PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with a 16".madstad?

MotoMike
07-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Tried to do a search for an answer, saw the 11" mentions, but no 16" s.
I'm 5' 11" and currently run a medium ht tour width vented Clearview with recurve, and still get the buffet around the top of the helmet at speed. After research on the Madstad (never heard of it before I visited here) I've decided to get one, but, not sure what height to get for clean air at least an inch above my cladded skull. Windshield reviews are a toss it seems, a lot of people that share similar body dimensions share different air pocket experiences with a given shield of a given height.
I'm wondering if I should go with the 16 or if it might be overkill. I'm afraid to go with the 11 and then find my skull still gets hit with dirty air. 13 is a possibility but I want a definite boundary layer buffer zone. I already spent a chunk on the Clearview, I can't afford the shield sampling cruise. Incidentally, when I do get the right shield, I will offer the Clearview here first.

naga viper
07-21-2016, 03:24 AM
I do not have a 16" but for me the 13"was was at max and was getting a whistling so I called Mark and came up with a 15" with modified holes in can run low for almost all rides except hi ways then I have to put it up higher. So anyway they are good to work with its not a buy a product and see you later company.

willtill
07-21-2016, 05:55 AM
Tried to do a search for an answer, saw the 11" mentions, but no 16" s.
I'm 5' 11" and currently run a medium ht tour width vented Clearview with recurve, and still get the buffet around the top of the helmet at speed. After research on the Madstad (never heard of it before I visited here) I've decided to get one, but, not sure what height to get for clean air at least an inch above my cladded skull. Windshield reviews are a toss it seems, a lot of people that share similar body dimensions share different air pocket experiences with a given shield of a given height.
I'm wondering if I should go with the 16 or if it might be overkill. I'm afraid to go with the 11 and then find my skull still gets hit with dirty air. 13 is a possibility but I want a definite boundary layer buffer zone. I already spent a chunk on the Clearview, I can't afford the shield sampling cruise. Incidentally, when I do get the right shield, I will offer the Clearview here first.

I am in the same boat you are regarding dimensions... with the medium Clearview recurve. It looks great on the bike... but the buffeting at speed is mildly irritating. Coincidentally I "almost" pulled the trigger on a medium gray 15" Madstadt yesterday... but didn't because I still am trying to convince myself that it's not as butt ugly as it appears to look on the bike.

I do not have a 16" but for me the 13"was was at max and was getting a whistling so I called Mark and came up with a 15" with modified holes in can run low for almost all rides except hi ways then I have to put it up higher. So anyway they are good to work with its not a buy a product and see you later company.

Can you elaborate a little more on these "modified" holes that were built into your Madstadt shield? Am most interested.

Wing'n it
07-21-2016, 07:09 AM
I run a 15 inch on my bike and can still see clearly over the top with it all the way down. I also have the 11 inch front piece that I swap on sometimes. As far as wind buffeting goes the 11 inch will push the wind over me cleanly with it all the way up and canted forward slightly and i'm 6'4" tall! Think of it as a short shield with a wind deflector mounted on it, the front section will create a low pressure behind it that actually helps pull the air up the front of the bike eliminating the "backdraft" you get with a single shield that will pull air in from the sides causing the buffeting. Will, once you ride with one you will get over the looks thing real fast! Yes, they are that awesome. Unless somebody invents a single shield that does what the Madstad does i'm staying with it.

BTW, at 5'11" you will NOT be able to see over a 15 inch Madstad even with it all the way down! I'm looking over my 15 inch but I'm 6'4" and on a raised seat from Hartco.

willtill
07-21-2016, 10:14 AM
I saw a good photographic comparison of the 13" and the 15" Madstadt this morning on this site, while I was searching for more data on the Madstadt's.

See post #187 in the link below:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?991-Madstad-for-F6B/page10&highlight=madstadt

Post #242 of the next below link shows the awesome coverage of the 15" in the raised position:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?991-Madstad-for-F6B/page13&highlight=madstadt

What I am particularly liking with the Madstadt... is that the base is PERFECT for mounting a GPS underneath it; with no apparent obstruction of the gauges... and the GPS will be in a better view visually; as opposed to how I have it mounted with a suction cup mount; on the upper left side of my Clear View shield.

imported_NMRed
07-21-2016, 10:22 AM
I am six foot even, 32 inch inseam and with the stock seat I see over the top of my 15 inch Madstad with no problems.

