PDA

View Full Version : general seat question

RickJ
06-17-2016, 10:24 PM
I am moderately satisfied with the stock seat for my local driving (30-50 miles). I recently took an 1800 mile trip and needed an air pad to make it bearable. Frankly after a while my n*tsack sticks to me, rear gets sore, probably from a combination of 69 year old butt and no ventilation! Anyway, I like the look of the Ultimate seat and have read as much as I can find about it...including a recent 8 page thread. My question is, is my expectation that this would take away my NEED for the airpad (https://www.rei.com/product/845302/rei-sit-pad?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8453020001&CAWELAID=120217890000776254&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=30320809120&CATCI=pla-66378680026&lsft=) or is it just a bit better than stock? I know this is very subjective, however people RAVE about the seat but could it be THAT different from stock over long distances (say 400 mile days)?In fact could ANY seat be THAT different? Maybe some of you are familiar with the airhawk...would an ultimate seat be as good as that? The air cushion seems to prevent monkeybutt...is the foam so different from stock on the ultimate (or any other aftermarket seat? I also notice that products get waves of interest here...so is my timing such that I am in an Ultimate "wave" or does the comfort surpass corbin, mustang etc.? FWIW I weigh about 180 and am 5"8" or so...

Richie
06-17-2016, 11:09 PM
I just got a Hartco seat, and love it. We may meet at one of the north east rides and you can see then.

My butt is 73

Richie

Dfinkelsteinmd
06-18-2016, 02:37 AM
I have a 65 year old but that did not like the Mustang seat so I bought a Saddleman that feels firm but rides well for a couple of hours at a time. After that the 65 year old legs need to get off and find a watering hole anyway...

Vondawg
06-18-2016, 05:15 AM
And not mentioned much (or just understood) in the long rides/seat discussion....never wear normal underwear, not enough can be said for a good pair of riding shorts for long distance rides.

willtill
06-18-2016, 06:06 AM
The ultimate seat is a good seat. It is much more comfortable over long distances than the stock seat. I've only did a 220 mile trip with it so far but I didn't get the same excruciating burning sensation from the pressure exerted on my two Ischium bones; as I have experienced with the stock OEM seat.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-18-2016, 07:06 AM
I have tried 3 different Ultimate seats on two different Motorcycles ( Valk & F6B) and although their seat was not for me I would say it will be cooler than your stock. One issue some have with the Ultimate is the seat is NOT waterproof. Well if a seat is waterproof how can air get through to keep your butt cooler. That should be a big plus for you right there.

taxfree4
06-18-2016, 09:19 AM
I have used the Beadrider with the stock seat on long distance and cross country rides and have had no problems riding all day. I also have the Airhawk Seat Cushion but find I use the Beadrider more.

RickJ
06-18-2016, 09:27 AM
I have used the Beadrider with the stock seat on long distance and cross country rides and have had no problems riding all day. I also have the Airhawk Seat Cushion but find I use the Beadrider more.

That is kinda what I'm wondering...if seat "aids" are just as much an improvement, at the end of the day, as a new $650 seat.

Having said that...my vanity might still steer me to a new seat bec ause air pads and beads don't look as "cool" ...and yes, I am almost ashamed to admit that my ride is about the ride, my comfort, and how the whole package looks.

53driver
06-18-2016, 10:17 AM
That is kinda what I'm wondering...if seat "aids" are just as much an improvement, at the end of the day, as a new $650 seat.

Having said that...my vanity might still steer me to a new seat because air pads and beads don't look as "cool" ...and yes, I am almost ashamed to admit that my ride is about the ride, my comfort, and how the whole package looks.

Rick - nothing to be ashamed of! Quite honestly, your best bet is to find a place where a bunch of F6Bs gather and that are all configured with different options and then sit and try.
The North East Meet & Greet Group is a good start. There's definitely some variation there.
Also the rally Sep 20-24 in Russellville AK, there's going to be at least 50 F6Bs online.

Ultimate - couple of styles, Russell Day Long - custom to you, Corbin 2 styles, Mustang at least 2, Hartco - custom, Mean City Custom seats - modifies your stocker.
Plus some others I'm sure I've forgotten. It's a veritable smorgasbord for your tush.

