PDA

View Full Version : Surviving hot weather riding

pdxstriper
06-19-2016, 01:13 AM
Hi,
I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days. I had 2 accessories that made riding in these somewhat difficult conditions very fun: 1) a CamelBack-style water container, and 2) a 'wet vest'.

The Camel Back water container is the backpack-style water bladder with a sipping tube. Every morning I would go over to the hotel ice machine, fill the water bladder with ice and top it off with water. As the day got hot, every 20 minutes or so I would pop free the bottom of my modular helmet and sip an ounce or two of ice cold water. Note that the effects of dehydration are subtle, and at my advancing age, it does sneak up to me. So the continual consumption of sips of water is better than, say, powering down a 12 oz bottle of water at a gas stop every 2-3 hours. There are a number of these available, I bought one at Dicks for around $50

The wet vest is frankly magic. You soak this vest in water, put it on under your breathable mesh jacket, then as you ride the water in the vest wicks off and cools you like air conditioning. Even in the hottest weather the vest stays wet and cools you for 3+ hours. This sucker really works. I bought mine at Cyclegear but there are other providers as well.

Thats's all I got - hope it helps.

Ixol Phaane
06-19-2016, 01:43 AM
Speaking as a career resident of Phoenix, Arizona, where current daytime temps are hovering around 115F, I'd say you've absolutely got the right ideas with the Camel Back and the Wet Vest. Hydration is essential, and a little bit at a time can definitely help. Better that than to go 2-3 hours between water stops as you say.
And using the wet vest to keep cool is also a great idea. I'm glad you mentioned both of these.

Stay safe and enjoy the ride!

wjduke
06-19-2016, 06:28 AM
When you live in a box like me, you don't even know this stuff existed!

pdxstriper
06-19-2016, 10:36 AM

wjduke,
Good one. this made me laugh out loud. ;)
pete

Pap
06-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Duke, all you need to keep is a rain suit!

shooter
06-19-2016, 12:42 PM

LMAO. You're a trip brother. More things to spend money on.

Davidk
06-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Can you us the name of the wet vest?

terryboyle
06-19-2016, 03:15 PM
drive a Goldwing F6B instead of an air cooled v-twin.

Az Wingrider
06-19-2016, 04:05 PM
I live in Phoenix and I also am a firm believer in hydration systems and cool vests. For those of you looking for a cool vest HyperKewl makes several different styles. I use the one with the mandarin collar because it provides some coolness next to your jugular vein which helps you feel cooler. The ones with vest type collar are not as effective. I also wear a jacket with a minimum of ventilation. I found if you wear a mesh jacket it drys out the cool vest too quickly.

I am a big fan of Camelbacks but I found I do not like wearing them. I just don't like the weight on my back. What I did is make a bracket that bolts to my right passenger foot peg and rear crash bar. The bracket holds a gallon insulated water jug. I then bought some 5/16 food grade vinyl tubing. One end of the tubing is fed into the water jug and I attach a Camelback bite valve to the other end of the tubing. A clip on the front of my jacket holds the tubing when I don't have the valve in my mouth. With this system I simply fill the jug with ice then water and put it in the bracket and I have water for two tanks of fuel or more. With this system the jug is positioned just behind my right leg and down low. Works great but only if you are riding one up. I got the idea for this system from the Iron Butt Association web site. This site is a great place for learning a great deal about long distance riding

Good luck and stay hydrated

stevenolts
06-19-2016, 05:30 PM

That is the most important comment!!! I was just thinking that the other day when I rode a few miles home after my soccer game in shorts. It is the first time I have felt the heat of the engine when not ripping it up. I thought I am so glad I am not sitting on my cylinder head with all the heat like when I had my HD Fatboy. It would actually leave burn marks from the heat on my thighs and was almost miserable to ride over 90 degrees.
Steve

wjduke
06-19-2016, 07:18 PM
LMAO. You're a trip brother. More things to spend money on.

We rarely get that kind of heat here...that's my excuse for ignorance! 70's today, day before first day of Summer....no real complaints.

wjduke
06-19-2016, 07:19 PM
wjduke,
Good one. this made me laugh out loud. ;)
pete

:yes:

wjduke
06-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Duke, all you need to keep is a rain suit!

