PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Lock

TruBlu
07-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Can anyone offer up some advise or personal experience with an aftermarket throttle lock for the F6B with heated grips, primarily brand / model number.... I searched one and found that it was not for heated grips!... THX

TruBlu
2013 F6B / black

Bighutch14
07-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Im looking at the omni-cruise. Its says it fits all sizes and has good reviews.
http://www.omni-cruise.com/

Patch
07-07-2016, 03:21 PM
I use Kaoko Throttle Lock. Works like a champ, Easy 5 minute or less to install and adjust, looks like it could have come from the factory with it.

Mfg PN HND31. It comes with two endcap plastic washers...one for bikes with heated grips, one without.

Similar products are Throttlemeister and BrakeAway. (around the same price range)

Install is a removal of your current end cap, press in the prongs holding the weight into the bar and remove, then push in the throttle lock, tighten the bolt til snug and use the small hex key to adjust the pressure. There are a number of less costly options that I've seen work with the heated grips, like Go Cruise, VistaCruise, Kuryakyn, crampbuster, Omnicruise, but not sure they were intended for use on them.

TruBlu
07-07-2016, 04:55 PM
these look like really good options... THX

RickJ
07-07-2016, 05:18 PM
I really like the Throttlemeister. Looks good, doesn't clutter the handlebars (they are a bar end replacement) beautifully made, can be adjusted while engaged, easy to override...way to go for me. http://throttlemeister.com/

bertrider
07-07-2016, 06:02 PM
I really like the Throttlemeister. Looks good, doesn't clutter the handlebars (they are a bar end replacement) beautifully made, can be adjusted while engaged, easy to override...way to go for me. http://throttlemeister.com/

+1 for Throttlemeister.

Davidk
07-07-2016, 06:43 PM
I installed breakaway. The reason that I like it is its ergonomics. I do not have to shift my hand on the throttle to engage or disengage it.

taxfree4
07-07-2016, 07:08 PM
I have used the KAOKO after trying all the others and find it to be the easiest install and its' ease of use becomes second nature.

edgeman55
07-07-2016, 07:46 PM
I installed breakaway. The reason that I like it is its ergonomics. I do not have to shift my hand on the throttle to engage or disengage it.

+1 works great and I like the way it will disengage with a pull on the brake if needed.422942304231

faz
07-07-2016, 09:23 PM
If I hadn't of gotten a 15 I would be looking into an Atlas throttle lock, great reviews.

smiley
07-07-2016, 09:59 PM
If I hadn't of gotten a 15 I would be looking into an Atlas throttle lock, great reviews.

Was interested in the OMNI but this is very tempting and simple to install.:tools1:www.atlasthrottlelock.com

ReserveBum
07-08-2016, 07:12 AM
One thing to watch for when using throttle locks that clamp down on the throttle is damage to the heated grip. I used a "Go Cruise" and my heated grips failed. Had to replace the grip....not 100% sure that was the cause but I tightened that throttle lock pretty tight and I am thinking that led to the failure

TruBlu
07-10-2016, 03:26 PM
exactly, go cruise clamps the electrical connection causing damage..

F6B1911
07-11-2016, 08:26 AM
I have used the KAOKO after trying all the others and find it to be the easiest install and its' ease of use becomes second nature.

+1
The Kaoko is better than the OEM cruise control.

2kewlgypsy
07-11-2016, 09:13 AM
My wife and I both use the GoCruise aluminum one that is adjustable. It can be used on different bars, and if it slips, you just tighten one click. When its new, I had to click it down a couple of times to get it right, rides on a wide rubber band, so doesn't mark up the grips (I have heated, with the clam shell design covers.
2~kewl

taxfree4
07-11-2016, 09:38 AM
+1

I agree, instead of clicking down or up one MPH at a time, for let's say a 5 or 10 MPH change, you get good enough to where you know the exact amount of travel on the throttle to get there in a split second. The biggest mistake I've seen people who have it and have problems with it is they try and accelerate up to the speed they want THEN engage the friction which is bass ackwards. The easiest way is to get around the speed you want, engage the friction, then adjust to the exact speed.

TruBlu
07-11-2016, 05:29 PM
ok what you and gypsy say makes sense. . .

Davidk
07-11-2016, 05:37 PM
+1

How is a mechanical throttle lock better than OEM cruise than can compensate for hills?

F6B1911
07-11-2016, 07:29 PM
How is a mechanical throttle lock better than OEM cruise than can compensate for hills?

The very minimal throttle adjustment required for hills, more than makes up for
no switches
no buttons
no electronics
nothing to fail

Davidk
07-11-2016, 07:41 PM
The very minimal throttle adjustment required for hills, more than makes up for
no switches
no buttons
no electronics
nothing to fail

I found it a pain in the butt to adjust for the hills. Perhaps it has to do with the severity and number of hills

MisterB
07-11-2016, 09:27 PM
I just got back from a long trip using the simple Crampbuster throttle control, while it certainly lived up to its name it sure feels like it will interfere slightly in emergency stops.
If I wipe out because of a fraction of a second delay due to the Crampbuster getting in my way then that's on me for being cheap on the wrong accessories.
Thanks for all of these suggestions.

