PDA

View Full Version : First screw job

wjduke
06-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Hard day at work, come to get the bike. I try to roll it outside and it isn't moving. I put it back, center stand it, there's a nice screw right in the middle of the rear tire, and it's flat. It's plugged and aired up. Will check tomorrow. It's like new and I'm going to try to ride it out.
Seadog....upon close inspection, I do have some flattening similar to you. Not as pronounced, but I can feel it. You're not alone!

bob109
06-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Hard day at work, come to get the bike. I try to roll it outside and it isn't moving. I put it back, center stand it, there's a nice screw right in the middle of the rear tire, and it's flat. It's plugged and aired up. Will check tomorrow. It's like new and I'm going to try to ride it out.
Seadog....upon close inspection, I do have some flattening similar to you. Not as pronounced, but I can feel it. You're not alone!

Plugged right, I doubt you'll have any issues! Been doing it for years! My procedure is to remove the screw/nail observing the angle it entered the tire. I then run the plug rasp through the puncture hole several times, at the same angle, while twisting the rasp. Place the plug strip in the application tool, apply some tire cement insert the plug, give a 1/4 turn twist of the t-handle and give a steady smooth pull of the tool. The twist of the plug creates a sort of "knot head" and helps the plug from moving. Never any "air leakage" issues with this procedure:icon_wink:

wjduke
06-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Plugged right, I doubt you'll have any issues! Been doing it for years! My procedure is to remove the screw/nail observing the angle it entered the tire. I then run the plug rasp through the puncture hole several times, at the same angle, while twisting the rasp. Place the plug strip in the application tool, apply some tire cement insert the plug, give a 1/4 turn twist of the t-handle and give a steady smooth pull of the tool. The twist of the plug creates a sort of "knot head" and helps the plug from moving. Never any "air leakage" issues with this procedure:icon_wink:

I did it pretty much like you said Bob. The directions say not to turn it, but I did, from past experience. I won't use it now until Thursday, so hoping it sets up and holds tight. That tire has over 7,800 miles on it, and looks good yet...hate to dump it now.

seadog
06-14-2016, 07:10 PM

More pressure straightened out the 250 Dunlop on my nine so I am going up a couple of pounds at a time. I have 43 in it right now and am going for about 2000 miles per test to see if anything looks better. If it starts to improve I will go to 45 pound on the next 2000 mile test.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the screwing you got. The riding you have been doing, you should have that tire warn out in no time anyway.

Before I purposely put on a flattened tire my original stock tire was becoming flatted with only 4000 mi and I was running 42psi.

wjduke
06-14-2016, 08:09 PM
If I can get the summer out of it, I have a new set for the trip to Arkansas. If it needs to go sooner, it will. I don't want to get stuck out on the road, but I see a lot more use in it yet. I have a friend with a 109 and he got a summer out of a plugged rear tire. I have a plug kit for this purpose so it's going to use right now.

Slammd
06-14-2016, 09:15 PM

If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly…that is, running the tire for a prolong period with a plug in it…I'd say no way bro! if this were a car I'd say no problem. Could it last the life of the tire, yeah sure. But are you willing to risk your life for the cost of a motorcycle tire? I know it sucks (I've been in the exact same situation - $300 tire didn't even have 100 miles on it)…PLEASE, replace the friggin tire!! JMHO

willtill
06-14-2016, 10:08 PM
If I'm hearing what you're saying correctly…that is, running the tire for a prolong period with a plug in it…I'd say no way bro! if this were a car I'd say no problem. Could it last the life of the tire, yeah sure. But are you willing to risk your life for the cost of a motorcycle tire? I know it sucks (I've been in the exact same situation - $300 tire didn't even have 100 miles on it)…PLEASE, replace the friggin tire!! JMHO

No you are wrong. There's no issue with putting a plug in that area of the tread; of his rear M/C tire. I've done the same thing and that plug will hold for the usable life of the tire.

He will have no issues at all.

