PDA

View Full Version : 3 dealerships and no luck yet on a trade in

MikeF
07-06-2016, 07:27 AM
My current ride is a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage but ever since the F6B was introduced, somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking about it. I contacted 3 dealers in the past couple of weeks. Dealer 1, a local shop told me they have no market for my Indian and wouldn't take it in trade. Dealer 2, out of state and no reply to my request. Dealer 3, out of state and a Honda/Indian dealer, no reply to my request. Crazy that there are new 2013,14,15,16's F6B's out there and yet there isn't a market for a 2015 Indian? Looks like I'll be keeping my Indian for awhile!

F6B1911
07-06-2016, 07:33 AM
Hopefully, there's a dealer near that sells both Honda and Indian, that would be you best option??
Did you call Honda East?

MikeF
07-06-2016, 07:42 AM
Hopefully, there's a dealer near that sells both Honda and Indian, that would be you best option??
Did you call Honda East?

Yep. I contacted them through the web, received an automated response and that was all.

Steve 0080
07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
We had a board member who was trying to decide between an Indian and a F6, looks like he made the right choice !!!

MikeF
07-06-2016, 08:18 AM
We had a board member who was trying to decide between an Indian and a F6, looks like he made the right choice !!!

If the right choice is 3 year old new motorcycles selling for upwards of 6000.00 less than what the MSRP was then I guess so.

Old Ryder
07-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Yep. I contacted them through the web, received an automated response and that was all.

I promise if you talk to a salesman and they sniff a sale, they will not leave you alone if a deal can be done. Talking thru a key board is not as effective.

MikeF
07-06-2016, 09:00 AM
I promise if you talk to a salesman and they sniff a sale, they will not leave you alone if a deal can be done. Talking thru a key board is not as effective.

I'm sure you're right. That'll be next

Travelor
07-06-2016, 09:04 AM
My current ride is a 2015 Indian Chief Vintage but ever since the F6B was introduced, somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking about it. I contacted 3 dealers in the past couple of weeks. Dealer 1, a local shop told me they have no market for my Indian and wouldn't take it in trade. Dealer 2, out of state and no reply to my request. Dealer 3, out of state and a Honda/Indian dealer, no reply to my request. Crazy that there are new 2013,14,15,16's F6B's out there and yet there isn't a market for a 2015 Indian? Looks like I'll be keeping my Indian for awhile!

Have you tried Englehart Motorsports in Madison, WI? They are a big dealer of both brands (including others).

MikeF
07-06-2016, 09:13 AM
Have you tried Englehart Motorsports in Madison, WI? They are a big dealer of both brands (including others).

I never heard of them I'll look em' up. Thanks!

Greg O
07-06-2016, 12:09 PM
Mike, bought mine at Cedar Creek Motor sports just outside of Milwaukee, they had all types of used bikes on the floor, and they gave me the best deal in the area.

stroguy
07-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Unless a dealership has a strong Web based sales strategy they typically won't contact you. The first nibble is the face 2 face. Once they get you in the door they have the first check box checked. You won't get far only sending emails. Go for a ride.

ths61
07-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Have you tried to sell it direct to the end customers (Craigslist, CycleTrader, Victory/Indian/Polaris Forums, etc.) ?

MikeF
07-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Mike, bought mine at Cedar Creek Motor sports just outside of Milwaukee, they had all types of used bikes on the floor, and they gave me the best deal in the area.

Thanks Greg! I'll take a look

MikeF
07-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Unless a dealership has a strong Web based sales strategy they typically won't contact you. The first nibble is the face 2 face. Once they get you in the door they have the first check box checked. You won't get far only sending emails. Go for a ride.

I suppose I agree with that. :yes:

MikeF
07-06-2016, 04:01 PM
Have you tried to sell it direct to the end customers (Craigslist, CycleTrader, Victory/Indian/Polaris Forums, etc.) ?

Not yet.

Jimmytee
07-06-2016, 04:50 PM
I know it would be quite a drive, but the dealer I bought my F6B through takes all kinds of trades.

opas ride
07-06-2016, 05:05 PM

Back in the fall of 2013 I found only 1 Honda dealer in Michigan that would take my 2011 Victory Vision in trade and give me a decent deal. Everything worked out great even though the dealer is a 130 miles away , but turned out to be the best Honda dealer I have ever dealt with...BTW, I love my F6B....Ride safe.

jm21ddd15
07-06-2016, 06:37 PM

Yes, check them out. That's where I got my F6. They have a whole separate building for the Indian Line, at the same location. :yes:

Greg O
07-06-2016, 08:34 PM
I think Cedar Creek sells Polaris also, when purchased mine I know they were selling Slingshots, and I thought I seen Victory's and Indians, and I know I seen few used Harleys. They are about 125 miles from here. I told the sales guy that I wanted a new 2013 Deluxe in Black, and he said there were no new 2013 Black Deluxe to be had. I ended up buying a Black Standard for $12,997 + destination and assembly for $900 more, OTD $13,897. He had to get it from the Honda warehouse and it took 2 weeks for it to come in new in the crate. That was last year June 2015.

Ernht 3
07-06-2016, 09:03 PM
I never heard of them I'll look em' up. Thanks!

Another place to try is Nielsen in Lake Villa. They are fairly big and sell about everything.

anthony1969
07-06-2016, 10:00 PM

What are you looking for?I have a 13 with less than 2000 miles on it.im in Decatur,il.how many miles on Indian?i also am waiting on Illinois to get me the tittle.

shooter
07-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Dude , with all respect no dealer is gonna deal over the phone on something like that. You have a nice bike. Take it in personally so they can see what you have. Most salesmen aren't riders. They have no clue. Each dealership has one guy that is knowledgeable. When that guy sees your bike he will know how serious you are. I know it involves some time but it will work for you.

MikeF
07-07-2016, 07:23 AM
What are you looking for?I have a 13 with less than 2000 miles on it.im in Decatur,il.how many miles on Indian?i also am waiting on Illinois to get me the tittle.

Hi Anthony,

I'm leaning towards a 2015. My Indian has 1800 miles on it.

MikeF
07-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Dude , with all respect no dealer is gonna deal over the phone on something like that. You have a nice bike. Take it in personally so they can see what you have. Most salesmen aren't riders. They have no clue. Each dealership has one guy that is knowledgeable. When that guy sees your bike he will know how serious you are. I know it involves some time but it will work for you.

I understand what you're saying but I work everyday and don't have a lot of free time. Driving from dealer to dealer to dealer in my free time isn't what I want to do. I don't expect a " deal " over the phone. Call me crazy but what I do expect is the common courtesy of answering an inquiry that I send through a dealer website. Not hard to hit reply and say we're not interested in your trade or your trade is worth x and the price of ours is x..

MikeF
07-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Another place to try is Nielsen in Lake Villa. They are fairly big and sell about everything.

Thanks! I looked at them last week.

anthony1969
07-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Hi Anthony,

I'm leaning towards a 2015. My Indian has 1800 miles on it.

I sent you a PM

opas ride
07-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I understand what you're saying but I work everyday and don't have a lot of free time. Driving from dealer to dealer to dealer in my free time isn't what I want to do. I don't expect a " deal " over the phone. Call me crazy but what I do expect is the common courtesy of answering an inquiry that I send through a dealer website. Not hard to hit reply and say we're not interested in your trade or your trade is worth x and the price of ours is x..
I understand your frustration, but if your not willing to ride from dealer to dealer to show them the bike first-hand, and that your serious about making a deal, I doubt you will find much success...No offense, but it sounds to me like your really not ready to deal and are just shopping for now???...In any event, good luck in your plans....Ride safe

DMAGOLDRDR
07-07-2016, 12:34 PM
I understand your frustration, but if your not willing to ride from dealer to dealer to show them the bike first-hand, and that your serious about making a deal, I doubt you will find much success...No offense, but it sounds to me like your really not ready to deal and are just shopping for now???...In any event, good luck in your plans....Ride safe

+1

As a dealer myself (not motorcycle) I get e-mail requests constantly and almost all are just fishing for a deal and sending out a request to multiple dealers. Some even show the mass mailing list in their e-mail. And almost every one is a waste of time for me. Granted I may miss out on that .01% that does want to make a deal but I will have wasted way too much time on trying to answer the others. So I am also guilty of not making them a priority. Walk in or at least take time to call and show you have a real interest.
My suggestion is to at least call Dealers and speak with someone. A friendly voice goes a long way in our instant message world.

MikeF
07-07-2016, 12:54 PM
We all have opinions that's what makes us who we are. Thanks to those of you who pointed out a few dealers that I hadn't heard of. I appreciate it! Ride safe!

anthony1969
07-07-2016, 01:36 PM

I have bought and traded plenty of cars and bikes over the phone with various dealers.just the other day I made a deal with Woodstock Harley over the phone with a trade involved

Freddels
07-07-2016, 04:06 PM
What is it about the F6B that you prefer? Or better, what is it about the Indian that you don't like?

MikeF
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM
What is it about the F6B that you prefer? Or better, what is it about the Indian that you don't like?

My problem is I like ALL motorcycles, but I can only have one at a time. I bought 5 new Victory's from 2008 to 2014. The Indian is my first and there isn't really anything I dislike about it and I haven't ridden a F6B yet. There's just something about it that has had my interest for awhile now. In my mind the F6B engine and suspension would be smooth as glass.

Greg O
07-07-2016, 05:34 PM
The engine, the ride is so smooth, the handling is incredible. I rode my bike to work the other day, and few minutes before quiting I went to start it. My Co worker ask me why are you starting your bike, I said it takes about a minute to idle down,and I don't have to worry about it overheating because of it being water-cooled and it has fans. This bike could sit there all day running without a problem. The cleanablity of the bike is just awesome. No more polishing this and that, wipe it down with a damp rag and follow it with a dry one. Reliability, we'll it's a Honda enough said, very low maintenance. This is why I went from Harley to Goldwing.

shooter
07-07-2016, 08:53 PM
I have bought and traded plenty of cars and bikes over the phone with various dealers.just the other day I made a deal with Woodstock Harley over the phone with a trade involved

I have also. But it was with a Dealership and salesman that I had a relationship with. I.E. I had bought there before. I own an automotive shop. I get a half dozen or so requests for phone estimate of repairs daily. Its a waste of time. Sometimes said estimate takes 30 minutes to complete. You get maybe 5% of those to repair. Problem is very seldom does the caller know what is really wrong with their vehicle. Its hard to give a guy a price on his bike till you see it. His opinion of his bike and yours will probably differ.

anthony1969
07-08-2016, 10:45 AM
I have also. But it was with a Dealership and salesman that I had a relationship with. I.E. I had bought there before. I own an automotive shop. I get a half dozen or so requests for phone estimate of repairs daily. Its a waste of time. Sometimes said estimate takes 30 minutes to complete. You get maybe 5% of those to repair. Problem is very seldom does the caller know what is really wrong with their vehicle. Its hard to give a guy a price on his bike till you see it. His opinion of his bike and yours will probably differ.

When I call the dealers I send pictures of the bike or car.most of the time the know your not trading in junk or dented up.and also I always have warrenty left on vehicle.