BIGLRY
07-11-2016, 10:40 PM
My wife and I both use the GoCruise aluminum one that is adjustable. It can be used on different bars, and if it slips, you just tighten one click. When its new, I had to click it down a couple of times to get it right, rides on a wide rubber band, so doesn't mark up the grips (I have heated, with the clam shell design covers.
2~kewl
I run the exact same thing with the same heated grips and I love its simplicity, and ease of use.

bgd8rd
07-11-2016, 10:50 PM
I have a brand new never opened BreakAway Cruise Control that will fit the F6B non-heated grips, 7CP05. I'd be willing to sell them to whoever is interested. They retail for $179.99 but I'd let them go for $155. Let me know if you're interested.

bob109
07-12-2016, 06:56 AM
IMHO the Go-Cruise doesn't get any easier! Why complicate things when a inexpensive, simple device will "out shine" other "more complicated" mechanical throttle locks. With ease of installation and adjustment, the Go-Cruise does the trick. Some have experienced some "slipping" of the arm, but that is easily cured by thoroughly cleaning the "rubber band" with alcohol. I installed two Nitril O-Rings, one on each side of the arm which removed any lateral movement. That said the GC has worked flawlessly over the last three years.

taxfree4
07-12-2016, 07:34 AM
I had the GC and agree it is as simple as it gets, however, every time you accelerate you have to adjust the unit back down onto the brake handle to stabilize. Not a big deal but here in the city where speeds vary the fact that the KAOKO always has friction on it, whether accelerating or decelerating eliminates 2 moves to 1. Other than that it is as simple as it gets.

Elroy
07-12-2016, 09:32 AM
IMHO the Go-Cruise doesn't get any easier! Why complicate things when a inexpensive, simple device will "out shine" other "more complicated" mechanical throttle locks. With ease of installation and adjustment, the Go-Cruise does the trick. Some have experienced some "slipping" of the arm, but that is easily cured by thoroughly cleaning the "rubber band" with alcohol. I installed two Nitril O-Rings, one on each side of the arm which removed any lateral movement. That said the GC has worked flawlessly over the last three years.

Oooo the o-rings is a good idea to remove lateral movement. I'm going to have to try this, I was ready to give up on the Go-Cruise, and I'm using it with the Kury ISO clam-shell grips.

Where can you get the nitril o-rings and do they come in different ID, or are they stretchy enough to fit over the ISO grips?

bob109
07-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Oooo the o-rings is a good idea to remove lateral movement. I'm going to have to try this, I was ready to give up on the Go-Cruise, and I'm using it with the Kury ISO clam-shell grips.

Where can you get the nitril o-rings and do they come in different ID, or are they stretchy enough to fit over the ISO grips?

Here's the post on the Go-Cruise improvement tip:039:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?240-Go-Cruise-Improvement-Tip

Elroy
07-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Here's the post on the Go-Cruise improvement tip:039:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?240-Go-Cruise-Improvement-Tip

Thanks

BIGLRY
07-12-2016, 11:50 AM

2213622137Yep, same set up and had the same amount of time. The Nitrile O-rings are the way to stop any lateral movement. You can also get the O-ring in black if you prefer, but I like the yellow.:icon_biggrin:

snoobzilla
07-31-2016, 08:44 AM
2~kewl

I have same setup... love it.

Shadowaero
12-16-2019, 08:05 PM
Did your throttle grip look like this? How did you get the HND31 to fit?
I have a 2013 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe
The included instructions do not match my install. I did not see any mention that this would not work with heated grips.
Here is what my grip looks like. Old one is on right and is smaller than the HND31S. The hole in grip is too small for HND31S.

7096 7098 7097

zeus661
12-17-2019, 11:46 AM
I have the Atlas throttle lock and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/ATLAS-Throttle-Lock-Motorcycle-Control/dp/B07534F6R1/ref=sr_1_2?crid=218QA9JKYM1TT&keywords=atlas+throttle+lock+top+kit&qid=1576601168&sprefix=atlas+thro%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-2

StoichSix
12-28-2019, 12:16 AM
I also use an Atlas, top mount (due to heated grips) and it looks and performs well.

AlexAlex
05-19-2022, 03:32 AM
I use heated grips on my bike, it's handy especially on long rides, so I take the throttle under them too. Found some info on this recently, was looking for best speaker upgrade for street glide (https://allforharley.com/best-speakers-for-harley-street-glide/) and found how to choose the throttle.

taxfree4
05-19-2022, 07:46 AM
Did your throttle grip look like this? How did you get the HND31 to fit?
I have a 2013 Honda Goldwing F6B Deluxe
The included instructions do not match my install. I did not see any mention that this would not work with heated grips.
Here is what my grip looks like. Old one is on right and is smaller than the HND31S. The hole in grip is too small for HND31S.

7096 7098 7097

Here's a video I did for the hub extraction, bear in mind I had a 2013 Standatd but maybe this will help.

https://youtu.be/YbP95M6MSNY

Lcsix
05-19-2022, 04:57 PM
I've been using the same $20 throttle stop for 10 years on multiple bikes. It clamps on the grip and stops against the brake lever, easy peasy.

Rinconjoe
08-23-2022, 09:33 PM
does anyone know if the breakaway works with stock heated grips thanks

SpencerPJ
08-24-2022, 06:49 AM
My throttle lock looks like the Kaoko as yours. I also like it a lot. My heated grips work perfectly fine.

gadgeteer
08-24-2022, 06:51 AM
I remember a conversation with a friend who used to ride back in the 60s. His comment about all the "goodies" we have on our bikes today... "you guys are spoiled". My answer, "Yes. We enjoy all the goodies because nowadays we ride FURTHER AND MORE OFTEN"! :cool: