PDA

View Full Version : Over analyzing my new windshield purchase?

Macs_F6B
06-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Hello all,

I hate to do things twice, spend too much money, and having failed expectations... hence this analysis. I've had a bunch of bikes since 83, faired, unfaired, standard, cruiser, sport etc. etc. So with the F6B I wanna get it right because I really like this bike and plan on taking some big trips, which I haven't done in many many years.

My goals are:
* Less wind noise
* Less buffeting (I define buffeting as the difference in wind when you're on a bike with no shield or anything and a bike with a big fairing like the F6B, or just stand up on the F6B with the stock shield and feel smooth wind rush over you)
* hear radio better
*still look kinda cool
*Adjustable for warm/slower/shorter rides and longer/cooler rides (optional but a nice addition)

So........
Check out the graphic below. I took a fair amount of time with the bike on the center stand and leveling this or that etc. I have done it this way because when we talk about the shield all that matter IMHO is its relative height to our face. Although some manufactures state how high their shield pushes air up and over not all do that, which is a shame, if they do please point that out to me....

Your thoughts?
What should be added to this analysis to make the right choice?
Does this even make sense to you?
Based on the legend which is the best height for low and high?

I have an opinion but I'm going to keep it to myself so I can take all yours into consideration.

Oh, and no that picture is not me.....

53driver
06-15-2016, 01:31 PM
"Over-analyzing"????
Oh heck no.

Gathering data prior to a purchase to make an effective purchase is always worthwhile - unless you are Steve 0080 and buy whatever is "next" to just try it out.

The other pertinent distance I didn't see in that graphic was the horizontal distance from "nose-to-windscreen."

That's got to play into the equation somehow as well.

I'm still shopping as well......comfortably looking over the windscreen is imperative to me.

Good luck,
Steve

Macs_F6B
06-15-2016, 01:38 PM
<snip>
The other pertinent distance I didn't see in that graphic was the horizontal distance from "nose-to-windscreen."
<snip>

yea that is an interesting idea. the taller the shield the closer to the face..... I'd have to set up my stuff again to do that.... if I can motivate I'll try it.....

Thanks for the idea

stevenolts
06-15-2016, 02:00 PM
Just get the Madstad it comes to my chin so I look totally over the top and the wind protection is great with no noise or turbulence. It is the best windshield I ever had. I have the extra dark which looks great on the bike still giving the low bagger look.
Steve

stevenolts
06-15-2016, 02:02 PM
I forgot to mention my stereo sounds great with the Madstad shield. I had the F4 customs but the Madstad is much better and I love that I look so far over it. It is almost like no windshield!!!
Steve

Ixol Phaane
06-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Just get the Madstad it comes to my chin so I look totally over the top and the wind protection is great with no noise or turbulence. It is the best windshield I ever had. I have the extra dark which looks great on the bike still giving the low bagger look.
Steve

+1

pilotguy299
06-15-2016, 02:58 PM
barometric pressure and temperature changes the destiny of the air, which will slow down or speed up sounds waves. You need to consider the venturi effect caused by the windshield, as well as the corilois effect on which direction the sound waves are heading in relation to the direction the bike is traveling. Humidity can also have an affect on sound travel, but from my limited experience...

turning up the volume helps, as does making sure you have the Automatic Volume Control (AVC) set properly.

Sorry, I'm not a nice person today.

Pap
06-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Steve, your bike looks good with that! What size is it?

Pap
06-15-2016, 03:15 PM
Mac,
You might want to consider the back pressure different windshields cause.
I have the Honda tall shield w/vent on mine.
Cruising at 70-80 mph, I get substantial pressure on the back of my head and upper back.
I am considering the Madstad due to this. It seems like this shield might eliminate this issue.

opas ride
06-15-2016, 03:28 PM
Just a buy a car and forget the whole thing...Gotta have a little wind on a motorcycle or why bother??...I have an adjustable Baggershield and it works great for me.....Some prefer the Matstad, others whatever ???....I doubt you will find the "Perfect fit"...Good luck and ride safe....

53driver
06-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Steve, your bike looks good with that! What size is it?

Which Steve? Me, Stevenolts, or Steve 0080?

shooter
06-15-2016, 03:43 PM
I think my method works best. Just keep buying them till you get it right..........I'm on #4 or is it #5?? For me the bottom of the nose is about right. I'm 6'1" and I have a Klockwerks Flare. 16".

marmilia
06-15-2016, 04:30 PM
+1

+2 Madstad is hard to beat

Pap
06-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Which Steve? Me, Stevenolts, or Steve 0080?

