PDA

View Full Version : Dead Bike story...and the happy ending!

RickJ
06-12-2016, 12:40 PM
On a ride to Asheville from upstate NY, I came out of a convenience store and the bike was DEAD nada, nothing no how! no click nothing. I finally called AAA (they now have an MC program I got 2 days before the trip) The guy was gonna tow me (carry me) to a shop, but it was Friday night, I'd have to wait till Monday for someone to look at it. I posted the issue here and several people mentioned battery...one even suggested the final fix, but sort of hinted at dead batt too...which I thought it wasn't) anyway, AAA guy agreed to jump it...it started, but as soon as I turned it off...dead again. He jumped again and told me where there was a Walmart where I might get a battery. We drove there. My son stayed with my bike I went in. Waiting on line, son calls and says there was a Honda guy there (employee) who owned an F6B and had the EXACT same problem. Cure?: remove both battery terminals and reconnect them!!!! ( I scrapped one off even though there wasn't any corrosion that I could see. Damn if it didn't start right up!! This was in a skeetchy town, 400 miles from our destination...It would have really put a damper on what turned out to be a really great trip.

Thought I'd share...it appears to be a [somewhat] known issue.

willtill
06-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Either disconnecting power does something to the ECM -or- maybe a stuck relay resets :shrug:

unsub
06-12-2016, 01:57 PM
RickJ, glad to hear it all worked out. If it were me, and I had warranty left on the bike, I would ensure that this was documented with a Honda service rep as a warranty repair or inspection with a dealer. So maybe take it in for an inspection if you can.

1. We have a member here that's going through headlights like water.
2. We have your issue. Which by way of feedback from the Walmart guy seems to be affecting others (not sure how many)
3. I recently experienced my tail light sockets melting down for no known reason.

My gut is telling me there is something not quite right with the F6B electrical. I could be way wrong but collectively this seems to point to something, just don't know what.:shrug:

edited for conspiratorial inclusion: [enter conspiracy theory here]"coffee"

GONRDN
06-12-2016, 02:11 PM
I knew it!

RickJ
06-12-2016, 06:57 PM
RickJ, glad to hear it all worked out. If it were me, and I had warranty left on the bike, I would ensure that this was documented with a Honda service rep as a warranty repair or inspection with a dealer. So maybe take it in for an inspection if you can.

1. We have a member here that's going through headlights like water.
2. We have your issue. Which by way of feedback from the Walmart guy seems to be affecting others (not sure how many)
3. I recently experienced my tail light sockets melting down for no known reason.

My gut is telling me there is something not quite right with the F6B electrical. I could be way wrong but collectively this seems to point to something, just don't know what.:shrug:

edited for conspiratorial inclusion: [enter conspiracy theory here]"coffee"

good idea...I'll call on Tuesday when my dealer is open.

53driver
06-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Did you recruit the other F6B owner to this forum??????

RickJ
06-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Did you recruit the other F6B owner to this forum??????

Ha. Good question. As a matter of fact, I never met him. My son was outside while I was waiting for battery help. USUALLY my son is painfully shy, and wouldn't normally have engaged much when the guy asked how the trip was. However, he is trying to be more communicative and actually answered AND elaborated. Son doesn't really know this site...but I was grateful that he spoke up that we had a problem!! The gentleman said he would stop back later, but once it started, I was anxious to put on miles so we left. This was around Hagerstown Md...so if the guy is on the forum...THANKS MAN!!!