PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with riding in shorts?

YikesCops
07-09-2016, 05:11 AM
I know it's in the 90s, but there are a hell of a lot of guys riding in shorts this Summer. I saw one guy in flipflops. :shock:

Not that I'm that safety concerned, but it just seems like bad form. I ride in jeans, boots, and whatever jacket is needed for the weather.

Any of you guys do this?

jkelley
07-09-2016, 05:29 AM
I'm with you, all I can think about when I see these people is road rash.

53driver
07-09-2016, 05:58 AM
There are some here who do - check out the Ride section for pictures - and to each his/her own.
They have decided to accept that level of risk and go with it.

Personally, I'm an above average rider and will take an average amount of risk.
Boots, long pants, long sleeve jacket, FF helmet.
Steve

Paul B Blues
07-09-2016, 05:59 AM
It wouldn't be me that's for sure! When I came off my bike at 30mph I ripped a big hole in one of my knees. I was wearing my leathers and the road rash still cut a large hole in my knee.:yikes:

dickiedeals
07-09-2016, 06:13 AM
Road Rash!

JGF6B
07-09-2016, 06:29 AM
under my mesh riding pants.

Wing'n it
07-09-2016, 06:30 AM
I wear shorts at work so when I ride to work i'm wearing them, but it's only 12 blocks to the shop. Now other than that it's long pants for me.

wjduke
07-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Without a long boring speech...I'm for all the gear, all the time. What others do is their business, and would change if they had certain things happen. The key is to be ahead of that curve. I see it....I've lived through it...I don't get it.

willtill
07-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Bee's and/or wasps can find a way up your shorts, at speed. Not a good idea. At all.

Travelor
07-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Bee's and/or wasps can find a way up your shorts, at speed. Not a good idea. At all.

Squirrels too..............:shock:

Steve 0080
07-09-2016, 07:30 AM
I admit I will do it, but not very often. Maybe 2-3 times a year for a short run...it is over 100* and a heat index of about 115...it is tough. I had a young rider tell me he would rather sweat than bleed!

opas ride
07-09-2016, 09:03 AM

I am allergic to bee/wasp stings and can get in physical trouble real fast. Several years ago I rode in shorts just a "short distance" to the store and got stung in my crotch next to the boys and almost did not make it home before convulsions set in..NEVER again will I ride in shorts and I always remember to carry my Epi Pen....Ride safe

Vondawg
07-09-2016, 09:54 AM
under my mesh riding pants.
But never just shorts....too much bare body exposed

rock lobster
07-09-2016, 11:16 AM
[ Flip Flops,that could be interesting around the toe shifter lol:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Geronimo
07-09-2016, 12:09 PM
My carharts and duluth pants turn dang hot above 85, wore shorts a few times this year, tired of getting off the bike having sweated through my pants, like soaked through.

willtill
07-09-2016, 01:09 PM
My carharts and duluth pants turn dang hot above 85, wore shorts a few times this year, tired of getting off the bike having sweated through my pants, like soaked through.

Having sweaty balls is a given during summer motorcycle riding. :icon_lol:

Davidk
07-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Don't dress for the weather, dress for the fall.

SimonTemplar
07-09-2016, 01:27 PM
I will admit that 30 or 40 years ago...back in the days when I was still convinced that I was ten feet tall and bulletproof....I rode in town all the time wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Never even liked wearing sandals/flipflops, so that never happened. Away from town, I still put on jeans....but in town was another matter.

These days, I'm older, wiser, and infinitely more paranoid. Always wear jeans. Always wear at least a leather vest if not a leather jacket (depending on wx).

Like the man said.....'Dress for the slide, not for the ride.'

......sT

jm21ddd15
07-09-2016, 01:50 PM
I wear the hot gear, too. It doesn't matter how good of a rider anyone is, the fact is there are too many "dumb cagers" out there, and it seems like they are trying to run us down. Plus, the cagers are always on their dam cell phones! You can look right at them at a stop light, and think to yourself, "ya, I made eye contact with that driver, so I should be good", but they are too focused on those stupid phones, and not on us. They will turn in front of you anyway. :icon_evil:

GaTeach
07-09-2016, 03:56 PM
[ Flip Flops,that could be interesting around the toe shifter lol:icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Super easy. Trust me.

Bob Penn
07-09-2016, 04:48 PM
AAAhh admit it you old guys just don't have the legs for it anymore!!

Texas TC
07-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Ride in shorts all summer here in Texas. No flip flops. Never wear them anytime. :nono:

YikesCops
07-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Ride in shorts all summer here in Texas. No flip flops. Never wear them anytime. :nono:

With boots? That's a good look! :shock:

YikesCops
07-09-2016, 05:00 PM

I have great legs at 53, much better than 23. Thus, I want to keep them that way...no shorts. :039:

Steve 0080
07-09-2016, 05:22 PM

I leg press 1150 # 10X no problem !!! and .......

DMAGOLDRDR
07-09-2016, 07:06 PM
I can wipe off sweat, but I can't wipe off road rash!!!

3Chief
07-09-2016, 07:20 PM
I'll wear them on occasion to drop the bike off or something of that nature. Otherwise jeans and at minimum my draggin shirt. Flip flops aint happening...anymore..:shhh:

Texas TC
07-09-2016, 09:35 PM
With boots? That's a good look! :shock:

Well...it is Texas:039:
But more than likely athletic shoes. I haven't worn boots in years, since my dancin' days. At 68, those days are way gone:shock:

YikesCops
07-10-2016, 05:42 AM
Well...it is Texas:039:
But more than likely athletic shoes. I haven't worn boots in years, since my dancin' days. At 68, those days are way gone:shock:

Ah, that's better. Ride safe.

stroguy
07-10-2016, 09:43 AM

I don't wear shorts, but south TEXAS heat is murderous. My upper half is typically the shirt I am wearing for work that day. Know it's wrong but there has to be a trade off point.

Steve 0080
07-10-2016, 01:43 PM
Do you wear your helmet ?

shooter
07-10-2016, 02:09 PM
I can wipe off sweat, but I can't wipe off road rash!!!

Well said. Its hot and humid in MO. Real hot days are tough. I try to ride the back roads as much as possible. Lots of shade available on the road around here.

stevenolts
07-11-2016, 07:38 AM
If you wear jeans you might as well be wearing shorts if you go down. The jeans may protect from the sun, bees and the muffler burns but will do nothing for road rash.

I ride with shorts and jeans around the neighborhood occasionally but I am stupid. They always say most accidents happen with in a few miles of your home.

When I ride to work or on the highway I try to wear my Dainse mesh pants and jacket. Even in the heat / sometimes it is actually cooler on a longer ride. The hot air and sun will get you on a hour or longer ride. I have a hard time wearing the full face helmet in the heat. I bought a 3/4 with a full face screen that is almost tolerable and will provide some protection.
Steve

YikesCops
07-11-2016, 08:02 AM
If you wear jeans you might as well be wearing shorts if you go down. The jeans may protect from the sun, bees and the muffler burns but will do nothing for road rash.

I ride with shorts and jeans around the neighborhood occasionally but I am stupid. They always say most accidents happen with in a few miles of your home.

When I ride to work or on the highway I try to wear my Dainse mesh pants and jacket. Even in the heat / sometimes it is actually cooler on a longer ride. The hot air and sun will get you on a hour or longer ride. I have a hard time wearing the full face helmet in the heat. I bought a 3/4 with a full face screen that is almost tolerable and will provide some protection.
Steve

I wear Sliders. Agree with the lack of protection from standard jeans.

stroguy
07-11-2016, 10:32 AM

Steve

I always say that 99% of your driving is within a few miles of your home. Less than 1% of vehicle accidents occur outside of 4 million miles of your home. The moral is to drive more than 4 million miles from home.

BIGLRY
07-11-2016, 05:38 PM
GUILTY AS CHARGED:icon_doh:
Two block ride from hotel to dinner in Las Vegas and 115 deg heat. I had just rode 12 hrs to LV in 110+ heat in full leathers on my X and no way I was going anywhere without being cool.
Warning: I do not advocate nor endorse this type riding apparel.

Battoo
07-11-2016, 05:53 PM
I use to wear shorts ridng , i Do Not now , had a brother go down and he too was wearing shorts , skin and asphalt do not mix well , i know wear canvas over pants with my work shorts under

wjduke
07-12-2016, 03:45 PM
I agree about jeans not doing much, I have road rash scars to prove it, but...the rest of the gear made my injury list much shorter than an ankle and broken ribs.

Greg O
07-12-2016, 05:36 PM
What if I switched from shorts to man Capri's would that be better. I never wear shorts when riding, I am guilty of not wearing a jacket all the time,.and just wear a T-shirt.

53driver
07-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Has anyone had the occasion to "road-rash-test" the Duluth Firehose Pants?
I'm thinking they would offer way more protection than plain jeans, but I've been surprised before.....

If you're not familiar:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/workwear/fire-hose/work-clothes/fh-pants.aspx

stroguy
07-12-2016, 06:19 PM
What if I switched from shorts to man Capri's would that be better. I never wear shorts when riding, I am guilty of not wearing a jacket all the time,.and just wear a T-shirt.

You just might get banned.......unless you're from...............

Greg O
07-12-2016, 06:58 PM
You just might get banned.......unless you're from...............

What are you saying Stro. So would I be banned for wearing Chaps with no pants or underwear too. So much for that look.

stroguy
07-12-2016, 07:15 PM
You're gonna have to get some special permission from 53, the kilt master.

BIGLRY
07-12-2016, 07:37 PM
What are you saying Stro. So would I be banned for wearing Chaps with no pants or underwear too. So much for that look.Is this what you had in mind?:shock:
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/vinnie_spirit/pink-assless-chaps.jpg

Greg O
07-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Is this what you had in mind?:shock:

Ya, but in black. Black is more slimming on me.

Greg O
07-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Is this what you had in mind?:shock:

Can you say Flamboyant.

stroguy
07-12-2016, 08:59 PM
He must work out.

BIGLRY
07-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Can you say Flamboyant.
http://i.imgur.com/klJZFFg.gif

shooter
07-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Uh.........Greg , I'm not sure that look would work in Arkansas.

shooter
07-13-2016, 06:32 AM
He must work out.

That's not much worse than when you wore that leopard print thong riding your bike around the neighborhood. You thought that was gonna impress Susie Richter. How did that work for you? The only thing I saw happened from that is that you chapped your azz crack on that bicycle seat.

jm21ddd15
07-13-2016, 07:14 AM
That's not much worse than when you wore that leopard print thong riding your bike around the neighborhood. You thought that was gonna impress Susie Richter. How did that work for you? The only thing I saw happened from that is that you chapped your azz crack on that bicycle seat.
You guys crack me up! :icon_mrgreen:

stroguy
07-13-2016, 07:45 AM

So my wrastling career never materialized, big deal butthead. Susie finally did come around no help from you. She was pretty good with an aloe rub.

shooter
07-13-2016, 08:17 AM
Sorry to bring it up. I know how much you wanted that wrestling thing. I still remember that time you wrestled that monkey and almost beat her. You was the best in our part of town.

Greg O
07-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Uh.........Greg , I'm not sure that look would work in Arkansas.

Shooter it works here in Chicago.

shooter
07-13-2016, 08:49 AM
Hey , that's good buddy. Whatever you like is OK with me.