PDA

View Full Version : When did you discover that riding was in your blood?

unsub
06-15-2016, 08:58 PM
For me it was a neighbour's uncle that had a Honda 305 Dream.

I was 8 and the friend of a young girl my age two doors over. She had an uncle that by all accounts was a little wild. He had a thick German accent so that made him all the more eccentric, and fun to listen to.

He'd come by their house from time to time to visit driving either an old Mercedes dressed up as a home made stock car, or sometimes he'd show up on the Honda 305. One day he asked all the adults hanging around if anyone wanted to go for a ride around the block on the bike. No takers. Maybe because they knew him better than I did.

When no one else stepped forward I said "I'll go". I really believed he wouldn't take a "kid" on that bike, but he replied with "hold onto za seat schtrapp ya, und lean mit me into za turns".

That trip around the block changed my life. My back alley became my motorcycle test track until I was old enough to legally drive and I have never not had a bike of some sort or another in my life since!:icon_lol:

six2go
06-15-2016, 09:22 PM
In 1956 or '57 a neighbor kid bought a brand new Lambretta scooter. He was a little older than me and at that time in Michigan you could get a license to ride a 2 wheeler of less than 5HP at the age of 14. He took me for a ride after school one day and that sealed the deal. I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle. I was 14 at the time and like the OP, I have had a bike of some kind pretty much since that time except for a short period when raising a family. I'm almost 72 now and have been riding pretty much non stop for 58 years.

unsub
06-15-2016, 09:30 PM
I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle.

How could you NOT like riding one of those beauties!:yes:

53driver
06-15-2016, 09:41 PM
That this thread started today is quite ironic.....

I just discovered a few hours ago that the Army Colonel who lived a few rooms down from me in the MCAS El Toro barracks in 1997-1998 had passed away in 2012.
Col Matt Fevang was the owner of the '73 Ironhead that I eventually received from my wife as a coming home from deployment in one piece present and it was the first Harley I ever rode.
Matt was the one that got me into motorcycling.
I was always fascinated by motorcycles, but parental pressure and Catholic guilt kept me far away.
Then a wife, kids, life, etc. And in the USMC for an officer to ride was career suicide.

Then, as a Major, pretty much guaranteed retirement, I watched Matt on that bike and decided to take the MSF course.
I passed, and started looking for a bike and found an '81 Wing std whose owner needed cash. He was getting married in two weeks and expecting a child in 4 weeks. Same gal.
We bartered and I called my wife who was 3300 miles away in Cherry Point, NC and said I need $1800 for my midlife crisis. (I was 35).
She asked if it had blonde hair and boobs. I said no, but she had 4 cylinders and was shiny. I got the okay.

This bike is still running today. It was the starter bike for one of my crewchiefs and he has had a lot of fun with it.

unsub
06-15-2016, 10:23 PM
That this thread started today is quite ironic.....

I just discovered a few hours ago that the Army Colonel who lived a few rooms down from me in the MCAS El Toro barracks in 1997-1998 had passed away in 2012.
Col Matt Fevang was the owner of the '73 Ironhead that I eventually received from my wife as a coming home from deployment in one piece present and it was the first Harley I ever rode.
Matt was the one that got me into motorcycling.
I was always fascinated by motorcycles, but parental pressure and Catholic guilt kept me far away.
Then a wife, kids, life, etc. And in the USMC for an officer to ride was career suicide.

Then, as a Major, pretty much guaranteed retirement, I watched Matt on that bike and decided to take the MSF course.
I passed, and started looking for a bike and found an '81 Wing std whose owner needed cash. He was getting married in two weeks and expecting a child in 4 weeks. Same gal.
We bartered and I called my wife who was 3300 miles away in Cherry Point, NC and said I need $1800 for my midlife crisis. (I was 35).
She asked if it had blonde hair and boobs. I said no, but she had 4 cylinders and was shiny. I got the okay.

