PDA

View Full Version : After the lightning Strike

MichaelG
09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
I spent most of the day in the local medical center, having x-rays, CT scans, and further ear exams. It turns out that the tympanic membrane (ear drum) in BOTH of my ears are ruptured, and will require surgery. They can either do a skin graft and install a new ear drum in each ear, or...dependent on what the results of the CT scans show...it may require more indepth surergy to replace the actual bones of the ears. As some of you may know, the smallest bones in the human body are inside the ear. Again, we have to see what the CT scans shows, but if the ear bones are burnt, then they will need to be replaced. I am hoping, with all my might, that it does not go that far, and that I just need to have the skin grafts to replace both ear drums. :icon_frown:

Bruce B
09-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Wishing you all the best on that, Miles. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

BLACKBETTY12
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Praying for you Miles!

Mustangjake
09-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Good luck Miles speedy recovery !

contek
09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
We're all thinking good thoughts.

Retired Army
09-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Best of luck to you heal quickly.

1951vbs
09-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the update. Please keep us apprised as things progress. We do care. Not many folks know someone that was struck by lightning and it was documented so you can submit it to the IBA. Do they have a category for that? LOL.

BACA
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Hope the journey before you is successful Miles. Our thoughts and prayers are with you........and your family.

Big Dawg
09-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Best wishes sent for a complete recovery from the Chance family. Let me know if you need me to donate some skin for those grafts!

Dark Knight
09-09-2013, 11:16 PM
My thoughts and prayers are of your speedy recovery Miles! Get well soon!

fsixb_AZ
09-09-2013, 11:25 PM
wishing you all the best Miles. Getting hit once is more than enough for any of us. Roy Cleveland Sullivan was a Park Ranger who holds the World Record for Lightning strikes, 7 times he was blasted by mother nature and lived through each one...but then again he wasn't riding a motorcycle at 70mph on a rain soaked interstate....wow.

Big Dawg
09-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Best wishes sent for a complete recovery from the Chance family. Let me know if you need me to donate some skin for those grafts!
Hey Sparky, you do understand that I was referring to foreskin, right?:021::021:

Hornblower
09-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, Miles, hang in there buddy! Knowing you, you'll learn how to read lips in about 5 minutes:icon_biggrin: That should hold you until you get the eardrums repaired. Many of us are thinking of you and praying for you.

MichaelG
09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, Miles, hang in there buddy! Knowing you, you'll learn how to read lips in about 5 minutes:icon_biggrin: That should hold you until you get the eardrums repaired. Many of us are thinking of you and praying for you.

Ken...How is Luther ????????:icon_frown:

Phantom
09-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Hey Sparky, you do understand that I was referring to foreskin, right?:021::021:

:what: no you didn't .....

BubbaJePH
09-10-2013, 08:48 PM
I hope it is just a skin graft. Sometimes, not as often, they use rolling papers to use as a patch so that your tissue will grow through the joint paper and heal over. Hope the bones are intact and the inner ear components are well too. Keep us all informed! Wish you well. GOD has a plan for you on this earth. He didn't take you as he could have.

4DI2D
09-13-2013, 04:41 PM
^
Prayers for a complete recovery.
Haven't been hit by lightning . . .just cars.
P.S. In case you haven't heard (no pun intended), you are living proof that there is a greater plan for your life.
God is in the giving business, not the taking business.

IamBatmanF6B
09-14-2013, 12:36 AM
Miles, you don't have to be told how lucky you are but...................man! you were lucky! I hope you have a short road to recovery,

MSGT-R
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Damn Miles that's one funny avatar! :icon_mrgreen:
If you get that surgery, you'll have to change it to Lee Majors. :icon_wink:

Hang in there, bud!

MichaelG
09-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Damn Miles that's one funny avatar! :icon_mrgreen:
If you get that surgery, you'll have to change it to Lee Majors. :icon_wink:

Hang in there, bud!

Thanks, Terri. :yes:

Teach
09-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Dang it Mile's....... I step away from the forum for a few weeks and you go and get yourself zapped.
I am very glad to read you are alright besides the obviously stated hearing issues. A speedy recovery wish heading your way.
I had one hit the roadway in front of me on the ALCAN last year and it shut my bike off momentarily as it spidered all over the roadway. That was close enough for me to take shelter. Give me a shout if I can be of any assistance....

Teach, aka Tim

Big Dawg
09-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Miles, how about an update? We are hoping you are getting better.

JesseS
09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Major MOJO headed your way from Calif, hope all turns out OK