Some of them are at the Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
Not sure what "big bike rally" is up in your neck of the country.

As we age (I'm only 53 - but it's not the years, it's the mileage) I find that if all the parts from waist to knee are comfortable, then the ride is awesome.
And yes, if you're going to change it, it might as well have a cool factor of "10."

Cheers,
Steve

shooter
06-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Don't show him my seat. Anybody else buys a "Shooter Special" it ain't gonna be special anymore. :joke:

shooter
06-18-2016, 03:09 PM
Rick , you're right. Those add ons ain't cool. I can recommend the Ultimate. Others on here can tell you more about other brands.

willtill
06-18-2016, 03:11 PM

I've done the Beadrider as well, on my past DL650. As unorthodox as it sounds, it works really well

100,000 taxi cab drivers in NYC can't be wrong. :icon_biggrin:

Hornblower
06-18-2016, 03:15 PM
As we age (I'm only 53 - but it's not the years, it's the mileage) I find that if all the parts from waist to knee are comfortable, then the ride is awesome.
Cheers,
Steve

Hey, Steve--This must be a special year for you...a 53 driver and you're 53. What about that? I think I see the stars aligning.

Sorcerer
06-18-2016, 03:19 PM
61years. I have/ had the stock seat. I use a short nap sheep skin with Daluth buck naked under ware. 690-790 mile days. Bladder won't let me run fuel stop to fuel stop any more.

53driver
06-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Hey, Steve--This must be a special year for you...a 53 driver and you're 53. What about that? I think I see the stars aligning.

Yes Ken, 'tis a special year. I really miss flying those girls!

RickJ
06-18-2016, 05:42 PM
Rick - nothing to be ashamed of! Quite honestly, your best bet is to find a place where a bunch of F6Bs gather and that are all configured with different options and then sit and try.
The North East Meet & Greet Group is a good start. There's definitely some variation there.
Also the rally Sep 20-24 in Russellville AK, there's going to be at least 50 F6Bs online.

Ultimate - couple of styles, Russell Day Long - custom to you, Corbin 2 styles, Mustang at least 2, Hartco - custom, Mean City Custom seats - modifies your stocker.
Plus some others I'm sure I've forgotten. It's a veritable smorgasbord for your tush.

Some of them are at the Daytona Bike Week and Biketoberfest.
Not sure what "big bike rally" is up in your neck of the country.

And yes, if you're going to change it, it might as well have a cool factor of "10."

Cheers,
Steve

Steve,
As a matter of fact I was going to go to Americade (I'm only a few hours southwest of Lake George...Ultimate Seats was the ONLY reason. Unfortunately (well, actually fortunately in a way) My son and I were Heading to Ashville NC during Americade. I might try Russellville...or (more likely) I'll just try the seat!

seadog
06-18-2016, 05:50 PM
Is the AirHawk R, I added it to the stock seat before changing the seat entirely and it was a definite help to give me a couple hundred extra miles without causing any problems.

taxfree4
06-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Having said that...my vanity might still steer me to a new seat bec ause air pads and beads don't look as "cool" ...and yes, I am almost ashamed to admit that my ride is about the ride, my comfort, and how the whole package looks.

That took a lot of guts to say that, you have just identified the Harley Conundrum Syndrome, of which I am a survivor. If you need a "Function Over Form" intervention I'm here.

taxfree4
06-19-2016, 04:11 AM
I've done the Beadrider as well, on my past DL650. As unorthodox as it sounds, it works really well

100,000 taxi cab drivers in NYC can't be wrong. :icon_biggrin:

"I wouldn't drive my taxi anywhere w/o my Beadrider"

RickJ
06-19-2016, 06:27 AM
That took a lot of guts to say that, you have just identified the Harley Conundrum Syndrome, of which I am a survivor. If you need a "Function Over Form" intervention I'm here.

HA! Thanks. Not there yet.I do believe, though, that the appeal of some things is the whole package...I can live with some give and take among form, function and cost! For example, my rivco pegs sacrifice PERFECT location and TOTAL ease of accessability (sometimes hard to flip them out) to maintain, to me, a sleekness and simplicity I wanted to the bike- they work fine though. On the other hand, my ram mount stuffkills some of my clean lines, for when I need the necessary drink or nav...any way. MY NAME IS RICK AND I'M A FORMAHOLIC!

