PDA

View Full Version : Rivco LED-115 LED Headlights

SPGrenier
06-17-2016, 02:06 PM
Last summer I added the SoCal LED turn signals. They provided a nice bright white driving light to improve visibility. http://www.socalmotogear.com/GL1800-Turn-Signal-Lens-LED-Kit-p/g18tck.htm

It's a great product, but they made the stock headlight bulbs look brown as you can clearly see in the first picture. You can also see a comparison of the new LED vs the stock lamps.

Last year, at Americade in Lake George NY, Rivco was promoting an LED headlight bulb but didn't have one to fit the Goldwing/F6B at that time. Well, now they do. I picked up a set for the low beams and have another set on back order for the high beams.
http://rivcoproducts.com/shop-by-motorcycle/honda/honda-gl1800-goldwing/led-replacement-headlights-for-the-honda-gl1800-f6b-low-beam.html

The second and third picture show the Rivco lights installed. As a not, the flood lights are the Honda OEMs.

The fourth picture shows the light pattern of the stock low beam headlights against the garage door from about 25 feet out.

The fifth picture shows the new Rivco LEDs from the same distance.

The install was a bit tricky as I hadn't taken the dash board / center console out before. It is certainly a DIY if you have any basic mechanical skills.

After taking a ride on some dark back roads this morning, I'd say that I am happy with them. The light beams not as pronounced as the stock bulb, but they do put out quite a bit of light.

Turning the stock high beams on, still project out further as expected. With these LED bulbs in the high beam sockets as well, I'd say that I'd be good to go.

pilotguy299
06-17-2016, 02:29 PM
looks nice.

Hornblower
06-17-2016, 03:24 PM
The fourth picture shows the light pattern of the stock low beam headlights against the garage door from about 25 feet out.

The fifth picture shows the new Rivco LEDs from the same distance.

The loss of a definitive cut-off is pretty typical for both HID and LED replacement bulbs. In my own case, beam pattern control was the worst with HID's and acceptable with LED's. Your color match with the turn signal switchbacks looks pretty good too.

I have a couple of questions for you...first, was a spacer supplied in the kit so that the retaining spring could properly secure the bulb? And second, do you use the stock rubber boot to seal the opening?

SPGrenier
06-17-2016, 05:01 PM
The loss of a definitive cut-off is pretty typical for both HID and LED replacement bulbs. In my own case, beam pattern control was the worst with HID's and acceptable with LED's. Your color match with the turn signal switchbacks looks pretty good too.

I have a couple of questions for you...first, was a spacer supplied in the kit so that the retaining spring could properly secure the bulb? And second, do you use the stock rubber boot to seal the opening?

If you look at the product page on Rivco's wesite, you can see that the bulb actually has a small fan at it's base. The bulb and fan unit are all one piece. The factory bulb adapter is re-used basically as a connector.

You can see in the instructions that the connector at Picture 3B goes into the OEM adapter which then plugs into the bike's power. http://rivcoproducts.com/instructions/download/LED-115_Install%20Instruct_3-16.pdf

The wire retainer is removed in the install and replaced by a spring clip that holds the unit in place. You can see it in 4A of the instructions. I will say that I did bend that spring clip a bit more to create a little more tension. I'm not sure I had to but it didn't hurt anything.

You can also see that the rubber boot is use to seal this unit into the head light fixture. See 3A

Hornblower
06-17-2016, 05:21 PM
From what I see there, it appears the stock retaining spring is replaced by a different spring but you do get to re-use the stock rubber sealing boot. Do I have that about right? If so, I would say Rivco has really thought through this and supplied all the necessary parts to make it work properly. If the claim of 3600 lumens is accurate, light output down-the-road should be more than adequate. Due to the vague cut-off, you may need to lower the beam to keep oncoming traffic from flashing their lights at you.

SPGrenier
06-17-2016, 11:18 PM
From what I see there, it appears the stock retaining spring is replaced by a different spring but you do get to re-use the stock rubber sealing boot. Do I have that about right? If so, I would say Rivco has really thought through this and supplied all the necessary parts to make it work properly. If the claim of 3600 lumens is accurate, light output down-the-road should be more than adequate. Due to the vague cut-off, you may need to lower the beam to keep oncoming traffic from flashing their lights at you.

Yes you have it right. You re-use the rubber boot and the bulb adapter.

