PDA

View Full Version : The end is near

dmize
07-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Tuesday I will be getting rid of one of the biggest disappointments of my life.
I will be trading my 14,000 mile 13 F6B on a 1,400 mile 12 Goldwing.
Its a sad day when a person has to trade back a year in order to come out of a deal "rightside up".
AND I will once again have a bike that I can actually wax and keep shiny.

shooter
07-31-2016, 11:14 AM
That's a shitty post. I see you're a big participant on this forum. Hopefully you'll leave. I have a feeling you won't like this one either.

opas ride
07-31-2016, 11:16 AM
Its a sad day when a person has to trade back a year in order to come out of a deal "rightside up".
Know the feeling my friend...Honda is notorious for introducing new models at a high MSRP and then "tanking" them a couple years later..As the only real way to come out ahead/even is to get the best deal you can and ride the wheels off the thing, keeping it as long as possible....My 2013 F6B with custom paint, Mustang seat, Cobra pipes, lots of other extras and 10,000 miles is only worth about $11,000 to $12,000, if I'm lucky, on a trade and I paid over $23,500 otd back in the fall of 2013....But I love the damn thing and cannot think of any other bike available right now that I would enjoy as much as the F6B....Ride safe

dmize
07-31-2016, 11:22 AM
No actually I traded a 2002 Goldwing in on the F6B.
Found out quickly that I could not wax or keep the bike clean,then found out Honda didn't care. Then found out that there are still 14 2013 F6B's in Honda warehouses that can be purchased new for about $13,000 which made my $19,000 deluxe model worth about $9,000.
Shitty thing is loosing $10,000 on a bike in 3 years.

dmize
07-31-2016, 11:27 AM
Yea this is my second hosing from Honda.
First was on my 2003 VTX 1800C,the one I bought because of the special limited time rebate,that ended up lasting over a year and increasing to over $3,000.
I want to emphasize I have no complaints about the machines but the company has really irritated me.

shooter
07-31-2016, 11:33 AM
So you guys blame Honda cause you made bad decisions? Sounds juvenile to me. Suck it up and live with your decision.

willtill
07-31-2016, 11:34 AM
Found out quickly that I could not wax or keep the bike clean,then found out Honda didn't care. Then found out that there are still 14 2013 F6B's in Honda warehouses that can be purchased new for about $13,000 which made my $19,000 deluxe model worth about $9,000.

Yeah, I feel your pain about the depreciation of the bike. I was at the Honda dealer yesterday looking at a Matte Silver 2015 F6B for 16K and a 2016 White F6B for 20K. These bikes do not hold their value... but that is not why I bought it. Depreciating value is a non-issue to me. I didn't buy it with intent to trade it in anytime soon.

stroguy
07-31-2016, 11:36 AM
That's a shitty post. I see you're a big participant on this forum. Hopefully you'll leave. I have a feeling you won't like this one either.

LOL!

Greg O
07-31-2016, 11:41 AM
If you are buying a bike for an investment that is absolutely crazy. It's supply and demand. Alot of supply and no demand drives down the price. I learned this in high school. Every little accessory is worth zero at trade in. With everything I have into my 1 year old 2013 which is about $19,000 it's worth maybe $12,000. Bikes don't increase in value, not even Harleys.

stroguy
07-31-2016, 11:48 AM
If you are buying a bike for an investment that is absolutely crazy. It's supply and demand. Alot of supply and no demand drives down the price. I learned this in high school. Every little accessory is worth zero at trade in. With everything I have into my 1 year old 2013 which is about $19,000 it's worth maybe $12,000. Bikes don't increase in value, not even Harleys.

10-4. If you think you will more than a dime back for accessorizing, you you you is missing da boat.

shooter
07-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Stro , Will , Greg , bout time you guys got here. I guess better late than never!! Felt like Audie Murphy in a bunker and the gooks were swarming.

stroguy
07-31-2016, 12:02 PM
I thought Murphy fought the French.....wtf?

shooter
07-31-2016, 12:05 PM
Whatever

MisterB
07-31-2016, 12:11 PM
... the only real way to come out ahead/even is to get the best deal you can and ride the wheels off the thing, keeping it as long as possible.....
Absolutely!
Everyone has different goals, but I try to imagine that each motorcycle I've bought will be the last and do my best to get the most out of it.
OTOH, (gonna cuss now since everyone else is!) I've got a shitty attitude regarding soft paint and appearance. I'm a fucking wreck so even a scratched up B looks good to my eyes.
I just can't waste valuable time worrying about it, she still rides like a dream. I usually ride solo so I don't have to worry about pissing contests on who's got the shiniest bike.
Seen too many vehicles get mashed up by other drivers to have any hope that I'm not gonna come out of someplace and see that a dually has backed over my bike or crunched my car.
Hope you enjoy your wing, shouldn't take much to get used to.

MisterB
07-31-2016, 12:33 PM
Then found out that there are still 14 2013 F6B's in Honda warehouses that can be purchased new for about $13,000 which made my $19,000 deluxe model worth about $9,000.
I can't help but think that perhaps, if I can swing it financially, my next bike will be a white 2016 that I'll purchase in 2019 for cheap! Doubt it though. Gotta make the most of the 2013, I'll have kids in college soon enough.
THIS is my last bike unless something amazing happens.

willtill
07-31-2016, 12:42 PM

Whatever

Perception of history only matters to how you want to re-tell the story :icon_lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

opas ride
07-31-2016, 12:52 PM
So you guys blame Honda cause you made bad decisions? Sounds juvenile to me. Suck it up and live with your decision.

I am not putting the blame on Honda for any reason and did not make any bad decision on my bike...Just stating the real world facts about most used bikes..Only stated what I paid vs. what the bike is currently worth...No plans to sell or trade anyhow so not an issue for me..Regards

seadog
07-31-2016, 01:08 PM
I am not putting the blame on Honda for any reason and did not make any bad decision on my bike...Just stating the real world facts about most used bikes..Only stated what I paid vs. what the bike is currently worth...No plans to sell or trade anyhow so not an issue for me..Regards

I also bought it to ride and not complain about the current value, no chance I will be selling it to try and make a buck on it. I am just going to keep running the wheels off of it until I cannot ride any further and will probably give it to my oldest boy for him to enjoy. Nicest machine I have every owned.

2kewlgypsy
07-31-2016, 01:38 PM
I heard of a guy once, that didn't wear out his woman properly ... he was keeping it fresh for the next guy.
(That was as PC as I could make the statement, considering we are in mixed company)

My Road Glide had 82,000 miles on it when I decided it was time - 82,000 well ridden miles, accessorized to my liking, and before that a GL1200 that I bought with 70k and sold off once I put on another 70k. I'm a big fan of making the bike the way I want it, and don't trade em in every couple of years - I'm guessing my 13 F6B will have 150-200 on her, and probably be worth $1500 when I'm done, but those miles are going to be joyous.
Much Respect
2Kewl

stroguy
07-31-2016, 02:07 PM
I heard of a guy once, that didn't wear out his woman properly ... he was keeping it fresh for the next guy.
(That was as PC as I could make the statement, considering we are in mixed company)

My Road Glide had 82,000 miles on it when I decided it was time - 82,000 well ridden miles, accessorized to my liking, and before that a GL1200 that I bought with 70k and sold off once I put on another 70k. I'm a big fan of making the bike the way I want it, and don't trade em in every couple of years - I'm guessing my 13 F6B will have 150-200 on her, and probably be worth $1500 when I'm done, but those miles are going to be joyous.
Much Respect
2Kewl

See Shooter, TEXANS ain'tnot stoopid.

stevenolts
07-31-2016, 02:17 PM
I do not regret my decision to buy the F6B at all. It is the best bike make for what I like to do which is ride it. It is great for almost all types of riding and is very comfortable. I have not found a better bike at any price.

I ride my bike almost every day and only clean it about once a month. Bikes are meant to ride and enjoy not keep spotless and show off.

I don't plan on letting some other guy ride my bike or my wife. I keep my rides for life if at all possible.
I have loved my 1981 CB750K for 35 years and my wife for 30 years.

Steve

Greg O
07-31-2016, 02:58 PM
I'm here Shooter, had to go to Walmart my favorite store (not). I not happy with the paint either I gave up trying to keep it nice 6 months ago. I will spend $1500 to get it painted in couple years. If the paint is my only complaint, then I've been done complaining 6 months ago.

Bdog
07-31-2016, 03:50 PM
I knew when I bought my 2015 from my local dealer that the F6B hadn't been big sellers and would probably not hold it's value very well but I did not care. I knew I liked it and wanted one. I am enjoying it and am glad I got it. what it is worth to someone else does not matter.

shooter
07-31-2016, 03:50 PM
Steve I love it when a guy is as passionate about his wife as he is his bike.