Wing'n it
06-19-2016, 07:03 AM
I did a 460 mile ride yesterday and I ride on a Corbin seat and use a gel Propad for a slight lift. About 300 miles in that pad was hot to the touch and I had to take it off the bike. I have been looking into the Beadrider pad and after reading this i'm leaning that way a little more.

MotoMike
06-19-2016, 03:45 PM
I too am in this for the comfort ride. Couldn't give two sheets what onlookers think. I bought this machine for me, not them. The stock seat is def not working for me. It starts killing me at about 50 miles, Bicycle riding shorts under the Wranglers helps but I need to invest in a good long rider seat. Question, if I call Ultimate up and ask for the 'Shooter Special', they will know EXACTLY what I want, right? That seat is too cool looking. From my point of view of course.

taxfree4
06-19-2016, 05:52 PM
HA! Thanks. Not there yet.I do believe, though, that the appeal of some things is the whole package...I can live with some give and take among form, function and cost! For example, my rivco pegs sacrifice PERFECT location and TOTAL ease of accessability (sometimes hard to flip them out) to maintain, to me, a sleekness and simplicity I wanted to the bike- they work fine though. On the other hand, my ram mount stuffkills some of my clean lines, for when I need the necessary drink or nav...any way. MY NAME IS RICK AND I'M A FORMAHOLIC!

The first step to getting better is to admit you have a problem. :icon_evil:

shooter
06-19-2016, 10:33 PM
I too am in this for the comfort ride. Couldn't give two sheets what onlookers think. I bought this machine for me, not them. The stock seat is def not working for me. It starts killing me at about 50 miles, Bicycle riding shorts under the Wranglers helps but I need to invest in a good long rider seat. Question, if I call Ultimate up and ask for the 'Shooter Special', they will know EXACTLY what I want, right? That seat is too cool looking. From my point of view of course.

Mike ask for Libby. Very nice lady. She will know what you're talking about. Mike unless you're under 6 ft you will want a King. The midrider really pushes you forward. For me at least , the King is the same reach to the bars as stock.

willtill
06-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Mike ask for Libby. Very nice lady. She will know what you're talking about. Mike unless you're under 6 ft you will want a King. The midrider really pushes you forward. For me at least , the King is the same reach to the bars as stock.

Not true in all cases. You have to test fit if you are not sure. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam and fit in the King seat comfortably.

The only perceptible change (other than the increased comfort) is that I no longer can flat foot the bike while sitting. I am now touching the ground with the balls of my feet. But that is of no concern to me.

(The ball of the foot is the padded portion of the sole between the toes and the arch, underneath the heads of the metatarsal bones, on which the weight of the body rests when the heel is raised)

RickJ
06-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Not true in all cases. You have to test fit if you are not sure. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam and fit in the King seat comfortably.

The only perceptible change (other than the increased comfort) is that I no longer can flat foot the bike while sitting. I am now touching the ground with the balls of my feet. But that is of no concern to me.

(The ball of the foot is the padded portion of the sole between the toes and the arch, underneath the heads of the metatarsal bones, on which the weight of the body rests when the heel is raised)

well, that screws me up! LOL I was convinced that my 5' 8.5" height and 31.5" inseam (measure from crotch to floor, not length of good fitting pants) made the mid-rider a no brainer.;..Is the fit of the seat such that your arms are slightly bent even when you sit back against the back of the seat? Do you think that your more aggressive riding style makes the king a better fit for you??

willtill
06-20-2016, 09:31 AM
well, that screws me up! LOL I was convinced that my 5' 8.5" height and 31.5" inseam (measure from crotch to floor, not length of good fitting pants) made the mid-rider a no brainer.;..Is the fit of the seat such that your arms are slightly bent even when you sit back against the back of the seat? Do you think that your more aggressive riding style makes the king a better fit for you??