Stevenolts

53driver
06-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Stevenolts
....good, I'm off the hook, 'cause I have no idea what windscreen is on my bike.

BobR
06-15-2016, 05:40 PM
I forgot to mention my stereo sounds great with the Madstad shield. I had the F4 customs but the Madstad is much better and I love that I look so far over it. It is almost like no windshield!!!
Steve
+1 on that and I have the bottom shield of my Madstad windshield in dark tint and my top half of the windshield is an 11" clear. I have owned 119 bikes over 47 years and this is the most functional windshield I have ever had.

stevenolts
06-15-2016, 06:10 PM
I went with the 11" / I am 5' 8" and that is what the web site recommended. / I adjust it every now and then but usually I keep it at the lowest setting.
stevenolts

Pap
06-15-2016, 06:55 PM
I went with the 11" / I am 5' 8" and that is what the web site recommended. / I adjust it every now and then but usually I keep it at the lowest setting.
stevenolts

Thanks!

wjduke
06-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Just a buy a car and forget the whole thing...Gotta have a little wind on a motorcycle or why bother??...I have an adjustable Baggershield and it works great for me.....Some prefer the Matstad, others whatever ???....I doubt you will find the "Perfect fit"...Good luck and ride safe....

We think too much alike....you have the balls and I just think it....lol

Blk6bgg6
06-15-2016, 07:23 PM
I have klockwerks 14 ,just look over it 5 ft. 8in..I hear stereo much better an the look is great.this Is third and I have bought an spent way too much money ,but it sure is fun.....If the wife knew well ?

shooter
06-15-2016, 07:46 PM
+1 on that and I have the bottom shield of my Madstad windshield in dark tint and my top half of the windshield is an 11" clear. I have owned 119 bikes over 47 years and this is the most functional windshield I have ever had.

Bob , I don't think so. At 2.53 bikes per year you didn't keep anything long enough to be an authority on it.:joke:

JGF6B
06-15-2016, 08:29 PM
Madstad +3.
Adjustable, lets some air through, zero buffeting, no wind on ears so music is great.

For weather: Baker wings! Block wind when it is cold, add wind when it is warm. Probably my favorite improvement to the bike.

imported_NMRed
06-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Ditto everything JGF6B said.

Maddoggie501
06-16-2016, 12:34 PM
I had purchased the 11 inch Cee Bailey's per their diagram. The wind was hitting the top of the helmet and was very annoying. I just put on their 13 inch and so far I have no complaints. I'm 5-8 on a stock seat. Would love to try a 15, but I think the top of it might be right in my vision. Save money and buy a tall one and keep cutting it down an inch at a time. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

copper
06-16-2016, 10:36 PM
Ditto everything JGF6B said.

Madstad +3.
Adjustable, lets some air through, zero buffeting, no wind on ears so music is great.

For weather: Baker wings! Block wind when it is cold, add wind when it is warm. Probably my favorite improvement to the bike.

+2 Madstad is hard to beat

Steve

+5

Pretty much all been said before me....

BuzzzPhotos
06-16-2016, 11:19 PM
I think my method works best. Just keep buying them till you get it right..........I'm on #4 or is it #5?? For me the bottom of the nose is about right. I'm 6'1" and I have a Klockwerks Flare. 16".

When the 2013 was new I remember not having much of a selection. Bought a Baggershield till I heard so much on here about the Madstat. Might have to try the flare now.

3Chief
06-16-2016, 11:22 PM
When the 2013 was new I remember not having much of a selection. Bought a Baggershield till I heard so much on here about the Madstat. Might have to try the flare now.

I'd like to see a Madstad in person...the pictures they have online look awful.

stevenolts
06-17-2016, 07:03 AM
I think the Madstad looks awesome on the F6B (extra dark!!!)

I rode in this morning and it felt fantastic.
80 degrees with my Madstad windsield:

New Dianese Air Frame jacket

My Dainese Drake Super Air pants
My Harley Davison Circulator Seat Pad
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/circulator-large-seat-pad

This combo is the best I have found for hot weather riding with protection.
Steve

stevenolts
06-17-2016, 07:04 AM
The Dainese mesh stuff feels almost like you are wearing a t-shirt and shorts.
Steve