Bob109 initially posed the procedure on how to correctly plug a tire... that's the way I have done it as well. :yes:

Steve 0080
06-14-2016, 10:32 PM
This is EXACTLY why I use Ride on....pull/unscrew the screw, ride around the block and start laughing !!!!!!

seadog
06-14-2016, 10:44 PM

Its totally up to you but I have stated in the past that if I get a nail or a screw in the tire I will plug it long enough to get to a place to replace that tire immediately. You only have one life and two tires keeping that life safe, I agree with anyone that says to replace that tire as soon as you can. Your life is worth more than the money spent on a new tire. JMHO

3Chief
06-14-2016, 10:51 PM
The last time I picked up a screw in a bike tire it was a total loss...brand new tire too, for whatever reason plugs wouldn't hold and the slime I tried did nothing. Hopefully if it happens again the Ride On stuff recommended here works better.

bob109
06-14-2016, 11:25 PM
If there were any safety issues with tire plugs they wouldn't be sold..."PERIOD"! The "Ambulance Chasers" would be all over the plug manufacturers like "flies on $hit". Used them on numerous occasions throughout the years without incident! If anyone wants a education on tire plugs visit a Freight Liner Repair Facility. They have "heavy duty" plug kits for "heavy truck and bus" tires. We are not talking plugging re-tread tires, mind you. Any original tire be it truck, car, bus or cycle can be safely plug repaired if the puncture is in the thread/tread face. Any tire I've ever plugged and run until worn out was closely inspected once remove from the rim. The "knotted plug end" was securely in place with no sign of movement. A tire properly repaired with a plug will hold and maintain pressure throughout its life with only only slight air adjustments for temp and elevation:icon_wink: With all that said, the issue of tire plugging is like oil, rear end lube, tire brand, Dark Side etc. etc. etc.. All are subjective and at the desire and whim of the user:stirthepot:

wjduke
06-15-2016, 04:36 AM
I understand the different views on repairing a tire, and I knew I'd hear both sides. I'm in the business and I think this repair will work out. I'm going to run it locally and test the waters for a while. I have the meet and greet in PA at the end of the month. I'll gauge my feelings by then as to how I feel about a longer trip. If anything, it should show a leak before it gives out. I had all I could do to force the plug in the hole. It wasn't damaged in any way running it low or anything.

On my last bike I patched a tire that I purchased from a previous owner, let it sit for a winter, then when I installed it, I got a small leak. I was shocked as I believed in patches before plugs, but the tire took a different shape when it was aired up and caused the patch to buckle. I still rode it until I got hit by a car....I'm that type. After that episode and seeing my friend plug his for a summer, I'm going this route for now. He picked up a washer, so that tire actually had a small slit, not even a round hole. I was there when he plugged it, and it still lasted.

Steve 0080
06-15-2016, 06:40 AM
You can't change old thinking....

DMAGOLDRDR
06-15-2016, 06:49 AM
I sure do understand the thought proses and peace of mind of replace the tire if anything other than ideal circumstances, and I truly am NOT trying to down play anyone's thoughts. Although I am curious as to what some folks think will happen to a plugged tire? Is it the feeling that the tire will somehow rip open from the hole that was made by the screw? or that the tire will spit out the plug and go flat in an instant and cause a crash?

Just wondering ????

seadog
06-15-2016, 07:24 AM
Each to his own I always say. But if your like me and like to see triple digits on the speedo every now and then, I would not risk it on a plugged tire. The price of a new one isn't worth the risk of running a plugged one. JMHO:stirthepot:

wjduke
06-15-2016, 07:43 AM
My bike will never see triple digits, maybe that's why I get good mileage. I feel confident, and I did think about slime or ride on, but never made the move. Any sign of a problem and it's coming off...trust me on that.

bob109
06-15-2016, 08:47 AM
My bike will never see triple digits, maybe that's why I get good mileage. I feel confident, and I did think about slime or ride on, but never made the move. Any sign of a problem and it's coming off...trust me on that.

Wayne!

Regardless if the tire is removed soon or last several more thousand miles for you, please take a few pictures of the used carcass/casing! Pictures tend to paint a thousand words and are evidence of a good or bad "plug repair". Weather folks are pro or con on the subject, you will have at least provided them a glimpse of your experience!

Ride Safe

bob109

stroguy
06-15-2016, 09:13 AM
The difference between double digits and triple digits?

Open or closed casket. Be safe and respect others experiences and opinions.

Cobraguy
06-15-2016, 09:28 AM
Wayne knowing your in the tire business I have to ask have you ever seen a plug fail that wasn't iffy from the get go. I too spent years in different tire shops and have plugged countless tires car and MC. I have yet to see one fail that wasn't questionable when it left the shop, ie.. big hole or slit, close to sidewall, still leaking at puncture.
I think your doing it right feeling it out and being careful. Get down and check the air pressure before every ride though don't just kick it and call it good.

BTW glad to see the center stand is getting good use.

Audiochris90
06-15-2016, 09:45 AM
Its totally up to you but I have stated in the past that if I get a nail or a screw in the tire I will plug it long enough to get to a place to replace that tire immediately. You only have one life and two tires keeping that life safe, I agree with anyone that says to replace that tire as soon as you can. Your life is worth more than the money spent on a new tire. JMHO

Im not an engineer. I did work for Goodyear in the industrial rubber products division. Ive seen up close how a tire, a fan belt and a hose is made. I think its not so much the hole as it is the plys (just layers of fabric) and belts (coated steel wires) are compromised (torn). These hold that molded piece of rubber together. I use ride-on also, but like Seadog, its to get you to a replacement. Gents, we ride 900lb powerful bikes. Please get a new tire!

Steve 0080
06-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Wayne knowing your in the tire business I have to ask have you ever seen a plug fail that wasn't iffy from the get go. I too spent years in different tire shops and have plugged countless tires car and MC. I have yet to see one fail that wasn't questionable when it left the shop, ie.. big hole or slit, close to sidewall, still leaking at puncture.
I think your doing it right feeling it out and being careful. Get down and check the air pressure before every ride though don't just kick it and call it good.

You beat me to the question!!!!! A lot of folks talk fire and brimstone only to have nothing but speculation and B.S. to back it up ..... JMHO

wjduke
06-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Wayne!

Regardless if the tire is removed soon or last several more thousand miles for you, please take a few pictures of the used carcass/casing! Pictures tend to paint a thousand words and are evidence of a good or bad "plug repair". Weather folks are pro or con on the subject, you will have at least provided them a glimpse of your experience!

Ride Safe

bob109
I will Bob...I'm checking air pressure tonight and will take a before photo of the plug.

Center stand is awesome, especially now...

I have seen plugs leak after the fact, not necessarily fail. At my shop, we don't plug tires, we patch them! I know that goes opposite of what I'm doing, but I'm on the other side of the fence! As I said earlier, I have a friend who plugged a washer hole (slit) and it lasted a whole summer. I patched a motorcycle tire and it leaked.

I'm not a maniac, I don't race, I don't test the RPM range....I feel like I'm ok. My tires never lost more than 1lb of air, so I'll know right away if it's holding up. I'm much more concerned about it loosing pressure, not failing.

vmaxed
06-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Is this plug patch that you use at work Wayne ?
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1ELC4_AS01?$zmmain$

willtill
06-15-2016, 04:52 PM
Plugs work very well in tires if you install them correctly. I once used TWO plugs TOGETHER once on my past Tacoma's tire when a very LARGE bolt went through the tread. I wasn't sure if it was going to hold but it DID and lasted for several thousand more miles until a pine tree took my truck out (crushed it).

No different on a m/c tire. Plugs work. And last. :yes:

wjduke
06-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Is this plug patch that you use at work Wayne ?
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1ELC4_AS01?$zmmain$

Something similar Ed. I don't do the work anymore, so I'm not sure what brand we have. I just used a plug from a Slime kit. I checked the air tonight and it's holding firm. Of course, the real test starts tomorrow after work. We have a nice run of weather through the weekend, so by then I should know if it holds up.
Here's a before pic....it hasn't seen the road yet. It was tough to cut flush, but I think it's soft enough to flatten out without thumping. We-Will-See. Also, I think the tire is half worn right now. I looked at the new one and you can surely see some wear between the two.

blueverclear
06-16-2016, 03:21 AM
Each to his own I always say. But if your like me and like to see triple digits on the speedo every now and then, I would not risk it on a plugged tire. The price of a new one isn't worth the risk of running a plugged one. JMHO:stirthepot:

Im with you Seedog. I twist the throttle on a regular basis and its not worth it for me with a plug. I have had a plug fail once in my truck and my tire went flat while I was rolling which is what I would worry about with the bike running way too hard out in the country and the tire go flat on me in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I would rip apart or anything but I don't have time for another flat because the plug failed lol.

