PDA

View Full Version : Windshield choice

xltsport
07-27-2016, 07:23 PM
My 2013 f6b currently has a baggershield sport shield on it. I like the style of it wider at top,dark tint. But I would like a taller shield as I am 6'1" it has a smooth air flow. I have already slotted the mounting holes all the way to the bottom. It made it better but.... Now I want it taller.

smiley
07-27-2016, 08:15 PM
Have you given the 11"-19" Adjustable Baggershield any thought? Best of both worlds. I'm 6'2" and love the versatility.

opas ride
07-27-2016, 09:24 PM
You can adjust the Baggershield to maximum height of 21 inches with a few wiggles and changes so I am told...Mine is fine and I love the thing as I am only 5'9"and have no buffeting or disturbing wind noise...Maybe call Baggershield and ask about max height. BTW I have the adjustable 11"-19" style....Ride safe

taxfree4
07-28-2016, 04:11 AM
Or pop one of these on

BIGLRY
07-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Or pop one of these on
I love mine on top of a Klockwerks Flair

http://screencrush.com/442/files/2013/03/thumbs-up.jpg

53driver
07-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Finally mounted the Madstad I got at last year's rally.
Swapped the 13" for the 11" smoke black.

Looks totally cool and is VERY effective at throwing wind and rain over my 5'9" frame.

I am VERY pleased!

willtill
07-29-2016, 06:29 AM
Finally mounted the Madstad I got at last year's rally.
Swapped the 13" for the 11" smoke black.

Looks totally cool and is VERY effective at throwing wind and rain over my 5'9" frame.

I am VERY pleased!

Did you run and try the 13" shield at all? If so... what did you like/dislike about that size... as compared to the 11" that you've now mounted?

Old Ryder
07-29-2016, 10:30 AM
I have given up trying to remember all of the different shields I have had on the B.

As Tax mentioned, I use the MRA mini spoiler attached to the stock shield. It is about 90% as effective as the Madstad while the bike retains the same looks. I love it for the summertime when I want air. I fold it in the down position. If I want to listen to the music or need some protection (rain), I raise it up and the wind noise is gone and visibility is the same. The B is not the same bike when you add a full size windshield. JMHO of course.

53driver
07-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Did you run and try the 13" shield at all? If so... what did you like/dislike about that size... as compared to the 11" that you've now mounted?

Will - I couldn't 'comfortably' maintain my vision over the 13" - even in the lowest position. If I use perfect posture, I could just see over it, but i know I'm going to slouch after awhile and the Corbin Smuggler seat is a bit lower than stock so I opted for the 11. Also, I could have done the clear or lightly tinted in 13 and just looked through it, but aesthetics got the better of me and with the darkest coloring, I MUST look over it - especially at night and in tunnels.

Madstad engineering: The more of the windscreen you can get lower, the more airflow gets pushed up and over. So, if it's a toss up between sizes, I would get the bigger size and keep it lower on the mount.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

willtill
07-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Will - I couldn't 'comfortably' maintain my vision over the 13" - even in the lowest position. If I use perfect posture, I could just see over it, but i know I'm going to slouch after awhile and the Corbin Smuggler seat is a bit lower than stock so I opted for the 11. Also, I could have done the clear or lightly tinted in 13 and just looked through it, but aesthetics got the better of me and with the darkest coloring, I MUST look over it - especially at night and in tunnels.

Madstad engineering: The more of the windscreen you can get lower, the more airflow gets pushed up and over. So, if it's a toss up between sizes, I would get the bigger size and keep it lower on the mount.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve... very informative.

willtill
07-29-2016, 07:53 PM
Well gawd help me now... I just ordered a 13" medium gray Madstad. I hope this is the final windshield for this bike :icon_doh:

willtill
07-30-2016, 06:19 AM
Here's another pic of a F6B that I found on the 'net with the same shield I have just ordered. This F6B has a Mustang seat so the shield appears to be higher. I do hope that I have ordered enough shield. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam, sitting on a Ultimate King seat (which is higher than a Mustang/stock OEM seat)... I know that Madstad recommends 11" windshield for my dimensions... though each time I go with a manufacturer's recommendation for windshield size... it is never enough for me.

13" is a compromise between what I was going to get originally (a 15") and what they have recommended for me (a 11"). Recommendations by others on this forum have me decided for the 13"

http://i64.tinypic.com/wkpsm9.jpg

moosedog
07-30-2016, 07:43 AM
I have had only two different windshields - the stock one (sucks) and the Madstad, of which I am completely satisfied. I am 6', longer torso, stock seat, and the 11" shield at its highest setting is perfect 95% of the time. I am starting to think about an Ultimate King seat which raises your sitting position enough that I would go to the 13". I read somewhere on here that the 13" all the way down works better than the 11" all the way up.

willtill
07-30-2016, 07:57 AM
I have had only two different windshields - the stock one (sucks) and the Madstad, of which I am completely satisfied. I am 6', longer torso, stock seat, and the 11" shield at its highest setting is perfect 95% of the time. I am starting to think about an Ultimate King seat which raises your sitting position enough that I would go to the 13". I read somewhere on here that the 13" all the way down works better than the 11" all the way up.

Yes, that is a little mystifying to me as well. I know Steve remarked that the shields work better if all of the way down?

You would think that more windshield is better... if raised (more air being deflected overhead).

???

DaWadd
07-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Here's another pic of a F6B that I found on the 'net with the same shield I have just ordered. This F6B has a Mustang seat so the shield appears to be higher. I do hope that I have ordered enough shield. I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam, sitting on a Ultimate King seat (which is higher than a Mustang/stock OEM seat)... I know that Madstad recommends 11" windshield for my dimensions... though each time I go with a manufacturer's recommendation for windshield size... it is never enough for me.

13" is a compromise between what I was going to get originally (a 15") and what they have recommended for me (a 11"). Recommendations by others on this forum have me decided for the 13"

http://i64.tinypic.com/wkpsm9.jpg

Thats my bike with a 13" Madstad.

willtill
07-30-2016, 08:39 AM
Thats my bike with a 13" Madstad.

Yes, I hope you don't mind... I shamefully stole the pic from another forum :shhh:

Is the Madstad shield all of the way down in that picture?

53driver
07-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes, it definitely appears that way!

DaWadd
07-31-2016, 08:30 AM
Yes, I hope you don't mind... I shamefully stole the pic from another forum :shhh:

Is the Madstad shield all of the way down in that picture?

Yes It is all the way down.

F4 Customs
08-11-2016, 07:24 AM

bgd8rd
08-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Or pop one of these on

I have an X-Creen on my Klockwerks.. Works great! Second X-Creen, it's a must have IMO... Defeats the buffeting.

taxfree4
08-11-2016, 02:42 PM
I have an X-Creen on my Klockwerks.. Works great! Second X-Creen, it's a must have IMO... Defeats the buffeting.

I could not agree more, this little screen does wonders for the buffeting. Unless I tried it I would have never thought it could do what it does.

BIGLRY
08-11-2016, 03:09 PM
Yep, I run the same setup and love it.

stroguy
08-11-2016, 04:06 PM
X-Creen, hmmmmmm. But I do like some air hitting my helmet vent.

Larry, what's wrong with that dog? He looks stiff.

BIGLRY
08-11-2016, 04:42 PM
X-Creen, hmmmmmm. But I do like some air hitting my helmet vent.

Larry, what's wrong with that dog? He looks stiff.That is a cast of my guard dog Brute that I brought over from Germany. I had him for 9 yrs and when he passed i had a cast made of him and he sets at the front door still guarding day & night. Looks real as hell at night.

stroguy
08-11-2016, 04:48 PM
That's awesome. Love dogs. Wonder if anyone has done the stocker windshield with that X creen? Since its adjustable you can stay low with the lines of the B. Might have found my next toy for the B.

willtill
08-11-2016, 05:06 PM
That's awesome. Love dogs. Wonder if anyone has done the stocker windshield with that X creen? Since its adjustable you can stay low with the lines of the B. Might have found my next toy for the B.

Taxfree4 has the X-screen on the stocker, he made a YouTube vid about it

taxfree4
08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
That is a cast of my guard dog Brute that I brought over from Germany. I had him for 9 yrs and when he passed i had a cast made of him and he sets at the front door still guarding day & night. Looks real as hell at night.

Larry, so I guess that dog was schutzhund trained. Yes Stro I run the stock setup with the XCREEN, that's my 3 season setup.

BIGLRY
08-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Larry, so I guess that dog was schutzhund trained. Yes Stro I run the stock setup with the XCREEN, that's my 3 season setup.YES
It was taxfree who sent me the template for the MRA X-Creen to see if I could use the 'X-Creen Tour' on my raised Klockwerks flair which I have done and love it. I would have rather had a tinted X-Creen, but when a good deal on a used clear one came up I jumped on it and glad I did as them X-Creens ain't cheap and I have not seen any used ones on the market other than the one I bought.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-x-creen-tour-variable-windscreen-spoiler-blade

Felloverboard
08-12-2016, 08:15 AM
Since we allhave a leftover 7" stock screen it would seem that someone would make a contraption to utilize this with a special hookup to the tall Honda windsheild most have bought at the first. Anyone tried this ??

willtill
08-12-2016, 08:36 AM
Wonder how the X-Screen would enhance a 13" Madstad windshield? :shhh:

Can it even be made better? :shrug:

stroguy
08-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Taxfree4 has the X-screen on the stocker, he made a YouTube vid about it

Watched this morning, great vid. My only hold up is my cover that I use every day. It goes across the shield and it won't cover this X-Creen. I really want to try this. Somebody push me off the cliff.

BamBam
08-12-2016, 10:27 AM
After getting my seat right, I just ordered a Clearsheild Medium. It measures 14 to 14.75 from the bottom of the electronic display. The owner Chris is a great guy to talk to.

As a reference, if I sit on the bike and look straight ahead, that will put the new shield 4 fingers above the current stock shield (a very exact measuring technique :-P) This will keep it below my sight line. I also ordered it with the recurve to give me a few more inches of clean air. It should be here in 2 weeks. Hoping that will give me enough clean air to actually use my radio on the highway. lol

I'll post pictures and a review as soon as I can.

taxfree4
08-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Watched this morning, great vid. My only hold up is my cover that I use every day. It goes across the shield and it won't cover this X-Creen. I really want to try this. Somebody push me off the cliff.

All you have to do is fold the XCREEN all the way down and it sinks below your shield and it won't hinder the over at all.

BIGLRY
08-12-2016, 12:20 PM
All you have to do is fold the XCREEN all the way down and it sinks below your shield and it won't hinder the over at all.
+1