This bike is still running today. It was the starter bike for one of my crewchiefs and he has had a lot of fun with it.

A few throwbacks on that one. Queen seat and a sissy bar. Do you still own it?

53driver
06-15-2016, 10:26 PM
A few throwbacks on that one. Ape Hangers, queen seat, and a sissy bar. Do you still own it?

I do not. Sold it to one of my crewchiefs as his first bike.
Bates saddlebags, Yamaha windshield bolted on. Sissy bar was held on by 4 hose clamps - wasn't going anywhere.

Some days I miss her. I knew I should have ridden her better than I did. She was very forgiving and helped me along.
ALL my rookie mistakes were made with her.
Dropped her at a stoplight when I hit some oil with my boot.
Snapped a clutch cable and about launched over the handlebars, but she absorbed the shift.
Ran out of gas.
Blew the Main Fuse.
Learned all there was to know about wiring the alternator with one contiguous piece of wire and remove that clip that caused shorts.
We went on trips and she never let me down - all stranding occurred within 2 miles of home.

Steve 0080
06-15-2016, 10:55 PM
When I was about 12 yoa my parents remodeled our home changing the garage into a larger living room, and adding more seating area in the kitchen. The carpenter guy had a brother Roger who was a huge man who rode a HD. When he left from a stopped position he would lean the bike over as far as possible and take off with very loud pipes. He had a AMF HD dirt bike with the shifter on the right side. He taught me how to ride and fight was a terrible role model. I loved that guy! I have had a bike in my life since then, riding for 43 years on the road now. Could not imaging not owning or riding a motorcycle !!!!

3Chief
06-15-2016, 11:44 PM
My best friend in high school had one, my step dad had one and I eventually gravitated to them. I went a few years out of high school with out one, but have had at least one for the last twenty years or so. Currently my bike stables a bit full...3 of them...

BACA
06-15-2016, 11:58 PM
My Dad bought one of these....a 1962 Honda 50 Scrambler....(I don't think they were called a scrambler though)...

....when I was about 14 years old.......I could only ride it in the back yard, but I must have put alot of miles on that bike, because except for when I was in college........I've always had a bike (dirt, road, three wheels, four wheels), didn't make a difference as longs as it didn't have doors...........I was hooked for life. I'm now 67. Been riding for over 50 years.

unsub
06-16-2016, 12:37 AM
I've been riding for 42 years and counting..
:301:

Hornblower
06-16-2016, 08:03 AM
My first real job was in the 60's as an electrical engineer with the power company. During those years, the linemen were very often larger-than-life types whose work was very dangerous. They always had big stories to tell and were really fun to work with. One of those guys was the best off road racers in the area whose name was Larry. Larry was basically one of those Steve McQueen types who was just so cool in every way. One day, I asked Larry what he thought was the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle. He quickly replied, "start racing, you'll learn real fast". So, I bought a dirt bike and started racing. He was right. I learned real fast...the hard way. Eventually though, Larry and I wound up racing together and had many fun and competitive races although I never beat him. Those were great days and lead to a lifetime of love for two wheels.

TailGunner
06-16-2016, 08:51 AM
In 1971 when on any Sunday was released is when I first knew I wanted to ride, I was 11. Also growing up next to Ascot Park in Gardena plus all the motocross tracks in SoCal at that time my brother and I started racing. SoCal was great in those days! After that, sport bikes for awhile than cruisers and finally to my first touring bike(F6B) Hopefully I can ride as long as you guys have. :yes:

TailGunner
06-16-2016, 08:57 AM
In 1956 or '57 a neighbor kid bought a brand new Lambretta scooter. He was a little older than me and at that time in Michigan you could get a license to ride a 2 wheeler of less than 5HP at the age of 14. He took me for a ride after school one day and that sealed the deal. I started saving every nickel I earned from my paper route and managed to come up with $410 to buy a brand new 1959 Cushman Eagle. I was 14 at the time and like the OP, I have had a bike of some kind pretty much since that time except for a short period when raising a family. I'm almost 72 now and have been riding pretty much non stop for 58 years.

