PDA

View Full Version : Second bike...? Thoughts?

VStarRider
07-18-2016, 07:39 PM
I recently sold my 2004 VStar 1100 cruiser, and am down to just the F6B (tough life I am living here...).

I actually enjoyed having the VStar in the lineup. While a cruiser like the F6B (hmmm...is the F6B a cruiser?!?), the VStar was a very different animal. I found myself taking the 1100 out on days above 80 F+ as it has a lot more air flow. Plus, it was fun to ride a bike that felt very different, much more basic. It was different enough that I had to change my riding habits when going from one to the other.

I was telling this to a guy at work who said, yeah, its great having a second bike, but it should be a different type of machine to get a different experience. He didn't buy my argument that the Honda and VStar are very different.

So, I was thinking about what I would like for a second bike. Here is my current, albeit very fluid, list:

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
2.) Yamaha FJR1300
3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
4.) VStar 1300

Just throwing this out there for conversation...

RickJ
07-18-2016, 08:02 PM
I recently sold my 2004 VStar 1100 cruiser, and am down to just the F6B (tough life I am living here...).

I actually enjoyed having the VStar in the lineup. While a cruiser like the F6B (hmmm...is the F6B a cruiser?!?), the VStar was a very different animal. I found myself taking the 1100 out on days above 80 F+ as it has a lot more air flow. Plus, it was fun to ride a bike that felt very different, much more basic. It was different enough that I had to change my riding habits when going from one to the other.

I was telling this to a guy at work who said, yeah, its great having a second bike, but it should be a different type of machine to get a different experience. He didn't buy my argument that the Honda and VStar are very different.

So, I was thinking about what I would like for a second bike. Here is my current, albeit very fluid, list:

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
2.) Yamaha FJR1300
3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
4.) VStar 1300

I have a 2004 Triumph Thunderbird sport and a 2005 BMW 650GS in addition to my F6B. For me it is a perfect stable. Classic, cool basic, sporty Triumph and sort of a "Jeep" BMW- zip around town, a little offroad. If by some miracle the war department allowed another bike I'd go for something really vintage. But the Triumph sort of fills that niche.

taxfree4
07-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Soon as I dump my 2nd bike, a Sportster, I'm going to take a serious look at the Africa Twin.

Rudy
07-18-2016, 08:16 PM
My second bike is a Triumph Tiger 800xc. A completely different scoot and a blast to ride. I just spent a weekend riding the mountains of PA, both paved and gravel roads. The addition of an adventure bike has really opened up a whole new world of riding in places I would never consider taking the 6B. Two great bikes that make me smile every time out.:icon_biggrin::

deacon
07-18-2016, 08:54 PM
My second bike,a 2014 CB 1100,carries me back to 1980,third bike is a Suzuki DR 650,great bike for back roads

BIGLRY
07-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Next to my 2013 F6B is a 02 turbo VTX1800c, a custom 02 VTX1800 C'tro (C & Retro mix), Black 05 Rune, Red 04 Rune and my 08 Kawasaki duel sport KLR 650....works for me.
The only think I'd like to add is....er....hum.....not a thing :icon_lol:

six2go
07-18-2016, 09:16 PM

1.) Kawasaki Versys 650
2.) Yamaha FJR1300
3.) Victory CC/ CC Tour
4.) VStar 1300

Of the 4 that you listed, I would go for the Versys. I had a Suzuki 650 V-Strom before getting the F6B and I wish I would have kept it. So much so that I have been eye balling a Versys myself. Not so much as an addition, but to replace the "6". I found out with the Strom that you don't need 1500-1800 cc's to tour.

CheesyRider
07-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Of the bikes you listed, I'd also go for the Versys 650. My wife used to have one and I really enjoyed borrowing it. It is a very different riding experience than an F6B, but a good one..

If you don't like riding the F6B when it's hot out, you'll hate the FJR. I used to own one. Even though they "fixed" the heat problem in 2006, I found riding it was a miserable experience when the temp went over 80 degrees.

The Victory CC seems too similar in purpose to the F6B.

I've never taken a VStar 1300 out for a spin, so I don't really have an opinion on that option.

53driver
07-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Cruiser?

Cycle World classified the F6B as a "heavy cruiser."

3Chief
07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
I have my 05 VTX1800F, it's not going anywhere, and a 2012 Concours.

BIGLRY
07-18-2016, 10:52 PM
Cruiser?