The stock retaining wire is removed and is replaced by that metal strip which provides the spring tension on the outside of the rubber boot. The stock wire/spring is under the rubber boot and wouldn't work in this application.

i just came back from a motorcycle rally in Laconia NH. The lighted road area is just fine and I didn't get anyone flashing their high beams at me.

Vondawg
06-18-2016, 12:16 PM
And so they don't have a high beam set yet ?

Edit: should have read on....seems these are for both hi and low

Flat6addict
06-18-2016, 12:16 PM
Socal Motogear has high and low beam LEDs in. No fan at the base, but a passive heat sink. Install is pretty straightforward unless you drop the adapter ring down into the fairing. I installed hi/low beams and the fog light/turn signals.

Way brighter than stock- and the high beams...well, Lets just say you can't use them in traffic.

53driver
06-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Even in daylight the SoCal high beams are really freaking bright.

Vondawg
06-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Any fan noise detectable thru the audio system....in say am radio listening? This is the first I've heard of fans over the heat sinks as flat6addict noted...sounds like a good idea but then maybe something to eventually fail before the LEDs :shrug:

SPGrenier
06-20-2016, 09:01 AM
And so they don't have a high beam set yet ?

Edit: should have read on....seems these are for both hi and low

No problem. Our F6Bs have four H7 bulbs. These Rivco replacements are the same for high and low.

The install instructions that they provide are for the low beam. From what I'm gathering, they don't have a separate install set for the high beams. The only difference would be gaining access to the high beam locations, cubby removal and such.

From their product page:
Note: These bulbs fit high and low beams. Included are the detailed instructions for the low beams. High beam installation is more difficult with these bulbs - consult your service manual

SPGrenier
06-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Socal Motogear has high and low beam LEDs in. No fan at the base, but a passive heat sink. Install is pretty straightforward unless you drop the adapter ring down into the fairing. I installed hi/low beams and the fog light/turn signals.

Way brighter than stock- and the high beams...well, Lets just say you can't use them in traffic.

I love the SoCal turn signal replacements. What a great product. Extra driving lights, which can't hurt, and amber turn signals when needed.

Precautions abound when doing any work inside the fairing. When I had to install the new spring clips, I put a long piece of masking tape on it to help hold it in place under the phillips screw until I could tighten it down.

I did manage to drop one of the 10mm bolts down into the abyss when lifting the gauge cluster. Fortunately I had a spare in a parts bag from my VTX days.

SPGrenier
06-20-2016, 09:13 AM

Even in daylight the SoCal high beams are really freaking bright.

They are bright for sure. I was following a co-worker after work the other night. When I pulled into my driveway, she sent me a text telling me that she was being followed by a lighthouse. Suggested that if one of our coastal lighthouses went down, that the F6B could be a temporary replacement. Can't wait for the high beams to come in.

So far, no-one has tapped their high beams at me on the road for the low beams.

SPGrenier
06-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Any fan noise detectable thru the audio system....in say am radio listening? This is the first I've heard of fans over the heat sinks as flat6addict noted...sounds like a good idea but then maybe something to eventually fail before the LEDs :shrug:

I don't typically listen to AM, but I went down to the garage to give it a try. I am not picking up any kind off interference or whining through the radio.

They provides the following: "RIVCO's 2 year warranty, and are 20,000 hour lifetime rated" I would hope to get more than 2 years out of them. 20,000 hours is a long time.

Forget about the 20,000 hours. If I were the drive the bike an average of 6 hours a day for 365 days a year, That would get me well into the 9+ year range. What a nice life that would be. Since I'm a New Englander and have maybe an 8 or 9 month riding season and, oh yeah.........a job, I'd say that I should be good on that score.

SPGrenier
06-20-2016, 09:49 AM
One of the great things about this forum, like the VTXOA that I used to frequent, is that we get to share our experiences. We share to learn about new things and to avoid someone making the mistakes that we've made ourselves. Hopefully, we have great experiences with that mindset and ultimately build our bikes to fit us without throwing good money away.

This thread is not meant to put any other product down but to bring a discussion to something that hasn't been posted before. My search showed nothing on this product. I looked before I considered a purchase. So if I'm the guinea pig; I'm ok with that.

