PDA

View Full Version : Who says motorcycle tires are safer?

wiggy
06-21-2016, 09:38 PM
I want to tell everyone here what I experienced in the last week to give a heads up on what could happen if all the bad scenarios work out.

I was backing my bike out of the garage the other morning and thought "Dang, this beast isn't backing up too well. I got off the bike and noticed the rear tire seemed very low. I had just checked it a couple days prior and it was ok. My tire gauge registered a whopping 7psi.

I put the bike up on the center stand and started spinning the tire while spraying with dish soap solution. I found the culprit.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160614_183420_zpslewhb9st.jpg

I had about 7600 miles on the back tire and it appeared to have a few thou left on it. I've been successful in the past with putting a StopNGo style mushroom plug in a couple tires.
For those not familiar, with this kit, a tire can be plugged right on the bike. Here is a pic of the kit and the mushroom plugs, which get shot through the tire and then pulled to seat the head against the inside of the tire.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/StopNGo_zps5njrnhxm.jpg

On Saturday, I checked the pressure in the morning before taking off for the Illinois Freedom Run with a couple Vet buddies. It was down to about 37psi from the 41 I aired it up to a couple days earlier. I added air once again to get the bike up to 43psi.
The ride was uneventful until coming home. I noticed the B just started to get a little less responsive. Since I was in staggered formation, I weaved a couple times and didn't like how it was responding. The B even started to smell like a brake pad was dragging. I pulled off into a gas station, dismounted and notice the back tire was VERY low again and was the reason for the poor handling.

Upon rolling the bike over to the Air Station, I noticed my previous plug was nowhere to be seen and the reason for the air loss. I also noticed the tire was pretty hot. I at this point was just thinking about getting the bike home without anything major happening. I had the plug kit on me and decided to put another plug in, which I did. I then aired the tire up, checking the pressure as I went. I was laying on the ground to get under the saddlebag and have access to the tire valve.

As soon as I saw 41psi, I stopped airing up. No more than a couple seconds later, I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast and felt a big thud on my chest. The sidewall let go right in front of me and I got the whole blast of escaping air. I was wearing safety glasses but my face also got pelted with rubber bits and pieces.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160620_093015_zpskmjhzscz.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160620_093041_zps0rvdlrd5.jpg

This is what shot out into my face and chest.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160618_160024_zpstidumumh.jpg

I'm very lucky the sidewall gave out when it did instead of 10 minutes later when I might have been doing 50. One reason I bring this up is because I just saw a thread where a few members were advising another member to plug his tire and ride it. I myself will only plug in an emergency situation from now on---to get a bike home. Then I'll take it to a tire place to get a stinger style patch put in from the inside.

I realize the sidewall let go because of the heat buildup from the low pressure of the tire as the plug gave way and air escaped...but WOW. Talk about a "Hold my beer and Watch this moment!?"

Steve 0080
06-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Good thing you have your glasses on ! Good thing you have the CT on hand so you can be up and running !!!

wiggy
06-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Good thing you have your glasses on ! Good thing you have the CT on hand so you can be up and running !!!

Agreed, Steve on the polarized safety glasses. I had been wanting to convert to the Darkside on the B....just not under these circumstances.
:yikes:

unsub
06-21-2016, 11:25 PM
@Wiggy thank you for the important reminder to all of us here the value of personal protective equipment for even the quickest or smallest tasks and the value of a pre trip inspection. One moment of inattention can make the difference.

As for tire plugs, you're preaching to the choir with me, but unlikely to change the opinions of some.

Glad you're OK and have the sight to ride another day.:yes:

willtill
06-22-2016, 05:54 AM
Glad you made out ok with that tire failure at a stop; rather than if you were under operation on the bike.

So the plug failed but the tire ultimately failed due to heat buildup; from continued operation at low pressure?

The only plugs that I will use are the string type. Not fond of the Stop-n go plug kit, or the other mechanical type plug placement devices... I have more control with the placement of the plug (angle of attack) in order to follow the path of the removed nail/screw/bolt which penetrated the tread,

wiggy
06-22-2016, 06:11 AM
Glad you made out ok with that tire failure at a stop; rather than if you were under operation on the bike.

Thanks, willtill

So the plug failed but the tire ultimately failed due to heat buildup; from continued operation at low pressure?

