or three weeks, so I'm not even doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm clueless as to your problem. Maybe the compound just isn't right in the batch you got part of.

seadog
06-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I've been following this thread and I'm baffled. I have 7,300 miles on my tires and they look darn near new yet with no signs of what you have seadog. I don't ride hard, but I'm not a grandma either. We have some twisties here, but nothing like the south, and I do quite a bit of highway. I didn't take a pic, but I checked air and the quality of them this morning and they're wearing perfectly, in my opinion. My air pressure is never below 38.5 and never above 41. I check the psi every two or three weeks, so I'm not even doing what I'm supposed to do. I'm clueless as to your problem. Maybe the compound just isn't right in the batch you got part of.

The original tire wore the same way that this tire is wearing. I have seen pics of others tires and the wear pattern is the same as mine. They just seem to flatten out the center, why they do that is my problem and I am varying the air pressure to see if I can overcome this outcome. By the way my original tire was done at 6990 miles so I am beating it more than you. Check out the pics of the tire on Elroys long trip prep help thread, that is exactly the same thing my tires have be wearing like.

ReserveBum
06-13-2016, 05:58 AM
FWIW Dog... I run the Metzelers and same thing happened to me. After a long trip split between interstate and backroads at about 6-7k, I found the tire was flattening in the center. I thought it was a manufacturing issue. I am on top of the pressures and always run 41 F / 43 R. After talking to a few friends about it and adding more miles, the flattening reduced and now I have 13k on those tires with no issues. Front is on the wear bar so it will be replaced soon. Rear looks like it will go another 4-5k