PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Harley-Davidson FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra meet up

Audiochris90
06-23-2016, 07:21 PM
Well I have 688 miles on my 2016 Deluxe. I can honestly say I'm in love with this machine. Ive put on the Socalmoto gear LEDs in the headlamps, their smoked switchbacks, their rear LEDS and show chrome fogs to be installed this weekend. Also did Dirtstiffs JBL speaker upgrade and OKF6B sold me his Clearview 14inc shield, and I got a little 11inch CeeBailey for the summer around town. Looks cool. I was leaving work (I'm a liquor store manager) and a customer pulled up on his 2016 Harley-Davidson® FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra® .

I was curious about his bike, having owned a VTX1800 retro I'm still cool with the cruiser look, but this Harley tries to be a touring / cruiser / show bike. I struck up a conversation with him. I told him I had just purchased the F6B a month ago, and I did not even consider a Harley because it was out of my price range. I asked him what made him choose the CVO. He said he had owned a 2002 Goldwing , but his friends had given him shit because it wasn't a Harley. I guessed it was a $34,000 bike. He was quick to correct me - it was only $ 39,000. I wondered what could all that money buy that was superior to the B.

He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard, bike or a car. I consider myself an audiophile, I have a really cool home theater system with a projector and a 109 inch screen, a SACD player ect ect. It was my hobby before I got back into motorcycles 5years ago. The Harley audio system was , well, jawdropping. His source was just FM. He cranked it up to painful levels but it was really clean, no distortion. Even with my upgraded JBLs, my stereo was poor in comparison, with a mp3 thumb drive source. I was thinking ok Chris, your comparing your $18000 F6b to a $39,000 Harley. Then he pointed out the radiators in the fairing. A water cooled engine? No he said it was for the heads only. And the motor was a 110 cu inch, which is a 1803. It didn't look as big as the VTX motor, but the VTX was designed as a water cooled motor, I think the Harley was an engineered add on. I didn't get to ride the Harley but I could see the limited travel of the rear suspension.
It could be better the the F6B / Goldwing suspension but I doubt it. So I'm thinking the Harley should be better in some aspects as it costs more than twice as much. I bet Jimmytees stereo sounds Justas good as the Harley CVO, and he didn't spend $20,000 on the stereo. Did he? I hear its pretty nice

.21703 21704

taxfree4
06-23-2016, 07:31 PM
Well I have 688 miles on my 2016 Deluxe. I can honestly say I'm in love with this machine. Ive put on the Socalmoto gear LEDs in the headlamps, their smoked switchbacks, their rear LEDS and show chrome fogs to be installed this weekend. Also did Dirtstiffs JBL speaker upgrade and OKF6B sold me his Clearview 14inc shield, and I got a little 11inch CeeBailey for the summer around town. Looks cool. I was leaving work (I'm a liquor store manager) and a customer pulled up on his 2016 Harley-Davidson® FLTRUSE - CVO™ Road Glide Ultra® .

I was curious about his bike, having owned a VTX1800 retro I'm still cool with the cruiser look, but this Harley tries to be a touring / cruiser / show bike. I struck up a conversation with him. I told him I had just purchased the F6B a month ago, and I did not even consider a Harley because it was out of my price range. I asked him what made him choose the CVO. He said he had owned a 2002 Goldwing , but his friends had given him shit because it wasn't a Harley. I guessed it was a $34,000 bike. He was quick to correct me - it was only $ 39,000. I wondered what could all that money buy that was superior to the B.

He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard, bike or a car. I consider myself an audiophile, I have a really cool home theater system with a projector and a 109 inch screen, a SACD player ect ect. It was my hobby before I got back into motorcycles 5years ago. The Harley audio system was , well, jawdropping. His source was just FM. He cranked it up to painful levels but it was really clean, no distortion. Even with my upgraded JBLs, my stereo was poor in comparison, with a mp3 thumb drive source. I was thinking ok Chris, your comparing your $18000 F6b to a $39,000 Harley. Then he pointed out the radiators in the fairing. A water cooled engine? No he said it was for the heads only. And the motor was a 110 cu inch, which is a 1803. It didn't look as big as the VTX motor, but the VTX was designed as a water cooled motor, I think the Harley was an engineered add on. I didn't get to ride the Harley but I could see the limited travel of the rear suspension.
It could be better the the F6B / Goldwing suspension but I doubt it. So I'm thinking the Harley should be better in some aspects as it costs more than twice as much. I bet Jimmytees stereo sounds Justas good as the Harley CVO, and he didn't spend $20,000 on the stereo. Did he? I hear its pretty nice

.21703 21704

Cooling the heads on a CVO is like shooting a water gun at a bonfire.

Heavvyduty
06-23-2016, 08:03 PM

So So True an alot of HD owner,s are having leaking problems with the new heads

Dave Ritsema
06-23-2016, 08:19 PM
Jimmy T's stereo ROCKS! And he can control it from his phone, pretty awesome! AND it's faster than that CVO too. LOL

valk98
06-23-2016, 11:45 PM
I always wanted a Harley so in 2012 a bought a new Ultra classic paid about $26.900.00 for it and put about another $7000.00 on it with extras. It was the biggest mistate of my life. This bike ran so hot it would roast you like a pig at a four minute traffic light. It ran good and was comfortable enough but the heat was a huge factor for me. The dealer told me to install exhaust and this would cool the bike down. It did not cool it down by adding the exhaust. I just could not ride it with all that heat. It was a big lesson learned. Luck have it i still have my 98 Tourer and i'am looking for a F6B. I could of had two F6B's for what i paid for the Harley. It took 9 months to sell it and i took a huge loss on it.

SimonTemplar
06-24-2016, 01:06 AM
.......He ran thru the features of the comm/audio system first. The feature set is really impressive, touchscreen with xm , Bluetooth stock helmet coms, Nav, and the most incredible factory stereo I've ever heard......

This time around, I seriously considered Harley. It's about the only Major I haven't owned in my life....that and Indian (unless you include the Indian Four my father left to me). But, I'm with you....45k for a CVO Ultra Limited, and nearly as much for a CVO Road Glide, is just downright robbery. Especially considering you're buying a bike full of 70's technology...and the attendant service and operational troubles which that includes.

I never regretted ultimately passing on the HD. Now, I later seriously considered an Indian Dark Horse. Not so happy I passed there. BUT, I DO love my '15 Matte Silver Deluxe...albeit for different reasons than I would have loved the DarkHorse.

The one thing I WILL grant is that the H-D audio electronics are indeed much better than Honda. This is because Honda introduced the current audio pack back when?....2002?...somewhere in there. And, they've sat on their butts and not done a thing in that arena since. They've been passed up over time...and they don't care. The recent troubles that many of us have had of late with regard to the iPod/iPhone-to-USB interface are a prime example of this apathy.

Not only has Honda sat around with their craniums inserted rectally....but when approached about this issue, they brush it off and make all sorts of accusations in an attempt to dodge the matter and create subterfuge. Anything to avoid having to actually do something about it.

While I love my F6, Honda needs to make a serious decision about whether they still want to play with the big boys.....or just become an industry joke in much the same way as Bose has become in the world of Consumer Audio. And if they decide to fall off the fence in the proper direction, they need to make it retrofit-able. Because there are a number of us that feel we have been ignored and lied to and are still waiting to get everything for which we have paid.

....sT

taxfree4
06-24-2016, 02:50 AM
So So True an alot of HD owner,s are having leaking problems with the new heads

If you take the lowers off you can reduce the operating temp 12-15 degrees, geniuses. My buddy just bought a Victory Vision having the same heat issue. He even took a test ride on an F6B, loved it, but couldn't bring himself around to buying a Honda. Form over function will come back to burn you every time.

dickiedeals
06-24-2016, 03:01 AM
The one thing I'd like to say about the Harley's is they are years ahead in throttle technology.They been using fly by wire for years. They are far ahead of the rest of the manufactures on this one.. That's the only real negative I've found my F6B...Throttle cables, Really, talk about dinosaurs, come on Japan get your shit together with fly by wire like the rest of the world. I do miss the fly by wire and cruise control....That being said I'd never go back just for the superior throttle control..I love the F6B power and now the handling since I installed tapered neck bearings......................Dickie

3Chief
06-24-2016, 03:20 AM
A co-worker of mine has one of these CVO Ultra whatever's. He had one of the first ones from what it sounds like. 20K and the counter weight came off it's taper on the crank, conveniently they claimed it was wear and tear and wouldn't honor his warranty. Wouldn't give him squat on a trade in, so he ended up paying a hefty price for a new motor.

Jimmytee
06-24-2016, 03:36 AM
The one thing I'd like to say about the Harley's is they are years ahead in throttle technology.They been using fly by wire for years. They are far ahead of the rest of the manufactures on this one.. That's the only real negative I've found my F6B...Throttle cables, Really, talk about dinosaurs, come on Japan get your shit together with fly by wire like the rest of the world. I do miss the fly by wire and cruise control....That being said I'd never go back just for the superior throttle control..I love the F6B power and now the handling since I installed tapered neck bearings......................Dickie

There are quite a lot of other bikes with fly-by-wire throttles, just not the wings. I personally don't have a problem with the cables."coffee"

Hell, Harley only recently went to a hydraulic actuated clutch.:icon_rolleyes:

Jimmytee
06-24-2016, 03:41 AM

.21703 21704

The Harley's OEM stereo on their limited and CVO models is far and away better than the OEM stuff on our WIngs. The lower end Ultras and Street Glides etc.. are too, but not as good as the CVOs...etc...