I saw these lights on other model motorcycles at Americade in Lake George, NY in 2015. Americade sponsors a night time motorcycle parade where you get quite the light show of bikes decked out with colorful LEDs and such, and then the bikes are voted on. Seeing these headlights coming down the road certainly got my attention. I remember joking about someone trying to land an aircraft in the middle of the parade.

Since theses weren't available for our bikes at the time, I kept checking the website for availability; even calling them from time to time on the status. Obviously, there is a huge Goldwing market out there.

So like many threads, I just hope to share my experiences with a new product.

JGF6B
06-20-2016, 11:35 AM
One of the great things about this forum, like the VTXOA that I used to frequent, is that we get to share our experiences. We share to learn about new things and to avoid someone making the mistakes that we've made ourselves. Hopefully, we have great experiences with that mindset and ultimately build our bikes to fit us without throwing good money away.

This thread is not meant to put any other product down but to bring a discussion to something that hasn't been posted before. My search showed nothing on this product. I looked before I considered a purchase. So if I'm the guinea pig; I'm ok with that.

I saw these lights on other model motorcycles at Americade in Lake George, NY in 2015. Americade sponsors a night time motorcycle parade where you get quite the light show of bikes decked out with colorful LEDs and such, and then the bikes are voted on. Seeing these headlights coming down the road certainly got my attention. I remember joking about someone trying to land an aircraft in the middle of the parade.

Since theses weren't available for our bikes at the time, I kept checking the website for availability; even calling them from time to time on the status. Obviously, there is a huge Goldwing market out there.

So like many threads, I just hope to share my experiences with a new product.

I appreciate this thread and I will continue to monitor it until I get around to upgrading my lights.

Vondawg
06-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Thank you SPGrenier...you have achieved just what you set out to do and I thank you for the info as I'm really interested in these LEDs

SPGrenier
06-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Thank you SPGrenier...you have achieved just what you set out to do and I thank you for the info as I'm really interested in these LEDs

I'm just waiting on a second set to install in the high beams.

thunder217
06-27-2016, 11:02 PM
Ordered mine they are on backorder until July. :yikes:

SPGrenier
07-11-2016, 03:40 PM
I ordered an additional pair of LED-115 bulbs to replace my high beam bulbs.

Well, they came in today after being on back-order for almost 4 weeks. Glad to have them.

However, the new set has been redesigned vs the original set. The original LED-115s that I installed have small cooling fans to manage the heat of the lamps.

The newly designed lamps now have 4 strands of metal mesh coming off the bulb assembly to help dissipate the heat. See the photo. This now resembles other manufacturer's LED replacements.

I called to inquire and they simply stated that it was simply redesigned. The rep suggested that there was no real difference in either version's method of heat distribution The light output and color are the same with both versions so I'm not concerned with that. I asked if he would recommend the fan version in the low beams vs the metal mesh or vice versa since the lows are on constantly. He suggested that it wouldn't matter.

I think that once I get back in there, I may consider moving the fan units from the low to the high beams. The fan units installation was a little more involved. So, I think that I may prefer to have the new ones in the low beam location because any future replacement may be less involved. Just a thought at this point.

98valk
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
I ordered an additional pair of LED-115 bulbs to replace my high beam bulbs.

Well, they came in today after being on back-order for almost 4 weeks. Glad to have them.

However, the new set has been redesigned vs the original set. The original LED-115s that I installed have small cooling fans to manage the heat of the lamps.

The newly designed lamps now have 4 strands of metal mesh coming off the bulb assembly to help dissipate the heat. See the photo. This now resembles other manufacturer's LED replacements.

I called to inquire and they simply stated that it was simply redesigned. The rep suggested that there was no real difference in either version's method of heat distribution The light output and color are the same with both versions so I'm not concerned with that. I asked if he would recommend the fan version in the low beams vs the metal mesh or vice versa since the lows are on constantly. He suggested that it wouldn't matter.

I think that once I get back in there, I may consider moving the fan units from the low to the high beams. The fan units installation was a little more involved. So, I think that I may prefer to have the new ones in the low beam location because any future replacement may be less involved. Just a thought at this point.

I second your decision to put the fans in the high beam locations (assuming the same lumen output). The copper braid has no moving parts to go bad.

I have a set in my low beams with the copper braid. I would not purchase an led assembly relying on a fan for cooling. But since you already have them .... Don't forget to spread out the braids.