:shhh: another meet date is coming up....

powercruzer13
06-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Guess I am lucky to be one of those people that actually likes warm weather riding. All my Valkyrie buddies marvel at my ability to ride in the Florida heat & humidity while they stay at home during our 9 month summer. :icon_twisted:
Seriously, hydration is the key and sun protection as I am personally finding out about, is important too.
Love summer riding but the wife aint so keen on it so I don't get out as much as I want to anymore. Damn menopause. :icon_mrgreen:
We did get about 120 miles in today two up on her F6B. She can handle the heat a bit better as a passenger. Only got to 88° today.

Wing'n it
06-19-2016, 08:22 PM
I also learned a valuable lesson about the heat this weekend,...SUNSCREEN! Sprayed it on nice and heavy but forgot my face and did not even think about my sleeves blowing up, yup i'm burnt.

Cool Hand Luke
06-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Has anyone tried this:

www.veskimo.com

I'm thinking about it.

shooter
06-19-2016, 09:51 PM
I've just got a couple things to say on the subject. If your middle aged or in questionable health and you live and work in the AC , you need to think real hard before you expose yourself to big time heat and humidity for long periods of time. My wife is fond of saying that she loves summer. She lives in an AC house , drives an AC car and works in an AC office. Last summer on a day they were forecasting 95°. She wanted to take a long ride for breakfast. 82° at 7am. On the way back it was in the 90s. The combination of heat and breakfast was too much. Eating will raise your body temp. She was sick the rest of the day. People that work in the heat know how to manage their body. People that don't may not. Its not just about hydration. It's knowing when to say when. I stood on a blast furnace for 10 years of my life. I learned a lot about heat management in that time. Learning about it on a long ride is no fun. Know your tolerance before you go.

shooter
06-19-2016, 09:55 PM
I also learned a valuable lesson about the heat this weekend,...SUNSCREEN! Sprayed it on nice and heavy but forgot my face and did not even think about my sleeves blowing up, yup i'm burnt.

A good mesh coat stops the sunburn. I think its cooler with the coat than without. No sun baking you. All mesh coat is pretty cool. It may be a little warmer when sitting in traffic.

pdxstriper
06-20-2016, 01:18 AM
Can you us the name of the wet vest?

Hi,
Below should be a link to the vest I own on the Cyclegear website. I just saw an ad that says its available for $39.
Imagine that, a sale from Cyclegear? Wow!

Pete

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

adventurous1
06-20-2016, 01:47 PM
Hi,
I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days.

Sounds like a FANTASTIC run!! The Canadian Rockies with the encapsulated glacier are quite breathtaking. Did similar run a few back on my liner, but looking to do it on the B. At my age (58) I've found it's much more enjoyable to stop about every hr anyway, for a few min and water. Makes a 500 mile day a tad more enjoyable.

Ixol Phaane
06-20-2016, 06:28 PM

Another beautiful day in Paradise. :yikes:

seadog
06-20-2016, 09:44 PM

Start thinking outside the box for heavens sake!

pdxstriper
06-21-2016, 01:33 AM
Sounds like a FANTASTIC run!! The Canadian Rockies with the encapsulated glacier are quite breathtaking. Did similar run a few back on my liner, but looking to do it on the B. At my age (58) I've found it's much more enjoyable to stop about every hr anyway, for a few min and water. Makes a 500 mile day a tad more enjoyable.

A memento from the ride: As you enter the Clearwater River in Idaho, you see a sign that warms the heart of any rider.

wjduke
06-21-2016, 04:29 AM
Start thinking outside the box for heavens sake!

I'm trying man, I'm trying....joining a forum is the first step!

BobR
06-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Guess I am lucky to be one of those people that actually likes warm weather riding. All my Valkyrie buddies marvel at my ability to ride in the Florida heat & humidity while they stay at home during our 9 month summer. :icon_twisted:
Seriously, hydration is the key and sun protection as I am personally finding out about, is important too.
Love summer riding but the wife aint so keen on it so I don't get out as much as I want to anymore. Damn menopause. :icon_mrgreen:
We did get about 120 miles in today two up on her F6B. She can handle the heat a bit better as a passenger. Only got to 88° today.

I don't love the heat but am not going to let it stop me from riding. I did 350 miles yesterday. Rode the back roads up to Valdosta and back. Lots of water and 70 SPF sunscreen.

Paul B Blues
06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Ain't never ever going to be an issue in Scotland, my only decision is just how many layers do I wear that day 'freezing-cold''cold'

edgeman55
06-21-2016, 11:55 AM

Nice to see it's cooling down a few degrees for you down there!

GaTeach
06-24-2016, 12:09 AM

All day long!

