PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to Hide a Tile

YikesCops
06-27-2016, 06:32 AM
Got a 4 pack of Tiles, which are Bluetooth locator devices. (https://www.thetileapp.com/?opt=SEM&gclid=CNfQgt6NyM0CFcUmhgod8mwPig&gclsrc=aw.ds) Think poor-man's Lojack for your stuff. I'm going to hide one on my B, and if stolen will let me know where it is.

Question: Where is the best place to hide a tile? It's about 1.5" x 1.5" x .10"

Steve 0080
06-27-2016, 06:43 AM
Under air filter cover........NO ONE would look there!!! Unless of course they had an extra 3 hours to spend !!!

cruzdog954
06-27-2016, 06:57 AM
Got a 4 pack of Tiles, which are Bluetooth locator devices. (https://www.thetileapp.com/?opt=SEM&gclid=CNfQgt6NyM0CFcUmhgod8mwPig&gclsrc=aw.ds) Think poor-man's Lojack for your stuff. I'm going to hide one on my B, and if stolen will let me know where it is.

Question: Where is the best place to hide a tile? It's about 1.5" x 1.5" x .10"

What would be the purpose of hiding this "tile" in your F6B? It is not a cellphone, it is a bluetooth device. That means that your phone will tell you where you bike is once it reestablishes connection with that tile via bluetooth - or within 100 feet.

stroguy
06-27-2016, 07:45 AM
Bluetooth is a short range device and it would have to be blind luck to have your bike stolen and then be near another Tile app user. Save your money and make sure your insurance coverage is up to date.

YikesCops
06-27-2016, 07:48 AM
What would be the purpose of hiding this "tile" in your F6B? It is not a cellphone, it is a bluetooth device. That means that your phone will tell you where you bike is once it reestablishes connection with that tile via bluetooth - or within 100 feet.

Tiles are able to report their location to others in the Tile network. So, if somebody steals my B, I report it as lost, it should start reporting it's location. That's when I go over their, beat the crap out of whomever stole it, and ride home with a smile on my face. See video below.

https://youtu.be/J0z3fSo3XmY

Slammd
06-27-2016, 05:09 PM
Tiles are able to report their location to others in the Tile network. So, if somebody steals my B, I report it as lost, it should start reporting it's location. That's when I go over their, beat the crap out of whomever stole it, and ride home with a smile on my face. See video below.

https://youtu.be/J0z3fSo3XmY

Of course this only works if Tile is prevalent in any given area. If everyone had Tile like people have iPhones, I'd say yeah. Otherwise, your bike may be in the chop shop before you even realize it's gone. On the other hand, I can see where this would help you in the case of misplacing your B. :crackup:

zeus661
06-27-2016, 07:32 PM
I thought the way a Tile works is someone has to be about 100 feet from the Tile and have the Tile App. And only then can you get an idea where the Tile is. So what are the odds that if the bike is taken that someone with the Tile App will be that close to it?

Am I not right?

YikesCops
06-27-2016, 08:37 PM
I thought the way a Tile works is someone has to be about 100 feet from the Tile and have the Tile App. And only then can you get an idea where the Tile is. So what are the odds that if the bike is taken that someone with the Tile App will be that close to it?

Am I not right?

I think you are right. Devices running Tile Apps need to be running in order for the Tile/bikes to be located. That said, and as I said, it's a poor man's Lojack, I won't expect to always work. However, < $20 worth a try.

BTW, I put the tile strapped next to my battery. That way, I can replace it each time I replace the battery. Each has about the same life.

Steve 0080
06-27-2016, 10:17 PM
For $20 who cares !!!! I would do it !!!

YikesCops
06-28-2016, 05:06 AM
For $20 who cares !!!! I would do it !!!

Exactly!

unsub
07-07-2016, 08:10 AM
YikesCops!

Would you have numbers on how many people belong to the tile network nation wide and in your area, and where the largest mass of users is?

The idea sounds interesting to me.

YikesCops
07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
YikesCops!

Would you have numbers on how many people belong to the tile network nation wide and in your area, and where the largest mass of users is?

The idea sounds interesting to me.

Depends on where you are. I typically see 1,000+ "Tilers" nearby in the burbs on the app. That's the limitation, somebody who is running the Tile app needs to be near in order to report the GPS location back to you. If they take it to the sticks, you may be SOL.

I did put one in my truck, and tracked it when loaned it to a friend. It reported the location after an hour or so, I suspect when somebody drove by with the Tile app loaded.

unsub
07-08-2016, 05:46 AM
I guess the intended purpose is the best use for it, but who knows maybe the developers will build on the idea in the next few years with nanotechnology.