PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on rear tire

opas ride
06-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Discovered today, after a short ride, that some kind of nail or screw,(round head and flat) is buried in the center of my rear tire flush with the tread..Have about 9450 miles on tire and it still has a lot of meat left...Sorry not able to post pictures....but my dealer, or the only one I trust is 125 miles away..He has the new Dunlop E-4 in stock and I would like to go to this tire..Do I dare risk riding that far with the object in my tire or try to have my son plug it until I can get to dealer...Called a few local places, thay will not plug motorcycle tires and at present I have no way to trailer the thing to the dealer...If I chance it, I plan to ride back roads at a slower pace and have my wife follow me in the car....Any advise or suggestions if welcome.....Thanks and ride safe....I am 76 and not able to get tire off bike so I am kinda stuck!!!

Ixol Phaane
06-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Discovered today, after a short ride, that some kind of nail or screw,(round head and flat) is buried in the center of my rear tire flush with the tread..Have about 9450 miles on tire and it still has a lot of meat left...Sorry not able to post pictures....but my dealer, or the only one I trust is 125 miles away..He has the new Dunlop E-4 in stock and I would like to go to this tire..Do I dare risk riding that far with the object in my tire or try to have my son plug it until I can get to dealer...Called a few local places, thay will not plug motorcycle tires and at present I have no way to trailer the thing to the dealer...If I chance it, I plan to ride back roads at a slower pace and have my wife follow me in the car....Any advise or suggestions if welcome.....Thanks and ride safe....I am 76 and not able to get tire off bike so I am kinda stuck!!!

If you plan to have the wife follow in the car... why not just take the wheel and tire off the bike and carry it in the car to the dealer for the new tire? :shrug:

stroguy
06-21-2016, 02:40 PM
I rode from OKC to Houston, 470 miles with a nail. Not advisable but I had few options. Take a pressure check, ride 30 miles, take a pressure check, ride 30 miles, take a pressure check. That was my advice from shooter and it worked. Walmart sells the plugs you can do by yourself. Be careful whatever your choice is.

willtill
06-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Plug it

shooter
06-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Opas if its not losing any air now I think you can ride it.

wjduke
06-21-2016, 03:13 PM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8928-First-screw-job
Check this thread, especially the beginning. I plugged this tire and rode it for about a week. No issues, at least 500 miles, if not more. If the plug goes in tight and feels good and solid, I'd ride it.

Elroy
06-21-2016, 03:13 PM

If you plan to have the wife follow in the car... why not just take the wheel and tire off the bike and carry it in the car to the dealer for the new tire? :shrug:

That's why

DMAGOLDRDR
06-21-2016, 03:14 PM
The big issue with a Rear tire going flat as you ride, is the slower speed. At a higher speed you will feel the tire go soft and the rear wiggle a bit, BUT as you get to a very low speed with a flat rear tire, if the bead breaks the rear will wobble back forth and I have seen guys go down trying to get stopped. You already have 9400 miles in it and I am willing to bet that carcass is pretty thin already and not going to hold up well to running soft.

My suggestion is to flip someone a few bucks to help you remove the tire from the bike and get the tire swapped.

zeus661
06-21-2016, 05:26 PM
plug it and forget about it. I rode about 7000 miles on a tire I plugged. Deflate the tire. Watch a YouTube video and plug it. Wait several hour to inflate. Check for leaks. Go for small ride. Check again. If no leaks forget about it and ride.

Ixol Phaane
06-21-2016, 05:48 PM

That's why

Well, shut my mouth! Obviously I missed that. :icon_doh:

willtill
06-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Plug it
/thread

BuzzzPhotos
06-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Ask your Son to plug it or watch the you tube video on laying the bike on its side to change the tire. It's almost as easy for your Son to pull the tire off & run it to the dealer as it is to plug it.

shooter
06-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Opas , less stress on that tire running in a straight line at a normal pace than backroads and curves and prolonging the trip.

Steve 0080
06-21-2016, 10:31 PM
A couple of options...

a. Plug it and go get it changed out.

b. Plug it and get some more miles.

c. Check the air and ride it to the shop...(how far did you ride it before you knew there was a screw in it?)

d. If to concerned, lay bike over on side and remove tire..I think it is 18MM... RandR move on!

I get a kick out of folks on what they would do. One of my questions is how far did you ride it before there was a problem. Coming back from a Rune

rally one of the guys noticed his front tire was showing thread...got a little upset...my question was how many miles did you ride it at 80mph before you

were aware? He rode the bike all the way to FLA !

opas ride
06-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks to all who gave advise/opinions on my tire issue...But, all is going to work out fine. My neighbor told me of a local guy, about 10 minutes from my house who does all type of bike repairs including tires..He rides a Goldwing and is very familiar with the F6B..Ordered both front and rear new Dunlop E-4's and will have them put on in a couple days when the tires arrive.....Ride safe and thanks again for the responses...