GaTeach
06-24-2016, 12:11 AM
I use a fishing shirt from bass pro. Soak it under the hosepipe at the gas station and I'm good to go.

bgd8rd
06-25-2016, 12:17 AM
I've just got a couple things to say on the subject. If your middle aged or in questionable health and you live and work in the AC , you need to think real hard before you expose yourself to big time heat and humidity for long periods of time. My wife is fond of saying that she loves summer. She lives in an AC house , drives an AC car and works in an AC office. Last summer on a day they were forecasting 95°. She wanted to take a long ride for breakfast. 82° at 7am. On the way back it was in the 90s. The combination of heat and breakfast was too much. Eating will raise your body temp. She was sick the rest of the day. People that work in the heat know how to manage their body. People that don't may not. Its not just about hydration. It's knowing when to say when. I stood on a blast furnace for 10 years of my life. I learned a lot about heat management in that time. Learning about it on a long ride is no fun. Know your tolerance before you go.

Gotta love Missouri summers. This one is starting out terribly. Could be another 2012 all over again. :-/

wjduke
06-25-2016, 05:33 AM

This reminded me of a visit to Houston to see my sister. We went to the Houston Zoo. It was about 93. She couldn't take it. Same as your wife shooter...lives and works in ac. I faired much better. No AC for me in my apartment, although I do work in it. I detest the cold and snow and will never complain about heat. I think I only saw two or three motorcycles on the road in the one week I was there....in July.

shooter
06-25-2016, 04:35 PM
Gotta love Missouri summers. This one is starting out terribly. Could be another 2012 all over again. :-/

You got that right. This has been the hottest June I can remember.

shooter
06-25-2016, 04:40 PM
This reminded me of a visit to Houston to see my sister. We went to the Houston Zoo. It was about 93. She couldn't take it. Same as your wife shooter...lives and works in ac. I faired much better. No AC for me in my apartment, although I do work in it. I detest the cold and snow and will never complain about heat. I think I only saw two or three motorcycles on the road in the one week I was there....in July.

Last two weeks we have had 5 days over 100° inside the shop by 3pm. Its pretty miserable from 3 to 5. At least we aren't out in the sun. There are hotter jobs out there for sure.

seadog
06-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Last two weeks we have had 5 days over 100° inside the shop by 3pm. Its pretty miserable from 3 to 5. At least we aren't out in the sun. There are hotter jobs out there for sure.

ROOFERS! got to have a hide like a lizard. Last job I would want on a 100 plus degree day.

wjduke
06-25-2016, 06:37 PM

We've been in the 70's and 80's. Inland here might hit 90 tomorrow. I'm near the ocean...natural AC, most of the time. I'll be inland tomorrow by 9am.

fxdl2051
07-30-2016, 09:29 AM
I started riding with mesh pants last year, that Really helped. A soaked bandanna around the neck evaporates a lot of heat from the blood vessels in your neck, keeps the head cool .

fxdl2051
07-30-2016, 09:31 AM

Must have left early, before it got hot.

GaTeach
07-30-2016, 09:42 AM
We've been in the 70's and 80's. Inland here might hit 90 tomorrow. I'm near the ocean...natural AC, most of the time. I'll be inland tomorrow by 9am.

HOTTER THAN THE GATES OF HELL!

GaTeach
07-30-2016, 09:48 AM

When my colleagues start bitching about work, I always tell them, "Someone is shoveling chicken sh** right now for less than minimum wage." Get it together.

There should be a book of Dr. Teach's quotes.

Cool Hand Luke
07-30-2016, 10:03 AM
I use a fishing shirt from bass pro. Soak it under the hosepipe at the gas station and I'm good to go.

New event at the next F6B Rally: Wet T-Shirt Contest :clap2:

Cool Hand Luke
07-30-2016, 10:08 AM
This works:

GaTeach
07-30-2016, 10:22 AM
New event at the next F6B Rally: Wet T-Shirt Contest :clap2:

Some of those guys have some pretty hefty man boobs. It could get ugly.

stroguy
07-30-2016, 11:14 AM
In this age of progressive thinking and equality should we not consider a wet skivvies contest? Maybe for charity?

willtill
07-30-2016, 12:26 PM
In this age of progressive thinking and equality should we not consider a wet skivvies contest? Maybe for charity?

:shock:

Cool Hand Luke
07-30-2016, 02:28 PM
Some of those guys have some pretty hefty man boobs. It could get ugly.

