PDA

View Full Version : Hauling in a pick-up

xman
06-27-2016, 10:01 AM
Good Day To All:

Its been awhile since I have been active on any time of forum so having said that I am getting back into it a bit. I will be at the Annual F6B Rally this year, after all its only a few hours from me and YES they have beautiful roads to ride in that area for sure... I do have a question and that is:: Has anyone ever hauled your F6B using the bed of your truck? And if so possible you could provide a picture or two or explain if this is a good or bad idea. I have a 2015 Ford F-150 and the bed is long enough and I do plan on building some type of platform so that the rear tire is not sitting on the tailgate. My concern is securing the front with tie downs. I see where members come up from the bottom of the fairing to secure the front however, in a pick-up the tie downs are at such a sharp angle this will never work.. Is there a alternate way to secure the front with out going under the fairing? I would like to Thank you in advance for any and all help you maybe able to provide.

Joe

Greg O
06-27-2016, 10:26 AM
This bike is very long, I personally would rent a motorcycle trailer, they are pretty reasonable to rent.

53driver
06-27-2016, 10:45 AM
If you don't have a mounted front tire chock to anchor the little girl - I wouldn't even think about it.
But, I'm kinda over-protective of my lil' gal.

shooter
06-27-2016, 12:00 PM
If you don't have a mounted front tire chock to anchor the little girl - I wouldn't even think about it.
But, I'm kinda over-protective of my lil' gal.

No you're not. You're just smarter than some people. People that haul a bike without a good chock are just an accident waiting to happen. I wouldn't haul it in a truck bed. That's an accident waiting to happen also. The loading and unloading probably. That may not be what the OP wants to hear but its the best advice you will get. Like was said above , rent a trailer.

opas ride
06-27-2016, 01:49 PM
Having had a accident a while back trying to haul a heavy bike in the rear bed of a Ranger truck, I would listen to those that have posted, and rent a motorcycle trailer, perhaps an enclosed one just to be safe and avoid road debris and rain....JMHO....

Dave Ritsema
06-27-2016, 01:57 PM
I have seen several mishaps loading/unloading bikes in or out of a pick up truck. If I had to transport my bike I would only use a trailer. The U-haul bike specific trailers are well designed and relatively cheap to rent. If your only a few hours away from the event the time and risk you take trying to get that bike in and out of your truck isn't worth the effort, if that were my two choices I would ride it there. (IMHO of course)

fast eddie
06-27-2016, 02:03 PM
It's tempting and can be done, but so can txting and drinking while driving . Why take the chance. I put 200lbs dirt bikes all the time but a $20,000 , 800 lbs wing not the best idea. Good luck hope you're not blurb on You Tube

Felloverboard
06-27-2016, 02:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDxj3vPOJKw

xman
06-27-2016, 02:55 PM
That video is so funny.. Love it... I won't be using any of those methods for sure... As for loading and un-loading there is a ditch I back in and its a straight drive onto the bed, its the same level.. After reading the comments not sure I will attempt it at all. Strapping it in is the main problem I believe I will have.. As for a trailer, you guys make very strong points for sure, I may have to just do that.. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to future conversations. Joe

rdeady
06-27-2016, 03:16 PM
I put my fatboy in shortbed pickup several times As well as some sport bikes. I would not try it with this beast as its to long . I only did it because i have a built up front lawn so im only 10" off ground with barely any angle going in or out.

Dave Ritsema
06-27-2016, 04:02 PM
That video is so funny.. Love it... I won't be using any of those methods for sure... As for loading and un-loading there is a ditch I back in and its a straight drive onto the bed, its the same level.. After reading the comments not sure I will attempt it at all. Strapping it in is the main problem I believe I will have.. As for a trailer, you guys make very strong points for sure, I may have to just do that.. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to future conversations. Joe

One of the mishaps I witnessed, the guy had the ditch you described at home, well that same ditch did not exist where he wanted to unload it. Watched a beautiful Valkyrie Interstate tip off the ramp halfway down, only by the grace of GOD did the guy not get crushed underneath it. Very significant damage occurred to the bike.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-27-2016, 04:26 PM
If you load a bike into a Pickup bed PLEASE WEAR YOUR HELMET!!! If it goes wrong it is a long way down to the ground and many steel truck parks to bang your head on while on the way to the ground.

I move bikes for folks from time to time and have had to pick up ones that hit the ground. If done correctly with the proper ramp and truck bed size and wheel chock there is no problem BUT when it goes bad it usually hurts!!!

F6Dave
06-27-2016, 07:04 PM
About 20 years ago I had to take my BMW R-100 GS to a dealer for transmission work. I only had a little Toyota 'Hi-Lux' pickup at the time. Luckily, my back yard had some terraces (built with railroad ties) that were about the same height as the truck bed. I was able to drive the bike straight into the bed without a ramp. At the dealership, they had a proper ramp and several guys to help unload.

With a bike as heavy and long as the F6B I'd never try that, even with the F150 I now own. That's why I bought an enclosed trailer. Not only is it a good transport, but it gave me an extra garage so I could buy another bike!

3Chief
06-27-2016, 08:00 PM
If you have a real truck (aka an 8ft bed 3/4 ton or better) you shouldn't have any issues. Is it ideal? No, it's the load/unload that sucks, especially with the height of most truck beds nowadays but if you have a place to back up to too ride the bike in or some other way of shallowing the angle of the ramp it's easily doable.

Use to see full dressers in the back of trucks all the time, yes mostly Harleys, but with the popularity of short bed trucks/lifted trucks today the practice has fallen to the way side.

YikesCops
06-27-2016, 08:28 PM
+1 on the "don't try it" advice. I have a good ramp, and an F150, it was the scariest thing to drive my VTX 1800R up into the bed. I did it once, and went to get an enclosed trailer. Useful for transport, and storage.

If you're going to do it, you need a wheel chalk. Tie the bike down on at lest 4 independent points using 4 good scraps. Don't use the engine guards on the B, they will bend. Use the forks in the front, the frame in the back. Watch the plastic, the stuff breaks in a second. Check the load and straps an hour into the trip to look for slippage.

Tie it down tight enough so the bike does not slide, but not too tight that you stress the suspension. The truck will handle differently, need to slow down on the turns.

Good luck.

xman
06-28-2016, 09:26 AM
This is all great advice and I understand all of it. Having said that I managed to build a platform for the bike to rest on, the reason I did this is because I didn't want the rear tire to sit directly on the tailgate, the platform teeter totters about an inch. Now last night I decided (with my neighbors help of course) to load it in the back of the truck---I know I know I hear you all,, but loading it with the ditch method was way to easy, First off the platform I built worked PERFECT, once the bike got in the bed and on the platform it did exactly what I wanted it to do basically keeping the rear tire off the gate, there is about a inch clearance between the tire and the tailgate, as for securing it, well thats another whole issue I am working with. While the bike was positioned in the bed I marked where I need to place the chalk block, good to go.. Now strapping the rear in is easy enough its the front I am concerned with---My only option is to mount EYE BOLTS into the platform itself in order to secure it.. Now comes the point where the platform could move, well I already installed eye bolts on the sides of the platform to secure it to the bed,, I am on a role with this project however, not sure I will actually use it--it filled up the bed of the truck pretty good and yes we all know the weight of the F6B is over 800 pounds and with a 1/2 ton truck its a bit worrisome.. I will continue with the project and once complete will post a few pics and go from there.. As always, Thank you all for your advice and keep the comments coming if you feel the need. Joe

opas ride
06-28-2016, 09:30 AM
Your choice and I wish you success...but, IMHO a bad choice!!!...Why take the risk is my question..The truck you have will easily pull an enclosed trailer and mostly eliminate all the hassle.....Ride safe

DMAGOLDRDR
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
This is all great advice and I understand all of it. I will continue with the project and once complete will post a few pics and go from there.. As always, Thank you all for your advice and keep the comments coming if you feel the need. Joe

Please keep in mind you are working under idea conditions at your home. Where do you plan to unload the bike ??? is there another ditch or bank to back up to, or will you have a wide ramp to back down?
Another tip for unloading is to put the bike in gear (NOT RUNNING) and pull in the clutch as you back down a ramp. The reason is if you only use the front brake your front tire may slide. But having the bike in gear and using the clutch to hold back you will have better traction to stop if needed. Also make sure your ramp is wide enough for both feet to be solid on the ramp as you back down.
Please test your loading and unloading procedure while you are still home and become comfortable with it!!!

53driver
06-28-2016, 10:11 AM
Seen so many bikes on the back of pickup trucks en route to and from Daytona.
Even if they are securely tied down and not moving - and some of them weren't - there's still one thing not accounted for that an enclosed trailer can give you:

Cracked and broken windscreens from rocks and debris flying over the pickup and nailing the windscreen on the bike.
One in every 10 or so bikes I see in the pickup bed seems to have that issue.

I take a rock cracking the windscreen while riding, I'm thinking "damn, glad that wasn't my helmet/face."
I break my windscreen while transporting? That's a waste of money.

Cheers,
Steve

Felloverboard
06-28-2016, 11:08 AM
You can get a 5 x 10 yard trailer with a gate that lays down for about $1,000. seems a whole lot safer and still economical. Put a bike cover or tarp on the bike when hauling. If you drop the bike off a ramp loading into a pickup you are going to pay a whole lot more than 1k to fix it, and/or risk ins increases. Also you will have a 5 x 10 yard trailer to do many other things with.

xman
06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Please keep in mind you are working under idea conditions at your home. Where do you plan to unload the bike ??? is there another ditch or bank to back up to, or will you have a wide ramp to back down?
Another tip for unloading is to put the bike in gear (NOT RUNNING) and pull in the clutch as you back down a ramp. The reason is if you only use the front brake your front tire may slide. But having the bike in gear and using the clutch to hold back you will have better traction to stop if needed. Also make sure your ramp is wide enough for both feet to be solid on the ramp as you back down.
Please test your loading and unloading procedure while you are still home and become comfortable with it!!!

Above is the best information ever.. I never thought of putting it in gear and using the clutch to stop it,, I will be doing this for sure.. Still on the fence actually but I hear you all. Trailer is the way to go I suppose. Thanks guys (and gals). Much appreciated. Joe

terryboyle
06-28-2016, 04:04 PM
My concern would be what happens if I am in a collision and I have an 800 pound projectile behind me ready to come through that back window of my truck. The straps are not going to hold that in place. I'm a big fan of the trailer suggestion. My $0.02 worth.

JohnnyB
06-29-2016, 09:34 AM
My friend please don't even try that. First the F6B is a very long bike and a very heavy bike. Its just not worth it to try it. Just rent a bike trailer to save your bike and to keep you from getting hurt.

LeroyJaxson
06-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Make sure your tie down points are able to hold the weight. I used some 300 pound threaded eyes from ace Harare and bent two on a 500 mile trip. Both straps came off and the only thing holding up my bike was a condor wheel chock. No damage and my bike was about the same weight as the F6B.

xman
07-01-2016, 08:17 AM
It appears that you folks have gotten the best of me, ha ha. I have scratched the project and will haul her in a trailer.. I agree with everyone's comments, although i am sure it can be done I have the ability to use a trailer so that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any pics of where and or how you tie down the front end? I believe its under the fairing on the bars right? Just strap it in there.. Thank you.. PS: You can probably tell I have NEVER hauled it before with the simple questions.. Joe

Vondawg
07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Or tie down extensions over top of the triple tree bracket.
http://www.compacc.com/p/ancra-tie-down-extensions

xman
07-01-2016, 09:51 AM
That works.. Thank you so much, I understand now.. PERFECT... Joe

F6Dave
07-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Harbor Freight sells a good wheel chock at a very reasonable price.

Felloverboard
07-01-2016, 01:37 PM
It appears that you folks have gotten the best of me, ha ha. I have scratched the project and will haul her in a trailer.. I agree with everyone's comments, although i am sure it can be done I have the ability to use a trailer so that is what I am going to do. Does anyone have any pics of where and or how you tie down the front end? I believe its under the fairing on the bars right? Just strap it in there.. Thank you.. PS: You can probably tell I have NEVER hauled it before with the simple questions.. Joe

NO NO.... Don't quit now, we all want to see the end result when you springboard your bike into the truck.

Felloverboard
07-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Factory shipping tiedown method.

53driver
07-01-2016, 02:33 PM
Factory shipping tiedown method.

So, they use the front engine guards and not the rear bag guards. Interesting.
I've heard the rear guards will bend fairly easily.

Felloverboard
07-01-2016, 03:33 PM
So, they use the front engine guards and not the rear bag guards. Interesting.
I've heard the rear guards will bend fairly easily.

It looks like the seat may not be installed, not sure. Could be in one of the 2 cardboard boxes. Which may mean that they are able to strap over top of the bike without the seat ?????
Notice also that the side painted panels that say F6B are not on and able to be scratched on this pic.

3Chief
07-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Or tie down extensions over top of the triple tree bracket.
http://www.compacc.com/p/ancra-tie-down-extensions

Make sure you get the slack completely out of the extensions and that they're flat. I had mine come loose my last trip, got a little scuffing on my mirror from the trailer wall...could've been a lot worse.

And you can find the extensions at most Harley Dealerships...for some reason they sell a lot of them...:icon_wink: