PDA

View Full Version : Darkside and trailer towing?

ISLANDER1089
06-27-2016, 05:12 PM
Every summer since retirement I have taken a month in the summer and headed out on the open road solo. A few years ago I purchased an Aspen camper trailer which probably weighs around 500 lbs. when loaded. My first year with the trailer I was on a Harley Street Glide and needing a new rear tire I decided to try a car tire. I purchased a Michelin Primacy MXV4 205/55 R16. When I tried towing the trailer the trailer was wagging back and forth and was extremely dangerous over 30 mph. I played with tire pressures but couldn't fix the problem. I put a new motorcycle tire on and the problem was solved instantly. It rode straight as an arrow.
I have owned the F6B, a far superior bike, for the past three years and now I need another rear tire. I want to buy a CT but don't want to spend the money unless I can be sure that I won't have this problem again. Up here in Canada a Dunlop tire for the Wing is $270 with tax and a CT is half that price and lasts twice as long.
Does anyone have any experience or advice on what I should do? I also wonder if the Michelin 205/55 R16 would fit my Honda.

DMAGOLDRDR
06-27-2016, 07:05 PM
My first question would be,, how was your hitch tongue weight and tire PSI. I pulled a trailer with my Valkyrie Interstate (NEXEN car tire) and the trailer weighed over 300lbs with no problem. I would think you already know at least 10% of your total trailer weight is needed on the tongue for stability. Too little tongue weight will act as you described. Also I ran 35 PSI normally but would bump it up to 38 when pulling the trailer.

I still run car tires but now divorced and travel solo have no need for pulling a trailer with my F6B.

ISLANDER1089
06-27-2016, 09:16 PM
My first question would be,, how was your hitch tongue weight and tire PSI. I pulled a trailer with my Valkyrie Interstate (NEXEN car tire) and the trailer weighed over 300lbs with no problem. I would think you already know at least 10% of your total trailer weight is needed on the tongue for stability. Too little tongue weight will act as you described. Also I ran 35 PSI normally but would bump it up to 38 when pulling the trailer.

I still run car tires but now divorced and travel solo have no need for pulling a trailer with my F6B.

Thank you for replying. I have since mounted a large Pelican Cooler on the tongue in front of the camper so there should be more weight up front than previously. I had already tried shifting the weight within the storage area of the camper but couldn't get it to settle down. Would you recommend a "run flat" CT?

Steve 0080
06-27-2016, 10:12 PM
I have pulled a Bushtec for about 5K miles and no problems.... with both a CT and MCY/T..... I would think your issue is not enough tongue weight.

As far as a RF, yes they seemed to be preferred !!!

DMAGOLDRDR
06-28-2016, 06:34 AM
Thank you for replying. I have since mounted a large Pelican Cooler on the tongue in front of the camper so there should be more weight up front than previously. I had already tried shifting the weight within the storage area of the camper but couldn't get it to settle down. Would you recommend a "run flat" CT?

A Run Flat has a stiffer sidewall will give you a bit more peace of mind.

When checking weights, I use a bathroom scale. Set your self up in a nice level spot and about a 16in box or block to get the tongue at the normal towing height.
Roll one tire at a time onto the scale and then set the scale on the block and put the tongue on the scale and add the three together to get your total weight. Then keep positioning your load until you have at least 10% of the total weight on the tongue. as in... 500lb trailer, min 50lb tongue weight. Going over the 10% is ok but DO NOT over load your hitch max tongue weight. If you are getting close to the max then you need to look at lightening the trailer.

ISLANDER1089
06-28-2016, 04:45 PM
A Run Flat has a stiffer sidewall will give you a bit more peace of mind.

When checking weights, I use a bathroom scale. Set your self up in a nice level spot and about a 16in box or block to get the tongue at the normal towing height.
Roll one tire at a time onto the scale and then set the scale on the block and put the tongue on the scale and add the three together to get your total weight. Then keep positioning your load until you have at least 10% of the total weight on the tongue. as in... 500lb trailer, min 50lb tongue weight. Going over the 10% is ok but DO NOT over load your hitch max tongue weight. If you are getting close to the max then you need to look at lightening the trailer.

I like your suggestions. I plan to buy my CT tomorrow and now I have a strategy for getting the right balance between tongue weight and trailer.

choptop
06-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Have many miles towing my Bushtec w/my car tire F6b and no problems at 80 mph down the super slab. Have never weighed it, never checked tongue weight/percentage , will do that for Sturgis, with no issues.

ISLANDER1089
07-03-2016, 07:43 AM
Have many miles towing my Bushtec w/my car tire F6b and no problems at 80 mph down the super slab. Have never weighed it, never checked tongue weight/percentage , will do that for Sturgis, with no issues.
I just installed a Bridgestone Driveguard run flat tire (195/55 R16) aired to 42psi. It was a bit snug mounting the wheel and tire. I had to loosen the clamps and remove the one hanger bolt on the left muffler to get the clearance I needed. I have a motorcycle jack so I could raise the bike a foot or so off the ground. I first took the bike for a spin w/o the trailer and it was quiet and smooth. The tire dealer did not balance the tire because the wheel didn't fit his machine but it obviously didn't require any balancing. Next I hooked up my Aspen camper trailer and it rode as straight as an arrow down the freeway. I never bothered with tongue weights or adjusting the load. I would say that the tongue weight relative to the total trailer weight was well over the 10% suggested by another forum member. I am truly a happy camper now.

Steve 0080
07-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Glad that worked out for you !!! Try running the tire around 32 psi.

ISLANDER1089
07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Glad that worked out for you !!! Try running the tire around 32 psi.

Steve, is there a benefit to the lower psi? Just a softer ride?

Steve 0080
07-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Steve, is there a benefit to the lower psi? Just a softer ride?

I would not say the ride is softer at all...my reason is to get equal wear on the tire. The normal tire pressure of most mid sized cars is around 32 psi. Some now are higher due to smaller side walls. The wife's Edge Sport has a psi of 50. The tires on my truck 90. The psi generally increases as the weight of the vehicle increases or the side wall decreases. A CT on a MCY is generally carrying 1/2 or less of its ability. So when we raise the pressure, the tire now has a crown on it and the center of the tire wears out long before the outsides. On a RF the sides are much stiffer, therefore requiring less psi to hold up such a small weight. I am sure you have read where folks posted they are running 40 psi on a reg CT, generally this is caused by a sidewall of less strength. A lot of debate on the subject, I am posting from experience not a book or some phobia. YMMV. Just an opinion !

ISLANDER1089
07-03-2016, 04:24 PM
I would not say the ride is softer at all...my reason is to get equal wear on the tire. The normal tire pressure of most mid sized cars is around 32 psi. Some now are higher due to smaller side walls. The wife's Edge Sport has a psi of 50. The tires on my truck 90. The psi generally increases as the weight of the vehicle increases or the side wall decreases. A CT on a MCY is generally carrying 1/2 or less of its ability. So when we raise the pressure, the tire now has a crown on it and the center of the tire wears out long before the outsides. On a RF the sides are much stiffer, therefore requiring less psi to hold up such a small weight. I am sure you have read where folks posted they are running 40 psi on a reg CT, generally this is caused by a sidewall of less strength. A lot of debate on the subject, I am posting from experience not a book or some phobia. YMMV. Just an opinion !

Steve, that's an explanation that makes perfect sense. One of the benefits of running a CT is longer tread life so dropping the pressure to get rid of the crown is a logical strategy. I will drop the pressure to 32 psi and just keep an eye on the tread wear. I leave on July 11th on a solo trip that takes me out through the Dakotas down through Colorado, Utah and on to LA. After hanging with some good buds I used to work with at American Honda I head north up the coast to Portland, Oregon. My son and his wife live there and after a visit I point the bike east and back to Toronto. That should give me a good test of the new CT.
Hey, if you're interested, I do this every year and you can check out my trip blog at: http://monetbridge.blogspot.ca

Steve 0080
07-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Me also... never weigh anything on the trailer !