PDA

View Full Version : F6B Struck by Lightning?

timjoebob
09-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Sure looks like an F6B...

http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=20976

Steve 0080
09-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I saw this once... a man was struck by lighting and had the change in his pocket welded together and his man parts blown off.................... Lighting will hit moving objects and does very often !!!!!!

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 08:28 PM
HOLY HOT-SHOT!!!!

Lucky man! Even if the zap didn't get him, he's still lucky he didn't black out - crash/burn!

Could be a 6,,, Has a ~funky looking~ seat,,, Same Kury bag that Miles uses,,, Arai 3/4 helmet,,,,

Retired Army
09-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I would say the helmet played a large part in him surviving, hows that for a great testimonial for helmets?

1951vbs
Until a few years ago I was under the impression that your tires would insult you from a lightning strike and would pride myself in running through the worst of the worst thunder storms. What an idiot I was! Just google "lightning strikes motorcycle" and you will see it is pretty common. I still ride through some bad stuff but if there is frequent lightning I sit it out.

Phantom
looks like that might be MILES :shock:

Update .......

It is Miles, I can tell by the custom seat and Utopia backrest

mtcgun
09-05-2013, 09:12 PM
what bag is that on the back? kinda like it. :)

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
looks like that might be MILES :shock:

Update .......

It is Miles, I can tell by the custom seat and Utopia backrest

OLE CHIT!!!

I always thought he was FASTER than lightning!!!! :shock:

Scotrod
09-05-2013, 09:20 PM
what bag is that on the back? kinda like it. :)

Pretty certain Miles uses a GranTraveler,,,

Looks like this: http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/682/GranTraveler-Bag

Steve 0080
09-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Chehalis, Washington - Featured Result

mapquest.com/Chehalis+WA

Chehalis is located in Lewis County

Local Time: 7:22 PM PDT

Weather: 63°F and scattered thunderstorms

Area Codes: 360, 564

Funny you said that, Tony I thought the same thing...it is close to his home !!! And the guy stands like him!!! Blow the Pic up...it is MILES!!!!!

Phantom
09-05-2013, 10:06 PM
UPDATE ...

Just got off the phone with MILES, yes it is Miles and he is at a Trauma Center. Supposed to be released tomorrow morning.

Has no hearing in right ear and very little in the left. Being kept overnight so they can monitor his heart and keep an eye on some bleeding from right ear. A little shook up with injuries around his head and neck area.

The lightning knocked him out while traveling at 70mph, he came to when the driver of the pick-up truck following him tapped on his shoulder. Miles does not recall how he ended upright on the side of the road with the side stand down.

The Bike was taken to his home by Dale (one of our members), apparently the lightning travelled down his headset cord into the right speaker, fried the HID's and melted the antenna . No telling what other electronics have been damaged.

Hoping for a speedy recovery and that your hearing comes back.

1951vbs
09-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Let our prayers be with you brother.

bobbyf6b
09-05-2013, 11:12 PM
Holy crap! Get well soon brother Miles. That must cause one hell of a headache. :icon_doh:

Darkknight
09-06-2013, 05:44 AM
Glad he's Ok.
I'd buy a lottery ticket. He's a lucky guy.
I wonder if his Million Miles helped get him to the side of the road as if by "reflex" more than anything else.

Anyway...you are still here for a reason Miles. :pop:

I hope to meet you at next year's rally.

Maybe you'll get another knickname?? Sparkie? Flash? Smokey? Lightning McMiles? Thunder Top? F6BOOM? :icon_wink:
Well it's easy to joke about it now, but it could have been a lot worse...

jkelley
09-06-2013, 05:46 AM
Damn,

I never considered lightning on my bike, and I have also ridden through some real crap.

Miles, hope you are ok, and your electrifying experience has not shaken you too bad?

Please let us know how you are doing.

Scotrod
09-06-2013, 07:52 AM
UPDATE ...

Miles does not recall how he ended upright on the side of the road with the side stand down.

The Bike was taken to his home by Dale (one of our members), apparently the lightning travelled down his headset cord into the right speaker, fried the HID's and melted the antenna . No telling what other electronics have been damaged.

GOOD LORD!!!! Lucky to be alive in so many regards!!!

We're pulling for ya Miles! Heal up soon!!!!!!!

Scotrod
09-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Maybe you'll get another knickname?? Sparkie? Flash? Smokey? Lightning McMiles? Thunder Top? F6BOOM? :icon_wink:

As soon as he get's back up to speed, we SHOULD come up with something to remember his encounter with,,,

Maybe rename his bike,,,,,, call it an 'Electro-glide'? :duck:

Wingman
09-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Hmm, small world, even smaller forum. Glad he is ok (relative to what happened), just another badge of honor for a hardened motorcyclist, ATGATT comes through again!!! Now...how to explain this to the insurance company???:icon_doh: I have responded to 3 motorcycle wrecks this past couple months with some very critical injuries. Wearing proper gear could have lessened the blow quite a bit.

kjelders
09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Holy Crap! I heard about this yesterday morning, but the local news didn't give a name. I will have to go check on him after he is released from the hospital.

RoughRider
09-06-2013, 09:37 AM
DAMN, Miles did say he was going to ride through some rain on the last leg back from his trip. Hope he recovers 100%, take care brother.

Yeahoo Whoyah
09-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Has no hearing in right ear and very little in the left. Being kept overnight so they can monitor his heart and keep an eye on some bleeding from right ear.

A group of Sacramento area F6B riders rode to Auburn to meet Miles a few months ago. I came to the conclusion Miles hearing wasn't that great then, probably from 40+ years of wind noise while riding. So now this. Wow. Quite Amazing.

Westernbiker
09-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about this Miles. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Big Dawg
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Prayers sent from the Big and Little Dawg

kjelders
09-06-2013, 09:56 AM
What is called "west of the Cascades", it is not very common to have lightning and thunder around here. I've seen more lightning and heard more thunder in the last two days than I have in the 5 1/2 years I've been here. I still can't believe it was Miles that was hit by lightning.

According to the witness, Miles was slumped over but still manage to get the bike to the shoulder. Unbelievable, I guess those million miles paid off as the body just reacted. The report said Miles doesn't remember it. I guess we can call him "Duh" now. :joke: Just kidding bro. We love ya man!

imported_scottydi
09-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Wishing a speedy recovery.

Hornblower
09-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Maybe we should add another PHD now...in electricity :bowdown:

Seriously, Miles, we hope and pray that you can recover fully!

F6B-RICH
09-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Get well soon Miles. I heard you got some repairs to make to the F6B so wishing you a speedy recovery :icon_cool:

BACA
09-06-2013, 12:38 PM
You are one lucky dude.........hope you have a speedy recovery and are back on the road soon!!

MercuryF1
09-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Get well soon Miles! best wishes all the way from Malaysia.

:yes:

Retired Army
09-06-2013, 12:57 PM
Get well soon amigo we are looking forward to hearing from you again.1414

kjelders
09-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Funny thing....I only know his name as Miles....what is his real name?

Phantom
09-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Funny thing....I only know his name as Miles....what is his real name?

:attention1:

I would prefer to leave PERSONAL information off the site, no need to have anyone exposed to Identity Theft.

Private Message Miles directly, Thank You! :icon_wink:

hondabikepro
09-06-2013, 01:23 PM
UPDATE ...

Just got off the phone with MILES, yes it is Miles and he is at a Trauma Center. Supposed to be released tomorrow morning.

Has no hearing in right ear and very little in the left. Being kept overnight so they can monitor his heart and keep an eye on some bleeding from right ear. A little shook up with injuries around his head and neck area.

The lightning knocked him out while traveling at 70mph, he came to when the driver of the pick-up truck following him tapped on his shoulder. Miles does not recall how he ended upright on the side of the road with the side stand down.

Hoping for a speedy recovery and that your hearing comes back.
yes i went down and rode his bike to his house last night in the storm, it was really raining hard with lots of lightning, and about five inches of water on the side roads, but i figured the bike had already been hit once, what are the odds of a second strike? most things do not work on the bike, lights, radio, no displays at all, no blinkers, but the F6B still runs fine. his Garmin 550 still works. dale

kjelders
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I just checked with admitting at the hospital in Seattle that Miles was at. He was released to go home this morning at 10:30 local time. That's good news.

Yeahoo Whoyah
09-06-2013, 02:33 PM
According to the witness, Miles was slumped over but still manage to get the bike to the shoulder. Unbelievable, I guess those million miles paid off as the body just reacted. The report said Miles doesn't remember it.

Indeed, with all the hours spent in the saddle reflex action took over. And he got the side stand deployed! The legend grows!
:shock:

Steve 0080
09-06-2013, 02:44 PM
" The legend grows! "......can you imagine the camp fire stories from this....!!!!!!

Get well soon and get back on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kjelders
09-06-2013, 02:47 PM
When you can get back out there Miles and we go on a ride, if I see just one itsy bitsy storm cloud, I am heading for cover. Now that I know you are a good conductor of electricity. :shock: Dude, Ben Franklin did that trick way back when, you didn't have to repeat it to see if it worked! :icon_mrgreen:

Limbuck
09-06-2013, 03:03 PM
A legend indeed. WOW. We be praying for you too brother. Miles I know you know this from Sir Andrew Barton back around 1500 or something and it fits you so well:
"I am hurt, but I am not slain. I'll lay me down and bleed a while, And then I'll rise and fight again."
Amen brothers.

timjoebob
09-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Holy moly. Never thought it would strike so close to home, so to speak. Hoping for a full recovery for him and his bike. Wow.

