PDA

View Full Version : f6b fork brace

lhomuth
07-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I have horizon LST bars on my 2013 F6B and I love them now I'm thinking of adding the F6B fork brace does anyone have an opinion on this if it would be helpful especially for two up riding ?

choptop
07-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Many have done it, including myself, did I notice a major difference, no, but that's just me, it has to make some difference and others have commented about it, do a search.

willtill
07-13-2016, 03:06 PM
To coin a phrase from Nike... "Just do it" :yes:

53driver
07-13-2016, 04:27 PM
If you noticed a performance increase in steering from the addition of that cross-piece on the LST bars, you should notice the difference with a fork brace in the same parameters.
If you didn't, maybe not.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve 0080
07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I still maintain "if it ain't broke why fix it"....JMHO on the fork brace issue.....

Greg O
07-13-2016, 05:56 PM
Get it, Superbrace.

opas ride
07-13-2016, 06:57 PM
I still maintain "if it ain't broke why fix it"....JMHO on the fork brace issue.....

++1 on this old issue...Works for some, others have no need....Your choice....

willtill
07-13-2016, 07:27 PM
++1 on this old issue...Works for some, others have no idea...Your choice....

Fixed that for you Opas. :icon_wink:

SimonTemplar
07-14-2016, 12:48 AM
To coin a phrase from Nike... "Just do it" :yes:

I've been considering it myself.

Which one (of the several available) does everyone think to be best?

....sT

willtill
07-14-2016, 05:55 AM
I've been considering it myself.

Which one (of the several available) does everyone think to be best?

....sT

I'm using Superbrace.. and they have a money back guarantee. You can't go wrong for trying it and seeing if you like it. I have heard of no one returning it after it has been installed. They're that good.

Old Ryder
07-14-2016, 11:44 AM
I bought mine directly from Super Brace---then found out Wingstuff has them a lot cheaper plus free shipping.

I could tell a difference before I got out of 3rd gear.

six2go
07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
I think I'm going to try a Super Brace as well as the Kury Mini Boards. I just have to decide if I'm keeping the "6" or moving on to another bike. I had a fork brace on my V-Strom and it did make the bike more solid feeling in the curves. Never had floor boards so that's kind of a crapshoot for me.

opas ride
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
I bought mine directly from Super Brace---then found out Wingstuff has them a lot cheaper plus free shipping.

I could tell a difference before I got out of 3rd gear.

Curious as to what kind of "difference"?? I rode a friend's F6B a couple months ago for about 50 miles on some straight and curvy roads and did not notice anything his bike did/did not do that mine without a fork brace did....Maybe I am missing something....Regards

53driver
07-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Curious as to what kind of "difference"?? I rode a friend's F6B a couple months ago for about 50 miles on some straight and curvy roads and did not notice anything his bike did/did not do that mine without a fork brace did....Maybe I am missing something....Regards

Opas,
I will tell you my experiences with and without brace.
First I keep my front tire at 40-41 psi - very firm.

With the brace, the feedback from the tire & front suspension through the handlebars was more uniform on both sides and the feeling was more stable under loading.
I had to remove the brace for a few days as one of the screws had backed out and I needed a new screw and some loctite. I reinstalled the OEM parts and immediately could feel the handlebars differently, almost like they were wiggling in different directions. Got the screw & loctite, reinstalled the SuperBrace and the feeling was uniform again.

If the front tire is below 38-40 psi, this effect may not come to pass - I do not know.
If you have Helibars or some other "brace" already going across the handlebars or forks, you may not notice either.
My Helibars just arrived and I'm pretty sure this will tighten up even more.

Cheers,
Steve

willtill
07-14-2016, 04:06 PM
I think I'm going to try a Super Brace as well as the Kury Mini Boards. I just have to decide if I'm keeping the "6" or moving on to another bike. I had a fork brace on my V-Strom and it did make the bike more solid feeling in the curves. Never had floor boards so that's kind of a crapshoot for me.

I also had a DL650 in the past with a fork brace.... HUGE difference on the highway... my Wee tracked straighter; especially when being buffeted by cross winds and tractor trailers.

edgeman55
07-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Opas,
I will tell you my experiences with and without brace.
First I keep my front tire at 40-41 psi - very firm.