True. May need to do another rally during Halloween :077:

seadog
07-30-2016, 03:26 PM
The clouds swept in and kept the temps at bay, never got above 77 degrees when they were predicting 87 for the day. Rode from early morning to about 4:15 Pm and put on 200 miles stopping and seeing friend and relatives. All in all a very nice ride without 90 degree plus weather. Praise the sun god for staying behind the clouds..notworthy..notworthy.

MisterB
07-30-2016, 03:49 PM
For me, and of course YMMV, the only important number is humidity.
Riding in Utah with 100 degrees and 2% humidity was wonderful. The sweat evaporates as soon as it comes out and does its little cooling trick. Just had to make sure to keep drinking water.
In St Louis, any temperature over 76 with 80% or higher humidity and the evaporation stops along with the cooling effect.

I haven't traveled a lot in my life, but I finally figured out how powerful an effect humidity has after my second trip to Utah. The difference is amazing and I'm really looking to get the heck out of the Midwest before I get too old. Utah is the dream, wifey is open to change.

Out here, on the B, best bet to survive hot weather is put the stock windshield on during the summer months to get some evaporation. And, as always, seat beads!

DonDumas
07-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Has anyone on the east coast tried the cool vest? With the humidity I think it would work but how much?
I purchased a veskimo and used it in 2010 it worked but took a bag of ice at every fuel stop from Tampa to Atlanta.
After Atlanta the heat wasn't an issue for me, so I didn't use it.

shooter
07-30-2016, 05:31 PM
We finally got a break in middle east MO today. Mid eighties and lower humidity. My brother in law and I got up early and managed a couple hundred miles by 1:00 pm. Felt good.

GaTeach
07-30-2016, 10:31 PM
We finally got a break in middle east MO today. Mid eighties and lower humidity. My brother in law and I got up early and managed a couple hundred miles by 1:00 pm. Felt good.

That's hotter than the gates of hell according to the people in Maine.

ths61
07-30-2016, 10:54 PM
... What I did is make a bracket that bolts to my right passenger foot peg and rear crash bar. The bracket holds a gallon insulated water jug. I then bought some 5/16 food grade vinyl tubing. One end of the tubing is fed into the water jug and I attach a Camelback bite valve to the other end of the tubing. A clip on the front of my jacket holds the tubing when I don't have the valve in my mouth. With this system I simply fill the jug with ice then water and put it in the bracket and I have water for two tanks of fuel or more. With this system the jug is positioned just behind my right leg and down low. Works great but only if you are riding one up. I got the idea for this system from the Iron Butt Association web site. This site is a great place for learning a great deal about long distance riding

Good luck and stay hydrated

Du 2 mi common core educassion, I can only reed picts un memes.

:postpics:

shooter
07-31-2016, 05:19 AM
That's hotter than the gates of hell according to the people in Maine.

Felt like spring again. That 95° with 80% humidity sucks.

kenny urban
08-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Hi,
I just completed a 12 day run from Oregon, west thru Idaho and Montana, then up thru Calgary and west to Banff, Lake Louise, the Ice Fields, Jasper, etc. Absolutely an amazing run. Temperatures ranged from 42 to 95. I wanted to share some of my experiences on riding on those 90+ degree days. I had 2 accessories that made riding in these somewhat difficult conditions very fun: 1) a CamelBack-style water container, and 2) a 'wet vest'.

The Camel Back water container is the backpack-style water bladder with a sipping tube. Every morning I would go over to the hotel ice machine, fill the water bladder with ice and top it off with water. As the day got hot, every 20 minutes or so I would pop free the bottom of my modular helmet and sip an ounce or two of ice cold water. Note that the effects of dehydration are subtle, and at my advancing age, it does sneak up to me. So the continual consumption of sips of water is better than, say, powering down a 12 oz bottle of water at a gas stop every 2-3 hours. There are a number of these available, I bought one at Dicks for around $50

The wet vest is frankly magic. You soak this vest in water, put it on under your breathable mesh jacket, then as you ride the water in the vest wicks off and cools you like air conditioning. Even in the hottest weather the vest stays wet and cools you for 3+ hours. This sucker really works. I bought mine at Cyclegear but there are other providers as well.

Thats's all I got - hope it helps.Try the GLACIER TEK Cool Vest,,It is not affected by Humitity,, Just a thought,,You start with the first set of KOOL-PACKS,You keep the second set of KOOL-Packs in a cooler with COLD water, no need to freeze them, they recharge in COLD water in about 40 minutes, BUT, Last 2-3 hours,, I love-It !! I used-it in SO.Dakoda and It worked Great,,KennyU