JackB
07-31-2016, 03:53 PM
I wasn't happy with the paint until I put Glare Polish on it last Apirl my black paint now looks better than great. It cost about $100 but worth it. Call them up and they will tell you what you need.
http://www.glare.com/products
Most of my new bikes from Honda including my F6B, I bought have been leftovers with big discounts. So I very happy with my bike.

unsub
07-31-2016, 04:23 PM
@OP
A motorcycle is essentially for entertainment and or sport, and not a primary vehicle. As such it should be purchased with disposable income. A motorcycle, unless it's an antique or classic should not be used as an investment or hedge against inflation. As funny as this sounds it'll only depreciate once you sell it.

So as others have said in not so many words - bikes especially the F6B, are for riding not cleaning. Something to think about before you throw good money after bad...

Best of luck.

willtill
07-31-2016, 04:33 PM
@OP
A motorcycle is essentially for entertainment and or sport, and not a primary vehicle. As such it should be purchased with disposable income. A motorcycle, unless it's an antique or classic should not be used as an investment or hedge against inflation. As funny as this sounds it'll only depreciate once you sell it.

So as others have said in not so many words - bikes especially the F6B, are for riding not cleaning. Something to think about before you throw good money after bad...

Best of luck.

So true. And this is how I regard my motorcycle(s). :yes:

VStarRider
07-31-2016, 05:20 PM
Phew. I am glad people are finally saying that bikes are meant for riding, not shining. Mine is in the garage right now, with bugs on it, some road dust here and there, and some spray from the time I got it caught in the rain a week ago. I haven't washed it, and plan on riding it back and forth to work all week.

Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me for not spending 20 hours per week washing, polishing, waxing, etc., based on what others seem to say/do.

willtill
07-31-2016, 05:54 PM
Phew. I am glad people are finally saying that bikes are meant for riding, not shining. Mine is in the garage right now, with bugs on it, some road dust here and there, and some spray from the time I got it caught in the rain a week ago. I haven't washed it, and plan on riding it back and forth to work all week.

Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me for not spending 20 hours per week washing, polishing, waxing, etc., based on what others seem to say/do.

Nope. :nono: Not at all. You are actually with the "silent majority"...

...meaning those whom have ultimately grasped the pure essence of riding a motorcycle. Cleaning it is an afterthought.

Now for those whom ride their "princess ponies"... :stirthepot:

Sorcerer
07-31-2016, 05:56 PM
2013 Deluxe Kelly Blue book, $14,480. Replacement value judged by State Farm vea what bikes are really selling for in my market. Seems the people that sold there bikes didn't ride them. My 2013 F6B should of only had 14,000 miles, not 34,495 miles.😧 pay out was $11,575. DONT total your ride. I went up used, one year to get my 2014 yellow deluxe. Let's just say that it was a very expencive experience.

opas ride
07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
Nope. :nono: Not at all. You are actually with the "silent majority"...

...meaning those whom have ultimately grasped the pure essence of riding a motorcycle. Cleaning it is an afterthought.

Now for those whom ride their "princess ponies"... :stirthepot:

I guess that is why you hardly every see a dirty Harley..Most spend their down time polishing the chrome while hanging out at the local dealers lot exchanging stories about their repairs...Oh, well to each his own.....Ride safe

powercruzer13
07-31-2016, 07:27 PM
I guess that is why you hardly every see a dirty Harley..Most spend their down time polishing the chrome while hanging out at the local dealers lot exchanging stories about their repairs...Oh, well to each his own.....Ride safe

My sentiments exactly.
Cleaning happens only when I have time & it looks bad enough to bother me. Coming from chrome laden Valkyries I do appreciate the lack of time consuming cleaning that our Bs require. I'll never understand the perfect paint worship that a lot of folks seem to have about their vehicles, I live in the real world where stuff gets nicked up if you ride or drive it. Complaints about the paint is low on my list on such a fine riding machine!

wjduke
07-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Matte Silver...no shining needed boys

dmize
07-31-2016, 07:46 PM
The guy that followed my initial post commented about my lack of posts here.
What is above is a good example as to why.
The soon to be departed F6B will be the first of my 10 bikes that I have traded that had less than 50,000 miles on it.
Unfortunately I don't have a job that pays well enough that I can view $20,000 as a "disposable investment".
I never implied anything bad towards the bike that was not directed to "Mother Honda".|
The reason for me getting in this mess,other than the paint and the fact that Honda doesn't give a shit. Is a car fell off a co-workers lift and partially landed on my right leg,that had already had a previous surgery. That surgery,a car falling and the following onset of arthritis was not even on my radar when I bought the bike,(buy a bike for life).
Sooooooooooooo you can imagine my surprise when,because I do love to ride,tried to trade into a 16 Goldwing because of nothing other than ergonomics,and since I work at a car dealership and was expecting to loose 5 to 6K and it turns in to double that.

prentiss213
07-31-2016, 07:51 PM
I bought my 2013 deluxe after selling my baby - my 2001 VTX 1800C at 41000 miles, which I absolutely did not baby at any point. That bike never let me down once, and was a big reason I bought the F6B. I certainly don't have money to burn, but I absolutely loved the combination of the F6B look with the Honda/Honda Goldwing reputation for quality and longevity. I scoured ads and found one with 4000 miles for 13500. It was more than I could afford and took a lot of convincing on my part to get the wife to agree for a loan on the bike. One of the biggest points that sold my wife on the bike is ads on Craigslist/Cycletrader where people are selling Wings with over 100,000 miles. If my F6B is going to last 100,000 miles what other bike can you compare it with? Longevity - and not having it in the repair shop constantly - is why i buy Honda. Longevity = real money, Less repairs = real money. Not shiny paint = I don't give a shit. I like to ride the back roads at night in NH, leaning the shit out of bike in 4th and blaring 80's music on Pandora. The bike makes me feel rich.

Wing'n it
07-31-2016, 07:51 PM
When I bought my 2015 Deluxe I went in looking for a leftover 14 because I wanted yellow so bad it was killing me. The dealer looked around and found no other dealer close that had a yellow one in stock. So I was going to continue my quest and he said they had a couple of new 15's still crated, one black and one blue, told him to let me see the blue and fell in love with that color! With extended warranty through 2021 I paid right at 22k and that was trading in the 14 Vaquero that they got me out from under. Got to buy em to ride cause you'll loose money as soon as you sign the papers.

powercruzer13
07-31-2016, 08:25 PM
$29,500 for both these Hondas new. Left over 2013's bought in 2014. Was well aware of the way Honda does things. Also was aware that these bikes would be the last ones we need to buy due to the legendary Honda reliability & our ages 58 and 52. Ride & enjoy.

opas ride
07-31-2016, 09:41 PM
$29,500 for both these Hondas new. Left over 2013's bought in 2014. Was well aware of the way Honda does things. Also was aware that these bikes would be the last ones we need to buy due to the legendary Honda reliability & our ages 58 and 52. Ride & enjoy.

I thought the bike I bought, a few years back, a 99 Valkyrie, would probably be my last bike due to my age..Now 17 years and 5 bikes later I hope to keep riding for a few more years and maybe 1 more bike....(only if Honda updates with a newer version of the F6B)....Ride safe and the day.....

broncsrule21
07-31-2016, 09:52 PM

Got my New 13 for 12,500 last week. :shock: Yeah, Im happy. Good luck with your new ride!

Az Wingrider
07-31-2016, 11:18 PM
I sold a 2007 Goldwing with 84,000 miles when I bought my 2015 Deluxe last year and I got 50% of what I paid for it. I also sold a 1997 Valkyrie this year. This is a a bike Honda couldn't sell and only produced for seven years. the Valkyrie was 19 years old and brought 60% of its purchase price.

I always negotiate when I buy a new bike and have never paid full retail for any bike. Honda has always made a great and dependable motorcycle. To me Hondas have always been a good value. I am super pleased with my 2015 Deluxe and I will probably never wear it out.

One good thing about F6B's not selling is that when people see one they notice it because there aren't many out there. I get a tremendous amount positive comments on mine everywhere I go.

Just a satisfied owner!!!!!

Wing'n it
08-01-2016, 06:30 AM
The dealers around me still have a few leftover F6B's in stock but NO leftover full Wings, they could have some but none at the dealers I was at. The full Wing has too great of a following and the F6 is kinda a novelty bike. You better like it because you can't own it for any kind of value except enjoyment.

Chas
08-01-2016, 04:14 PM
I have been riding for over 50 years and I have NEVER heard of a bike gaining value, unless you find one that is older than the hills and then restore it. But, you spend more doing that then it is worth. As for paint, I have a red F6 and took time to find cleaners and waxes that do not take the paint off. There are many brands out there. Good luck with your Wing. Don't tell anyone, but it won't hold it's value either. :tissue:

powercruzer13
08-01-2016, 07:25 PM
I thought the bike I bought, a few years back, a 99 Valkyrie, would probably be my last bike due to my age..Now 17 years and 5 bikes later I hope to keep riding for a few more years and maybe 1 more bike....(only if Honda updates with a newer version of the F6B)....Ride safe and the day.....

