PDA

View Full Version : My sticky transmission

Old Ryder
07-01-2016, 07:12 PM
I am currently in the Blue Ridge Mountains and my transmission is acting funny. At times it gets stuck in gear going in a single direction. For instance if I am downshifting it may hang until I bump it in the direction of an up shift then it works fine. If I bump it with my foot and then get my foot out of the way it works much better. But if you are down or upshifting and leave your foot on the peg, then it sticks in that gear.

Anybody else have this problem?

BIGLRY
07-01-2016, 08:52 PM
how many miles on bike? Ever had any shifting problems before? Have you ever adjusted the shift lever height by moving shift lever on the splines of #12 or done anything with it other than shift? With the engine off, if you flick the lever in either direction, does it return to the centre position. This in any gear and also neutral?
Take a look under the tupperware and see if there is anything touching the shift shaft #12. Otherwise it sounds as if there may be a problem somewhere in the shift drum selector like at part #11 or the return springs #14. As you can see in the diagram below there are many parts to the shift mechanism which may be causing your issues.
http://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/schematics/schematics/honda/hon019/hm0614027060.gif

Old Ryder
07-02-2016, 05:07 PM
I installed a DHS shifter linkage. The purpose of the linkage was to eliminate the slop and make a tighter connection. That it has done-----probably too much.

I guess it is time to replace it with an OEM. There is one on eBay. Will a 2001 model fit?

BIGLRY
07-02-2016, 06:36 PM
I installed a DHS shifter linkage. The purpose of the linkage was to eliminate the slop and make a tighter connection. That it has done-----probably too much.

I guess it is time to replace it with an OEM. There is one on eBay. Will a 2001 model fit?Before I changed out the DHS linkage I would make sure the rod ends (heim joints) were clean and not sticking causing the issue. Maybe spray both of them with some carb cleaner or brake clean to be assured they are free and not hanging up. Also check the they are centered and have not become twisted and in a bind from a loose lock nut on the adjuster, they must have full rotation on their axes.http://www.dhsracing.com/Pictures/dhs-11252.jpg

:301: For those who have not seen it here is video of what the DHS shifter linkage does

http://www.dhsracing.com/Pictures/dhs-11252.mpg

Hornblower
07-02-2016, 06:53 PM
I am currently in the Blue Ridge Mountains and my transmission is acting funny. At times it gets stuck in gear going in a single direction. For instance if I am downshifting it may hang until I bump it in the direction of an up shift then it works fine. If I bump it with my foot and then get my foot out of the way it works much better. But if you are down or upshifting and leave your foot on the peg, then it sticks in that gear.

Anybody else have this problem?

I don't have this problem but I do have a question...are you 100% sure you are releasing the shifter fully after changing gears? What you are describing is what happens when you don't fully let the shifter return before shifting to the next gear. Sometimes, this happens when you are using different boots that you aren't used to. Any chance of that?

Old Ryder
07-02-2016, 09:25 PM
They are centered and straight. It took a lot of effort to get it right.

One thing I did notice today. The problem got worse with heat. In heavy traffic it was sticking all of the time in every gear. When I stopped forgot gas or lunch, it was fine for a while. Then back in traffic and heat, it started hanging again. On the open road at highway speed and back to normal. I am sue it comes and goes with excessive heat.

I make a conscious effort to keep my foot off if the shifter since this started. I am sure this is not it.

BIGLRY
07-02-2016, 09:49 PM
They are centered and straight. It took a lot of effort to get it right.

One thing I did notice today. The problem got worse with heat. In heavy traffic it was sticking all of the time in every gear. When I stopped forgot gas or lunch, it was fine for a while. Then back in traffic and heat, it started hanging again. On the open road at highway speed and back to normal. I am sue it comes and goes with excessive heat.

Humm I'm very suspicious of them heim joints...like they might be to tight and having an issue in their ability to rotate once they get hot and they are right next to the headers too.:shrug:

For sure putting an OEM set up back on will tell if they are the problem. If you reach down and twist the shaft between the heim joints do they rotate freely?

TailGunner
07-02-2016, 10:52 PM
The guys I ride with all went with the DHS linkage and had only one problem and it was caused by adjustment. It needs to be adjusted so that your foot isn't touching or putting any pressure on the peddal. We live in Socal so Dan did the install for us and redid my buddies adjustment. Might give them a call

maxrider
07-03-2016, 01:30 AM
I'm one those guys Tailgunner referenced to, I had a problem, exactly what Big Larry said the joint was loose and binding.

Dan in San Diego looked at it, and installed a new lock nut, problem solved.

Hope this helps you out.

maxrider
07-03-2016, 01:34 AM
This sentence from Big Larry, applied to my case:

Also check the they are centered and have not become twisted and in a bind from a loose lock nut on the adjuster

Old Ryder
07-03-2016, 07:11 AM
The linkage is not twisted, but it is much tighter and stiffer than the OEM. I thought it was suppose to be that way. I had this problem when I first install it, but I adjusted and tweaked it out and got it working. But with the heat, it has reappeared. Again, in normal riding there is no problem, but sitting in traffic (btw---note to self, "never go to mountains on July 4th weekend again") it pops up every time.

You have to grab and hold it firmly to twist the linkage.

Old Ryder
07-04-2016, 05:41 AM
I did not have a problem yesterday until I drove into city traffic and stop lights. I did stop to put on my rain gear and left the bike running for about 2 minutes and it hung in gear for every shift so I am now sure it is connected with heat buildup.i guess I will call when I get home tomorrow.

There is an OEM on eBay off a 2001. Will it fit? They look the same.

BIGLRY
07-04-2016, 12:10 PM
I did not have a problem yesterday until I drove into city traffic and stop lights. I did stop to put on my rain gear and left the bike running for about 2 minutes and it hung in gear for every shift so I am now sure it is connected with heat buildup.i guess I will call when I get home tomorrow.

There is an OEM on eBay off a 2001. Will it fit? They look the same.Easy to tell, look up a 2001 and the 2014 part numbers on line. Here is one of the sources I use http://www.servicehonda.com/ Just guessing, but I'd say they are the same

TailGunner
07-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Easy to tell, look up a 2001 and the 2014 part numbers on line. Here is one of the sources I use http://www.servicehonda.com/ Just guessing, but I'd say they are the same

Not the same

BIGLRY
07-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Not the same
Thanks Tim, I had not looked them up.

Old Ryder
07-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the information on the year compatibility fellas. Today was a straight shot home on the highway so there were no problems---not even once did it hang up. But as I was driving into the garage, I let out kind of quick on the clutch and heard a very noticeable "clank" from the bottom of the bike. If I let out easy, there is no noise, but every single time I do it quickly---it clanks!!!! There does seem to be some play from the shifter, but nothing more than when the stock setup was being used. Already had a shower and starting the grill, so I am not crawling under the bike today, but does this happen to any of your bikes?

Old Ryder
07-05-2016, 12:53 PM
They are sending me a new linkage at no charge. They acknowledge some issues due to a manufacturing problem with their supplier where they are pressed too tight before being riveted together. I am not the first person to have this happen. They are a great company to deal with. I will report back later.

jkelley
07-06-2016, 05:20 AM
Used to replace the stock linkage on Harleys with Heim joints because the stockers had a tendency to fall apart.
Some would start to bind as they got dirty so I would use a bolt and a drill with lapping compound to loosen them up a little. Made for much better shifting.

Old Ryder
07-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Got my new linkage yesterday and installed it today. The new linkage is much more flexible than my original. WOW--what a difference. The tranny shifts better than it ever has. Very silky smooth and not a problem to be found. I guess that was the difference. Life is good, once again.

53driver
07-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Got my new linkage yesterday and installed it today. The new linkage is much more flexible than my original. WOW--what a difference. The tranny shifts better than it ever has. Very silky smooth and not a problem to be found. I guess that was the difference. Life is good, once again.

Very glad to hear that it wasn't something internal!

Blotar
07-14-2016, 10:13 PM
I had it happen to me too. Downshifting to a stop the OEM linkage would lock up and I had to temporarily up shift to get unstuck. This occurred a dozen times between 35,000 and 45,000 miles. Now at 60,000 miles it doesn't seem to ever happen again. I am certain there was an 'edge' on the shifting fork that has found it's happy place.
Love this Bike!
Blotar:icon_biggrin: