PDA

View Full Version : What's the policy on this?

Wing'n it
06-10-2016, 07:49 AM
Ok, awhile back I purchase a really nice black leather vest from a Goldwing rider on another forum. He had posted a picture of it and it was in like new shape and it had a handful of rider patches already sewn on, huge Goldwing patch right in the center of the back and several more around the bottom of places he has been. No big deal as I have been to these places as well just different times. So I purchased it and received it right away but now the problem/moral question. On the front it has all of his badges and pins from a lifetime of riding! Lots from the GWRRA as well as many from the Honda Hoot's as him being a volunteer plus many more. If I remove them the vest looks like it was shot with a shotgun as it's full of holes, I feel riding around with "his" badges is just not right, some of them are meaningless but others are not. I have had it for over a year now and have never worn it, now what??

willtill
06-10-2016, 07:52 AM
A vest is personalized.

IMHO... I would not wear it with those patches. They represent something that he took part in.

Dave Ritsema
06-10-2016, 08:05 AM
A vest is personalized.

IMHO... I would not wear it with those patches. They represent something that he took part in.

X2

opas ride
06-10-2016, 09:19 AM
To me it is kind of like putting a trophy on your mantle that someone else had won and your name was not on it....JMHO...

98valk
06-10-2016, 10:10 AM
I don't think that there is any moral dilemma here. You are not doing anything wrong by wearing it.

But if when chatting with someone, they start asking something about some of the badges and pins, it could get awkward.

Wear it with the gunshot look and cover it up as you go.

pilotguy299
06-10-2016, 10:32 AM
the "policy" is whatever you decide to do and can live with.

you've made it pretty clear that you don't want to wear it with his patches on it, since you haven't work it for a year.

take the patches off, and get some of your own on it. people will think you're bad-ass because you've done so much that you've had to rotate patches.

willtill
06-10-2016, 11:35 AM
the "policy" is whatever you decide to do and can live with.

you've made it pretty clear that you don't want to wear it with his patches on it, since you haven't work it for a year.

take the patches off, and get some of your own on it. people will think you're bad-ass because you've done so much that you've had to rotate patches.

:icon_lol:

Retired Army
06-10-2016, 11:45 AM
How bout just turning it inside out?

Old Ryder
06-10-2016, 01:44 PM
Holes don't bother me at all. I still use my Victory jacket with the out line of the Witchdoctor and Victory oval. I think that tells where I have been---and back to where I am now. The subtle Victory indentation on the back at the waist is of no concerm. It is just a garment. My Harley vest has an outline of holes on the back in the outline of the eagle and bar and shield.

I know it is just me---but the holes don't bother me at all. It gives it "character". :icon_cool: And a good conversation starter.

Felloverboard
06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Tell them it belonged to your boyfriend who died in a fire crash & burn and you wear it in honor of him.... They won't ask many questions after that.

willtill
06-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Tell them it belonged to your boyfriend who died in a fire crash & burn and you wear it in honor of him.... They won't ask many questions after that.

Good gawd. :shock:

stroguy
06-10-2016, 04:18 PM
I often dress up as a Walmart security monitor, the whole outfit. I have no issues, neither should you.

Nah, you shouldn't wear it. Send it to a motorcycle museum of some sort, they'll put it to good use.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/touring/top-10-moto-museums

Wing'n it
06-10-2016, 05:02 PM
The sewn on patches don't bother me at all as anybody can buy those. I don't have to go to Sturgis to get a patch from there but it's his "pins and badges" that were earned are the issue. I did not know those were coming with the vest and was shocked when I opened the box and found all them on there. Like some of you said it's not right..........think i'll just remove them.

GONRDN
06-10-2016, 06:26 PM
I would donate it to the Honda Riders Hall of Fame. That guy sounds like a hardcore true rider in all it's glory.

No sure there is such a place, but sounds like a good idea.

Big Cat
06-10-2016, 06:30 PM
I have a similar jacket, given to me by a close friend several years back. It "was" a KC Chiefs jacket, before I removed the Chiefs logo patches from back and front. Yes, there were some holes in the leather, but easily concealed by my new ones. Surely you can find plenty of neat patches of your own...with just a little effort to Google motorcycle patches, I found plenty of cool ones that "fit" me...a big eagle on the back, a couple of Navy/veteran logos for the front, along with my handle and a few IBA runs I've made, places I've been, etc.

The trick for me was finding a good seamstress with the heavy needle and larger machine to penetrate the leather...but again, Google was my friend.

I get compliments on my "new" jacket almost every time I wear it.

pilotguy299
06-10-2016, 06:43 PM
The sewn on patches don't bother me at all as anybody can buy those. I don't have to go to Sturgis to get a patch from there but it's his "pins and badges" that were earned are the issue. I did not know those were coming with the vest and was shocked when I opened the box and found all them on there. Like some of you said it's not right..........think i'll just remove them.

Then take them off and send them back to him.

or sell them on ebay.

or give them to some teacher to hand out to her kids as rewards.

prob solved.

JackB
06-11-2016, 10:17 AM
It's the same as a guy that wears Harley Davidson's t-shirts and Harley stickers on his truck but does own a Harley.

DaWadd
06-12-2016, 10:45 AM
How bout just turning it inside out?

Thats funny."coffee"