PDA

View Full Version : Summer Heat

shooter
07-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Don't know how its going where you guys are but here in the Midwest we are having a scorcher of a summer. It started the first of June and hasn't let up yet. 95 or hotter everyday , 70% humidity and then it storms every other day. Had a new Cherokee we bought last year , actually 10 months ago. About 7 weeks ago wife drove it to work and lightning hit it while she was in it and running. Killed it. Never ran again. Insurance totalled it. This has been one of the stormiest , hottest most unsettled summer I've seen in a long time. Hope the weather is better where you guys are.

Pap
07-20-2016, 08:32 PM
It's been nice here in western Pa. Riding almost every day now that SOMEONE went south.....
Glad your wife is OK.
They make new vehicles every day.

shooter
07-20-2016, 08:45 PM
Yeah she was parked. If she had been out of the car it probably would have killed her. Hit the roof rail on top and burned a hole right thru it. Fried all the wiring , modules and relays on the vehicle.

Pap
07-20-2016, 08:46 PM
Dayum! Someone was looking out for her!:yes:

stroguy
07-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Damn that's some scary shite. I had a bolt hit a 40' tower I was standing next to at an airport in NOLA. Nothing but a flash and ringing ears. Thank God it had some MCM500 connected to a lightning rod. Been hot here in Houston but I have seen it much worse. Stay wet and hydrated buddy, need my steak.

shooter
07-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Stro , its been a rough year buddy. I need that week off. I'm gonna buy you the best steak that Duke can afford.

stroguy
07-20-2016, 09:25 PM
I love that guy!

shooter
07-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Me too. He's single and he's got fat pockets. Money to burn!! Me? I've got my fourth grandchild due in a few weeks. Plus , my Baby had to have a new Jeep.

wjduke
07-20-2016, 09:55 PM
I got fat, but it isn't in my pockets. You guys swelter, I pay....what math is that, common core? My summer is great so far. was low 80's today. Might hit 90 this weekend, but it won't last....sorry.

MisterB
07-20-2016, 10:10 PM
I'll back up Shooter on this as I'm right across the river. Just returned from 100+ in Utah with 2% humidity, lovely. You sweat all day but don't know it because it evaporates and does its job.
95 degrees here in St. Louis area with 86% humidity and its just gross. Your natural cooling system simply doesn't work because the sweat doesn't evaporate.
Rode this weekend and decided to put the stock windshield back on for a couple months if I'm gonna ride at all.

wjduke
07-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Don't know how its going where you guys are but here in the Midwest we are having a scorcher of a summer. It started the first of June and hasn't let up yet. 95 or hotter everyday , 70% humidity and then it storms every other day. Had a new Cherokee we bought last year , actually 10 months ago. About 7 weeks ago wife drove it to work and lightning hit it while she was in it and running. Killed it. Never ran again. Insurance totalled it. This has been one of the stormiest , hottest most unsettled summer I've seen in a long time. Hope the weather is better where you guys are.

That's crazy....never heard of that happening.

unsub
07-20-2016, 10:41 PM
Overcast most everyday, w/light rain. Just starting to warm up now..low 70's

If I recall we had a member that was struck by lightning in 2013 while riding his F6B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IE-yycUZTM

and one killed just the other day.
http://wlos.com/news/local/motorcycle-rider-hit-killed-by-lightning-near-mt-mitchell-state-park

Steve 0080
07-20-2016, 11:33 PM
100* + in FLA with 100% humidity... yea !!! Can't wait for October !!!!

Most of my riding is after the sun goes down !!!

shooter
07-21-2016, 12:45 AM
That's the bad thing. Its only getting down to 80 tonight. At 9pm it was 90 with 75% humidity. Thank god for AC.

shooter
07-21-2016, 12:46 AM
That's crazy....never heard of that happening.

She glows in the dark now Wayne.

shooter
07-21-2016, 12:49 AM
I got fat, but it isn't in my pockets. You guys swelter, I pay....what math is that, common core? My summer is great so far. was low 80's today. Might hit 90 this weekend, but it won't last....sorry.

See!!! You're saving money on AC. We will be fine big guy.

wjduke
07-21-2016, 04:31 AM
See!!! You're saving money on AC. We will be fine big guy.