With the brace, the feedback from the tire & front suspension through the handlebars was more uniform on both sides and the feeling was more stable under loading.
I had to remove the brace for a few days as one of the screws had backed out and I needed a new screw and some loctite. I reinstalled the OEM parts and immediately could feel the handlebars differently, almost like they were wiggling in different directions. Got the screw & loctite, reinstalled the SuperBrace and the feeling was uniform again.

If the front tire is below 38-40 psi, this effect may not come to pass - I do not know.
If you have Helibars or some other "brace" already going across the handlebars or forks, you may not notice either.
My Helibars just arrived and I'm pretty sure this will tighten up even more.

Cheers,
Steve

Your feedback comments are just the same feel improvement I felt on mine after installing the Superbrace.How someone cannot understand that with 900lbs before rider weight added that a brace would not improve the feel by keeping those fork legs from moving a little with road irregularities.Heck why do you think High Performance cars have a shock tower brace across the front-Not for looks.Oh well to each his own but I feel at the price it is a good investment.

opas ride
07-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Your feedback comments are just the same feel improvement I felt on mine after installing the Superbrace.How someone cannot understand that with 900lbs before rider weight added that a brace would not improve the feel by keeping those fork legs from moving a little with road irregularities.Heck why do you think High Performance cars have a shock tower brace across the front-Not for looks.Oh well to each his own but I feel at the price it is a good investment.
I am not suggesting that for some they do not work..but, a slight correction on the above. The F6B does not weigh 900lbs...Closer to 835 lbs. Some riders are very heavy, some not, I suppose on a GW, loaded for touring, the front forks would be more stable and a fork brace is good to have. I am not opposed to installing one and those that seem to notice some difference in the front end feel and that is terrific. I just am not convinced that I need one, and don't ride that aggressive to warrant the expense..I am very familiar with front stabilizer bars, etc. on High Performance cars as myself and my sons have used them on Mustangs, and 3 Mazda Speeds...but, not to beat a dead horse to death, as I said a while back, if you want a fork brace "go for it" and enjoy the ride....JMHO

willtill
07-14-2016, 06:21 PM
I am not suggesting that for some they do not work..but, a slight correction on the above. The F6B does not weigh 900lbs...Closer to 835 lbs. Some riders are very heavy, some not, I suppose on a GW, loaded for touring, the front forks would be more stable and a fork brace is good to have. I am not opposed to installing one and those that seem to notice some difference in the front end feel and that is terrific. I just am not convinced that I need one, and don't ride that aggressive to warrant the expense..I am very familiar with front stabilizer bars, etc. on High Performance cars as myself and my sons have used them on Mustangs, and 3 Mazda Speeds...but, not to beat a dead horse to death, as I said a while back, if you want a fork brace "go for it" and enjoy the ride....JMHO

Opas... For Keerists sake... just buy the Superbrace and experience the improvement.

You consistently present negative posts about them, though you have never used one on a F6B...

... just as those whom dislike car tires on motorcycles and never have tried them.

Audiochris90
07-14-2016, 07:50 PM
I watched the traxion gold wing video thats a few years old . Its on YouTube, it was before they ( traxion) made their own brace. In the video he recomended the kury. I don't know if superbrace was around then. The traxion guy said you should be able to notice it at very low speeds. Its was quite convincing. I just got my kury in the mail today. I plan on getting the traxxion forks and rear springs done in a month or so. The video was at a goldwing event. It was very informative about our suspension systems weaknesses. Having a cartridge on only one side is a ridiculous oe cost savings scheme.

willtill
07-14-2016, 08:12 PM
I watched the traxion gold wing video thats a few years old . Its on YouTube, it was before they ( traxion) made their own brace. In the video he recomended the kury. I don't know if superbrace was around then. The traxion guy said you should be able to notice it at very low speeds. Its was quite convincing. I just got my kury in the mail today. I plan on getting the traxxion forks and rear springs done in a month or so. The video was at a goldwing event. It was very informative about our suspension systems weaknesses. Having a cartridge on only one side is a ridiculous oe cost savings scheme.

Can you articulate further please?