Wing'n it
07-21-2016, 12:06 PM
I saw a good photographic comparison of the 13" and the 15" Madstadt this morning on this site, while I was searching for more data on the Madstadt's.

See post #187 in the link below:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?991-Madstad-for-F6B/page10&highlight=madstadt

Post #242 of the next below link shows the awesome coverage of the 15" in the raised position:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?991-Madstad-for-F6B/page13&highlight=madstadt

What I am particularly liking with the Madstadt... is that the base is PERFECT for mounting a GPS underneath it; with no apparent obstruction of the gauges... and the GPS will be in a better view visually; as opposed to how I have it mounted with a suction cup mount; on the upper left side of my Clear View shield.

Willtill, let me get you some pics as that is exactly where I mounted my GPS. Ram mount ball bolted to the back of the Madstad base shield and it works perfect as it blocks nothing and puts it right where you need it, in front of you.

That mounting system in that second link is not what they are using now, mine has slotted holes that let you raise and lower and tip the top in or out to change the angle.

ths61
07-21-2016, 12:28 PM
I am six foot even, 32 inch inseam and with the stock seat I see over the top of my 15 inch Madstad with no problems.

Same here (6' tall, 32" inseam, stock seat, 15" MadStad). Started with a 13" which didn't work for my passenger so went to the 15". The 15" works better all the way down than the 13" did all the way up.

MotoMike
07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Well, deductions made after checking out the pics in the links, and the mixed bag of experiences from youse commenters, plus the fact that if I go with an RDL seat will raise me another 1-2", I'm thinkin the 15" run all the way down might be the best choice for me. Thanks fellas for helping to extropolate the possibles.

willtill
07-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Willtill, let me get you some pics as that is exactly where I mounted my GPS. Ram mount ball bolted to the back of the Madstad base shield and it works perfect as it blocks nothing and puts it right where you need it, in front of you.

That mounting system in that second link is not what they are using now, mine has slotted holes that let you raise and lower and tip the top in or out to change the angle.

Cool! Thanks! :yes:

Wing'n it
07-21-2016, 07:03 PM
Heres the pics of the GPS mount on the Madstad windshield system. The Zumo 595 has a huge cord connector so I cut a hole at the base of the shield that is about 3/8 x 1-1/8 rectangle and it can not be seen through the black base shield also serves as drain hole. GPS is secure and does not shake or vibrate sun glare can be an issue at certain time but not been a problem so far. You can also see the adjustable mount system for the outer shield.
The middle pic is my view from the seat, 15 inch shield all the way down and kicked slightly out at the top.

willtill
07-22-2016, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the pictures Wing'n it :yes:

That is a perfect solution for mounting the GPS to the bike via the Madstadt. Just how I would've envisioned it with my GPS. As far as glare goes, I get the same effect from sunlight as well... but have been exploring hoods for my GPS... may just end up "fabricating" one.

willtill
08-15-2016, 07:06 AM
Hi Wing'n it... Just an update...

I finally got my Magellan Roadmate mounted with a RAM mount.. same manner as you had done.... though I didn't have to cut anything out for the power cord lead, since there was enough of a gap at the corner of the lower Madstad shield; where it meets the front fairing.

Still need to carefully Dremel off the excess bolt length that you can see in the Pic... Home Despot did not have the exact bolts I was looking for in black oxide :icon_doh: .. and didn't feel like running around to different stores yesterday in search of the perfect bolt(s).

Also removed the old Clearview weatherstripping and re-applied new 7/16" thick weatherstripping from Home Despot ...no more ugly gaps... :yes:

This Magellan Roadmate was a $89.00 special buy from Costco... not a waterproof unit though a sandwich baggie can easily be slipped over it if the weather turns inclement (been there, done it and it works). I just couldn't see paying $500-600.00+ for a motorcycle rated all weather GPS unit...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ni75u1.jpg

lloydmoore1
08-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Well, deductions made after checking out the pics in the links, and the mixed bag of experiences from youse commenters, plus the fact that if I go with an RDL seat will raise me another 1-2", I'm thinkin the 15" run all the way down might be the best choice for me. Thanks fellas for helping to extropolate the possibles.

check out this link it might help

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?8406-What-s-Ya-MadStad-Stats