PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitches

Jimmytee
07-10-2016, 08:53 AM
WHat are some opinions on the best trailer hitches for the money. I've been looking at some from Value Accessories and Wing Stuff. Any thoughts about the vertical vs the horizontal receiver ? Value Accessories has a nice looking vertical one for $224, but niot sure if there are disadvantages to this one vs, say the one from Kury. that'S more like $300.

Travelor
07-10-2016, 10:27 AM
WHat are some opinions on the best trailer hitches for the money. I've been looking at some from Value Accessories and Wing Stuff. Any thoughts about the vertical vs the horizontal receiver ? Value Accessories has a nice looking vertical one for $224, but niot sure if there are disadvantages to this one vs, say the one from Kury. that'S more like $300.

I use the Rivco hitch, but there are some factors that may not make it the right one for you. I pull a CanAM RT-622 trailer which is about 100 pounds heavier than most others out there, so I wanted the strength of the Rivco attachment.

Pro's: Very strong, two vertical members go up to the main frame under the seat, 2 horizontal members extend forward and attach to the frame at the passenger footpeg points. Workmanship is very good, welded aluminum throughout, with a forged drawbar. Drawbar is detachable if you don't want it sticking out the back.

Con's: It's frankly a bitch to install; be prepared to spend 3-5 hours IF you have all the tools and shop facilities. When I installed mine, I found that the bracket replacing the stock bracket for the passenger footpegs needed to have a little grinding work done to fit properly; it was hitting a part of the frame casting and would not sit square on the frame bosses. Also, you must cut out an opening for the drawbar in the rear center fender. Not hard to do, pattern is provided.

Good luck with your selection, I think they all will do the job and you will have the pleasure and flexibility of pulling a trailer when needed.

cueman
07-10-2016, 10:28 AM
Take a look at Rivco. "batsmiley" cueman

Dirtstiff's F6B
07-10-2016, 10:41 AM
There was a prior thread that favored Bushtec hitches.
I have a Bushtec mainly because I also have their trailer. It's a vertical drop hitch and also a 4 point bolt on with u bolts around the saddlebag frame. It also comes with hitch ball, heim joint and lock.
Definately well made and engineered for a goldwing F6B.
Lighting harness is another Honda dollar bill.

Can't comment on the others.

Jim

Kdarmy
07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
How does installing a hitch and towing with the motorcycle effect any warranty issues / claims?

This is directly from the manual:
"Do not pull a trailer or sidecar with your motorcycle. This motorcycle was
not designed for these attachments, and their use can seriously impair your
motorcycle’s handling"

Seems to me that if I installed a hitch and then had take it in for an engine or drive shaft issue, it would be a sure way for Honda to deny and warranty repairs.

I've already had to deal with Honda on two different occasions concerning warranty claims and I can tell you that they were a PITA to deal with!

Keith

Jimmytee
07-10-2016, 12:55 PM
So the one thing that kind of bugs me with the Rivco is having the hitch come through the fender. ANy thoughts of ths. I have a lighted trim piece on the bottom of my rear fender that I really didn't want to remove for a hitch.

Travelor
07-10-2016, 01:12 PM
So the one thing that kind of bugs me with the Rivco is having the hitch come through the fender. ANy thoughts of ths. I have a lighted trim piece on the bottom of my rear fender that I really didn't want to remove for a hitch.

I don't think the Rivco hitch will physically interfere with the light bar but it probably block some of the light
Here is a picture of the installation.

Steve 0080
07-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Two weeks ago I took the Bushtec hitch of the 6 and put on my GL..... Love it !!!! Installing a LED light bar now on this !!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151008411909?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I still have the Bushtec trailer but it needs a new home... this will work perfect for just me !!!

F6B1911
07-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Two weeks ago I took the Bushtec hitch of the 6 and put on my GL..... Love it !!!! Installing a LED light bar now on this !!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151008411909?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I still have the Bushtec trailer but it needs a new home... this will work perfect for just me !!!