I would definitely feel more comfortable with a patch but if im going to spend money to have the tire removed for a patch im not putting the old tire on. Im not against plugging tires and I do keep a plug kit with me for emergencies on the side of the road but they are only a temporary fix for me until I can get home and pull the rim off.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-16-2016, 06:09 AM
Something similar Ed. I don't do the work anymore, so I'm not sure what brand we have. I just used a plug from a Slime kit. I checked the air tonight and it's holding firm. Of course, the real test starts tomorrow after work. We have a nice run of weather through the weekend, so by then I should know if it holds up.
Here's a before pic....it hasn't seen the road yet. It was tough to cut flush, but I think it's soft enough to flatten out without thumping. We-Will-See. Also, I think the tire is half worn right now. I looked at the new one and you can surely see some wear between the two.

In my opinion... just my out loud (OK typed out) thoughts.

After a look at your tire Wayne my guess is you MAY have 3 to 4,000 miles left anyway, Tops!!! One thing for sure, Motorcycle Tires are like life and toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster they go. ;) ;)

Honestly I wouldn't plan on another 7,800 miles on that tire. The rubber on the sides are a much softer compound than the center and will wear fast as it wears down. Before you know it your tire will look like this...........

wjduke
06-16-2016, 06:29 AM
In my opinion... just my out loud (OK typed out) thoughts.

After a look at your tire Wayne my guess is you MAY have 3 to 4,000 miles left anyway, Tops!!! One thing for sure, Motorcycle Tires are like life and toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster they go. ;) ;)

Honestly I wouldn't plan on another 7,800 miles on that tire. The rubber on the sides are a much softer compound than the center and will wear fast as it wears down. Before you know it your tire will look like this...........

Understood Dan...I saw more of a difference between new and mine than I thought....if I can get another two months out of it, I'll be satisfied. Trust me, this thing is on high alert! I have a new tire sitting right behind me and I work at a tire shop. Shame on me if I wait too long. I just feel like there's more life and I want to get what I can out of it. I'm not made of money, so things need to stretch out. I'm not on assistance, I pay my way, and I'm right in the middle of surviving and not!

shooter
06-16-2016, 06:42 AM
I think I can honestly say that Duke , being in the tire business has enough sense to not run that tire past its useful life. I know that the plug issue will be constantly on his mind and he is going to check that tire every time he crawls on that bike. Give him a break guys. He didn't just fall off the turnip truck. When it comes to doing things right he's at least as good as most of us and better than a lot of us.

Bob Penn
06-16-2016, 06:53 AM
Wayne you work for a tire company.:icon_rolleyes: What is a new tire going to cost you?:shrug: You probably even know someone who will mount it for you for the price of a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. I know you, you take far too many long trips away from home. Is it really worth the gamble? It would be bad enough to wake up in the morning to a flat tire but it would hurt a lot more at highway speed.

PS Did you happen to save the screw? It looks like just the screw I've been looking for to fix the dog's house.:icon_lol:

wjduke
06-16-2016, 06:55 AM
Thanks shooter, but these guys are civil....no problems or comments that I didn't expect! The 9 forum, well that's another issue!

wjduke
06-16-2016, 07:01 AM
Wayne you work for a tire company.:icon_rolleyes: What is a new tire going to cost you?:shrug: You probably even know someone who will mount it for you for the price of a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. I know you, you take far too many long trips away from home. Is it really worth the gamble? It would be bad enough to wake up in the morning to a flat tire but it would hurt a lot more at highway speed.

PS Did you happen to save the screw? It looks like just the screw I've been looking for to fix the dog's house.:icon_lol:

Bob, you're always good for a chuckle, thanks. I believe this plug is in there and will hold. That's all I can say about it. I can't purchase motorcycle tires through my company. I'm just like you guys in that department. I'm going to do some low level riding this weekend, and if this looks strong after that, I'm riding it out. The only thing I expect is a possible slow leak from it. Nothing else. The tire is in good shape other than the plug. This screw/plug is a text book fix...and btw, it's in screw heaven right now.

wjduke
06-16-2016, 07:06 AM
Guys, if this works or doesn't, I'll report it here first. Maybe I'm a test dummy for some who would consider it. I'm ok with that with what I see. My goal with this tire was 12-14k, but as others have said, I won't risk my safety on it and I don't believe I am right now.

wjduke
06-16-2016, 07:42 AM
My experiment just came to be short lived. I got a deal on a couple of take-offs, so no reason to run this tire very long, maybe just for the weekend, or the next rainy day we get for me to pick them up. I'm torn between being disappointed or relieved!

willtill
06-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Whatever the case.... having a tire plug kit (and compressor) and knowing how to use it; is a must when on the road with your bike. Or resign yourself to seeking assistance from a tow truck... or a long walk home.

