PDA

View Full Version : Well she got a work out

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 07:22 PM
Took the Bee for one hell of a ride. 3030 miles in just under 50 hours. Went from Olympia Wa to Sioux Fall SD and back. I was shooting for the Iron Butt Bunn Burner Gold 3000. 3000 miles in under 48 hours. Unfortunately due to a few unfortunate events I missed my goal by an hour and 53 minutes. I should still qualify for 2 separate 1500 in 24 hour Bunburner golds.

Anyhow, the Bee was a beast and performed flawlessly. Think she is a keeper.

PS If you're going to get a speeding ticket Montana is a great place to do it. 87 in a 70 only cost me $70 bucks and the cops take credit cards. And he was actually a pretty cool guy.

shooter
07-19-2016, 08:12 PM
That's pretty awesome Dawg. My helmet is off to you. Not an easy thing to do. Congrats.

BIGLRY
07-19-2016, 08:17 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/7u1uRkAD2NVe0/giphy.gif

VStarRider
07-19-2016, 08:21 PM
I rode 125 miles in four hours last weekend. Does that get me anything? :crackup:

Howwww....does one ride 3,000 miles in 53 hours? That's an average of 56 mph....with no sleep or stops.

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 08:27 PM
I rode 125 miles in four hours last weekend. Does that get me anything? :crackup:

Howwww....does one ride 3,000 miles in 53 hours? That's an average of 56 mph....with no sleep or stops.

hopefully 125 miles gets you a smile. It's the only real reason to ride.

and it was actually 49 hours and 53 minutes. I was shooting for 48 hours. That also included a 3 hour nap in Sioux Falls. It helps that almost all of Montana has an 80mph speed limit as well as South Dakota.

unsub
07-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Took the Bee for one hell of a ride. 3030 miles in just under 50 hours. Went from Olympia Wa to Sioux Fall SD and back. I was shooting for the Iron Butt Bunn Burner Gold 3000. 3000 miles in under 48 hours. Unfortunately due to a few unfortunate events I missed my goal by an hour and 53 minutes. I should still qualify for 2 separate 1500 in 24 hour Bunburner golds.

PS If you're going to get a speeding ticket Montana is a great place to do it. 87 in a 70 only cost me $70 bucks and the cops take credit cards. And he was actually a pretty cool guy.

Hey BadDawg, tell us what held you back and how did you prep so others can learn from your experience.

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Hey BadDawg, tell us what held you back and how did you prep so others can learn from your experience.

Will do. First do your homework and plan your route. know the speed limits and 24 hour gas stops.

I did all that. I've done these before just not this big.

What went wrong. The big killer, I lost my pony tank less than 70 miles into the trip. Now my 5 fuel stops each direction and known stops just went to hell. I scheduled fuel stops around ever 350 miles. now I don't know exactly were I'm stopping. parts of Montana and South Dakota have some very sparse area. my 5 stops turned into 11 each way.

Hit bad weather in Wyoming. I was using my phone as a GPS touch screen doesn't work when wet. i missed a crucial exit that added almost an hour to my trip. I actually have a water proof GPS but it is bulky and I don't like the touch screen on it. I should have sucked it up.

If you want to certify your run documentation is everything. Coordinate your key points before you go. Trying to explain on the fly why you need witness to a total stranger is very time consuming.

There are many things that you cannot control. Weather, traffic, construction. So don't leave the things you can control up to chance.

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 08:59 PM
slightly used pony tank22297

stroguy
07-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much badazz there. Everybody clap your hands. Any type of coast to coast biking record?

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much badazz there. Everybody clap your hands. Any type of coast to coast biking record?

IBA has a coast to coast in 50 hours. It's on my bucket list along with a boarder to boarder and deadhorse AK to Key West FL

3Chief
07-19-2016, 09:24 PM
IBA has a coast to coast in 50 hours. It's on my bucket list along with a boarder to boarder and deadhorse AK to Key West FL

I've been eyeballing the Dead Horse to Key West one for awhile. That would be a heck of a fun trip.

unsub
07-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Will do. First do your homework and plan your route. know the speed limits and 24 hour gas stops.

I did all that. I've done these before just not this big.

What went wrong. The big killer, I lost my pony tank less than 70 miles into the trip. Now my 5 fuel stops each direction and known stops just went to hell. I scheduled fuel stops around ever 350 miles. now I don't know exactly were I'm stopping. parts of Montana and South Dakota have some very sparse area. my 5 stops turned into 11 each way.

Hit bad weather in Wyoming. I was using my phone as a GPS touch screen doesn't work when wet. i missed a crucial exit that added almost an hour to my trip. I actually have a water proof GPS but it is bulky and I don't like the touch screen on it. I should have sucked it up.

If you want to certify your run documentation is everything. Coordinate your key points before you go. Trying to explain on the fly why you need witness to a total stranger is very time consuming.

There are many things that you cannot control. Weather, traffic, construction. So don't leave the things you can control up to chance.

:yes:

Still all in all, great job on your part. No small feat.

A coast to coast F6B motorcade would be FUN!:clap2:

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 09:43 PM
:yes:

Still all in all, great job on your part. No small feat.

A coast to coast F6B motorcade would be FUN!:clap2:

I'm fortunate because I live both on the coast and close to the boarder. It's a short trip to the starting point. Ideally I'd haul ass one way and take several days and enjoy the ride back.

Penguin
07-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Congrats BadDawg, your one hell of a rider. :rock: In 2003 I tried riding my Harley coast to coast to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy during the 100th celebration. Started in San Diego and was planning to finish around Jacksonville Fl. Hit the wall after 40 hrs. Started to see little green men on the road.

BadDawg
07-19-2016, 11:30 PM
Congrats BadDawg, your one hell of a rider. :rock: In 2003 I tried riding my Harley coast to coast to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy during the 100th celebration. Started in San Diego and was planning to finish around Jacksonville Fl. Hit the wall after 40 hrs. Started to see little green men on the road.

see now that's cool. at least yours has a meaningful purpose. I just refer to mine as ego trips. And I know what you mean about the wall. About the last 3 hours I started noticing time laps. It's really hard to know when to toss in the towel especially when you're not at your best at that point.

stevenolts
07-20-2016, 06:06 AM
Are you sure those little green men were not real?
Sleep deprivation is a killer!!!
Steve

willtill
07-20-2016, 06:53 AM
I "hit the wall" once... I started seeing horses on the road. I kid you not. Sleep deprivation is for real.... :shock:

Congratulations BadDawg! :yes::yes:

Penguin
07-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Are you sure those little green men were not real?
Sleep deprivation is a killer!!!
Steve

If I was near Roswell maybe but I was somewhere around Mobile Alabama.:shock:

BadDawg
07-20-2016, 01:28 PM
I'm from Washington. If it's green we smoke it. :icon_mrgreen:

blueverclear
07-21-2016, 04:06 AM

That's amazing! Congrats brother

BadDawg
07-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks,

It won't be for a little while but I will do it again and get it under that 48 hour mark. The plan,was sound I just need to work on the execution.