SPGrenier
07-12-2016, 05:11 AM
I second your decision to put the fans in the high beam locations (assuming the same lumen output). The copper braid has no moving parts to go bad.

I have a set in my low beams with the copper braid. I would not purchase an led assembly relying on a fan for cooling. But since you already have them .... Don't forget to spread out the braids.

Yes, the lumen output is 3600 for the new and the old. Although I've only had these LEDs in for a short time, I am quite happy with them. The fans aren't presenting any issues.

stevenolts
07-12-2016, 06:31 AM
If these are so much brighter how come no one flashes you?
I have had my high beams on a few times on the F6B and I got flashed almost immediately.

On my Harley Fatboy I ran the high beams all the time and no one ever flashed me.
Steve

SPGrenier
07-20-2016, 03:10 PM
If these are so much brighter how come no one flashes you?
I have had my high beams on a few times on the F6B and I got flashed almost immediately.

On my Harley Fatboy I ran the high beams all the time and no one ever flashed me.
Steve

I have yet to install the LED high beams. If I'm running the LED highs, I'm sure it'll get people's attention. Yes Brighter than stock and definitely whiter

SPGrenier
03-26-2017, 07:28 PM
As originally posted, the Rivco LED-115 headlights came with fan units. I've not been on the site for some time but I thought that I'd give everyone a follow up on my experiences with these lights.

When first installed, I found them to be excellent. Brightness, color and road illumination were what I had hoped for. Last fall, I had a failure in one of them. Putting the bike up for the winter; i didn't give it a whole lot of attention. Here's what was going on. On one of the lamps, I started to see a flutter in the light when the ignition key was turned on. After the light was on for a bit, the flutter stopped. That same lamp developed a yellowish tint. Clearly non white compared to the other lamp.

In addition, the fans on both lamps could now be heard while the bike was at idle.

I had purchased a second set of lights which were intended for the high beams. These had the same part number but had no fans (pictured earlier in this thread. Because of the lateness of the last season, I never put the second set in.

So, I have just removed the original fan units and replaced them with the second set intended for my high beams. They look great.

The original fan units were returned for warranty consideration. I am expecting Rivco to send me a replacement set like what I have on the bike now.

I'll keep you posted.

SPGrenier
03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
Well, here it is April 1st. Yesterday I received a mail confirmation that a package was being sent to me from Rivco. That can only mean that they have agreed that the original Led lights with the fan units were indeed covered under the warrantee. That's great news. Thank you Rivco for your timely service on the replacement.

I only wish that I had them on hand today since I'm in the onset of possibly 10 inches of snow up here in NH. Would have been a good time to tinker with the bike. Maybe I'll take the panels out and such to have the high beam lights removed for the quick install of the new LEDs.

Hopefully with some warm weather next week, I can get the bike out for a night ride to check out the new lights. I'll let you know. I'll take new pics.

Delta
03-31-2017, 02:54 PM
.......Maybe I'll take the panels out and such to have the high beam lights removed for the quick install of the new LEDs.

If the high beams are a quick install, let me know your secret. When I did mine, all 4, it was at least a 4 hour ordeal. The high beam placement gave me a lot of grief. While I had everything exposed I also installed the Kisan modulator.

SPGrenier
04-24-2017, 10:40 AM
.......Maybe I'll take the panels out and such to have the high beam lights removed for the quick install of the new LEDs.

If the high beams are a quick install, let me know your secret. When I did mine, all 4, it was at least a 4 hour ordeal. The high beam placement gave me a lot of grief. While I had everything exposed I also installed the Kisan modulator.

Well the install finally got done. I took what I thought were adequate precautions but one of the mounting plates that goes under the bulb retention clip fell into the black hole of the inner fairing. The work to retrieve it wasn't going to happen. OMG.

I called Rivco to see if they had a solution and they found a replacement part and sent it to me for free. What a life saver they were with that move. I have to say that Rivco has been fantastic through this whole process.

The left high beam was certainly the most difficult. My paws just couldn't get in there to push and turn the LED lamp to lock it in. After many attempts and having run through my entire cussing vocabulary, my girlfriend stuck her hand in there and locked it in without a problem. Amen! It was a bit of an ordeal.

Knowing what I know now, I would have tucked some rags in the spaces beneath the high beams to prevent lost parts. Live and learn.

For some reason, I am not able to upload a photo.