PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

willtill
06-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Just sipping a beer and musing about this tire I am going to be mounting on my F6B soon:

http://i65.tinypic.com/23j1v7l.jpg

pilotguy299
06-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Beer this early in the morning? I didn't know you lived in FredNeck county too!

willtill
06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Beer this early in the morning? I didn't know you lived in FredNeck county too!

Ha... picture was from last night... :icon_lol: Just was remiss in posting it until this am.

I am about 50 miles due east of you... my official worksite is right across the street from Westview Promenade/Mall, but I remote in from home :icon_cool:

Penguin
06-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I gotta jump in here. Why would anyone take something as critical as a rear tire of a motorcycle, and change it to something that the bike was not engineered for. Seems to me that a manufacturer would have specked a different tire application if in fact it made the motorcycle better. Just my opinion but I cant wrap my arms around this " darkside " issue.

willtill
06-11-2016, 11:22 AM
I gotta jump in here. Why would anyone take something as critical as a rear tire of a motorcycle, and change it to something that the bike was not engineered for. Seems to me that a manufacturer would have specked a different tire application if in fact it made the motorcycle better. Just my opinion but I cant wrap my arms around this " darkside " issue.

Because it works. :icon_wink:

wjduke
06-11-2016, 11:24 AM

Buddy, you're treading on thin ice....be careful :popcorn:

Steve 0080
06-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Just do it !!!!!!!!412841294130

Believe it not, the Honda shop mounted mine !!!

pilotguy299
06-11-2016, 04:17 PM

There are arguments on both sides of this issue on why or why not to do it. I did an awful lot of reading 5 years ago before putting a goodyear triple tread on my VTX1300R. The "pros" cited by people had already gone dark side, just seemed to outweigh the "cons" proposed by people who never tried it. I have yet to read anywhere about a car tire on a motorcycle actually causing any of the issues the naysayers were proposing.

Now it may be because in all of those incidents the people actually died in a big ball of flame, and were never able to report their accident. But I'm not convinced of that.

In my own experience the ride is smoother on straightaways, provides better braking on dry & wet roads, lasts much longer, takes a bit more to get in to a turn, but takes a lot less to get the bike back upright and stopped.

And to be completely honest, I find that I ride a lot more aggressively - even in the turns - than I do on a motorcycle tire. I just feel that much more comfortable and capable on the car tire I have. And that's with about 20,000 miles on two different bikes.

Tire selection is important. The GYTT has a pretty squared profile, and took a bit more to get in to a turn. The Brigestone run flat tire I have now is a little more rounded at the edges, and is more MT like in it's handling.

And I understand your hesitation to buy in to it. I was skeptical as well.

YMMV

willtill
06-11-2016, 04:24 PM
There you go.... someone just testified. :smokin:

pilotguy299
06-11-2016, 04:33 PM
These videos might help

https://youtu.be/qoNDo7o1d6Q

https://youtu.be/gZKhoFbL7Fo

https://youtu.be/oL0YmTZL1bc

https://youtu.be/PZ_d5IIdRZI

willtill
06-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Yep! :yes:

Penguin
06-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Buddy, you're treading on thin ice....be careful :popcorn:

No worries been there before. Having an opinion on a topic that is not shared by a majority is the American way. You don't have to like my opinion but please don't tell me to be careful.'chill/pill'

wjduke
06-11-2016, 07:36 PM
No worries been there before. Having an opinion on a topic that is not shared by a majority is the American way. You don't have to like my opinion but please don't tell me to be careful.'chill/pill'

That was in jest...from personal experience.

shooter
06-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Yeah and nobody asked him to wrap his arms around it. If you don't like it don't click on the thread. If you're curious read on.

shooter
06-11-2016, 08:36 PM
Will , you're takin your time putting that tire on. Buddy I promise you aren't going to self combust. You are gonna like it. Within a mile you're gonna say , "this isn't so bad". Within 5 miles you will say , " this is OK". Within 100 miles you will realize its one of the best things you've done to your bike.

willtill
06-12-2016, 06:03 AM
Will , you're takin your time putting that tire on. Buddy I promise you aren't going to self combust. You are gonna like it. Within a mile you're gonna say , "this isn't so bad". Within 5 miles you will say , " this is OK". Within 100 miles you will realize its one of the best things you've done to your bike.

Still got some usable tread left on the OEM Bridgestone. Maybe I should do a couple of Harley-esque stationary rear tire burnouts? :shhh:

shooter
06-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Melted rubber is hard to clean off. Don't ask how I know. Oh , and make sure the rear tire isn't pointed at your white truck.