Audiochris90
06-16-2016, 09:14 AM
My experiment just came to be short lived. I got a deal on a couple of take-offs, so no reason to run this tire very long, maybe just for the weekend, or the next rainy day we get for me to pick them up. I'm torn between being disappointed or relieved!

Thats good news. My views on the plug subject changed when i saw the blocks of raw rubber , the fabric and the thin wire that in a very short time become a tire. Also i saw the defect bin of rejects. Yea there is a few layers of each but im just thinking the force it takes to punture the vulcanized rubber is also enough to tear the ply. I was thinking you were more than half way through the life anyway. I didnt mean to preach or offend anyone, just my thoughts. Tires are not a micro engineered thing. The machines are that make them, but i was taken back by how quick they are made. The oven that vulcanizes the rubber is the longest part.

seadog
06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Whatever the case.... having a tire plug kit (and compressor) and knowing how to use it; is a must when on the road with your bike. Or resign yourself to seeking assistance from a tow truck... or a long walk home.

I bought this kit from Aerostich for 35 buck and it includes everything you need to plug a screw, nail or small bolt hole. I use it with Slimes small compressor, they have one kit with CO2 canisters but if you can't find the leak immediately you would burn all the canisters and have nothing left to fill the tire so I opted for the one without the canisters and bought the small Slime Compressor to go with it.
Its very unique how it puts these plugs in the tire, quite trick I might add. The plugs are shaped like a small mushroom and it squeezes them thru a tube under pressure and pops them into the tire. I have not had to use it yet, thank God but I am ready if the time arrives. Another thing I liked about this kit is it small and take up very little space.http://www.aerostich.com/stop-and-go-pocket-plugger-tubeless-tire-repair-kit.html

bob109
06-16-2016, 11:05 AM

+1.......One of my first mods is a battery "pigtail" and Slime Compressor and Plug Kit! A "peace of mind" feature which is "priceless" when the "flat tire syndrome" unexpectedly presents itself:icon_wink:

wjduke
06-16-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm riding with those items now...

Maddoggie501
06-16-2016, 12:20 PM

Right now Wing Stuff has a sale on the Bridgestones I believe its 299.00 a set, plus a 50.00 rebate. It runs until the end of June.

wjduke
06-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Right now Wing Stuff has a sale on the Bridgestones I believe its 299.00 a set, plus a 50.00 rebate. It runs until the end of June.

Made that purchase already. The tires are sitting behind me right now. I still want some spares. Saving them to use as a set later.

wjduke
06-17-2016, 07:30 AM
140 mile ride last night to Woods Hole, MA and back. 2/3 highway at 70 mph average speed, no issues. Will check psi tonight before I ride.

willtill
06-17-2016, 10:39 AM
140 mile ride last night to Woods Hole, MA and back. 2/3 highway at 70 mph average speed, no issues. Will check psi tonight before I ride.

Ambient temperature swings can influence variances of cold tire pressure and provide you with a false negative regarding the integrity of the tire plug. Use soapy water instead on your tire plug to check for signs of an air leak.

wjduke
06-17-2016, 12:53 PM
It's sitting since last night, so I'll know if it lost anything. That's a reason I didn't check last night. I'll know in a few more hours.

grendl
06-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Havent had this happen on mine ,but did pick up a shard of metal from the striping machines that rip off the layer of asphalt for resurfacing.
Brand new Dunlop rear on my Hurricane.
Both my dealer and a couple friends advised to just repair it and ride it out and I trust them.Thing is for me,I ride too far, too fast and alone most of the time and just was not comfortable with a plugged tire so I replaced it.
I'm not made of money and arguably cant afford that but I wasn't comfortable.
I know enough about physics to understand that the integrity of the tire was compromised but to what extent I dont know. I have and will use the little compressor and plugs to get me home or the nearest replacement point, but the tire is toast.Probably my dealer mechanics took it and used it. Fine with me I dont want to take the chance...
To each his own !

wjduke
06-18-2016, 04:38 AM
Checked the plug and rode again last night. It was down .5 psi, but it wasn't from the plug. I assume it's from all the pressure checking. The plug is firm and not leaking so far. I hope to get the take offs next week, and will replace it before we have the next meet in PA. For now, I'm riding. Our weather is perfect and I'm not missing out. The season is too short here to blow a week or so. It's in the back of my mind and I am taking it as easy as I can. No high speed runs down the highway. I've touched 80, but am keeping it between 65-70. On back roads, I don't really think about it.