I'm impressed you were able to save that amount with a paper route during the 50's. That is total dedication to your goal!

six2go
06-16-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm impressed you were able to save that amount with a paper route during the 50's. That is total dedication to your goal!Well, I had a little bit to start with so not the entire $410. But it was about a 2 yr. program that I set out on and stuck with it. I wanted that Cushman real bad.

opas ride
06-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Bought my first ride at 14 back in 1954. A Whizzer motorbike from a buddy in school for $50...Rode it for a over year delivering papers and saved enough to buy a Cushman scooter.....Been riding motorcycles on and off since then...About 20 or so bikes over the years...Did not ride much from 1958-1998 while I was in school, traveling on my job and raising 5 kids..Been back on bikes since then and hope to ride until I am least 80....Ride safe

pilotguy299
06-16-2016, 10:14 AM
It actually happened much later in life for me. I had decided to give up flying as much as I had been doing, and was looking for something less expensive and more accessible to do during my free time.

I took up riding at 44, and been doing it pretty regularly for the past 10 years. And much more since I got the F6B.

willtill
06-16-2016, 11:36 AM
When I was little; and I first rode this (belonged to a friend)

http://i63.tinypic.com/2vkyj4y.jpg

2015F6B
06-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Well, I was born in January 1947 which will make me 70 this coming January. When I was 14 in 1961 my dad didn't hesitate to help me buy this used 1958 Lambretta (yes that's me in the picture). That was my first ride. There have been years since then that I was without two wheels due to military service, career, etc. but I'll never forget that summer when I was 14, the best of my life . . .

Old Ryder
06-16-2016, 03:47 PM
I had a cousin 3 years older than I am and he got a Honda 50 when he was 14 years old back in the mid 60s. We burned up the roads in Twiggs and Bleckley counties as he did not have a license. Back then it was not a big deal to the LEO. Everybody knew everybody else in the rural godforsaken back Ga woods. I lived in Macon and would go stay as much of the summer with him as I could. He got older and got a 125 Benelli and life got even better. Then I saw Steve McQueen in the Great Escape (BTW--bought the DVD).

My parents forbade me from riding anything but bicycle, but you know how that works when you are visiting 40 miles away. I also have a buddy who got a mini bike about that time and we had our share of fun on it---then the decision was made. All I needed was time---a drivers license---and money. At 21 years of age in 1977, I got a small inheritance from my deceased grandmother and guess what 30% of it went towards????????????? So on a cold drizzly February night after work, I went to the Honda Dealership and paid cash for a brand new XL125. And in the dark rain of a winter Tuesday night, I taught myself how to ride on the way home---wearing work clothes and a yellow windbreaker. Didn't even have gloves or eye protection---and in the 50 degree rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes I look at the B and the Street Rod in the garage and reflect. The Grateful Dead said it best: "What a long strange trip it's been"

Kdarmy
06-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Probably about 1976, this Honda ST90 did it for me. i doubt I'll ever have a bike I'll love or have as much fun with than that I did with that one. :icon_mrgreen:
Even after everything I did with that bike, It always ran perfect!

Delta
06-16-2016, 05:12 PM
My Dad bought one of these....a 1962 Honda 50 Scrambler....(I don't think they were called a scrambler though)...