My sound system sounds better, but yes it's all aftermarket. And no, equipment wise, I think I've got around maybe $1200 or so invested in mine.

taxfree4
06-24-2016, 04:30 AM

Took a Harley Dealer to small claims court, and won, ( he credited my account $400) because of the throttle lag on my 2010 Street Glide. Cables don't need software updates, you just change them after a very long yime.

shooter
06-24-2016, 06:41 AM

I was gonna say pissing on a bonfire , but we will go with yours.

shooter
06-24-2016, 06:45 AM
Took a Harley Dealer to small claims court, and won, ( he credited my account $400) because of the throttle lag on my 2010 Street Glide. Cables don't need software updates, you just change them after a very long yime.

+1 a thousand times over.

seadog
06-24-2016, 06:45 AM
Very impressive looking bike the wheels are the cats ass and very nice appointments until he started it up, it sat there and shook like a wet dog trying to get rid of the water. Not impressed at all after seeing that.

shooter
06-24-2016, 06:46 AM
They do shake hard at a red light. I don't see how anything stays bolted to it. When the wife sees one like that she laughs.

dickiedeals
06-24-2016, 09:11 AM
The Harley's OEM stereo on their limited and CVO models is far and away better than the OEM stuff on our WIngs. The lower end Ultras and Street Glides etc.. are too, but not as good as the CVOs...etc...

My sound system sounds better, but yes it's all aftermarket. And no, equipment wise, I think I've got around maybe $1200 or so invested in mine.

And it Should be for $45000.00....You can buy two wings with change back for that much if you shop the right place....Imagine the Stereo you could put on the Wing for 45 grand..................Dickie

shooter
06-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Since I was a young boy I've always had a thing for motorcycles. At the same time a HD has never blipped my radar. I see 20 of them sitting someplace I never glance at them. I like speed , power , handling , and chrome. Harley only satisfies 1 of those.

Penguin
06-24-2016, 10:03 AM
A co-worker of mine has one of these CVO Ultra whatever's. He had one of the first ones from what it sounds like. 20K and the counter weight came off it's taper on the crank, conveniently they claimed it was wear and tear and wouldn't honor his warranty. Wouldn't give him squat on a trade in, so he ended up paying a hefty price for a new motor.

Having worked as a tech at many Harley dealers, Harley-Davidson Motor Company DOES NOT like to cover warranty repairs. Sometimes the dealership would soak up the cost just to keep a customer. Agreed that Honda could improve on some of their technology, but I'll take my smooth, powerful, quiet, affordable and reliable F6B over any Ultra Classic. :thumb:

taxfree4
06-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Since I was a young boy I've always had a thing for motorcycles. At the same time a HD has never blipped my radar. I see 20 of them sitting someplace I never glance at them. I like speed , power , handling , and chrome. Harley only satisfies 1 of those.

I got caught up in it all for over 30 years till the day I rode my 2013 Road Glide Custom, with 4000 miles on it, to the Honda Dealer and traded it for my 2013 F6B and for the first time when I stopped at a light my nether regions didn't feel like I was mounted on a Weber Kettle. I still have to dump my Sporster 1200, can't get a decent price for it.

shooter
06-24-2016, 10:14 AM
Most people buy a HD for what it is not for what it does. Functionality is the most important. I like my bike to look good also. You can have both.

opas ride
06-24-2016, 10:39 AM
I personally would not own a Harley even if you gave me one...I would much rather ride the Victory or Indian if I was looking for a V-Twin. Had a couple Vic's and they were okay in many ways...As much as I love my F6B, I do agree with some previous posts that Honda needs to up-date the GW line soon as the technology is getting outdated...Front suspension is not so hot, electronics are old style, fuel injection system is dated, and sound systems etc. are old school...Personally I have no need for all the latest "whistles and bells" and am fine with my 2013, but rider mags today have claimed that the HD, Indian, Victory, BMW bikes are at least equal to, or surpassed, the Goldwing in many area such as rider comfort, wind protection, suspensions, throttle responses, sound/info systems, etc.,etc.....I am hearing rumors that the GW line will be up-dated in 2017/18 with many changes???....I guess we will wait and see....

robrm250
07-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I have a 2011 CVO Roadglide Ultra and a 2013 F6B,thought I would sell the Harley when I bought the F6b but just have not been able to do it.Like everyone else I have a bunch of Harley buddies and the thing sure looks nice,my wife likes it because of the trunk also.I like the precision of the F6b but like the 6 speed plus stereo and cruise when going on long trips of the CVO.I am 6"2 and they both fit me but a regular goldwing is to cramped.They have both been bullet proof and when it is just me 75 percent F6B plus wind management superior plus feels a little funner to hit curves on.I love it being all black hose it off after riding and no chrome to spend hours cleaning.If the wife stops riding probably will keep the wing if not will probably sell it soon,too much room being taken up by 2 big bikes plus my boss and everyone at work are Harley riders which gets me paid days off to ride.