I've been thinking how this could happen any time. I have the meet to ride to in September and I'm not going to run scared. I'll have brand new tires on and if I'm afraid of a flat and a plug, I might as well not go.

willtill
06-18-2016, 06:19 AM
Checked the plug and rode again last night. It was down .5 psi, but it wasn't from the plug. I assume it's from all the pressure checking. The plug is firm and not leaking so far. I hope to get the take offs next week, and will replace it before we have the next meet in PA. For now, I'm riding. Our weather is perfect and I'm not missing out. The season is too short here to blow a week or so. It's in the back of my mind and I am taking it as easy as I can. No high speed runs down the highway. I've touched 80, but am keeping it between 65-70. On back roads, I don't really think about it.

I've been thinking how this could happen any time. I have the meet to ride to in September and I'm not going to run scared. I'll have brand new tires on and if I'm afraid of a flat and a plug, I might as well not go.

What happens when you get another screw in that rear tire again, after you replace it? :popcorn:

If that plug is holding; it is going to continue to hold.

wjduke
06-18-2016, 07:01 AM
What happens when you get another screw in that rear tire again, after you replace it? :popcorn:

If that plug is holding; it is going to continue to hold.

That's my point when I added my second comment....can't worry too much about it...but I am getting two take-offs.

shooter
06-18-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm gonna have Duke carry my spare for me to the rally.

wjduke
06-18-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm gonna have Duke carry my spare for me to the rally.

Maybe I can come up with the first Continental kit for an F6b...this is an older crowd, they'll get it. :joke:

bob109
06-18-2016, 08:18 PM
Maybe I can come up with the first Continental kit for an F6b...this is an older crowd, they'll get it. :joke:

Now I know you're "older than dirt":icon_lol:

3Chief
06-18-2016, 10:36 PM

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/and-now-for-something-completely-different/the-continental-kit-that-tire-on-the-back-by-rick-feibusch/

I had to look it up for all us "youngsters" :icon_wink:

wjduke
06-19-2016, 06:19 AM

I only look this good Bob....the years are there! :joke:

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/and-now-for-something-completely-different/the-continental-kit-that-tire-on-the-back-by-rick-feibusch/

I had to look it up for all us "youngsters" :icon_wink:

I think most 50 and up should know that term, and that's 80% of the forum I'm guessing! I thought you were going to post one done already.

Bob Penn
06-19-2016, 07:00 AM
ahhhh you kids

wjduke
06-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Final ride on the plugged tire last night. Hoped to do better. I think I was on pace for 12-13k. The 192 wasn't last night...I was getting the fuel below 1/4 tank. Plug held up perfectly, and I may even save it as a backup to the backup. Who knows what my future holds. I have the room, so why not. Driving tonight to purchase the take-offs. Will install either Friday or Saturday. I WILL be ready for the meet and greet Sunday. Looks like a winner finally!

wjduke
06-21-2016, 09:19 PM
Thanks Ed! Just got home, all kinds of night work on the highways. It was worth the trip!

wiggy
06-21-2016, 10:36 PM
I sure do understand the thought proses and peace of mind of replace the tire if anything other than ideal circumstances, and I truly am NOT trying to down play anyone's thoughts. Although I am curious as to what some folks think will happen to a plugged tire? Is it the feeling that the tire will somehow rip open from the hole that was made by the screw? or that the tire will spit out the plug and go flat in an instant and cause a crash?

Just wondering ????