Yes, I can push the rear of my posterior to the back of the driver's seat; and still maintain a good bend in my elbows. And since the seat is sitting me slightly higher; I feel to have better control of the bike during maneuvering left or right.

I wanted 'room" in the saddle; the Ultimate Midrider was not going to give me that. I also did not want to increase the bend in my hips and knee's; the Midrider was going to do that by pushing me forward.

I'm also on vacation now... so I have a lot of idle time before we jet out Wednesday. I'll snap a pic of myself on my bike; so you can get a good visual of how the Ultimate King seat accommodates me.

JGF6B
06-20-2016, 10:08 AM

I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I did not like the mid rider position. I felt it pushed me too far forward.
I do like to scoot forward on my stock seat when riding aggressively in twisties but I don't want to be locked into that position. I also like to slide back and stretch out when cruising; the mid rider took that position away from me. I could not fully extend my legs on my ergo 3's while on the mid rider.

I'm hoping to try a Corbin before I decide but I wouldn't hesitate to order an Ultimate King based on my experience with the mid-rider.

MotoMike
06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
5'11" with 31" inseam. I should be good with the King, right? Thing that kind of sucks now is I already have a mid height clearview with recurve and I was thinking its still not the height I need for clean air. Since the king brings you up a little I may be more inclined to get a different shield. Knew I should have read the part in the forums about getting your seat squared away before you spend money on a shield. Dayammit.

53driver
06-20-2016, 11:17 AM
5'11" with 31" inseam. I should be good with the King, right? Thing that kind of sucks now is I already have a mid height clearview with recurve and I was thinking its still not the height I need for clean air. Since the king brings you up a little I may be more inclined to get a different shield. Knew I should have read the part in the forums about getting your seat squared away before you spend money on a shield. Dayammit.

I try and I try.....lol.

We tend to take care of the nearest alligator to our faces - for most that's the windscreen.
With unlimited resources, the seat/pegs/windscreen/helibars would all be taken care of at one place at one time with one check with money we wouldn't even miss.
However, that's not the world most of us live in......

So, we do the best we can with what we've got.
Carry on!

ReserveBum
06-20-2016, 03:52 PM
I am 5'10" w/ a 30" inseam and have the Mid Rider. It pushes forward 1/2" to 1". Seat height is the same as stock for me. Width of the seat is also similar to stock. It took a few rides o get used to it....but I am good with it.

MotoMike
06-20-2016, 09:01 PM
I try and I try.....lol.

We tend to take care of the nearest alligator to our faces - for most that's the windscreen.
With unlimited resources, the seat/pegs/windscreen/helibars would all be taken care of at one place at one time with one check with money we wouldn't even miss.
However, that's not the world most of us live in......

So, we do the best we can with what we've got.
Carry on!

Good copy on that Steve, that's definitely not the world I live in, even if the wife claims I think it is! I will admit that I tend to be impulsive sometimes with my purchases, and I have a growing stack of parts in the garage to prove it. I promise to try and get better ( and read more forum threads)

shooter
06-21-2016, 07:17 AM
I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and I did not like the mid rider position. I felt it pushed me too far forward.
I do like to scoot forward on my stock seat when riding aggressively in twisties but I don't want to be locked into that position. I also like to slide back and stretch out when cruising; the mid rider took that position away from me. I could not fully extend my legs on my ergo 3's while on the mid rider.

I'm hoping to try a Corbin before I decide but I wouldn't hesitate to order an Ultimate King based on my experience with the mid-rider.

JG , I'll tell you what I know about the Corbin. Considerably lower. At least an inch , I think more. Lot closer to the bars. DavidK had one that I sat on. I'm 6'1" , 32 inseam.

JGF6B
06-21-2016, 07:40 AM
JG , I'll tell you what I know about the Corbin. Considerably lower. At least an inch , I think more. Lot closer to the bars. DavidK had one that I sat on. I'm 6'1" , 32 inseam.

Thanks for the info.
I'm hoping to catch one of the north east rides and try all the seats. Here's hoping I can be patient until then......

shooter
06-21-2016, 07:49 AM
Yeah and if you've read my posts the King is really close to the stock seating position. Maybe 1/2 inch taller. I think its the same from the bars. At least for me.