....when I was about 14 years old.......I could only ride it in the back yard, but I must have put alot of miles on that bike, because except for when I was in college........I've always had a bike (dirt, road, three wheels, four wheels), didn't make a difference as longs as it didn't have doors...........I was hooked for life. I'm now 67. Been riding for over 50 years.
I believe that it was called a Trail 50. The Scrambler tag was used for the 250 and then the 305s.

seadog
06-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Neighbor had a brand spankin new 1959 Cushman Eagle and let me ride it from time to time. Was hooked right from then on.

unsub
06-16-2016, 06:09 PM
And in the dark rain of a winter Tuesday night, I taught myself how to ride on the way home---

I think that's how most of us "older generation" learned. On our own. When I went for my motorcycle certification the examiner gave me directions that covered off about 1 square mile that circled back to the examiner's office. He said" come back in one piece and you are licensed". Hows that for DMV efficiency? :icon_wink:

Of course it's a much busier/nastier world out there on the streets and I would only recommend proper safety instruction leading up to a licence today.

unsub
06-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Probably about 1976, this Honda ST90 did it for me. i doubt I'll ever have a bike I'll love or have as much fun with than that I did with that one. :icon_mrgreen:
Even after everything I did with that bike, It always ran perfect!

I still see these, or a variation of, strapped down on the back of motorhomes or campers.:yes:

imscots
06-16-2016, 06:24 PM
Very first bike was a 500 BSA with sidecar I bought from a friends dad in 1965, but then I got this one pictured about 1966, A James 250CC Superswift. I loved it until I crashed it in a snowstorm in Scotland and bent the front forks and never could find new forks for it. A Royal Enfield followed for a short time and then I got married and gave up riding. Until about 9 years ago. I have the B now and I love it.

Blk6bgg6
06-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Man u guys bringing back good memories.A good friends dad was into those kaw triples always tinkering in the barn with em.So cool to ride them of course on one wheel.Actually we rode dirt bikes an had blast on em.The honda 90 was popular as another friend rode that thing everywhere.Also intrigued with 2 uncles on mom's side that rode the harleys.It is neat seeing how u all started some a little later in life than others yet a common trait here we all couldn't get it out of our blood if we stopped ridin.Really cool the older riders as I plan to keep ridin as long I can..great stories safe ridin

Brasco
06-16-2016, 07:59 PM
A great thread! I was consumed by bikes as a young teenager but they stayed within the pages of magazines (parental pressure and Anglican guilt -- similar to 53driver!). Around that same time I met a young family friend in his early 20s (I was 16) who had suffered brain damage in a crash and walked with a cane. That kind of put things to rest for me for years (probably a parental setup) but the idea and the desire never completely went away. Then came marriage and kids; the usual stuff. Tick tock goes the clock. It wasn't until I was working with quite a few guys who rode (police service) that I finally put it into action. I told those guys I was too old now to start (early 40s then) and they said no way -- go do it. So I did and I haven't looked back. On my third and best bike now and loving every minute of it.

unsub
06-16-2016, 08:06 PM
Man u guys bringing back good memories.It is neat seeing how u all started some a little later in life than others yet a common trait here we all couldn't get it out of our blood if we stopped ridin.Really cool the older riders as I plan to keep ridin as long I can..great stories safe ridin

Yup, it's the bell that can't be unrung!

:icon_mrgreen:

Kolsch
06-16-2016, 10:31 PM
My uncle got me a Honda MR50 when I turned 5. I learned how to balance on it. That is what did it for me. Been riding RED my whole life!!

powercruzer13
06-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Street riding in the early 1980's. Honda 4 bangers then.
Dirt bikes in the late 1960's to early 1970's. Yamahas & Hodakas.
:icon_cool:

STR8UP
06-18-2016, 06:25 PM
In the early 60's my dad worked as a mechanic at a car dealership and one day he came home on a Vespa scooter someone had traded in for a car. He took me to grade school on that scooter until the dealership sold it. I felt like the coolest kid in town. From that day on I knew that one day I would ride a motorcycle. When I turned 18 I bought my first road bike, a 1972 Honda CB350. Later it was a CB750, Sabre V45, a couple of BMWs, a ST1100 and now my black F6B. There is something I loved in all my bike's but this F6B brings together all the elements that makes it the best bike I have ever owned.

BACA
06-18-2016, 11:21 PM
I believe that it was called a Trail 50. The Scrambler tag was used for the 250 and then the 305s.