I believe that's what caused it. It was a very hot day. Between the tire already being heated and the increased heat from the low pressure, those could have been contributing factors. However, I'm no expert on the matter

The only plugs that I will use are the string type. Not fond of the Stop-n go plug kit, or the other mechanical type plug placement devices... I have more control with the placement of the plug (angle of attack) in order to follow the path of the removed nail/screw/bolt which penetrated the tread,

I can see using the string type plugs in a car tire, but this was my original Bridgestone mc tire.

Thanks for your thoughts!

lloydmoore1
06-22-2016, 06:37 AM
Wiggy your a lucky man and smart to be wearing the safety glasses and taking all the steps that you did. Thanks for sharing some very valuable info. Hope your remainder bike time is safe and event free.:yes:

lloyd

willtill
06-22-2016, 06:41 AM
I have had two things blow up in my face in recent memory... a ruptured 8x56mm cartridge and a bicycle tire. Both startling events.

I can only imagine a motorcycle tire doing that. Definitely a larger startling event I bet. :shock:

gregj
06-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Glad you are ok after all that!!!

FWIW, I stopped using the mushroom Plug and Go plugs years ago because the cords in the tire tend to slice through the plug. I had several of them to fail for this exact reason. Since then I have used the string/gummy worm type plugs with much success. Use the string plug to get you home, then if the tire is worth salvaging, put a plug/patch in it and keep it as a spare/backup.

seadog
06-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Glad your ok and made it safely back home but again I have always said if it goes flat and I put a plug in it, it is to get me to my home so I can put a brand new tire on immediately. I just won't ever run a plugged tire no matter how good you think your plug is. When something punctures your tire cords and belts in the tire could be compromised and that creates a weak point, that I could never live with being the fact that those two tires have my life in their hands. JMHO.

Audiochris90
06-22-2016, 09:15 AM
I want to tell everyone here what I experienced in the last week to give a heads up on what could happen if all the bad scenarios work out.

I was backing my bike out of the garage the other morning and thought "Dang, this beast isn't backing up too well. I got off the bike and noticed the rear tire seemed very low. I had just checked it a couple days prior and it was ok. My tire gauge registered a whopping 7psi.

I put the bike up on the center stand and started spinning the tire while spraying with dish soap solution. I found the culprit.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160614_183420_zpslewhb9st.jpg

I had about 7600 miles on the back tire and it appeared to have a few thou left on it. I've been successful in the past with putting a StopNGo style mushroom plug in a couple tires.
For those not familiar, with this kit, a tire can be plugged right on the bike. Here is a pic of the kit and the mushroom plugs, which get shot through the tire and then pulled to seat the head against the inside of the tire.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/StopNGo_zps5njrnhxm.jpg

On Saturday, I checked the pressure in the morning before taking off for the Illinois Freedom Run with a couple Vet buddies. It was down to about 37psi from the 41 I aired it up to a couple days earlier. I added air once again to get the bike up to 43psi.
The ride was uneventful until coming home. I noticed the B just started to get a little less responsive. Since I was in staggered formation, I weaved a couple times and didn't like how it was responding. The B even started to smell like a brake pad was dragging. I pulled off into a gas station, dismounted and notice the back tire was VERY low again and was the reason for the poor handling.

Upon rolling the bike over to the Air Station, I noticed my previous plug was nowhere to be seen and the reason for the air loss. I also noticed the tire was pretty hot. I at this point was just thinking about getting the bike home without anything major happening. I had the plug kit on me and decided to put another plug in, which I did. I then aired the tire up, checking the pressure as I went. I was laying on the ground to get under the saddlebag and have access to the tire valve.

As soon as I saw 41psi, I stopped airing up. No more than a couple seconds later, I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast and felt a big thud on my chest. The sidewall let go right in front of me and I got the whole blast of escaping air. I was wearing safety glasses but my face also got pelted with rubber bits and pieces.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160620_093015_zpskmjhzscz.jpg

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160620_093041_zps0rvdlrd5.jpg

This is what shot out into my face and chest.
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee370/wiggydotcom/20160618_160024_zpstidumumh.jpg

I'm very lucky the sidewall gave out when it did instead of 10 minutes later when I might have been doing 50. One reason I bring this up is because I just saw a thread where a few members were advising another member to plug his tire and ride it. I myself will only plug in an emergency situation from now on---to get a bike home. Then I'll take it to a tire place to get a stinger style patch put in from the inside.

I realize the sidewall let go because of the heat buildup from the low pressure of the tire as the plug gave way and air escaped...but WOW. Talk about a "Hold my beer and Watch this moment!?"

So, Are you going to plug or patch that?:banghead::banghead:
Just kidding, glad you are safe. But I see a new tire in your future.