LOL!
How long did we Valkyrie riders wait for something flat six powered other than the full boat GoldWing to come from Honda? We had our Valks for 8 years & probably still would have them if not for the F6B coming out.

BobR
08-01-2016, 07:35 PM
LOL!
How long did we Valkyrie riders wait for something flat six powered other than the full boat GoldWing to come from Honda? We had our Valks for 8 years & probably still would have them if not for the F6B coming out.

+1 agreed Ed.

RTaz
08-01-2016, 08:32 PM
LOL!
+2 agreed!

BIGLRY
08-01-2016, 09:34 PM
LOL!
How long did we Valkyrie riders wait for something flat six powered other than the full boat GoldWing to come from Honda? We had our Valks for 8 years & probably still would have them if not for the F6B coming out.About the same amount of time we V-Twin riders waited for Honda to come out with a real thumping, 110in, full size V-twin cruiser i.e. VTX1800.;roughrider;

Then have Honda modify its flag ship the GL1800 with the production of the F6B which IMO was a big move up in comfort for me. Also to see the flat six power plant in a whole different perspective than I had experienced on my Runes.'gw-smiley'
:beer3:

opas ride
08-01-2016, 10:15 PM
LOL!

As I am fast approaching the ripe old age of 77 (Next January) I doubt I will have the chance to see an up-dated F6B that I can handle. As much as I love my current ride, a lighter/smaller bike is probably in the cards for next year. Almost traded for a leftover 2015 Honda Interstate last month, but came to my senses for now and decided to keep the 6 for a while longer....Ride safe

3Chief
08-02-2016, 12:06 AM

I bought my B 9 months ago, the only reason I gave it a brief scrub the other day was an unfortunate encounter with a bird...

Jimmytee
08-02-2016, 05:04 AM
LOL!

Heh, I'm still riding my Valkyrie.:icon_wink:

I was steadily racking up the miles on my F6B. Really don't want to buy another set of tires before the Rally, so I'm trying to spend more time on the Valkyrie lately. Not exactly a sacrifice.:icon_biggrin: The old Phat girl still pleases.

Felloverboard
08-02-2016, 08:06 AM
As I am fast approaching the ripe old age of 77 (Next January) I doubt I will have the chance to see an up-dated F6B that I can handle. As much as I love my current ride, a lighter/smaller bike is probably in the cards for next year. Almost traded for a leftover 2015 Honda Interstate last month, but came to my senses for now and decided to keep the 6 for a while longer....Ride safe

I owned a 2010 Honda Interstate before the F6B. It is a great short trip or Saturday night bike. But for longer trips it will kill you. It looks great with the teardrop tank and extended front end, but extreme twin cruiser heat when sitting at a light in the summer. It killed me on a 600 mile trip to the mountains, but the F6B was a comfortable pleasure to ride. I still miss the Interstate, it is acool bike to ride around town. It does have a low seat and a very low center of gravity also. Very easy to handle. You would have to pull the vinyl on the seat back and insert extra memory foam or get a better seat too.

grendl
08-13-2016, 11:44 PM
The only thing I know of that makes money is money and I never had enough for that to work. Vehicles,no matter what you buy new depreciate as soon as you leave the lot.
With my bikes,I have been lucky enough to choose what I want compare my dollars to what it cost and buy it. I never worried about it With the F6B,I didnt have the 19900 asking price new and was thinking to violate my rule,as someone else mentioned to finance it.Then,in March 2013 - while looking for a piece for my Hurricane I see an F6B 2,000 miles on it for 14000. I had experienced a stroke of luck,but needed to replace my daughters transmission and maintain my household.I bid and couldnt believe in the last few minutes of the auction that I was actually going to get it.
Right now I dont care what I can sell it for,It's not for sale. I love this bike-if you gave me 100000.dollars for it,I would sell ,just to buy 5 more....or maybe seven of them since they depreciate so fast. hmmm...how many colors do they come in :-)

shortleg0521
08-14-2016, 04:15 PM

No that would be the Germans my friend!

Dave Ritsema
08-14-2016, 05:08 PM
The soon to be departed F6B will be the first of my 10 bikes that I have traded that had less than 50,000 miles on it.
Unfortunately I don't have a job that pays well enough that I can view $20,000 as a "disposable investment".
I never implied anything bad towards the bike that was not directed to "Mother Honda".|
The reason for me getting in this mess,other than the paint and the fact that Honda doesn't give a shit. Is a car fell off a co-workers lift and partially landed on my right leg,that had already had a previous surgery. That surgery,a car falling and the following onset of arthritis was not even on my radar when I bought the bike,(buy a bike for life).
Sooooooooooooo you can imagine my surprise when,because I do love to ride,tried to trade into a 16 Goldwing because of nothing other than ergonomics,and since I work at a car dealership and was expecting to loose 5 to 6K and it turns in to double that.