Rudy
07-14-2016, 09:20 PM
I put a Superbrace on my 6B and certainly noticed a difference. It tightened up the front end and feels like it's on a rail in those long sweeping curves.:yes:

Old Ryder
07-14-2016, 09:51 PM

The best way I know to describe it is that it made the handlebars "tighter" even going in a straight line. If your tires are a little low over time you don't notice the sponginess in handling--you become used to it--then you air them up and you can feel a "crispness" in the way the bike handles. That is the best way I know to tell you. It is like the suspension got tighter and crisper. Not saying it was bad to start. Heck, I have changed tire brands and got a different ride and as was already mentioned, PSI in the tires change the feel. Riding somebodys elses F6B may not be a fair way to judge. What is their PSI set at? What brand tires or what is the rear shock set at? It is probably set up for their personal taste. Just curious though---did you ask them if they saw an improvement in their bike when they installed it?

Helibars claim the same sensation to a degree. I already had the Superbrace on when I installed the Helibars and I could not tell a difference. It may be that if I had the Helibars on first and then installed the Superbrace, I may not have noticed it then. You may not notice it at all. Everybody is wired differently. I will say there are few accessories that get ALL positive comments by those who buy them. Helibars and Superbrace are about the only 2 items that I don't recall ANYBODY putting on their bike and then speaking negativity about it afterwards.

Then again, it may not just be for you. To each his own. But I do think most who have installed it, swear by it, "on their ride".

Cheers :beer3:

BIGLRY
07-14-2016, 10:22 PM
I am a believer in a fork brace, but after I installed my HeliBars I felt no need for a fork brace on my F6B as they tightened up the front end the same way I have notice when I have use a fork brace on other scoots in the past. I don't think I'll gain any thing more by adding the fork brace. Now a set of Mono shock cartridges like the ones from Progressive in the tubes would be nice.

I do plan to install a set of "All Balls" tapered roller bearings in the trees that I have setting on the shelf as I know the tapered roller bearing are much more stable than the ball bearings Honda put in there. kind of funny that Honda uses ball bearings as stem bearings in their flagship the GL1800, F6B even the Rune:shrug: but put the much better tapered roller bearings in the VTX1800 (VTX1300 is ball bearings).

Audiochris90
07-15-2016, 09:24 AM

All I meant was one fork in our bike uses a modern damping cartridge but the other fork has the 1960 type solid rod with a hole in which the fork oil is pushed through. The traxxion guy said it costs about 2 bucks. Great old video of a traxxion presentation to a gold wing event with a set of our forks for demo. On YouTube.

edgeman55
07-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Yea 835lbs if you ride without anything extra on the bike-but most of us have hung all kinds of goodies on ours-lights,floorboards,footpegs like my Ergo 3's,racks ect.Not to mention what we load in the bags and on the rack/seat.Never took into account the rider as our weights vary.I just find it funny that you always put up your 2 cents worth on these questions as to run a brace or not and you have never had one.Kind of like me telling someone what it's like to grow up black-only problem is I'm white.So I guess you have beaten a dead horse when it comes to advise on this one subject.Have a nice day.

opas ride
07-15-2016, 03:48 PM
Yea 835lbs if you ride without anything extra on the bike-but most of us have hung all kinds of goodies on ours-lights,floorboards,footpegs like my Ergo 3's,racks ect.Not to mention what we load in the bags and on the rack/seat.Never took into account the rider as our weights vary.I just find it funny that you always put up your 2 cents worth on these questions as to run a brace or not and you have never had one.Kind of like me telling someone what it's like to grow up black-only problem is I'm white.So I guess you have beaten a dead horse when it comes to advise on this one subject.Have a nice day.
I am not giving advise to you or anyone my friend, just offering my opinion as do others on this site...Do whatever makes you happy and we will all be better off for it....Regards.....

Wing'n it
07-15-2016, 10:05 PM
I am a believer in a fork brace, but after I installed my HeliBars I felt no need for a fork brace on my F6B as they tightened up the front end the same way I have notice when I have use a fork brace on other scoots in the past. I don't think I'll gain any thing more by adding the fork brace. Now a set of Mono shock cartridges like the ones from Progressive in the tubes would be nice.

I do plan to install a set of "All Balls" tapered roller bearings in the trees that I have setting on the shelf as I know the tapered roller bearing are much more stable than the ball bearings Honda put in there. kind of funny that Honda uses ball bearings as stem bearings in their flagship the GL1800, F6B even the Rune:shrug: but put the much better tapered roller bearings in the VTX1800 (VTX1300 is ball bearings).