Cycle World classified the F6B as a "heavy cruiser."Yea, what a joke, Cycle World thinks if it has a top trunk it's a 'tourer' and if ya take the top trunk off it is a 'heavy cruiser'.:icon_doh:
Triumph Rocket Roadster, Suzuki 109, VTX1800, V-Rod, Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 those are the types of scoots I think of when the words "Heavy Cruiser" are thrown around.

Ridlikhel
07-18-2016, 11:03 PM
If i was to add a second bike to my garage, i think it would be a FJ09. Lots of nice things said about it and more than enough power for me.

ff73148
07-19-2016, 06:19 AM
2016 Triumph Bonneville T120 Black is my second bike. It replaced my 2011 T100. Bonneville's are great bikes and Triumph greatly improved the T120 over the T100. Light and agile. Great for around town and the back roads.

willtill
07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
I have a DR650 for a second bike. Love it!

But I do miss a V-Twin... been riding them for so long... hard to forget about them.

I would like to get a chopper some day.... :icon_cool:

Cobraguy
07-19-2016, 08:58 AM
I had a Suzuki 650 Vstrom as a second to my full wing. We got the F6 and I sold the Vstrom to my son and took the wife's 14 CTX700 for a commuter.

Rickc
07-19-2016, 09:18 AM
My other Bike is a 1972 Norton 750 Commando. Usually starts on first or second kick.

Greg O
07-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Go with a V Max.

Pringle
07-19-2016, 10:00 AM
I am with Greg O on this one.....love my VMAX as a second bike.....

Patch
07-19-2016, 12:49 PM
I got a good chuckle from the "Heavy Cruiser" moniker. Maybe I'll paint my bike with a ship camo scheme and give it a Pensacola class heavy cruiser name.

Seriously though, have been thinking about the Africa Twin myself. I miss offroading, and a versatility bike like this, I could see towing behind the B to a favorite offroad locale.

Hornblower
07-19-2016, 03:23 PM
The other bike is a 2016 BMW S1000XR.

drifter
07-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Before i bought the f6b i was very interested trading my 2005 white and silver victory vegas with stage one pipes in on an indian chieftain. Fortunately i could not make a decent deal and bought the f6b. I ended keeping the victory and $6000 . I enjoy riding the f6b on longer rides. The victory has 41000 miles on it and i run it on shorter trips . Its nice to hear the thump of the v twin once in a while.

VStarRider
07-19-2016, 08:18 PM
Before i bought the f6b i was very interested trading my 2005 white and silver victory vegas with stage one pipes in on an indian chieftain. Fortunately i could not make a decent deal and bought the f6b. I ended keeping the victory and $6000 . I enjoy riding the f6b on longer rides. The victory has 41000 miles on it and i run it on shorter trips . Its nice to hear the thump of the v twin once in a while.

That's how I felt with my VStar, which, strangely enough, also had 41,000 miles on it. I sold it for $2500. I really thought about keeping it, as mentioned, but I had a tuition bill to pay and I really can't justify having a second bike with three snowmobiles, boat, and a camp also.

Someday I may consider it, though. I certainly put on enough miles each year (6-7,000) to make a case for it in the future.

stevenolts
07-20-2016, 06:15 AM
I test rode the FJ-09 last week and it was very nice. I am waiting for the FZ-10 it should have similar ergonomics but far more power. The new FZ-10 looks to be a game changer for the naked / standard / light sport touring bikes.

It looks to be a better R1!!! The power and handling of the latest R1 and comfort of the FZ1!!!

I can't wait to get the opportunity to test ride the FZ-10. (I don't know if I will ever get to buy one)

A bike like these could never replace the F6B but they would be fun as a second bike to thrash occasionally.
Steve

Old Ryder
07-20-2016, 11:39 AM
My number 1 bike is the B. My number 2 bike is the "anti-B"

The B is the keeper bike but the wife has given me permission to use a chunk of money and "flip" bikes as a side job. If I break even (and throw her a few hundred bucks so she thinks I am actually making money, then my payment in the deal is that I get another scoot to enjoy and ride for a while) I have made a few bucks on a Valkyrie and VRod.

At the moment, the "anti B" is a 2006 Harley Street Bob. It is everything the F6B is NOT. It is small---loud--mini apes give it the outlaw appeal---it is loud---very uncomfortable except for short rides--very loud---and is not appealing for a passenger at all---and finally it is very loud. It is also very fun!!!!! But, as I said, it is also not a keeper. But I do love it. Maybe a better phrase is that I lust it, instead---for short periods at a time.

stevenolts
07-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Old Ryder,

That is a great way to get a extra bike in the garage.

