PDA

View Full Version : Looking to mount Ram ball on emblem above glove box

RickJ
06-12-2016, 08:47 PM
anyone done this? (On another thread (I did STFA) I saw Cheeseyrider mentioned it, but I didnt see how he did it...I want it for a GPS I had it on a suction on windshield, but the ram works better for me, and it is the ideal place...other than using stickey stuff, anyone do this with a mechanical connection? What's under that black F6B emblem?
?

Steve 0080
06-12-2016, 09:35 PM
This has been done many times !!!!!

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8583-Glove-Box-Cover-Shelter-Cover&highlight=ball+glove

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?1559-Question-about-GPS&highlight=ball+glove

53driver
06-12-2016, 09:48 PM
anyone done this? (On another thread (I did STFA) I saw Cheeseyrider mentioned it, but I didnt see how he did it...I want it for a GPS I had it on a suction on windshield, but the ram works better for me, and it is the ideal place...other than using stickey stuff, anyone do this with a mechanical connection? What's under that black F6B emblem?
?

To answer your question as to what is behind the F6 emblem:
Inset into the badge area - which is the larger rectangle - the black rectangle contains a white tab...

...which fits into the slot outlined below.

There is a fairly open, deeper area just forward of where the slot is.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

Penguin
06-12-2016, 11:17 PM
?

Hi Rickj. I used the Ram ball mount with the 1/4 inch stud. I actually drilled a hole in the glove box door and mounted the ball stud in the door with a fender washer on the back side. I then bought the Ram 2 inch connector and the Ram mount for my GPS. The ball stud I mounted to the glove box door doubles as a little handle I use to open the door. I wish I knew how to post pictures cause as they say, their worth a thousand words. If you need more clarification I will try to help with that.

RickJ
06-13-2016, 06:28 AM
53driver WOW, thanks for the detailed response. Steve, I want to mount above that box. in the area 53driver dhowed. Further looking I found a stickeytape garman mount...the base is about the size of that emblem...I wonder if the 3m tape is strong enough...

Steve 0080
06-13-2016, 07:07 AM
The RED tape should hold.... If I had to do it over I would get the bar that goes across the handle bars.....
http://wingstuff.com/products/20071-combo-accessory-mount-bar-for-gl1800

Vondawg
06-13-2016, 07:55 AM
Hi Rickj. I used the Ram ball mount with the 1/4 inch stud. I actually drilled a hole in the glove box door and mounted the ball stud in the door with a fender washer on the back side. I then bought the Ram 2 inch connector and the Ram mount for my GPS. The ball stud I mounted to the glove box door doubles as a little handle I use to open the door. I wish I knew how to post pictures cause as they say, their worth a thousand words. If you need more clarification I will try to help with that.

As I understand Rick, this is not the way he wants to go but I think this is what you did.

Penguin
06-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Figured out how to attach pictures. Heres what I did.

RickJ
06-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Figured out how to attach pictures. Heres what I did.

That glove box...rather than above, may be the way to go. How is the GPS visibility? I preferred not looking down so much...on that emblem, it is a little less eyes off road to see GPS!

53driver
06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
That glove box...rather than above, may be the way to go. How is the GPS visibility? I preferred not looking down so much...on that emblem, it is a little less eyes off road to see GPS!

Rick - I have my bike apart for some mods - hence the pictures were easy to take last night when I saw your request for information.

The plastic under that badge is thin - not "load bearing" capability in my humble (and widely ignored) opinion.
The glove box lid is way more rigid and it looks like a mount can be installed VERY professionally rather than red taped to the surface or a flimsy hole that will need reinforcement.
Yes, it has been done in that area and can look great, but structurally, my Statics & Dynamics classes tell me the glove box might be the better option.
And it's a helluva lot easier to get to!

For the "not looking down so much" I'm sure RAM - like Go Pro - has a kit for extending or angling their product, either before or after the ball.
Git 'er done!
Steve

Penguin
06-13-2016, 10:45 AM
The visibility is great and when you leave the bike just loosen the mount and store the GPS in the glove box. Ram also has a 4 inch mount if you would like the GPS up higher. I'm really happy the way it turned out and works perfect for what I needed to accomplish. Sorry for the crooked pictures

Wing'n it
06-13-2016, 12:32 PM
I have a two piece Mad-stad windshield and mounted my ram ball on the back of the lower section windshield. With a short ram mount clamp it places the GPS right in front of me so I don't even have to look down to see it.

JGF6B
06-13-2016, 01:30 PM
I have a two piece Mad-stad windshield and mounted my ram ball on the back of the lower section windshield. With a short ram mount clamp it places the GPS right in front of me so I don't even have to look down to see it.

Ditto.
I originally had mine mounted to the glove box cover but I found it too far away from the road for my eyes. The mount on the madstad also seems to do better with sun glare.

53driver
06-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Ditto.
I originally had mine mounted to the glove box cover but I found it too far away from the road for my eyes. The mount on the madstad also seems to do better with sun glare.

May either of you please post some pics of the install area?
Also, any tips, tricks, or traps regarding drilling or running power cords?

JGF6B
06-13-2016, 02:33 PM
May either of you please post some pics of the install area?
Also, any tips, tricks, or traps regarding drilling or running power cords?

here are a few pics of my first attempt:
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3529-What-did-you-do-to-your-F6B-today&p=120488&viewfull=1#post120488

I've since replaced the hardware with black button head screws and threaded them into the ram mount (no nuts, all black).

I drilled the madstad while it was installed on the bike. I wasn't quite ready for the drill bit grab-and-pull and ended up scuffing the dash with the bit. Be ready for that, or install the bit so it has as little exposed as possible.

My power setup isn't ideal; I have a USB plugged in the accessory socket. I tuck the cable into the intercom cable mount when I'm not using the GPS.

Wing'n it
06-14-2016, 08:10 AM
I can get some pics up when I get back to the bike (work) but I simply drilled a hole in the dash with the windshield off to run the power cord direct. The hole is at the base of the shield and can not be seen also acts as a good drain hole. My power cord is routed to the left cubby and tied into the lighter socket wiring so the GPS comes on and off with the key, like magic. I also mounted the ram ball to the shield and with black hardware it looks like it came that way.