PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a couple of questions

STRaider
07-22-2016, 06:07 PM
After lurking this site a while, I finally traded the ST and got a lightly used Red and Black Deluxe (my alma mater's colors), 2230 miles, pretty well equipped with floor boards, different (nice) grips, really nice highway pegs (seem to be spring loaded), a luggage rack, driver backrest added, and an after market windshield. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what brand of wind shield this is? I am not sure if I am going to want a taller one, I need to ride for a few days to be sure. This one comes way back toward the driver. 2236122362

It's nice to finally have one of these fine machines, and look forward to all the good information here.

Greg O
07-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Looks like a National Cycle product, but I could be wrong.

STRaider
07-22-2016, 06:23 PM
Looks like a National Cycle product, but I could be wrong.

Thank you. I apologize for the formatting. The pics are not oriented that way, not sure why they loaded that way.

Steve 0080
07-22-2016, 10:40 PM
Congrats and 'welcome gang' to the board !!!!

STRaider
07-22-2016, 11:30 PM
Congrats and 'welcome gang' to the board !!!!

Thanks. I'm excited to be here. I've been reading up on here tonight, and raised the tire pressures to 40/40, and adjusted the rear suspension, customized the start up display, presets, etc.

I posted when I first joined about feeling a little closed in and narrow on the ST. At 6'4" and despite a lot of farkling, I just couldn't get the comfort where I needed it, felt too big for the bike and my legs and arms just not spread out enough. The ride home from the dealership today was awesome. I was much more comfortable, and actually, more confident on the freeways today. I am realizing how high the center of gravity was on the ST. This bike is effortless to ride, requires very little shifting, and has plenty of power to get you away from other vehicles if needed. I am not a new rider, but I really did feel "safer" on this bike today, the inherent risks of riding considered, of course.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more great info from everyone here. I'm sure I'll have plenty more answers to search for as I get more familiar with the bike.

Patch
07-23-2016, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the board! If you get down Austin-way, holler at me. Would be glad to ride with ya. That goes for anyone heading to/around Austin.
.welcome20.

Steve 0080
07-23-2016, 07:49 AM
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9094-New-F6B-Owners-Here-s-some-collected-gouge-to-get-you-going-Updated-4-Jul

There is some good stuff here...look thru the archives back to the beginning, could save you some money !!!!

Greg O
07-23-2016, 08:16 AM
I lurked around also before I bought my Black F6B. Alot of good info here. Welcome to the forum.

53driver
07-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Welcome to THE best place for F6B riders!

I'd definitely read all of "The Garage" and the "General Message" sections.
Check out the Rally in September and actually see and talk to people who have thousands upon thousands of miles on this creature.

Have fun, ask questions, and enjoy!
Steve

GaTeach
07-28-2016, 06:59 PM
BESTBIKEEVER

STRaider
07-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Thanks all. I've been reading a lot of the suggested items. Really good info. I got to take the F6B out today for my first extended ride, just over 300 miles. This is already my favorite bike I've owned. Smooth, comfortable, plenty of power and just miles of fun. What a machine.

53driver
07-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks all. I've been reading a lot of the suggested items. Really good info. I got to take the F6B out today for my first extended ride, just over 300 miles. This is already my favorite bike I've owned. Smooth, comfortable, plenty of power and just miles of fun. What a machine.

You did check the final drive oil level before heading out, right?

STRaider
07-30-2016, 10:28 PM
:shock:

53driver
07-31-2016, 05:53 PM
:shock:

You did look at my VERY in depth post about what new owners should do, right?
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9094-New-F6B-Owners-Here-s-some-collected-gouge-to-get-you-going-Updated-27-Jul-2016

Lol.
Cheers,
Steve

STRaider
08-04-2016, 05:57 PM
You did look at my VERY in depth post about what new owners should do, right?
http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?9094-New-F6B-Owners-Here-s-some-collected-gouge-to-get-you-going-Updated-27-Jul-2016

Lol.
Cheers,
Steve

I did, but that slipped my memory for some reason. I did check it, and it was a tad low, so I filled it and spilled it, but it is good to go now. I will call Honda in California to notify them.

I swore I read on here somewhere to check the engine oil cold. Is that the consensus here?

53driver
08-04-2016, 07:34 PM
...I swore I read on here somewhere to check the engine oil cold. Is that the consensus here?

I don't think so...My owners manual is not handy right at the moment, but I I know after I change the oil, run the motor for a leak check for awhile, then check the dipstick - it's good to go!

STRaider
08-04-2016, 09:21 PM
I don't think so...My owners manual is not handy right at the moment, but I I know after I change the oil, run the motor for a leak check for awhile, then check the dipstick - it's good to go!

The manual says to run it for three or so minutes, then let it sit a couple of minutes. I know I read on here recently to check the "air and oil cold", but don't remember the thread. Just checking to see what most here do. Some of the tips you linked above are contrary to what Honda says, so just verifying best way to check the oil.

53driver
08-05-2016, 07:00 AM
The manual says to run it for three or so minutes, then let it sit a couple of minutes. I know I read on here recently to check the "air and oil cold", but don't remember the thread. Just checking to see what most here do. Some of the tips you linked above are contrary to what Honda says, so just verifying best way to check the oil.

Air cold - definitely.
Oil cold or after having set a bit so the oil can pool in the crankcase - makes sense.
Cheers,
Steve