PDA

View Full Version : Bad back support

choptop
06-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Last year before my 2,000 mile Yellowstone ride I hurt my back, resulting in a bulging disc and sciatic nerve pain that plagued me threw out the whole ride, well a year later the sciatic problem is long gone, thank God but the disc is still their and I am staring a 3,500 mile ride dead in the face. The disc is not a big problem normally but this is a 10 day, quite a few miles thing, anyone had any success w/an over the counter back wrap/support ? Thanks in advance

Pap
06-15-2016, 07:20 PM
When I injured my back, I used a kidney belt that I had from riding my motocross bike.
Seemed to work well for me. I also had the sciatic nerve pain shooting down the back of my leg.
I just got off the bike every so often and took the kidney belt off for a few minutes.
Good luck

Pap
06-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Cycle gear. Fox mesh kidney belt

choptop
06-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Thanks Pap.

Steve 0080
06-15-2016, 10:58 PM
A quality weight belt would work as well. Back in the day, HD riders wore a huge belt, larger in the front than normal and the back had to be about 10" tall. If there is a leather shop around you and the owner is old enough he may know of and how to make one!

choptop
06-16-2016, 05:12 AM
A quality weight belt would work as well. Back in the day, HD riders wore a huge belt, larger in the front than normal and the back had to be about 10" tall. If there is a leather shop around you and the owner is old enough he may know of and how to make one!

Thanks, Steve

lloydmoore1
06-16-2016, 06:57 AM
I have the same issues and after surgery I find these 2 things work miracles

voltaren gel

liquid advil 400 mg

If you have never tried them you need too they really work to take away the pain and stiffness. Good luck

Lloyd

choptop
06-16-2016, 07:14 AM
I have the same issues and after surgery I find these 2 things work miracles

voltaren gel

liquid advil 400 mg

If you have never tried them you need too they really work to take away the pain and stiffness. Good luck

Lloyd

Fortunately I can keep my socks on when counting the number of times I have taken pain meds in my life but I will check those two out for the trip. Thank you.

TailGunner
06-16-2016, 09:11 AM
I use these on long rides http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

seadog
06-16-2016, 09:18 AM
http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html They supposedly have different thicknesses of Motorcycle belt and are supposed to be a quality product.

Bdog
06-16-2016, 09:39 AM
I have found that making frequent stops and walking around for a few minutes helps. how often depends on your pain level.

53driver
06-16-2016, 11:30 AM
...but the disc is still their and I am staring a 3,500 mile ride dead in the face. The disc is not a big problem normally but this is a 10 day, quite a few miles thing, anyone had any success w/an over the counter back wrap/support ? Thanks in advance

Depends on how you sit and where that bad disc is. If it's too low or too high, a back support might exacerbate the issue by shifting the load right to the bad disc.

If the bad disc is in the lower area, keeping the hamstrings stretched is paramount to my comfort.
I have L4/L5 & L5/S1 herniations and if I don't stretch my legs out every morning, I ain't walking right by evening.
On my bike, I have the Aero pegs and I can rest my heels on them, lean forward and stretch out while underway.

For really long days of 700+ miles, I'll take two NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naporoxen, "advil") before i even start as a pre-emptive strike.
Keeps the swelling, and consequently pain, down as the day goes on.

Cheers,
Steve

seadog
06-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Depends on how you sit and where that bad disc is. If it's too low or too high, a back support might exacerbate the issue by shifting the load right to the bad disc.

If the bad disc is in the lower area, keeping the hamstrings stretched is paramount to my comfort.
I have L4/L5 & L5/S1 herniations and if I don't stretch my legs out every morning, I ain't walking right by evening.
On my bike, I have the Aero pegs and I can rest my heels on them, lean forward and stretch out while underway.

For really long days of 700+ miles, I'll take two NSAIDs (ibuprofen, naporoxen, "advil") before i even start as a pre-emptive strike.
Keeps the swelling, and consequently pain, down as the day goes on.

Cheers,
Steve

Take two asprin and call Steve in the morning!:crackup:

choptop
06-16-2016, 01:23 PM

Will only call Steve if I'm terminal and w/out hope! :icon_razz:

53driver
06-16-2016, 01:28 PM

Will only call Steve if I'm terminal and w/out hope! :icon_razz:

Good plan!