Your gonna like the tapered bearings in the F6! Mucho improvement...........

BIGLRY
07-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Your gonna like the tapered bearings in the F6! Mucho improvement...........Oh I have no doubt about it as I have done the conversion on some other's scoots and test rode them. I also plan to do both my Runes with the same bearings and why I have had a set on the shelf for a while, just waiting till I need to change the front tire which is a bitch on the Rune and do the stem bearings at the same time. I do have the special tool for extracting the lower and upper races in the neck so that part is quick and easy.

edgeman55
07-16-2016, 02:07 PM
I am not giving advise to you or anyone my friend, just offering my opinion as do others on this site...Do whatever makes you happy and we will all be better off for it....Regards.....

WOW dude you just don't get it-How can you offer up a opinion on something you have never installed? I will do what makes me happy and disregard your posts.REGARDS to you.

SimonTemplar
07-16-2016, 02:44 PM
I've been looking at the SuperBrace and the Kury. In the YouTube videos, the Kury appears to be a bit beefier than the Super....but once everything is nailed down,does it make a difference beyond looks?

Anyone try both? Any discernible difference in handling?

....sT

willtill
07-16-2016, 02:53 PM
I've been looking at the SuperBrace and the Kury. In the YouTube videos, the Kury appears to be a bit beefier than the Super....but once everything is nailed down,does it make a difference beyond looks?

....sT

Your forks will not move with either brace. They both will do the same thing. The brace (either of them) won't flex.

BIGLRY
07-16-2016, 03:35 PM

....sTJust my personal opinion, but if I were putting one on my scoot it would be the Kury due to the design that maintains adjustability for that perfect fit without preloading the forks. Unless I'm missing something I don't see that type of adjustability with the SuperBrace you just bolt it on and hope your forks are exactly the same width as the brace.
I know all about machining and acceptable tolerances, but I personally don't want any side pull on my forks if my trees are a thou out from Honda or the brace was machined a thou out. Kury can be adjusted for any minor difference that might be found between mass produced trees. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure SuperBrace has built their brace to the tightest tolerances possible, but I still like the fact with a Kury fork brace there is a width adjustment.

Once installed they both do the same job and I doubt anyone could tell which one is on the bike by riding it.

willtill
07-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Just my personal opinion, but if I were putting one on my scoot it would be the Kury due to the design that maintains adjustability for that perfect fit without preloading the forks. Unless I'm missing something I don't see that type of adjustability with the SuperBrace you just bolt it on and hope your forks are exactly the same width as the brace.
I know all about machining and acceptable tolerances, but I personally don't want any side pull on my forks if my trees are a thou out from Honda or the brace was machined a thou out. Kury can be adjusted for any minor difference that might be found between mass produced trees. Now don't get me wrong I'm sure SuperBrace has built their brace to the tightest tolerances possible, but I still like the fact with a Kury fork brace there is a width adjustment.

Biglry, the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?

The danger involved with an adjustable brace is that if your front end is not assembled correctly (i.e. axle nut pinch bolts tightened before the axle was properly seated) you are maintaining that overall front fork attitude with the adjustable brace; in believing that you are mating the brace with a correctly adjusted fork assembly.

Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace. When I did that and installed the brace, the visual fork seal rub marks on the front fork stantions disappeared. Which is a good thing.

BIGLRY
07-16-2016, 04:02 PM
Biglry, the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?I'm not second guessing SuperBrace's tolerances or Kuryakyn's and I'm sure they both work just fine. I'm only saying they all are mass produced like Honda's trees and it is possible there might not be a perfect fit 100% of the time. With the Kuryakyn fork brace's adjustability when you install it the brace forms to the spec of the forks it is being installed on so if and I only say if the trees are a thou out there will be no lateral pull or push on the forks, this is not so with the SuperBrace. Kuryakyn is kind of like a custom fit verses a generic fit one finds with the SuperBrace IMO.
I would expect anyone installing any fork brace to reseat the front axle prior to installation of the brace and be sure that the front wheel, axel nut, pinch bolts are all properly installed an up to proper torque.:icon_biggrin:

seadog
07-16-2016, 04:10 PM

My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.

