PDA

View Full Version : Bike insurance.

Kolsch
06-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Guys,
Getting ready to renew my bike insurance, I currently have GEICO now. Paying $600 for the year.
When I looked around last year they had the best price, policy is only for my bike. They couldn't beat my car insurance policy, even if I bundled them together. Ok, I only have 1 speeding ticket from 2 years ago.

Anyone pay less??

Thanks for any information.

willtill
06-11-2016, 05:02 PM
Depends where you live. I live in a heavily congested Balt - DC corridor and pay $845.00 per year, for both my F6B and my DR650 with the green lizard. Full coverage with $100,000/$300,000 liability (exceeds mandatory minimum insurance coverage)

Geronimo
06-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Geico had me at 81 per month full coverage uninsured, at minimum. Drop to 65 after a rider course, went to Allstate at 31 a month, 2013f6b

shooter
06-11-2016, 08:40 PM
Check Allstate. They seem to be catering to bikes right now. I pay 450 for two bikes full coverage with road service.

airfreek
06-11-2016, 08:52 PM
Guys,
Getting ready to renew my bike insurance, I currently have GEICO now. Paying $600 for the year.
When I looked around last year they had the best price, policy is only for my bike. They couldn't beat my car insurance policy, even if I bundled them together. Ok, I only have 1 speeding ticket from 2 years ago.

Anyone pay less??

Thanks for any information.

State Farm: $220.00 twice a year
Coverage Details
Premium
Coverage Details
Liability - Bodily Injury / Property Damage
$100,000 each person / $300,000 each accident / $50,000 each accident
Premium
$33.19
Coverage Details
Comprehensive Deductible
$100
Premium
$22.95
Coverage Details
Collision Deductible
$500
Premium
$98.27
Coverage Details
Uninsured Motor Vehicle
$100,000 each person / $300,000 each accident / $50,000 each accident
Premium
$65.94
Total Premium
(total premium includes your discounts)

$220.35

F6Dave
06-12-2016, 12:01 PM
I have Allstate and pay $305 a year for full coverage on FOUR bikes. I've shopped around and no one else was even close.

willtill
06-12-2016, 01:34 PM
I have read less than sterling reviews regarding Allstate, if you make a claim/have an accident. This is from others in Maryland though... experiances elsewhere may vary.

I have also heard horror stories about Geico as well... have not ever had to make a claim with them (yet).

Progressive has most excellent service for us... my Tacoma that was crushed by a pine tree a few years ago, and my better half has had to make a couple of claims as well (not her fault).

May just drop both bikes on Progressive next year.

wjduke
06-12-2016, 05:44 PM
I have read less than sterling reviews regarding Allstate, if you make a claim/have an accident. This is from others in Maryland though... experiances elsewhere may vary.

I have also heard horror stories about Geico as well... have not ever had to make a claim with them (yet).

Progressive has most excellent service for us... my Tacoma that was crushed by a pine tree a few years ago, and my better half has had to make a couple of claims as well (not her fault).

May just drop both bikes on Progressive next year.

Progressive for me. They treated me extremely fair on my totaled 109. No questions asked and just asked for a verbal mod list, which wasn't very long, but still.

Steve 0080
06-12-2016, 06:26 PM
I have State Farm and am happy with it. The service is more important than the money...

I have a friend with Progressive, he totaled his bike and they paid him for all his add ons @ 100% got a check for $4500 more than book value!

terryboyle
06-12-2016, 06:58 PM
I live in Toronto Ontario area in Canada. No tickets, no claims. $1500 a year. And we don't drive year round.
:banghead:

F6Dave
06-13-2016, 07:59 AM
I had Progressive for several years. Never had a claim or a ticket, then my rates went up for no apparent reason. I made a few calls and learned they had erroneously changed something in my profile that caused the increase. To their credit they refunded the most of the difference, but the incident encouraged me to consolidate my policies with a single carrier. I'd also read that the 'Progressive' name is no accident, as their CEO donated heavily to leftist causes.

Over the years I've had 3 weather related (hail and wind) claims with Allstate. They were all paid quickly and fairly. That may be partly due to an awesome agent I had. She personally inspected the work of local body shops and roofers so she could make recommendations to her clients. Unfortunately she recently retired.

makya53
06-13-2016, 09:26 AM
I have Geico 2 bikes 100K, 250K for 980 a year.

makya53
06-13-2016, 09:28 AM
I live in Toronto Ontario area in Canada. No tickets, no claims. $1500 a year. And we don't drive year round.
:banghead:

Damn is auto expensive in Canada too? Guess you gotta take the good with the bad because you don't have to shell out $1200 a month for health insurance.

Old Ryder
06-13-2016, 09:43 AM
State and driving record has a lot to do with it, but companies let you choose a la carte'. They may quote you a low price, but it may not cover if somebody else is riding your bike or if it falls off a trailer or other odd ball reasons for a claim.

State Farm had me at $111 per month for a Sporster a few years back---Progressive now covers my 2013 B and 2006 VRod for $60 per month for the both of them.

Flat6addict
06-17-2016, 04:47 PM
Gentlemen, I am new here, but definitely not new to motorcycling. I want to share with you my thoughts on insurance.

I will preface by saying that last January, my wife and I were hit by a drunk driver that crossed the centerline, taking out both of us on two separate bikes. My wife was in front. She bore the brunt of it, and lost her left leg and shattered both arms. Of course, the asshole was uninsured. What follows is what I have learned from that... her medical bills so far are over half a mil- and that doesn't include the prosthetic leg. Mine were a paltry $62K, and I walked (well, limped) away from it all.

First, I think we can all agree that when the cager hits you hard, insurance coverage they carry will likely leave you short- especially since most health care insurance policies will claw back anything they spend on covering your injuries from any auto insurance policy you are going to get- yours or theirs.

The hospital, when they sniff out that your injuries were the result of a motor vehicle accident, will immediately try to get you to sign something called an assignment of benefits. They may even use a third party sales person to get you to sign. DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING THAT LETS THE HOSPITAL "ASSIST YOU" in processing an insurance claim. What they want to do is bill the auto insurance (either theirs or your UM/UIM) directly rather than take your health insurance company's negotiated rates- which are far lower than the standard billing rate. YOU DO NOT have to sign this, ever. Tell them to bill your insurance company. Hell, even those bastards are gonna steal from you too, but that's another story altogether. At least what they take back is the negotiated cost of the health care, not the full price.

Find out what UIM/UM is. Uninsured motorist coverage in your state is going to vary, but essentially, each POLICY has a UM/UIM line- NOT each vehicle. Therefore, it behooves you to have more policies- even from separate companies. Yes, it WILL cost you more in premiums. On the flip side, one bad accident will easily chew through one policy's UM/UIM. We had two to work from for a total of $550K.

Now, I have one bike insured with allstate- $700 a year, another with State farm, $620 a year, a car on a separate state farm policy, and two other cars on a USAA policy. NOW my UM/UIM totals over a million bucks.

Figure out if in your state how you can stack UM/UIM.

You will find that in a serious accident, the damage to your bike is going to be negligible compared to your medical costs. Don't shortchange yourself on insurance by trying to find the cheapest. Look at your tolerance to risk, financially, and insure yourself against the worst case scenario.

-Bo

wjduke
06-18-2016, 04:24 AM
100% agree. You have to have "under insured" coverage. It's what gave me a small amount after my accident. Without it, I would not be riding today. The guy that hit me had my state's minimum coverage. No where near enough for my small problems compared to what happened to Bo and his wife. I still don't have the kind of numbers Bo has, but made sure it's part of my policy.