I had a 2013 F6B for about 18 months, and yes I did lose some money when I sold it. My previous bike, a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate that I owned for almost 12 years was up to that time, the finest motorcycle I owned in over 40 years of riding. When I decided it was time to buy a new bike I knew it was going to be a Honda with that beautiful flat six, the only question was which model. I tried the new Valkyrie first. I really wanted to love it, but frankly there was nothing about it that I liked. I then sat on a full Wing and immediately hated the cramped riding position. I then sat on the F6B and it felt the most like my Valkyrie. When my dealer offered me nearly what I had paid for my Valkyrie in 2001 on trade it was a no brainer.

I added an Ultimate seat and some risers and it just fit great, and frankly it did everything better than my old Valkyrie did, except for looks. Like has been said, the new water based paint is soft and my 15 year old bike had better looking paint than my year old F6B. I have since learned that there is a solution to that at your local Honda Dealer or online in the form of Glare products, so that issue is essentially a NON issue. What I couldn't fix however was my wifes comfort on the F6B. She just could never get comfortable after being tucked into the tour pack of the Valkyrie Interstate and as this is something we enjoy together I reluctantly decide to look at new Wings. I really did like the look of the 40th anniversary bikes and got a fair deal on a new 2015 still in the crate from my dealer. The seating position was a concern and I already knew I wouldn't be comfortable on the Wing but I went ahead with the sale anyway. With the addition of Kuryakyn drop down peg mounts, (helped a little) and an Ultimate King seat, (helped ALOT) I am now happy with what I am riding.

I have two points to make here for you. First of all, the F6B really is a great bike, and if I always rode solo I would ride it another 15 years. You just cant expect to buy a bike and to keep it for a year or two and not lose money. Unless you bought your bike in 2013 when they first came out it was obvious that this bike had slow sales and discounted prices and anyone saavy at all with vehicle prices could see that this bike was not going to keep its value well. I knew that when I bought AND sold mine, no reason to complain about it, just simple economics.

The second point is a cautionary tale for you, if you think the full Wing is going to be more comfortable than the F6B you may find as I already knew that this is not the case. The full Wing is considerably more cramped than the F6B and you will likely find that you have to spend $1500 or more on drop down boards, a different seat and risers to make it as comfortable as the F6B is right out of the box. I am simply offering you my experience and hoping that you might find at least part of it helpful. I wish you well with your next bike.

Audiochris90
08-14-2016, 06:55 PM

Well the way you framed your original post seemed like a stab at my fav bike. I took offense to that. They think Harley guys are defensive, i almost went jihadi on a stupid guy with a shopping cart he put next to my B. After a short read, the depreciation is your beef? And your selling for paint issues? And your loosing thousands on the trade. I'm just a simple guy but i would suggest PAINT IT DUDE. You'll probably be the envy of us all with a cool paint job.

motozeke
08-14-2016, 08:34 PM
This may seem sacreligious to some here, but all I ever do to my black 2013 is spray & wipe with Plexus. Still get compliments everywhere I go.

And I'd only care about resale value if I had to sell it, and if I had to sell it I'd have much bigger problems in my life than whether Honda got too much out of me on the front end.

My 2011 Ducati Multistrada was a disappointment. This bike, definitely not. I figure I'll ride it until it dies.

broncsrule21
08-14-2016, 09:37 PM
I'm new here but I am enjoying this bike completely. It worked for me money wise since I paid 12,500 for a left over '13. I figure most of the depreciation is gone. But, I plan on this bike lasting me a long, long, time. Maybe a custom paint job will be in the works at some point. Has any body went and had a clear coat added to their stock paint?

powercruzer13
08-14-2016, 10:12 PM
I had my HD friends explain to me that I was totally stupid in many ways for not buying a Harley when I re-entered the biking world about 10-12 years ago. They explained to me that you could buy a new HD, ride it for a couple years then sell it for a small profit. LOL! So I did my own research.
Buy the Harley, $23-24K equipped like I wanted. Buy a "Jap Junk" {Valkyrie} equivalent for $13-14K.
The HD loses 15% or so in two years. That's about $3600.
The "Jap Junk" loses 30% of it's value in two years. That's about $4500.
Figure in the much higher payment you were making on the HD for the first two years of the finance note & the small difference disappears.
Bottom line a financial wash. But... you get to ride a far superior motorcycle for that time, at least in the case of a flat six Honda. :yes:
But who in the heck thinks like that about a motorcycle purchase? I sure don't!
BTW, try that depreciation math on a Harley nowadays! The market is flooded with nice late model HDs! LOL.

