PDA

View Full Version : Butler MC Maps

Scotrod
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Never really thought much about MC-specific maps,,, Just inquired on forums where good places to ride in a certain area might be.

While the help rec'd on the forums was great, usually it consisted of the 'more widely known' roads,,, "Pig Trail' in AR, "3 Sisters" in TX, etc.

(I've also searched online for good roads, but without printing/mapping 'em all out, once you are actually there w/o a PC to 'refresh' your memory,,, you're pretty much 'just guessing' should plans/weather change,,,)

Pig Trail and Sisters,,, I've been on both several times before. About the 5th or 6th time, it get's a little predictable,,, just doesn't have the 'rush' of a road you've never been on before,,, something you've never seen,,,

I had lived in Austin for many years prior. No stranger to the Hill Country. Even after moving to Houston, I've ridden the Sisters half a dozen or more times, but I still like to get out there during spring or fall for a few days,,,

Even on the 'highly popular' roads, we all have passed by certain intersections, wondering where it leads to, if its a 'MC worthy' road or a boring bust leading to a dead end,,,

For whatever reason, I believe it was a sale of sorts, I purchased a "Tx Hill Country and Ozarks" combo from Butler last fall. Something like 25 bucks, or so.

During the last trip to the Sisters, I referenced the Butler map for some more 'off the beaten path' roads,,, Super easy to go 'exploring' and still be at least be semi-assurred it wasn't going to be a total 'might as well took the car!' kinda day.

The wife and I did get to ride some different roads we wouldn't have tried w/o the map. Not because we would have got lost, but because the roads were picked and 'graded' by MC riders for MC riders. The 'excitement' of finding a 'brand new to you' MC worthy road in the same general area you've been in before is SWEET!

The wife and I are headed to the Ozarks here in a week or so. Again, we've been in that area many times before and covered all the 'high recognition' roads many times over. (Spent a lazy 1200 MC miles there last year alone, never left the state,,,)

This will be the first year in AR with the map, and I've already spotted a few roads that we 'just missed/should have zigged instead of zagged'.

I find the maps to be a plus for anyone who travels repeatedly to the 'hot spots' of riding and wants to explore the area further

The best part is getting that 'new road' sensation going again in an area you already love!!!:yes:

Scotrod
09-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Has anyone else tried the Butler Maps?

Are there other MC-based maps you'd recommend?