PDA

View Full Version : Times Changing

Fla_rider
06-16-2016, 09:34 AM
This is a two part story - the first part is about my windshield and the second is about "Darksiding".

Summers are hot in Florida! Like many of you I changed my stock shield. I first choose a baggershield because I liked the looks and it's function to add another section in a matter of seconds. About a year later I won a Clearview at the rally and swore it was the jam in the jelly. I bought the tall with a vent. Granted a tall doesn't complement the curves of the F6 but it had great coverage! Well after this steaming spring I decided to go back to the baggershield. Sorry, but the lower shield just looks much better on the bike and the little extra air helps too. Will I go back to the Clearview, who knows? One thing for sure, I won't buy that ugly Madstad!

Several of you know I been interested in Darksiding. My current Stone got a screw in it about 2 months ago and I plugged it, it saw almost 14k miles. So one of the Gold Wing shops in the area had a CT on a spare GW rim. He said I could drive it for two weeks to determine if CT was what I liked. So I took him up on his free offer. Well it's been dang near 2 weeks and all I have to say is "Mikey likes it". Is it a little squirrely at low speeds in the parking lot? YES. Does it do corners? Yes, in fact I feel more sure footed with a CT then a MT. Overall for most the time including braking the grip of the rear tire is much better than the MT. I actually think the profile drops the rear end 1/2 inch. Which helps with my short legs! Don't laugh that's true for most of you! So I'll return to his shop and order a CT and have him mount it. He always uses dyno beads, then I'll be good to go. So if your on the fence about CT's or "Darksiding" I think for my driving here in Florida they will outlast anything I've had before. All this mumbo jumbo about cornering is a myth! "darth/vader2'

Davidk
06-16-2016, 10:48 AM
I borrowed a wheel and CT from Shooter and test rode it for a week as you did. The tire was a G-Max. While I didn't like that tire--harder to lean and quicker to rise--I determined that a CT would not impair my turns even at low speed. I purchased a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP and its great. Rides just like at bike tire. I can not tell the difference. I suspect the run flat design is what made the difference.

pilotguy299
06-16-2016, 11:00 AM
consider Ride-On instead of dynabeads. A lot of the posts I've read of people who use it is very positive. And it takes care of small punctures.

bob109
06-16-2016, 11:12 AM
Once bitten by the "Dark Side Bug" there's no going back:shhh:

Fla_rider
06-16-2016, 12:38 PM
Once bitten by the "Dark Side Bug" there's no going back:shhh:

Mums da word Bob!

Fla_rider
06-16-2016, 12:40 PM
consider Ride-On instead of dynabeads. A lot of the posts I've read of people who use it is very positive. And it takes care of small punctures.

I used ride on in my last bike and know it works well, but i prefer the beads because i use FOBO TPMS valve covers and I'm worried the slime might clog them.

Steve 0080
06-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Another convert !!!!! Now you will be faster in the curves !!!!!!!

Fla_rider
06-16-2016, 01:02 PM
I borrowed a wheel and CT from Shooter and test rode it for a week as you did. The tire was a G-Max. While I didn't like that tire--harder to lean and quicker to rise--I determined that a CT would not impair my turns even at low speed. I purchased a Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP and its great. Rides just like at bike tire. I can not tell the difference. I suspect the run flat design is what made the difference.

David- Tire Rack has the Alpins for $153 Simple Tire has them for $209. So we all know Alpine is discontinued what's next?

Davidk
06-16-2016, 01:57 PM
David- Tire Rack has the Alpins for $153 Simple Tire has them for $209. So we all know Alpine is discontinued what's next?

When I was buying Tire Rack did not have them. Simple tire did not come up in my search, but 1010tire did and thats where i purchased it from. What's next? Don't know. I hopefully have about 30,000 miles left to figure that out

Steve 0080
06-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Go to the DS thread... I installed a Dunlop RF CT ...250 miles and I like it !!!!! $150 ?

shooter
06-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Michelin has other ZP tires. With symmetrical tread. Its the same carcass as the Alpin. That's where I'll go.

F6B1911
06-17-2016, 12:51 PM
This is a two part story - the first part is about my windshield and the second is about "Darksiding".
.............. Will I go back to the Clearview, who knows? One thing for sure, I won't buy that ugly Madstad!

Yeah, when I first saw the Madstad, I wondered what they were thinking when they designed it.
Another member here put his up for sale for a great price, so I grabbed it.
The 11" dark Madstad on a black F6B grows on you, after a while it looks "bad ass."
... Not to mention the countless compliments you get from everyone including some HD owners.
Anyway, I don't think I would ever give up the Madstad now, the wind management is far superior to any other shield I plunked down cash for.

Wing'n it
06-17-2016, 01:00 PM
Yeah, when I first saw the Madstad, I wondered what they were thinking when they designed it.
Another member here put his up for sale for a great price, so I grabbed it.
The 11" dark Madstad on a black F6B grows on you, after a while it looks "bad ass."
... Not to mention the countless compliments you get from everyone including some HD owners.
Anyway, I don't think I would ever give up the Madstad now, the wind management is far superior to any other shield I plunked down cash for.

Best money I ever spent for a windshield system. I have two "fronts" for mine, an 11 inch for hot weather and a 15 inch for cooler weather.