I have the F6B and a 1981 C750K which I bought new in 1982. I have owned it way to long to get rid of it now. We all know the F6B is going no where (I love the bike) But I do crave another bike to play with.

I came up with something similar I was going to tell my wife I am going to start a side business restoring bikes. Then like you I will get to play with a new toy every now and then. Who knows maybe we will get lucky and make some money doing this.
Steve

blueverclear
07-21-2016, 04:18 AM
My second bike is an 01 Yamaha Roadstar 1600. I absolutely love it for short trips and around the town stuff. I feel safer around town on it because its pretty loud and throaty. People can see and hear me going down the road for sure.

As for the choices you have listed, I think I would go with the vstar 1300 if I was looking for that around the town bike. If your looking for something that's a little faster and to take you out of the cruiser range, I would seriously take a look at the Kawasaki Versys or what I really like is the Yamaha FJ-09. Has some wind protection but a really fun, light weight, and versatile bike.

For me, I don't need to go as fast as possible anymore (been there done that with many bikes.... zx14, R1, ZX10, GSXR1000, etc) so I really enjoy the night and day difference between my loud old school bad a$$ Vtwin Roadstar VS my modern quiet and well engineered F6B

Greg O
07-21-2016, 06:47 AM
My second bike if I had unlimited cash would be a Motus MST-R

TitansFan
07-21-2016, 03:52 PM
The first bike (now 2nd?) is a Shadow Aero 750. I kept it when I got the F6 for local commuter riding, with the F6 being for longer rides and weekend riding. They do each have a different feel to them - I love the variety.

VStarRider
07-24-2016, 07:28 PM
I can't help - I just like the looks of cruisers. A cheap second bike is a VStar 1300, but I would prefer a Victory Cross Country or CC Tour at this time (subject to change 100 times in the next couple of years). They are just good looking machines.

I didn't like my test ride last fall, but I wonder if I should've given it more of a chance. The vibration I felt through the seat when I first accelerated (plus the disappointing power down low, a shock for a Vtwin) was an immediate turn off. Build quality turned me off too.

Yet, I love the way they look and few or no one that has owned one has a bad word to say...

opas ride
07-24-2016, 08:10 PM
I can't help - I just like the looks of cruisers. A cheap second bike is a VStar 1300, but I would prefer a Victory Cross Country or CC Tour at this time (subject to change 100 times in the next couple of years). They are just good looking machines.

I didn't like my test ride last fall, but I wonder if I should've given it more of a chance. The vibration I felt through the seat when I first accelerated (plus the disappointing power down low, a shock for a Vtwin) was an immediate turn off. Build quality turned me off too.

Yet, I love the way they look and few or no one that has owned one has a bad word to say...

Having owned a few Victory's and ridden the ones your talking about, I have never noticed any vibration through the seat or any lack of power..My Victory Vision had no such issues and could easily "blow away" most HD's and other V-twins...????...Maybe you had a bad bike or were looking for something that was not there....Ride safe

VStarRider
07-25-2016, 10:20 AM
Having owned a few Victory's and ridden the ones your talking about, I have never noticed any vibration through the seat or any lack of power..My Victory Vision had no such issues and could easily "blow away" most HD's and other V-twins...????...Maybe you had a bad bike or were looking for something that was not there....Ride safe

When I pulled up to the Victory dealer last October, I told the owner that I really valued a smooth, comfortable bike for longer rides. I told him that I am still open to a twin, but was growing a little tired of the feeling of vibration that comes from a twin, particularly under throttle. While I thought that the 1700cc Vic might be smoother than my 1100 VStar, because it is a $22,000 touring bike, he told me later that he knew right then I would not like the Vic because it was designed to have the rider "feel" the motor, as that is what many Vtwin riders like. He said that the Yamaha 1100 is one of the smoothest Vtwins around and if I felt that vibrated too much, then I would hate the Vic.

I pulled out of the driveway of the dealer and out on to the main road. Under moderate throttle while getting up to speed, I felt the vibration of the coffee-can sized pistons right through the seat on my arse. I also felt it through the bars. I felt that would become fatiguing on a long trip, plus I thought a $22k bike would isolate its rider far better than that.

As for acceleration, I felt I needed to really twist the Vic's throttle to get it moving. The dealer told me they made the throttle less linear because people were breaking the rear tire free too easily, so that may be what was driving my perception.

Anyway, you are probably right - I was expecting a different experience that what the Vic was designed to deliver. When I was cruising through the Finger Lakes on Saturday at a steady 50-55 mph without a single sensation from the flat-6 Honda, that it what I was looking for. I guess I found it...minus ABS, cruise, and a trunk!

Still like the thought of that much different experience in a second bike.

BadDawg
07-25-2016, 10:24 AM
My other scoot is low-profile semi bobbed VTX 1800C. If I ever get a bigger garage I'll have a full blown bobber and maybe a Busa.

copper
07-26-2016, 07:40 AM
For something less bulky and an 'in the city' ride, I've often thought of the Triumph Street Triple.

Old Ryder
07-26-2016, 03:50 PM
My other scoot is low-profile semi bobbed VTX 1800C. If I ever get a bigger garage I'll have a full blown bobber and maybe a Busa.

I had an 06 C model. I can only imagine a stripped down bobbed 1800. That thing must be wicked fast.

waynef6b
07-26-2016, 05:04 PM
My second bike if I had unlimited cash would be a Motus MST-R

oh yes!

F6B1911
07-26-2016, 08:18 PM
I'd buy a 2nd F6B.
I'd spend a week maintaining the paint job, then while riding that one, I'd spend the next week maintaining the paint job on the 2nd F6B.

shooter
07-26-2016, 08:21 PM
That's why I have trouble keeping up with the cleaning. I only have one B. Thanks man. I know what I have to do now.

BIGLRY
07-26-2016, 09:25 PM
I had an 06 C model. I can only imagine a stripped down bobbed 1800. That thing must be wicked fast.And when you add a turbo they're quick too.:icon_lol:

willtill
07-27-2016, 05:13 AM
I'd buy a 2nd F6B.
I'd spend a week maintaining the paint job, then while riding that one, I'd spend the next week maintaining the paint job on the 2nd F6B.

I had up to three bikes at one time... and the cleaning of the chrome, the wheels, the paint; etc... just became too much and detracted from the overall enjoyment of them. :nono:

So I finally got the stable down to two... no chrome to clean.. and thank goodness I have my sanity back. :shhh:

Black powdercoated wheels such as the F6B's are the bomb. No repetitive and meticulous cleaning/polishing required. That flat black paint blends well with road grime and brake dust. :yes:

wjduke
07-27-2016, 06:26 AM
I had up to three bikes at one time... and the cleaning of the chrome, the wheels, the paint; etc... just became too much and detracted from the overall enjoyment of them. :nono:

So I finally got the stable down to two... no chrome to clean.. and thank goodness I have my sanity back. :shhh:

Black powdercoated wheels such as the F6B's are the bomb. No repetitive and meticulous cleaning/polishing required. That flat black paint blends well with road grime and brake dust. :yes:

I haven't touched my wheels once in 13,000 miles. Doesn't seem to affect my ride.

willtill
07-27-2016, 06:41 AM
I haven't touched my wheels once in 13,000 miles. Doesn't seem to affect my ride.

And it shouldn't... however cleaning your wheels on a less frequent basis also affords you the opportunity to inspect everything down there. Let's face it; some of us are getting older and it takes more effort to ease our weathered carcass's to a prone position alongside the bike; and then to haul it back up to an upright position. :shhh: Infrequent cleaning and inspection is warranted in this case. :icon_wink:

wjduke
07-27-2016, 06:52 AM
And it shouldn't... however cleaning your wheels on a less frequent basis also affords you the opportunity to inspect everything down there. Let's face it; some of us are getting older and it takes more effort to ease our weathered carcass's to a prone position alongside the bike; and then to haul it back up to an upright position. :shhh: Infrequent cleaning and inspection is warranted in this case. :icon_wink:

I'm doing a new set for the rally trip. I'm changing the stems to all metal and will clean then.

willtill
07-27-2016, 07:01 AM
I'm doing a new set for the rally trip. I'm changing the stems to all metal and will clean then.

What stems are you going to install? I've been looking for black ones... but can only find chrome...

wjduke
07-27-2016, 07:17 AM
What stems are you going to install? I've been looking for black ones... but can only find chrome...

Just the chrome ones from wingstuff. I didn't go crazy looking.

willtill
07-27-2016, 07:25 AM
Just the chrome ones from wingstuff. I didn't go crazy looking.

I guess a couple of shots of black enamel spray paint will be in order then...

VStarRider
07-27-2016, 02:34 PM
Updated thought:

I now like the VStar 1300 Deluxe as my second bike. Cheap to buy used, actually has a better stereo setup than the F6B, mostly open air (down below), twin motor, fuel injected, liquid cooled, good power (~80 hp/torque), giant bags (not enough for a helmet though :no:).

I have a couple of more years to make up my mind (the Mrs. is done with her Master's in May 2018).