PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and salutations!

Tankeryanker
07-26-2016, 08:29 AM
OK...so I've visited this site before but officially joined this morning! I'm a 63 year old fella that is looking to retire soon and am ready to take the F6B plunge!!! It was a tough decision, as I've been very enamored of the Triumph Rocket III. But, I've decided to go the F6B route! I owned a '79...back in the day...and have loved Wings ever since! I was one of the first on the central CA coast to fully dress my Wing with Vetter equipment and really, have wanted another ever since! I ride alone, so don't need ALL of the passenger paraphinalia that a full sized Wing has. I've found a blue 2015 locally and now I'm just waiting to hear from my banker!!! So...my question for y'all is...what , exactly, am i NOT going to like about the bike??? I already know I'm going to need a custom saddle...the stock one just feels funny. 'Course I'm used to the POS saddle on my Triumph Trophy!

Tankeryanker
07-26-2016, 08:39 AM
Well...turns out I DID join before!!! Silly me!!!:icon_redface:

Davidk
07-26-2016, 08:43 AM
WINDSHIELD!

I have tried several in an attempt to find the perfect one. Never did find it, but I have one that is tolerable. The choice is very personal, both in amount of wind you prefer, your size and placement on the bike.

Lots of manufacturers offer returns which gives you an opportunity to try before you commit. Also, you can buy used and if you don't like it, you can sell it and not loose much money. See if you can borrow a spare from someone local.

Cobraguy
07-26-2016, 08:47 AM
The only thing I don't like is when you get on the highway it just seems to go 80mph. Welcome

seadog
07-26-2016, 09:04 AM
They built me the most comfortable seat I have ever had out of the OEM seat. They take your measurements and pictures of you on the bike and build you a custom one off seat. Here are pics of the one they built for me425842594260https://www.day-long.com/contact/ They are right out there in your neck of the woods also. So you can either ship them the seat or drive in with an appointment after sending them all the info they need.

seadog
07-26-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall and found the Bagger Shield to be the one I like, It's the one that can go from 11 inches to 19 inches. So on a hot day you can flip the top section over and make it 11 inches. A lot of the guys like the Mad-Stad windshield also but there is a raft of windshield makers out there besides those two. You have a lot of surfing to do to cover them all.

Ixol Phaane
07-26-2016, 12:21 PM
The only thing I don't like is when you get on the highway it just seems to go 80mph. Welcome

Uggg... yours too?! :icon_rolleyes:

'welcome gang'
Welcome to the party, Tankeryanker!

wjduke
07-26-2016, 01:00 PM
Bike puts me to sleep out on the highway after about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. It's so smooth and with the engine so quiet, music blasting or not, I have to stop for a few.

114th COBRA
07-26-2016, 01:27 PM

+ 1 Seems like it's hard to keep it from wanting to go there. :icon_biggrin: .welcome20.

Retired Army
07-26-2016, 03:07 PM
My wife and I can't say enough about the Russell day long saddle. We have the dual model. He is located in CA, If you are close he dose drive in work. http://www.day-long.com/

jm21ddd15
07-26-2016, 08:54 PM

These bikes seem much happier going 80, than 55. At least the Matte-grey. Not sure about the other colors. :clap2:

Steve 0080
07-26-2016, 11:52 PM
'welcome gang' to the board !!!

taxfree4
07-27-2016, 02:16 AM
The riding position, footpeg placement especially, but a set of Kuryakyn Ergo II, III's or Rivco Aero's will fix that. The Boxster style engine does take up a lot of horizontal real estate so the foot-forward position becomes cramped, wish it was a 4 cylinder like the '79, but the pegs cure that with putting you in a forward, legs slightly splayed, position like your natural sitting position on a chair, or the can, six of one.

GaTeach
07-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Welcome! Best bike ever!

Suezanna, Anna, and I were having this discussion in Maggie the other morning.

We all replaced the stock windshield. It's horrible. Maybe ok for barhoppers, but really, who uses the F6B for a barhopper? It's a bike for serious riders. Anna and I both have the tall Honda vented. I like that shield but I went on the ride with the NE group and saw a red one with the dark smoked shield and it just looks rockstar. I'm working on that.

I changed the handlebars out for helibars because of right shoulder/wrist pain. Perfect now.

Suezanna lowered hers because her legs are about as long as my pinky finger. The bike fits Anna and I both perfectly-we are both around 5'10".

I don't like the way the bags open. Anna and Suezanna like the bags.

Once again, all personal preference.

And still BEST BIKE EVER. Enjoy.

TailGunner
07-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Hey Tanker, Check the cavtx board and you will find a great bunch of guys who also ride F6B including Big Larry (BigLry) if you meet him you will know why he is called that :) We all met while riding VTX's starting in 2002 and have kept in touch with rides and such. I say keep in touch because my group is the SoCal bunch, but we have a central and northern California chapters also.

BadDawg
07-28-2016, 06:04 PM

80 would have been nice. The cop assured me it was 87.

As far as what I would change. I got the Mustang Day Tripper. I wanted a lower seat but it is plenty comfortable for me. I love the standard size windshield, no desire for a trunk. Stock pegs are great. The one major change I'd make is cruise control. Honda has already got the word on that.

blackmetoc
07-30-2016, 09:44 AM
Bike puts me to sleep out on the highway after about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. It's so smooth and with the engine so quiet, music blasting or not, I have to stop for a few.

Strangely I have to stop for ice cream or beverages at about the same frequency!

blackmetoc
07-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Uggg... yours too?! :icon_rolleyes:

'welcome gang'
Welcome to the party, Tankeryanker!

They built me the most comfortable seat I have ever had out of the OEM seat. They take your measurements and pictures of you on the bike and build you a custom one off seat. Here are pics of the one they built for me223972239822399https://www.day-long.com/contact/ They are right out there in your neck of the woods also. So you can either ship them the seat or drive in with an appointment after sending them all the info they need.

I may be looking for a new seat in the future. Thanks for posting this.