Yep.....now I remember.....Thanks!

wjduke
06-19-2016, 06:25 AM
I guess I started to like it with my first in 1981, a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650. I did some trail riding when I was younger at a place where you could rent and ride, but it didn't grab me then. Soon after the KZ was a brand new 1982 Goldwing, stripped down. Then life started... marriage, my son, and the toys were gone for 27 years or so. Got the bug again after friends started buying them, and here I am with the best bike I ever owned.

DarkKnt
06-20-2016, 11:34 AM
In the 60's-70's they made DIY kits for everything from TV's to minibikes (yes, you could build yourself one of those new - fangled colour TV's)... At 13 years old my Dad gave me the "Boonie -Bike" as a surprise birthday present. I spent the next days ripping around at a cottage in the Muskoka region; no helmet, license or brains, but the greatest feeling of independence I've ever experienced. When I turned 16 my first real bike was a BSA Royal Star. Other bikes followed, but like many others, career, marriage and kids put it all on hold until a few years ago. I do regret that, but intend on making up for lost time....

DarkKnt
06-20-2016, 11:47 AM

MotoMike
06-21-2016, 10:58 AM
It all started with a ride on the back of a minibike when I was 8 or 9. I was never the same after that. When I was 14 my buddy and I took turns flat tracking his dad's Honda 55 step through on the fire roads in the Simi hills. Ahhhh, memories. That cemented the quest for my first bike, a HODAKA Super Rat. I remember seeing Roger Decoster racing the Moto GP at Hope town when I was a teen. Any SoCAL boys remember Hopetown?

TailGunner
06-21-2016, 11:29 AM
It all started with a ride on the back of a minibike when I was 8 or 9. I was never the same after that. When I was 14 my buddy and I took turns flat tracking his dad's Honda 55 step through on the fire roads in the Simi hills. Ahhhh, memories. That cemented the quest for my first bike, a HODAKA Super Rat. I remember seeing Roger Decoster racing the Moto GP at Hope town when I was a teen. Any SoCAL boys remember Hopetown?
Yes and Indian Dunes, Muntz Park,Saddleback, Carlsbad and all the local race tracks like Ascot Park. It was great times to be racing in SoCal back then. Kinda feel sorry for the kids now a days. :icon_biggrin:

Wing'n it
06-21-2016, 12:00 PM
We moved to the country when I was 12 and all the neighbor kids had dirt bike because everybody had a driveway that was at least a mile long. Well after walking everywhere for one summer my dad came home from work with a used Honda CB100 street bike. That was awesome but did not go very well in the dirt. Later my mom purchased a basket case Kawasaki KDX175 at a yard sale for $35.00 that seriously had the motor in a clothes basket. My dad bought me all the missing parts and I had that Kawasaki running in 2 weeks, now I could burn up the roads as well as the woods!

MotoMike
06-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Yes and Indian Dunes, Muntz Park,Saddleback, Carlsbad and all the local race tracks like Ascot Park. It was great times to be racing in SoCal back then. Kinda feel sorry for the kids now a days. :icon_biggrin: We used to moto all over the Santa Clara river bed from Indian Dunes to Santa Paula.Muntz was out near where the 23 is now. You can still see traces of the course on the hills. Ascot was awesome as well. Remember watching Bruce Penhall and Billy Gray (Bud on Father Knows best) race speedway on their alky Jawas. You're right about nowhere to ride for the kids now. We used to ride our dirt bikes on the street up into all the hills around Simi. Then we got a police department and the coppers would chase us on their new XL250's. Bwahaha. Good times.

empirelloyd
06-23-2016, 03:37 PM
had a honda ct 70 when i was ten,,,,,, hooked ever since

Necanefan
06-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Six or seven years old. I had a 5hp mini bike that I wore the wheels off through the field next to my house. I think from that point on i knew it must never end.