DMAGOLDRDR, I'm not gonna lecture anyone else on what they should do...but to answer your question, I don't have to answer what I "think" can happen to a plugged tire. I can SHOW you.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8994-Who-says-motorcycle-tires-are-safer

wjduke
06-22-2016, 04:39 AM
I was asked early on in the thread if I've ever seen a plug fail and I said I have, where it leaked later on. People have come in with three or four plugs in one hole then want a miracle fix. My shop doesn't plug car tires for that reason. Sometimes, the plug doesn't follow the same hole as the original one and you create two holes on the inside. No clue what happened here. You were lucky you didn't get hurt with that zipper tear. Definitely from low air and heat as you said. Mine never leaked and held firm, but obviously, yours didn't. Glad to see nothing serious came from this.

vmaxed
06-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Thanks Ed! Just got home, all kinds of night work on the highways. It was worth the trip!

That was a lot of driving Wayne ;dragster;

Ed "coffee"

willtill
06-22-2016, 06:01 AM

Just wondering ????

DMAGOLDRDR, I'm not gonna lecture anyone else on what they should do...but to answer your question, I don't have to answer what I "think" can happen to a plugged tire. I can SHOW you.

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8994-Who-says-motorcycle-tires-are-safer

Let's not solely blame the plug for this unfortunate incident. As you had described in your other thread, the high heat buildup from continued operation at low air pressure caused the tire's failure.

A failed interior tire patch could have precipitated this same unfortunate event.

I have never had a string type plug fail on a tire. I do not like the Plug N Go type plugging devices.

wjduke
06-22-2016, 06:15 AM
5 hour round trip. All kinds of night work, and the final straw was right at home where we have a 6 lane bridge down to one lane each way. It's done and tire will be mounted soon. That's all I care about right now! Thanks again

shooter
06-22-2016, 06:20 AM

That's a good idea Wayne. Big ole chrome rim hanging off the azz of my baby...........

wiggy
06-22-2016, 09:20 PM
I was asked early on in the thread if I've ever seen a plug fail and I said I have, where it leaked later on. People have come in with three or four plugs in one hole then want a miracle fix. My shop doesn't plug car tires for that reason. Sometimes, the plug doesn't follow the same hole as the original one and you create two holes on the inside. No clue what happened here. You were lucky you didn't get hurt with that zipper tear. Definitely from low air and heat as you said. Mine never leaked and held firm, but obviously, yours didn't. Glad to see nothing serious came from this.

Thanks, appreciate your thoughts. I just finished installing a Bridgestone DriveGuard Runflat a couple hours ago. It was a bite to get in there. I tried at first with 34psi in it and used the Honda method-I took the rear panel off. It was very easy. However the tire didn't want to go in. So I let the air out and removed the valve core. I still couldn't get it to clear. Then had to take the left exhaust sleeve off. That allowed it to be maneuvered up into place.

I hope I get good life/performance out of this tire. Although I'd try a car tire again, I'm not sure my next tire will be a runflat.

wiggy
06-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Let's not solely blame the plug for this unfortunate incident. As you had described in your other thread, the high heat buildup from continued operation at low air pressure caused the tire's failure.

A failed interior tire patch could have precipitated this same unfortunate event.

I have never had a string type plug fail on a tire. I do not like the Plug N Go type plugging devices.

No argument here, Will. I've used the Stop N Go on two previous occasions without fail on my Valkyries. I just got my car tire mounted tonight, so hope for incident free driving.

Since I now have a run flat, I think I'll soon invest in a Bluetooth tpm.

wjduke
06-23-2016, 04:33 AM
No argument here, Will. I've used the Stop N Go on two previous occasions without fail on my Valkyries. I just got my car tire mounted tonight, so hope for incident free driving.

Since I now have a run flat, I think I'll soon invest in a Bluetooth tpm.

I'm hoping that I had my one accident and now my one flat tire!

wjduke
06-24-2016, 12:43 PM
Kinda stinks....the balance beads and metal valve stems I ordered won't be in until Tuesday and I'm mounting the tire tonight. Going to line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and hope for the best. Might be a rough trip to PA, but maybe I'll luck out. 7 days to ship...

DMAGOLDRDR
06-24-2016, 02:03 PM
Kinda stinks....the balance beads and metal valve stems I ordered won't be in until Tuesday and I'm mounting the tire tonight. Going to line up the yellow dot with the valve stem and hope for the best. Might be a rough trip to PA, but maybe I'll luck out. 7 days to ship...

