PDA

View Full Version : helibars, throttle lock, and riding position

GaTeach
07-03-2016, 10:25 PM
I've had problems from the very beginning with my right shoulder. Later, my right wrist became affected. A couple of months ago, my right wrist was getting prickly and I was concerned that it was starting to feel like it might go numb.

I knew if I wanted to do this trip this summer, I knew I had to do something and that something was helibars. I'd seen them on JimmyTee and Ken's bike at the rally and I never in a million years thought I'd get them but....

After 7,493 miles on this trip, I feel great. My right shoulder doesn't hurt any more than my left shoulder which doesn't hurt any more than it would if I hadn't ridden all those miles. My wrist is not prickly, not feeling numb. Nothing.

The helibars weren't the only adjustment. Grant gave me a throttle lock and put it on SG when I went through New Orleans. While I didn't use it for extended lengths of time, it was enough to give my right side a break. I could stretch or relax. It made a huge difference. thanks! Blueverclear!

I have the stock seat and no highway pegs. My longest day was 714, but I did several days between 400-600. I very seldom change my riding position other than to move farther back on the seat. Every great once in a while, I'll point my toes outward.

Just perfect. It's amazing really.

Somewhere on the forum, someone wrote about using the passenger pegs to stretch. I tried that a couple of times and that was awesome. I could just never remember to do it.

The worst I felt was the couple of days after riding Pike's Peak and the Million Dollar and that was my fault. I was so tense. Terrible, really. All my riding coaches would've been disappointed in me on those two days!

I can't think of anything I'd change really. SG and I had a great ride.

blueverclear
07-03-2016, 10:45 PM
Really glad it made a difference on your trip. Its nice after a long stretch to be able to relax your hands and wrist for a while. Glad your home safe, I cant wait till September its gonna be great!

Jimmytee
07-04-2016, 07:58 AM
I've had problems from the very beginning with my right shoulder. Later, my right wrist became affected. A couple of months ago, my right wrist was getting prickly and I was concerned that it was starting to feel like it might go numb.

I knew if I wanted to do this trip this summer, I knew I had to do something and that something was helibars. I'd seen them on JimmyTee and Ken's bike at the rally and I never in a million years thought I'd get them but....

After 7,493 miles on this trip, I feel great. My right shoulder doesn't hurt any more than my left shoulder which doesn't hurt any more than it would if I hadn't ridden all those miles. My wrist is not prickly, not feeling numb. Nothing.

The helibars weren't the only adjustment. Grant gave me a throttle lock and put it on SG when I went through New Orleans. While I didn't use it for extended lengths of time, it was enough to give my right side a break. I could stretch or relax. It made a huge difference. thanks! Blueverclear!

I have the stock seat and no highway pegs. My longest day was 714, but I did several days between 400-600. I very seldom change my riding position other than to move farther back on the seat. Every great once in a while, I'll point my toes outward.

Just perfect. It's amazing really.

Somewhere on the forum, someone wrote about using the passenger pegs to stretch. I tried that a couple of times and that was awesome. I could just never remember to do it.

The worst I felt was the couple of days after riding Pike's Peak and the Million Dollar and that was my fault. I was so tense. Terrible, really. All my riding coaches would've been disappointed in me on those two days!

I can't think of anything I'd change really. SG and I had a great ride.

THe Helibars are not cheap , but hands downs the best addition I made to my F6B.

I have a throttle lock but I very,very seldom use it. What keeps my right hand from being fatigued is the Kuryakyn Iso Grips with the Throttle boss on the end. My hand never feels fatigued and the only reason I really ever engage the throttle lock is to free my right hand for a moment for reaching or manipulationg something like a stubborn zipper that might need both hands for example.