Retired Army
09-06-2013, 03:36 PM
I am wondering if the repairs are covered under warranty?

unsub
09-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery Miles.

1951vbs
09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I am wondering if the repairs are covered under warranty?

Warranty no, Insurance yes.

I am not worried about the bike however; my concern is a full recovery for my new friend. The world's toughest motorcycle rider!

contek
09-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Crap. I'm sure when Miles recovers he will tell you there is 99.314159% chance of getting struck while riding in a thunderstorm on a black f6b, so...

Steve 0080
09-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Forgive me but that there was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2:

Bruce B
09-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Some guys will go to just about any lengths to promote that "world's toughest biker" image.

Seriously, Miles, sorry to hear about your misfortune and happy that you not only survived, but are already out of the hospital. To not only survive the lightning strike, but also be able to get safely stopped, is remarkable.

A question comes to mind for you, Miles, or for anyone who might actually know about such things. Is there any way that the electrical cord from your helmet to the bike could do anything to enhance the electrical blow to you personally, or could it have had a mitigating affect? This question probably exposes my near total lack of understanding of things electrical.

Prayers for your speedy and total recovery, Miles. Also prayers of thanks for your survival.

And let us know when you'll be down Sacramento way again.

Bruce

kjelders
09-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Crap. I'm sure when Miles recovers he will tell you there is 99.314159% chance of getting struck while riding in a thunderstorm on a black f6b, so...

quick.....I need some red paint! :shock:

Memphian
09-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Miles i'm glad to hear that you have survived this lighting strike. I hope you have a full recovery and you are back riding soon.

fsixb_AZ
09-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Now this is amazing, hit while riding at 70 mph, keeps it upright and pulls over to put the kickstand down? I think Miles could ride a bike in his sleep. Speedy recovery Miles.

Dark Knight
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Whoa!! That was Miles! Wonder if Iron Butt has a patch for that? Shit, the story alone is priceless!

Did he put on the CT yet? Better exclude CT on motorcycle increases chance of lightning strike. :shock:

Miles, here's to a speedy recovery! Glad your still here! Cheers! :beer3:

flyboy
09-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Whoa!! That was Miles! Wonder if Iron Butt has a patch for that? Shit, the story alone is priceless!

Did he put on the CT yet? Better exclude CT on motorcycle increases chance of lightning strike. :shock:

Miles, here's to a speedy recovery! Glad your still here! Cheers! :beer3:

Glad you made it through that, hope everything's ok. Hang in there! :icon_biggrin:

Big Dawg
09-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Best Wishes sent.........

MichaelG
09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
A legend indeed. WOW. We be praying for you too brother. Miles I know you know this from Sir Andrew Barton back around 1500 or something and it fits you so well:
"I am hurt, but I am not slain. I'll lay me down and bleed a while, And then I'll rise and fight again."
Amen brothers.

I want to thank you ALL for the well wishes. Reading these posts...I am crying, and laughing. I have to say the quote from Limbuck says it best, "I am hurt, but I am not slain. I'll lay me down and bleed, and then I'll rise and fight again". Credits to Sir Andrew Barton.

I am home now. The hearing is about 90 % gone in both ears. The left ear "may" come back, but the right ear will probably need surgery, to rebuild the tympanic membrane, as it is blown out. I have burnt hair around both ears, across the back of the neck, and both ear lobes are burnt. I have bleeding out of the right ear. There is also one burn mark on my left upper chest, above the heart. The had me in the Burn ICU at Harborview Hospital in Seattle.

THANK YOU to Dale for riding my bike home. After being awaked on the side of the road, and checking the bike over, I found it would start, so I agreed to follow the eye-witness that saw the whole thing, and I rode another 1/2 mile up the Interstate, took the next exit, and pulled into an AM/PM mini-mart lot. That is where they called all the emergency services. When all of them arrived, it was a freak show as everyone wanted to SEE this motorcycle that was struck by lightning, and was still alive. After an initial checkout, I wanted to ride my bike home 15 miles, and THEN go to the hospital. But when the paramedics said that I was bleeding from the ears, I agreed to not ride the bike. But I insisted that the bike be ridden to a local fire station, where they have storage for a couple State Patrol bikes, and that it be ridden by one of the State Patrol officers. I made them promise me the bike would NOT we towed away.

They did as I asked, rode it to the fire station, and later that day Dale (HondaBikePro) rode it home for me. Thank YOU...Dale.

Physically, I am out of it. No balance, for obvious reasons, and my head is not straight. Emotionally, I am upset, but will recover. Psychologically, I am fine.

The bike can and will be repaired, and the helmet replaced. It was an ARAI helmet, with the J&M headset, corded to the bike. I had already made the previous decision that the next helmet would be a bluetooth unit, so there is no cord to the bike. I may "ask" J&M or ARAI if they want to replace this helmet for me, as a gift, and take my melted helmet in exchange...for the good-will it could advertise for them.

If the helmet HAD been a bluetooth, it likely woul;d have spared the bike from damage. It is very clear that the lightning traveled around the headset, down the headset cord, to the bike, and throughout the bikes electrical system. Had there NOT been a cord to the bike, it may have saved the bike. BUT...with no where else to ground to, what other damage would the lightning have done to me...while searching for a ground?

Thank you all for your well wishes,

:icon_frown:

Philbert40
09-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Get Well....you are an inspiration to us all.

Paul B Blues
09-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Holy Crap Miles,

I've just seen the news feature here in the UK. I read the report on here, but didn't click that it was YOU! Man I hope you can get back to as normal as possible as soon as possible. My thoughts are with you mate. All the very best my friend.

Paul B.......:yes:

MichaelG
09-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Here is another news clip, that sorta tells it all.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/motorcycle-rider-hit-lightning/nZn85/

Tbone56
09-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Wishing you a speeding recovery and back to riding soon!

Terre

1951vbs
09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
If the helmet HAD been a bluetooth, it likely would have spared the bike from damage. It is very clear that the lightning traveled around the headset, down the headset cord, to the bike, and throughout the bikes electrical system. Had there NOT been a cord to the bike, it may have saved the bike. BUT...with no where else to ground to, what other damage would the lightning have done to me...while searching for a ground?

It is good to hear from you. Thank you for the update. I wish you the most complete recovery possible.

I also think the fact that the lightning followed the cord to the bike saved you from more severe injury or even death. I had wondered at first if the coms system made you more of a target but I find the scenario unlikely. All the information I have read points to lightning targeting the tallest point in a specific area.

Wingman
09-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I may "ask" J&M or ARAI if they want to replace this helmet for me, as a gift, and take my melted helmet in exchange...for the good-will it could advertise for them.

I have tried this a couple times with Arai, Shoei, and Vanson. The helmet guys said they would take it for research purposes, but they couldn’t give me anything in return. Vanson said they would fix my racing suit for free if they could display it in the store for a month. Getting struck by lightning is a different thing all together, so you may have different luck than I did. Glad you are well (relatively speaking).

choptop
09-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Miles, Glad to hear you are ok, at least as well as can be expected , considering the circumstances. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hornblower
09-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Miles, I must say, it's good to see you posting again. Your humor and insight is much appreciated.

You probably don't remember but I wonder if you noticed a tickling feeling just before the strike, sort of like when you hair stands up due to static. I do have a reason for asking this. My uncle was an electrical genius with 18 patents in his name and specialized in the nature of lighting. As an engineering student, I spent a couple of summers working for him in an R&D lab and needless to say, picked up some very interesting ideas on this subject. Especially considering his evidence, your experience is most unusual and interesting and a bit hard to explain. If however, you do remember this "tickling" sensation, and it would have been very brief, then, I may be able to explain exactly what happened.

Steve 0080
09-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Not sure about anything here ...but lighting is attacted to moving objects!!!

MSGT-R
09-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Holly crap, and the bike still runs!!!

Miles, you are truely blessed :bowdown:

Has anyone called Honda yet?

timjoebob
09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Glad to see you're lucid (a relative term, I know). Glad you were spared. God ain't done with you yet, I guess. As I read on another thread, someone said you have only 8 lives left, but if your description of Dwight's and Luther's accidents are correct, you may be down to 6 lives left.

Take it slow. Take it easy. Rest and dream.

bob109
09-07-2013, 09:39 PM
A speedy recovery to you Miles! You're in my prayers!

Bob109

Mustangjake
09-07-2013, 10:32 PM
World's toughest Motorcyclist !

BARRYS770
09-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I've been away from the computer for a few days while I attended the "Shades of the Past" car show in Pigeon Forge. Needless to say, I was shocked when I read this post. We had just met a just a few days prior at the F6B rally. I was telling my wife about our meeting & the F6B rally as we passed through Franklin, NC on our return from the car show. Truly, a small world.

I glad to hear that you ok & I hope that you'll be able to return to riding soon.

Barry

Alberta Beagle
09-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Good grief I have been away at a wedding in the mountains since last Wednesday and come back to all the havoc on the roads here.
Miles I truly wish you a speedy recovery from your injuries and ope there are no long them effects. Most importantly you are able to tell your story which is truly amazing.

Get well soon my friend.

Beagle

av8rdave
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
I've not been on here much lately (stepdaughter's wedding), but recently saw this thread.

While the strike obviously had some serious results, it could have been much worse.

I'm glad you're still in one piece, Miles!

MNF6B
09-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Miles,

So glad to hear that you landed on the side of the road KSD. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

MNF6B