Just for a FYI side note....
Be careful with the balance beads, a few (very few) have had issues with the beads getting stuck inside the valve stem and when you check your PSI a bead gets stuck and the valve stem leaks. After checking PSI always dribble a bit of water, spit ect.. to check the stem.
Two friends have gone to "Ride On" for just that issue.

I use nothing so I have no personal experience other than one friend having said leak.

wjduke
06-24-2016, 02:30 PM
Just for a FYI side note....
Be careful with the balance beads, a few (very few) have had issues with the beads getting stuck inside the valve stem and when you check your PSI a bead gets stuck and the valve stem leaks. After checking PSI always dribble a bit of water, spit ect.. to check the stem.
Two friends have gone to "Ride On" for just that issue.

I use nothing so I have no personal experience other than one friend having said leak.

I always do the spit test, and if I ride this thing and don't feel anything, I won't touch it again. That's what I'm hoping for. I was hoping to spin it on our balancer, but the center hole is too small.

shooter
06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Four freaking pages of you crying about getting screwed. These guys have coddled you and held your hand during the whole ordeal. Its time to ride. Get on it..violin.:crackup:

DMAGOLDRDR
06-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I always do the spit test, and if I ride this thing and don't feel anything, I won't touch it again. That's what I'm hoping for. I was hoping to spin it on our balancer, but the center hole is too small.

Well, if it shakes like an old Harley I'll be behind you to pick up the parts that fall off...

wjduke
06-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Tire is on. Laying the bike over was perfect. I'll scuff it up tomorrow and check it on the highway.

seadog
06-24-2016, 05:39 PM

I always when checking tire pressure with beads in the tire, clear the stem with a shot of air pressure, if there is a bead in there that will clear it and then check the air pressure on the tire. I have used this method for the 8 years I have used Dynabeads and have never had an issue with anything leaking air after I was done.

wjduke
06-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Four freaking pages of you crying about getting screwed. These guys have coddled you and held your hand during the whole ordeal. Its time to ride. Get on it..violin.:crackup:

Hey, just sharing my experiences...might help someone someday....scrooge. :nono:

shooter
06-24-2016, 07:19 PM
What is the spit test??!! We use dish soap. :yikes: I'm not a scrooge. Just jealous cause you got 4 pages out of a screw.

3Chief
06-24-2016, 08:05 PM
He's old, it doesn't happen very often anymore so it was very important for him to maintain his stud status...:icon_biggrin:

wjduke
06-24-2016, 11:10 PM
What is the spit test??!! We use dish soap. :yikes: I'm not a scrooge. Just jealous cause you got 4 pages out of a screw.

I don't carry dish soap around with me, so I use spit to check for leaks. A little dab will do ya.

wjduke
06-24-2016, 11:17 PM
On top of that, name anyone else that got 4 pages out of a screw!

wjduke
06-25-2016, 09:01 AM
Final post. New tire is smooth as silk, at least to 80 mph. It's ride time again!

shooter
06-25-2016, 09:11 AM
Promise!!??:moon:

shooter
06-25-2016, 09:11 AM
You better find the north side of 80 if you're riding to Russellville with me!!

shooter
06-25-2016, 09:12 AM
Dang it!!!! Now its five pages!!!

DMAGOLDRDR
06-25-2016, 10:25 AM
We both have one new tire, after 19,667 mile I put a new front tire on last night.

It looks like the Eastern contingent is ready to ride. See you in the AM

wjduke
06-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Dang it!!!! Now its five pages!!!

I hit 90 this afternoon, because I was ticked off at a woman driver who seemed to be racing me. I don't do that very often....if you want more, I'll see you in Arkansas when I get there! 'riding'

wjduke
06-25-2016, 06:29 PM
We both have one new tire, after 19,667 mile I put a new front tire on last night.

It looks like the Eastern contingent is ready to ride. See you in the AM

Ready to roll Dan...exit 8...around 8

3Chief
06-25-2016, 07:12 PM
I hope all you guys/gals have a blast.

shooter
06-25-2016, 08:27 PM
I hit 90 this afternoon, because I was ticked off at a woman driver who seemed to be racing me. I don't do that very often....if you want more, I'll see you in Arkansas when I get there! 'riding'

Now you're talkin!! We are taking the backroads to Springfield. Shorter and more fun. I'll slow down so you can keep up.:stirthepot: