PDA

View Full Version : Rim question

stevenolts
07-06-2016, 08:28 AM
I bought a rim and tire from Honda Russelville for the rear (silver) take off for trike build which has the rotor disk on the rim.

I bought a front sliver rim via ebay.

The question I have is when I go to mount this up very soon I will need to switch the brake rotor disks from the original rim to the replacement rim. Is this difficult or did you guys that have done this just buy new brake rotor disks for the front silver replacement rim. The rotor disks are expensive aren't they?
Steve

Cobraguy
07-06-2016, 08:59 AM
If the Ebay rim comes with rotors as long as the rotors are within service specs I'd not worry about it.

stevenolts
07-06-2016, 09:22 AM
The rim did not come with rotors.

shortleg0521
07-06-2016, 10:27 AM
The rim did not come with rotors.

You can just remove your discs from one rim to the other, just six bolts each.
I know the book says to use new bolts, I have reused them.
Also you can get a nice pair of wave rotors for under 180 bucs and use
them on the new rim.
Just another way to go.
shortleg

Steve 0080
07-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Red Lock-Tight....

BIGLRY
07-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Red Lock-Tight....
Correct Steve,
On rotors, Red Loctite Threadlocker is your friend. The reason Honda wants you to buy new bolts is because they come with their preferred brand of lock-Tight on them, but Red Loctite is perfect for this job if you want to reuse the rotor bolts IMO.
I do suggest cleaning off the threads to remove all the old green lock-tight you will probably find on them.
Be sure to torque the bolts to the proper spec and do so in a star pattern.
http://pi.roostin.com/images/items/900/LCT/LCT0002/X001-Y001.jpg

stevenolts
07-06-2016, 03:31 PM
If it easy and I can re-use the bolts then I will just move them forward.

Thank you,
Steve

grendl
07-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Hope this question is not considered a hi-jack but a question on one of the comments. Wave rotors? as good or better than the stock rotors?
Any hints on where these jewels might be found?

shortleg0521
07-06-2016, 07:15 PM
Hope this question is not considered a hi-jack but a question on one of the comments. Wave rotors? as good or better than the stock rotors?
Any hints on where these jewels might be found?

Just about any cycle parts house will have them listed.

blueverclear
07-06-2016, 08:59 PM
I would be really careful swapping rotors often. I've stripped out and broken rotor bolts on bikes a couple times and the fact that the factory uses red locktite tells me that those bolts are really not meant to come on and off on a regular basis or at least at every tire change interval.

stevenolts
07-07-2016, 06:03 AM
It would be every other so for the front that is about 36000 miles if things go like they have. But I may fall in love with the look of the silver rims and never switch back or I may not like the silver rims.
Steve

stevenolts
07-07-2016, 06:06 AM
I was hoping to go dark side on one of the rear rims eventually. I still have to go through the new pull of rear tire first. I want to keep both rims matched either black or silver. So if I decide to experiment with the dark side I figure I could put it on for long trips and not burn through the motorcycle tire so fast. While doing this I could experiment with the dark side and see how I like it. Either way it is always nice to have an extra set of rims and tires ready to go. I also am experimenting with the black versus silver rims.
Steve

stevenolts
07-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Having an extra set of rims will help me use up the last of a tire. If I am going on a long trip I can put the tires with least mileage on the bike and save the others that may only good be for 1000 miles for around town. Safer to have newer tires when out on the open road.
Steve