BIGLRY
07-16-2016, 04:11 PM
"Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace. When I did that and installed the brace, the visual fork seal rub marks on the front fork stantions disappeared. Which is a good thing."
Yes it is and should be done when installing any fork brace IMO:yes:

willtill
07-16-2016, 04:48 PM
My 2015 deluxe hasn't an issue that the fork brace would fix, it doesn't wander, the roads where they have grooved the concrete it runs straight over them and doesn't hunt the ridges, I run curves hard with the bike and it just runs them like its on rails. So spend the money on something, I have to see a need for it and its not there.

Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman. :icon_lol:

SimonTemplar
07-16-2016, 05:08 PM
.....the Superbrace is machined to the exact tolerance. Why would one want to second guess the tolerance with the Kuryakyn?

....Superbrace recommends reseating your front axle prior to installation of the brace......

I have to side with Larry on this one. While SuperBrace may take care to be exact with their tolerances....clearly Honda doesn't, in many cases.

A case in point....

Recently I installed the Rivco kickstand footpad. Roughly half of those who've done this have had no troubles and finished the job in 3 minutes dead. The rest of us...we found out that the casting for the kickstand is finished by hand after coming out of the mold. And...half of the kickstand feet are significantly thicker and even sometimes wider than the others. Those who got thicker and/or wider castings found that the foot would not fit the Rivco pad. We had to file or grind the kickstand down to get into the Rivco slot.

For me....I didn't want to take the stand off the bike. And power grinding would've flung filings everywhere...on the paint, in crevices where it might cause troubles...everywhere. I had to file mine down by hand. And THEN, everything had to be masked off and repainted.

A job which should have taken under 5 minutes instead took two-plus hours start to finish. Rivco watches their tolerances and, from the looks of the product, I'll bet out of a thousand of those pads, less than 5 will vary in any appreciable manner from the rest. Honda? Well....at Honda close enough is good enough.

Far cry comparing a fork brace to a kickstand pad, I agree. However....it does give proof that Honda does not mind a bit cutting corners in their manufacturing and Quality Control processes which could just as easily have been done properly. I have also found this to be the case elsewhere on my B as well.

And it's not just Honda, I'll admit. I find similar philosophies inherent in a lot of products these days. But things are what they are, and mass-production (especially on Honda's scale) tends to encourage this sort of laziness. Being able to clean up other peoples messes tends to be a feature these days rather than a bother.

.....sT

PS ---- BTW...I should think that it would be a good idea to loosen and refit the axle and pinch bolts, regardless which brace one chooses to install.

BIGLRY
07-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Sea dog, initially I did not see a need for a Superbrace either, on my F6B.

But... I had installed a fork brace a long time ago on my past DL650. And it was a marvelous transformation on how my bike handled after that.

So I decided to try the Superbrace on my F6B to see if anything would be improved regarding the handling... my expectations of a better controlled front end were realized.

....which surprised me on my bike post install. These Fork braces are an improvement. Try one, you will see... Or money back from Superbrace guaranteed.

Sheesh... I think Superbrace should hire me as a salesman. :icon_lol:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2277/2249450697_c992cb16fd_o.gif

Audiochris90
09-03-2016, 08:16 AM
Hey guys,
I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?

willtill
09-03-2016, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,
I know this thread is a few weeks old, and i have my kury brace on for a month now. I followed kurys instructions and it did not require loosen of the pinch bolts. On my vtx 1800r, i remember taping the forks in or out to get the brakes to stop dragging after a tire change. The line on the spacer and the fork were critical to the rotor set between the pads. On the B , i have no issues after kury brace install, but would the same rotor / pad issue happen to the Goldwing/f6b if you reset the fork / axel spacing?

I personally have never heard such a thing.

The calipers are bolted via brackets to the forks (or directly to the lower shock body). The forks are aligned precisely 90 degrees parallel to the front axle, which in turn presents a 90 degree alignment with the rotors as they are positioned within the calipers.

Purpose of setting the axle in the forks by bouncing the front end, with the pinch bolts loosened, is to insure that any slight "twist" in the forks as they relate to each other is minimized, and the forks are aligned and are ready to be finally tightened down on the axle's clamping surface with the pinch bolts.

You have no idea if there was a slight twist in your forks when you installed your Superbrace. Which would maintain that twist. Though I'm sure that there was not. Myself, I loosened the pinch bolts and gently bounced the front end to enable myself to sleep better at night, before installing my Superbrace. :icon_wink:

SimonTemplar
09-03-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm with Will.