Are you going to move your license plate higher, or drive with the license plate hidden??

yellow rex
07-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I use a Rivco after reading many post on the Gl1800 forum.

Steve 0080
07-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Are you going to move your license plate higher, or drive with the license plate hidden??

I have no plans to move the license plate but I did add a light! Next thing you will want turn signals!

Cobraguy
07-11-2016, 09:06 AM
I have hitches on both 1800s. The F6 has a Kury horizontal receiver type. The 02 Wing has a vertical. I ended welding a square tube under the draw bar on the vertical to make it easy to use my Pack-it Rack. I prefer the horizontal to the vertical because the vertical is a PITA to do anything with.

choptop
07-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I have no plans to move the license plate but I did add a light! Next thing you will want turn signals!

Ordered my Carryall today, are those the plates he talks about for the lights?

Jimmytee
07-11-2016, 10:59 AM
I have hitches on both 1800s. The F6 has a Kury horizontal receiver type. The 02 Wing has a vertical. I ended welding a square tube under the draw bar on the vertical to make it easy to use my Pack-it Rack. I prefer the horizontal to the vertical because the vertical is a PITA to do anything with.

Thanks. That was part of what I was looking for. So you have been happy with the Kury hitch?

To those with the Rivco, so when you're not towing a trailer, you have that bar protruding through the fender? If not, how much of a PITA is that to remove and reinstall ?

Travelor
07-11-2016, 11:11 AM
To those with the Rivco, so when you're not towing a trailer, you have that bar protruding through the fender? If not, how much of a PITA is that to remove and reinstall ?
Not really a problem. If you are young and can reach under the fender while kneeling, you just unclip the safety clip, pull the pin and then slide the towbar out the back. If you are older like me, and not as flexible anymore, just lay on the ground to reach the clip and pull the pin. Only takes less than a minute or two once you have practiced it a couple of times.

Ixol Phaane
07-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Jimmy... I hope ya don't mind me jumping' in here with a related question...

How about the electrical connection... what's the best way to mount the bike-side plug receptacle for the wiring?
Anyone got a pic or two?
Thanks!

Jimmytee
07-11-2016, 12:23 PM
How much clearance between the towing bar and the rear fender? I have a LED tail /brake light in a chrome piece at the bottom of my fender .

Travelor
07-11-2016, 02:42 PM
How much clearance between the towing bar and the rear fender? I have a LED tail /brake light in a chrome piece at the bottom of my fender .

1" clearance at the top of the drawbar (where it goes through the fender) and almost 2" near the bottom of the fender. Hope this helps.

Jimmytee
07-11-2016, 06:51 PM
1" clearance at the top of the drawbar (where it goes through the fender) and almost 2" near the bottom of the fender. Hope this helps.

That does , Thanks:cheers:

Steve 0080
07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Ordered my Carryall today, are those the plates he talks about for the lights?

Yes, an additional $17...worth it if you want to add a light !!! I got a LED light bar from Tractor Supply for $34. Worked out great !!!

choptop
07-11-2016, 09:30 PM
Yes, an additional $17...worth it if you want to add a light !!! I got a LED light bar from Tractor Supply for $34. Worked out great !!!

It's 20.00 now. lol Should be shipped tomorrow.

yellow rex
07-11-2016, 10:44 PM
This shows where the umbilical cord plugs in for the trailer, all lighting control is built in the trailer. This is also a pic of my hitch.
22131 22132

Jimmytee
07-12-2016, 12:55 PM
This is what I'm dealing with and my concerns with clearances, especially with the Rivco.

stewy
01-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Last bike crashed, Looking at a B for my next, Is anyone towing a camper with the F6B? I towed a lees-ure light camper with my last bike, found myself shifting on the hills, Interested in hearing how the F6B halls. Posting here cause I don't see where to post new!

Thanks
Chris