I don't even have AC. I do suffer a bit in here when it gets hot, but I got steaks I gotta pay for before I stay comfortable, evidently :shock:

bgd8rd
07-21-2016, 05:36 AM
I'm feeling you over here in KC too. Just a brutal summer. I mean the humidity just won't stop. Miserable. Where is 88 degrees and 50% humidity when you need it....? :-|

willtill
07-21-2016, 05:49 AM
They are talking about a "heat dome" positioning itself over major parts of the U.S. from now and through the weekend.

And I have a Poker run that is probably going to sap all of my energy this Saturday... :shhh:

Speaking of heat... and motorcycles... and sweating.... I made a discovery of sorts a couple of days ago, it was sort of "embarrassing" after it was pointed out to me. :icon_redface:

Seems that we all sweat in the saddle while riding in these summer temperatures. I had rode for a couple of hours last weekend and then decided to pull into a local watering hole for a beverage. Getting off my bike and then into the establishment; the friendly barmaid asked me "why are your jeans all wet"? and I replied "what do you mean?" and she said that "you look like you wet your pants" and sure enough when I looked at the reflection of my backside; my fades jeans were completely wet :shock:

Now I have developed a case of self consciousness each time I get off my bike after a run in these temps, and can't quite figure out how to deal with it.

stevenolts
07-21-2016, 06:06 AM
I live in Ofallon, MO and it has been brutal this year. I am trying to wear my gear on the way to and from work.
The Dainese mesh really flows air way better than my other mesh gear.

I tried my old Scorpion mesh jacket yesterday for a change and about passed out on the way home. The Dainese is way better!!!

I bought a Dainese Air Frame Jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket

Dainese Drake Super Air pants
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-drake-super-air-tex-pants
Steve

MisterB
07-21-2016, 06:11 AM
They are talking about a "heat dome" positioning itself over major parts of the U.S. from now and through the weekend.

And I have a Poker run that is probably going to sap all of my energy this Saturday... :shhh:

Speaking of heat... and motorcycles... and sweating.... I made a discovery of sorts a couple of days ago, it was sort of "embarrassing" after it was pointed out to me. :icon_redface:

Seems that we all sweat in the saddle while riding in these summer temperatures. I had rode for a couple of hours last weekend and then decided to pull into a local watering hole for a beverage. Getting off my bike and then into the establishment; the friendly barmaid asked me "why are your jeans all wet"? and I replied "what do you mean?" and she said that "you look like you wet your pants" and sure enough when I looked at the reflection of my backside; my fades jeans were completely wet :shock:

Now I have developed a case of self consciousness each time I get off my bike after a run in these temps, and can't quite figure out how to deal with it.

Have you got beads on your seat? They've helped me immensely.

stevenolts
07-21-2016, 06:12 AM
As far as the sweaty pants I use my old Harley Davidon Circulator Seat pad which flows air under your ass. It will help but some days there is not much you can do. It makes a big difference and if it rains you can pull it out and your Mustang seat seams wont get you all wet.

I know it seems like it would be hotter than wearing a t-shirt and shorts to wear the gear but it actually keeps you cooler in the long run. Also you are better protected from the sun and the road rash.
Steve

Steve 0080
07-21-2016, 06:33 AM
The air pants really do work...I wear them with,https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-heat-out-riding-shorts, and everybody stays cool !!! I wear their tops as well.

stevenolts
07-21-2016, 06:44 AM
Are the heat out underwear better than under armor?
Steve

shooter
07-21-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm feeling you over here in KC too. Just a brutal summer. I mean the humidity just won't stop. Miserable. Where is 88 degrees and 50% humidity when you need it....? :-|

Yeah and I mean that ain't that great but its so much better than what we have.

Davidk
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
I live in Ofallon, MO and it has been brutal this year. I am trying to wear my gear on the way to and from work.
The Dainese mesh really flows air way better than my other mesh gear.

I tried my old Scorpion mesh jacket yesterday for a change and about passed out on the way home. The Dainese is way better!!!

I bought a Dainese Air Frame Jacket
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-air-frame-textile-jacket

Dainese Drake Super Air pants
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-drake-super-air-tex-pants
Steve

Are the pants cooler than motorcycle jeans with kevlar?

stevenolts
07-21-2016, 01:57 PM
They are cooler than regular jeans / Levis
Steve