I have the Kury, and although Kury doesn't specifically tell you to do it...I still loosened the pinch bolts and reset my forks prior to cinching everything up. Only makes sense to do so.

As an aside....Kury ALSO doesn't tell you what torque spec's to apply either. And, if you specifically ask them about the matter (as I did), they STILL won't tell you. I think more than a bit less of Kury now than I used to (...and that wasn't very much to begin with.)

....sT

Delta
03-02-2017, 06:05 PM
My local dealer just happened to have a black Kury fork brace hanging on the wall. The temptation was too great so I got it for the nice price of $169. Easy install and looks good contrasting with the yellow paint. I went to reset the forks and the pinch bolts were on really tight. Didn't think I'd get them to budge. Grabbed a handful of front brake and compressed the front forks a few times. Then tightened the fork brace and then torqued the pinch bolts to 16 ft pounds. That sure doesn't feel like much compared to how tight they initially were. Did I do that correctly?

Went for a short 10 mile road test and the first thing I noticed was total smoothness in the hand grips. Before there was a slight vibration. It was there yesterday so I know it's not my imagination. Sometime next week when the temps get back above 50, I'll get to really test the brace out. So far I'm pleased with this mode and so glad for all your input in prior posts on the fork brace.

willtill
03-02-2017, 07:06 PM
My local dealer just happened to have a black Kury fork brace hanging on the wall. The temptation was too great so I got it for the nice price of $169. Easy install and looks good contrasting with the yellow paint. I went to reset the forks and the pinch bolts were on really tight. Didn't think I'd get them to budge. Grabbed a handful of front brake and compressed the front forks a few times. Then tightened the fork brace and then torqued the pinch bolts to 16 ft pounds. That sure doesn't feel like much compared to how tight they initially were. Did I do that correctly?

Went for a short 10 mile road test and the first thing I noticed was total smoothness in the hand grips. Before there was a slight vibration. It was there yesterday so I know it's not my imagination. Sometime next week when the temps get back above 50, I'll get to really test the brace out. So far I'm pleased with this mode and so glad for all your input in prior posts on the fork brace.

More than likely your pinch bolts may have had thread locker on them. I think the Honda repair manual practically tells yo to thread locker everything on the lower fork ends.

Delta
03-02-2017, 07:18 PM
More than likely your pinch bolts may have had thread locker on them. I think the Honda repair manual practically tells yo to thread locker everything on the lower fork ends.

Hmmmm. Think I should put blue locktite on them?

willtill
03-03-2017, 06:29 AM
Hmmmm. Think I should put blue locktite on them?

No. I don't know why Honda advocates putting lock tite on those bolts in the first place. They'll be fine without it

2wheelsforme
03-03-2017, 08:02 AM
Really on the fence on the brace thing. Usually I like to think if it ain't broke don't fix it. The F6B is the finest handling bike I've ever had, solid in the turns and straight down the hiway with no hands and no vibration or noticeable flex in the bars, no cupping of the tires. So I have to think what am I fixing? However I do like spending money on this bike and have all the stuff I originally wanted so now on to something new? If you get the Kury then you have an adjustment to make and how to do that and know you are correct? Or go with the Super and mount as is with no adjustment! Or the economy version and leave it alone.

DMAGOLDRDR
03-03-2017, 08:40 AM
Really on the fence on the brace thing. Usually I like to think if it ain't broke don't fix it. The F6B is the finest handling bike I've ever had, solid in the turns and straight down the hiway with no hands and no vibration or noticeable flex in the bars, no cupping of the tires. So I have to think what am I fixing? However I do like spending money on this bike and have all the stuff I originally wanted so now on to something new? If you get the Kury then you have an adjustment to make and how to do that and know you are correct? Or go with the Super and mount as is with no adjustment! Or the economy version and leave it alone.

A non adjustable Fork Brace may do more harm than good "IF" it is not correct. You want the forks braced in the middle as to not allow flex but the forks need to be aligned properly when braced.

IF a non adjustable Fork Brace either pulls the forks together or pushes them apart even a slight bit it will create stiction (the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.)

53driver
03-03-2017, 09:03 AM
My SuperBrace was initially mounted incorrectly (by me).
It was VERY obvious immediately that I had done something wrong.
So back on the lift, everything loosened up and retightened more carefully.

MUCH better.

Mike - I have a spare SuperBrace if you'd like to try it.
I have promised it to someone else, but that won't be for awhile.
Let me know.
Steve

willtill
03-03-2017, 09:05 AM

Superbrace has a money back guarantee. What do you have to lose?

2wheelsforme
03-03-2017, 09:19 AM
A non adjustable Fork Brace may do more harm than good "IF" it is not correct. You want the forks braced in the middle as to not allow flex but the forks need to be aligned properly when braced.

IF a non adjustable Fork Brace either pulls the forks together or pushes them apart even a slight bit it will create stiction (the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.)

This makes me think I need to leave well enough alone.

2wheelsforme
03-03-2017, 09:22 AM

MUCH better.

Mike - I have a spare SuperBrace if you'd like to try it.
I have promised it to someone else, but that won't be for awhile.
Let me know.
Steve

That is a great offer and I'll take you up on it. I'm changing out my front tire in the next couple of weeks so will get it from you before then. Lets do lunch soon and ride the Snails Tail by the airport again.

Ixol Phaane
03-03-2017, 09:22 AM

MUCH better.

+1
I found myself in a similar situation with my initial install of a SuperBrace... a little bit of binding (stiction :yes:). Felt it right away. (Wasn't a surprise because I don't seem able to get anything done right the first time.) But a quick removal and reinstall took care of that. Now the ride is much mo better.

53driver
03-03-2017, 10:50 AM
That is a great offer and I'll take you up on it. I'm changing out my front tire in the next couple of weeks so will get it from you before then. Lets do lunch soon and ride the Snails Tail by the airport again.

I'm teaching at HD PCola today 1600-2100, Sat & Sun 07-1400.
I'll have the brace with me if you want it sooner than later.
Out of town all next mid-week/weekend.

Cheers,
Steve

StraightWings
03-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Picture yourself standing on a 3 foot ladder that has two cross-braces: one at the bottom (axle), one at the top (triple-tree). You have at least 1/2 of 1050+/- lbs being applied to the side rails of the ladder while you are twisting, turning, and throwing a LOT of side-load and tortion into the ladder, at times the full + considerable inertia.

Instability? You bet. Turn the wrong way, and the ladder buckles.

That is exaggerated to make the point, but even 45-47 mm of steel tube flexes in the middle of the (non-braced) space when you add the inertia of the weight being forced (through the guy on top of the ladder) to the side-rails (tubes). How could bracing that flex point NOT improve the rigidity of the 'ladder'. Any added bracing in that space will help. They learned that with the stock GL1100, and added a 'brace'.

Other than dead-straight-on-the-road riding, having that 'flex-point' point braced will absolutely affect the rigidity of the unit, hence affect the handling characteristics and the 'feel'. The upsides are obvious.

Downsides of stiffening the front end by added bracing? Tire-wear & wheel bearings: probably hard to measure, but my gut tells me they will reduce in lifespan: there's lessened tube-flex to act as a shock-absorber for a relatively infinitesimal amount of the forces creating the wear. Hmmm. Is that really a downside? 45100 miles on bearings instead of 45050..?

Which brace? Any brace is better than none. Get the best stiffness at the best weight. Get the best brace you can find.

Ride safe.

CindyH
03-30-2017, 09:08 AM
I've only had my 2014 F6B for a couple of weeks. I'm definitely going to put on Helibars (I have a short reach and like the adjustments it will give me).
Would that eliminate the need for a brace, or would a brace still make a difference?

willtill
03-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I've only had my 2014 F6B for a couple of weeks. I'm definitely going to put on Helibars (I have a short reach and like the adjustments it will give me).
Would that eliminate the need for a brace, or would a brace still make a difference?

It will stiffen your handlebars. But it will not stiffen the lower forks. The fork flex occurs below the triple tree.

Ixol Phaane
03-30-2017, 10:44 AM

+1 for Willtill's comment above. The HeliBars do tighten up the handlebars and make the bike more comfortable... but they don't address the fork flex as a brace does.

I recently installed HeliBars, and had read (or mis-read) others comments that they didn't feel the need for a fork brace anymore, and so left my SB off. After reconsidering the geometry of the steering stuff, I reinstalled the SB, and I'm glad I did. The brace does still make a difference, imho.

Ride safe!