BIGLRY
08-14-2016, 10:52 PM
“If you are trying to sell or buy a used motorcycle, you might be interested in the depreciation value of your scoot or one you are looking at. The depreciation value is the value of a motorcycle after a set number of years, and can be determined by a simple formula used by a variety of motorcycle dealers and associations across the nation and how I approach it.

1. Begin by determining the salvage value of the motorcycle. You can determined this by taking 15 percent of the Kelley Blue Book value of the motorcycle as most insurance companies do. Also determine the value of the motorcycle when purchased.

2. Calculate the estimated useful life of the motorcycle by subtracting the number of years since its production from eight (8), the typical lifespan of a motorcycle. I know some of you will balk at this as there are a lot older scooters out there that are great machines and comand a higher value. For our purposes we are using a national average of eight yrs

3. Plug the values into the following formula: (Cost of motorcycle -- Salvage Value) / Estimated Useful Life = Annual depreciation value. Example: ($12,500 - $1,875) / 8 = $1,328 per year.

4. Multiply the value you calculated in Step 2 by the number of years since you purchased the motorcycle. Then subtract that value from the purchase value of the motorcycle to get the depreciated value. Example: $12,500 - (5 years x $1,328) = $5,860.

Now you have a starting point when buying or selling, of course condition, milage, demand all play a part and as we all know aftermarket parts are usually never considered by dealers when trading in.

willtill
08-15-2016, 06:15 AM
<SNIP>

2. Calculate the estimated useful life of the motorcycle by subtracting the number of years since its production from eight (8), the typical lifespan of a motorcycle. I know some of you will balk at this as there are a lot older scooters out there that are great machines and comand a higher value. For our purposes we are using a national average of eight yrs

<SNIP>

Balk! :yikes:

Only eight years...? What is this... a "throw away" motorcycle society these days? Maybe with appliances... but not with motorcycles. :nono:

F6B1911
08-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Yea this is my second hosing from Honda.

If you want a good hosing, buy a Motorhome.
If you want a real good hosing, buy a timeshare.
Me, I love my F6B, went into it with a history of many bike purchases.
There's no such thing as a purchase with disposable income that will increase in value.

GNW
08-15-2016, 07:21 AM

Yep sad deal on depreciation, etc. on anything you buy with the cost of things today.
Wife and I rode about 300 miles yesterday with cloud cover and mid 80's temperature.
Made a few stops and at everyone of them I had to admire and talk about that bike to my wife and she still listens like I have never talked about it.
We are older and have motorcycled for over 40 years together. Because of our age we have considered hanging it up, but that damn motorcycle is so everything you would want in a putt !
It's the best motorcycle that I have ever lost money on !
I best get dressed and clean the bugs off it for the next ride.
Turtle Wax Ice Spray and no paint problems for me.

Retired Army
08-15-2016, 07:33 AM
Probably the worst investment I ever made was a Obama gun, it doesn't work and you cant fire it.

53driver
08-15-2016, 07:35 AM
Probably the worst investment I ever made was a Obama gun, it doesn't work and you cant fire it.

It was only chambered in .177 as I recall. No real impact if it did work.....

BIGLRY
08-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Balk! :yikes:

Only eight years...? What is this... a "throw away" motorcycle society these days? Maybe with appliances... but not with motorcycles. :nono:Yep, it is called "Planned Obsolescence" If they made stuff last longer how could they sell new? Vance Packard wrote a book in 1960 called "The Waste Makers" it criticizes planned obsolescence describing the impact of American productivity, especially on the national character, this book along with his 1957 "The Hidden Persuaders" should be a mandatory read in US schools IMO.

Audiochris90
08-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Hilarious.

adventurous1
08-16-2016, 02:34 PM

As with ANY VEHICLE purchase, NEVER, NEVER NEVER purchase ANYTHING NEW. Unless of course you don't mind losing 30 -50 % of it's value within a couple of years. Why does any logical thinking person buy any vehicle / vessel new - when they know that the $$$ value is going to drop like a rock, and then cry about it? Are you a progressive / liberal? lol

In Feb / March I paid 11K cash for a 2013 w/ 4K miles on it w/ warranty thru Nov 2017. The seller also left the purchase price 'blank' on the title and the receipt. Of which, I wrote in 5K and only paid 400 ish in sales tax / reg, etc. Took 2 mths to add accessories (this cost I know I will never get back - except it's what I wanted - which brings huge value to my life). Put 7K worry free miles thru National Parks that most of America only dreams about seeing (and I'm blessed to see them quite often). About to take another 4K x country trip first wk in Sept.

11K brings big value into my life (and I don't mean $$$$). If I only keep it for 5 yrs and sell it for 6K, it only depreciated 1K a year for monstrous enjoyment, wicked majestic vistas, and never ending memories. And, the 1K / I lost I make in just over 2 days of working. lol

Most importantly, "it" is not what something costs you, "it" is how much value it brings into your life. (regardless of what "it" is).

willtill
08-16-2016, 04:02 PM
I hear you about not purchasing new... but I don't trust used.

Even with a warranty... who knows how a vehicle has been treated.... even with low miles. As long as I can comfortably afford new... I'll get it... but if strapped for funds... well... then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do then.

Travelor
08-16-2016, 06:06 PM

Even with a warranty... who knows how a vehicle has been treated.... even with low miles. As long as I can comfortably afford new... I'll get it... but if strapped for funds... well... then a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do then.

Gotta agree here. I have seen too much crap that someone else owned and didn't take care of. Sometimes I even worry that the tech taking it out for a "check" ride will think it belongs to him and do his thing. I never buy used, I would rather do without. This is only my life, may not work for your's and I am not telling anyone how to live their's. Just saying........

3Chief
08-16-2016, 07:47 PM

Agreed, I'm fairly mechanically inclined and even so my last few used vehicle purchases have been nightmares.

Steve 0080
08-16-2016, 08:19 PM
As with ANY VEHICLE purchase, NEVER, NEVER NEVER purchase ANYTHING NEW. Unless of course you don't mind losing 30 -50 % of it's value within a couple of years. Why does any logical thinking person buy any vehicle / vessel new - when they know that the $$$ value is going to drop like a rock, and then cry about it? Are you a progressive / liberal? lol

In Feb / March I paid 11K cash for a 2013 w/ 4K miles on it w/ warranty thru Nov 2017. The seller also left the purchase price 'blank' on the title and the receipt. Of which, I wrote in 5K and only paid 400 ish in sales tax / reg, etc. Took 2 mths to add accessories (this cost I know I will never get back - except it's what I wanted - which brings huge value to my life). Put 7K worry free miles thru National Parks that most of America only dreams about seeing (and I'm blessed to see them quite often). About to take another 4K x country trip first wk in Sept.

11K brings big value into my life (and I don't mean $$$$). If I only keep it for 5 yrs and sell it for 6K, it only depreciated 1K a year for monstrous enjoyment, wicked majestic vistas, and never ending memories. And, the 1K / I lost I make in just over 2 days of working. lol

Most importantly, "it" is not what something costs you, "it" is how much value it brings into your life. (regardless of what "it" is).

I agree! Now that doesn't mean you don't look it over and try it out before buying. I just got a crazy deal on a 2014 Wing. It was used, I changed all the fluids, new brakes and air filter. Hey my wife was used so everything you get is not new!

stroguy
08-16-2016, 08:43 PM
Caution for the flood of flood vehicles flooding the market coming from south Texas and LA and MS. Pays to do a VIN check. Don't get all wet.

speeddrive1
08-16-2016, 09:05 PM
I got mine used and I even have a used yellow lab. Best dam bike and dog ever.

willtill
08-17-2016, 07:56 AM
I agree! Now that doesn't mean you don't look it over and try it out before buying. I just got a crazy deal on a 2014 Wing. It was used, I changed all the fluids, new brakes and air filter. Hey my wife was used so everything you get is not new!

:shock:

:shhh:

:icon_lol:

53driver
08-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Caution for the flood of flood vehicles flooding the market coming from south Texas and LA and MS. Pays to do a VIN check. Don't get all wet.

I heard they were headed to New Jersey to replace all the hurricane Sandy vehicles that were unloaded in Nebraska...

dmize
08-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Have had the full Wing for 2 weeks now,could not be happier.

opas ride
08-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Have had the full Wing for 2 weeks now,could not be happier.

Rumor has it that the 2017 Goldwing will be completely re-designed with a bunch of new upgrades....Might have to trade your current new ride for the next generation if it pans out!! You never know!!!....Ride safe and enjoy