PDA

View Full Version : Another new owner, with thanks to the forum

copper
06-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Just a quick intro.....and many thanks to the members and contributors here. I hope this intro helps others sitting on the fence, as I cannot speak highly enough of the F6B.

I have been riding on and off since I was a teenager, both for pleasure, and at work. Started off with a Yamaha RD400 in the late 70's, then a CB550. After that, a Harley Sportster, Kawi 1000 'Special', and a Harley FLHTP. More recently, had an M109r for the past several years. But in looking at expanding my riding trips, no matter how much I bagged, fairing'd, and windshield'ed that M109r, the M109r just couldn't provide the wind management that I was looking for. A lack of proper wind management on longer rides and higher speeds limited my enjoyment. Due to my experiences with Harley's over the years, I vowed I would never use my own money for a Harley. The M109 was a sexy bike, but I learned with a flat tire on a road trip that no one stocks a 240 back tire. I had to leave my bike behind and pick it up on the return home a week later. I started looking at a replacement last year, & even took the F6B for a test ride, but couldn't make the decision to give up the M109 then. Wish I had. Oh well....

About 3 weeks ago, I picked up my F6B from a previous owner, with a few of the upgrades I would have wanted already installed. They include a Madstad windshield, adjustable back rest and rack, passenger floorboards & driver mini boards. My first ride on the F6B was a 400 km return trip, bringing the bike home, and it ran like a dream. I remember doing 120 km/hr along a highway, & I could actually hear the tire noise from traffic going in the opposite direction.

Since acquiring the bike 3 weeks ago, I have put about 3000 km's on the bike, and thats mostly on weekends. It wasn't until I saw a photo taken by another rider while out riding the "Duffy Lake Loop" that I was surprised how big the F6B is compared to other bikes. (See the photo below). One of the other riders commented on how I was able to stick to my lane, like I was on a rail. That's in many thanks to the capability of the F6B to go where it's aimed & stay there, & to provide the rider confidence to stay there at speed. Let me tell you, the Duffy lake Loop is a 'spirited' ride, when in the company of a Kawi Concours 1400 & 2 BMW 1600's. ;) (I'm second from left)

http://photos3.meetupstatic.com/photos/event/9/3/b/6/highres_451057814.jpeg

Despite its size, the F6B performs amazing well in slow speed skills techniques. Day 2 of ownership, I took the F6B to a cone course location & within minutes I was doing tight figure 8's' on a local designated "experienced" section of the cone course.

Many thanks to Dirtstiff for his speaker upgrade thread (as I have JBL speakers waiting to be installed), and others for the info available here (Liquid Glass, etc), most appreciated!

The most important thing I need to get finished is the bag key mod. It's ridiculous the number of times 1) I have walked away with the key stuck in the back, & 2) had people on the roads pull up beside me & tell me I have my keys hanging in the back of the bike. :icon_doh:

I am looking for a Brakeaway throttle lock, just in case anyone has one in the garage collecting dust.

I think of it as a 'Gentleman's tourer', or "Grandpa's sport bike" (I have 2 grandkids, so I qualify).
Smooth, powerful, quiet, and Honda reliable - This is my kinda bike!!

Copper

53driver
06-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Many on these hallowed pages will agree with you that the F6B makes them a better rider.
She is very forgiving of amateurish mistakes and will challenge you daily to better your piloting skills.
As a combat aviator, I have determined that this bike is not to be ridden, but rather, piloted.

As you have discovered with the cone course, she's very agile and once she trains you as to how to manipulate her, there's nothing more fun than the stares of other owners watching you whip her through the courses.

From full handlebar lock turns to shifting your weight to the outside and then dropping your inboard elbow and putting your "chin-on-wrist", y'all can do any dance from a slow gyrating vertical entanglement to a quick spirited tango. She's a fun girl and after 24k miles, it's only getting better.

Cheers,
Steve

carpdm
06-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Looks like you have a great group to ride with. The B is a wonderful bike. Enjoy the ride.

Brasco
06-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Enjoyed your post and pic, Copper. Looking forward to doing the Cache Creek to Horseshoe Bay leg of the loop on a trip in from Calgary one day soon. Driven it in the cage many times in years gone by (born and raised on North Shore so familiar territory) but have never done that trip on two wheels. Can't wait to get reacquainted with it. Cheers.

SimonTemplar
06-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the Free World! You'll like it here. (...We have cookies!)

....sT

GaTeach
06-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Welcome. I love this bike with all my heart.

copper
06-24-2016, 06:00 PM
Welcome. I love this bike with all my heart.

Thanks Teach, I agree, it is superb.

Enjoyed your post and pic, Copper. Looking forward to doing the Cache Creek to Horseshoe Bay leg of the loop on a trip in from Calgary one day soon. Driven it in the cage many times in years gone by (born and raised on North Shore so familiar territory) but have never done that trip on two wheels. Can't wait to get reacquainted with it. Cheers.

Branco, that will be quite a trip. Now that I have a B, I will be looking at running it up to visit my brother in the Calgary area. Just an FYI, there is about a 200 meter portion, construction zone, of Highway 99 between Lytton and Pemberton that is dirt and gravel. It's not on the BC Highway web sight, I don't think. We went over it rather delicately, it was not an issue. Have no idea how long that roadwork will be there.

Many on these hallowed pages will agree with you that the F6B makes them a better rider.
She is very forgiving of amateurish mistakes and will challenge you daily to better your piloting skills.
As a combat aviator, I have determined that this bike is not to be ridden, but rather, piloted.

As you have discovered with the cone course, she's very agile and once she trains you as to how to manipulate her, there's nothing more fun than the stares of other owners watching you whip her through the courses.

From full handlebar lock turns to shifting your weight to the outside and then dropping your inboard elbow and putting your "chin-on-wrist", y'all can do any dance from a slow gyrating vertical entanglement to a quick spirited tango. She's a fun girl and after 24k miles, it's only getting better.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I am getting better at my 'pilot' skills with this 'B.

Looks like you have a great group to ride with. The B is a wonderful bike. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks carpdm! it was a great group, and a really fun ride. I recommend it to anyone.

Copper